Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brandon Vera.

Preliminary Card

Mike Russow vs. Justin McCully
Nick Catone vs. Mark Munoz
Evan Dunham vs. Matt Veach
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Tim Hague vs. Todd Duffee

Looking forward to this card.

Couture Vs. Nogueira I am pumped for this one. One of these two are looking to make a comeback, and only one of them can. I'm worried for Nogueira in this fight. I'm a huge fan of his, my 2nd all time favorite fighter, but I'm not liking his chances in this fight. Just basing this fight off of recent performances, it looks bad for Nogueira. Randy in his last fight against Lesnar was doing fantastic. He was actually tiring a man of Brock's size in the first round by pressing him against the cage and using dirty boxing. Even though he lost, Randy still looked great. Nogueira on the other hand, did not look like himself in his last fight. There could be many reasons for this, the reason I think it is, is that his chin just ain't the same. Nog has taken too much punishment in his career, and may have overestimated his chin against Mir. I think Mir tagged him too much with uppercuts, and Nog's chin just couldn't handle it like it used to. A completely different Nog needs to show up to the Couture fight. If the same Nog shows up from the Mir fight, then I see Nog suffering a similar fate like he did in the Mir fight. I see Randy pressing Nog against the cage, and using his fantastic dirty boxing to land blows. And generally pick him apart on the feet, while pressing on him. Randy's sprawl and wrestling I see being too much for Nog to takedown. My only hope is that the Nog at least in the Herring fight shows up. Nog showed decent boxing in that fight, and was actually out striking Herring. If that Nog shows up, then he can at least hold his own against Randy on the feet, and hopefully tag him, drop him, and submit him.

I'll say Randy takes this via unanimous decision based on previous performances, but I truly hope a Nog before the Mir fight, or a new one shows up and wins.

Jardine Vs. Silva. Looking forward to this fight. After Jardine's last fight against Rampage, my respect for him has really gone up. For those of you who don't know, 2 out of the 3 judges were gonna give the fight to Jardine had he not been dropped by Rampage in the last 10 seconds of the fight. Had he been not tagged by Rampage in the last 10 seconds of the fight, Jardine would actually hold a win over The Quinton Rampage Jackson. Even though he lost, Jardine looked fantastic in that fight, so fantastic it almost earned him the win, and it proved he does not have a glass chin. He got tagged by Rampage clean in the last 10 seconds, and managed to get right back up. Which is impressive since Rampage is considered to have hands of steel. I see Jardine's fight with Thiago Silva being similar to his fight with Rampage. Thiago like Rampage likes to stand and bang, and has knock out power, but unlike Rampage, Thiago doesn't have a chin like him, nor is his striking as technical as Rampage's in my opinion. I see Thiago coming forward and trying to knock out Jardine, but failing. Like in the Rampage fight, I see Jardine picking apart Thiago with leg kicks, and using footwork to keep himself out of danger, and throw awkward shots from good angles. Since Thiago's chin doesn't seem to be too strong since he has been dropped a few times before, I got Jardine by 2nd round TKO.

Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt. Not sure how this fight made it on the main card, must be Leben's fanbase I assume. I haven't seen much from Rosholt outside of 2 fights. One in the WEC which he won, and his fight at the UFC fight night in February where he got submitted, but with being 5-1, there isn't much else to see. Looks like this might just be a tune up fight for Leben. As most probably know, Leben is a aggressive wild striker with a iron chin. Rosholt is apparently a good wrestler looking at his credentials, but a portions of his fights I saw with him were on the feet, but I don't think this will happen here. I see Rosholt most likely taking advantage of his wrestling base and try to keep Leben down. Not sure how to call this one since I don't know much about Rosholt, and there isn't much to know about him. Either Rosholt lays and prays, or Leben knocks him on his way to a takedown I think.

Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia. Another fight I'm really looking forward to. The winner of this fight is most likely next in line for a title shot after Henderson. I see Maia being in deep trouble in this fight. Maia is as one dimensional as they come. Difference is he's the best in his division at his one dimensional jiu jitsu, but nonetheless I see him in trouble in this fight. Marquardt is a huge middleweight, I'm not even sure how he cuts to MW. Everytime I see him I find it hard to believe he's a middleweight, probably doesn't have an ounce of fat in him. Aside from being a big guy, Marquardt is also a Black Belt in BJJ. A bad combination for Maia. Now I know there's a big difference between being a black belt, and a world class black belt, but when you're as big as Marquardt, and a black belt, I don't think Maia is gonna be able to take him down. I see Marquardt defending Maia's takedown, and sprawling. On the feet I see Marquardt's stand up dominating Maia's. I say Marquardt takes this one by TKO, but I'll be cheering for Maia.

Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brandon Vera Shame, Matt Hammil was suppose to fight Vera, but had to pull out. This will make it Krzysztof's 3rd fight in 5 months. You have to wonder if maybe the lack of rest might get to him. Vera has been through a very up and down career as of recent. Losing most of his fights against top competition in the past 3 years. Though since his move to Light heavyweight he has been looking much better. I see Vera using his and vicious leg kicks to outstrike Krzysztof. Krzysztof ain't a bad striker, but I don't think he can hang with Vera on the feet. Krzysztof most likely has the advantage on the ground, winning a good number of his fights with his signature Kimura. I'm not sure how to call this, but I think Vera will take it. I see Vera throwing vicious leg kicks to Krzysztof's thigh and leg area, thus hurting his takedown power. I see Vera picking apart his leg, and either go on to outstrike him and TKO Krzysztof, or win by Decision.

I have to be honest... this is the worst UFC pay-per-view card I've seen in quite some time. Two of the fights interests me, with only one (the main event) that I really, really care about. But that's it.

Randy Couture vs. Nogueira.... impossible to call. Absolutely impossible. The fight is either going to be an absolute classic, or end up being as absolute borefest. As far as I think who'll win... I'll have to go with Randy Couture, even if the 2004 Nogueira shows up to fight. While Nog is a tremendous fighter and I am a big fan, Randy Couture is Randy Couture, and that's all I need to know to pick him to win. I have the utmost respect for this man, and I would pick him against pretty much anyone, even at age 46. Maybe even at age 50, lol. Nog will put up a much better fight against him than he did against Mir I'm sure, but at the end of the day... I don't think he has what it takes to defeat him. Couture will win via unanimous decision.

I could not care less for the Keith Jardine/Thiago Silva fight. I don't like either fighter, and I don't think either one of them will make any sort of impact in the UFC's Light Heavyweight Division whatsoever. One will look good, one will look bad, and the one who looks good will go on to lose their next fight, and the one who looks bad will go on to win their next fight. But I'll go with Thiago Silva defeating Keith Jardine. I never thought too much of Silva, even before the Machida fight, but at least he has an impressive record. Keith Jardine, on the other hand, is one of the most inconsistent fighters in the game. But saying that, Thiago Silva is the type of guy he defeats out of nowhere (like he did Forrest) and gets everyone start thinking the guy is worth a shit, only for him to put on a completely embarrassing showing in his next fight. So, who knows? I personally do not care.

I'm a big Chris Leben fan, so I'll be rooting for him in his fight against Jake Rosholt, but I don't know anything about Rosholt, so it's hard for me to really look forward to this. I mean, if Leben wins, he beats a nobody and most likely goes on to fight another nobody in a couple of months, and if he loses... well, either he'll fight another nobody in a couple of months, or he'll get released out of his contract. Personally, and I hate to say this... but I wouldn't mind Leben leaving the UFC. I think there are way more interesting options for him outside that company than there is in it. Do you agree with that Marquis, if you read this?

Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia was the other fight I'm interested in, though I'd be much more interested if the winner was promised a title shot soon after the fight, instead of Dan Henderson receiving it instead. But anyway, I respect and like Marquardt. He's a great fighter, but I don't think he has what it takes to defeat someone like Maia. I see Maia tapping his ass out in the 2nd or 3rd.

I can't stand neither Krzysztof Soszynski or Brandon Vera, so like the Thiago/Jardine fight... I could not care less about this. I'm extremely disappointed Matt Hamill had to pull out of this one. Hamill vs. Vera would've intrigued me much, MUCH more. But fuck Krzysztof. What an annoying, worthless piece of shit he is. I see Vera knocking his ass out in the 1st or 2nd.

As far as the prelims go... nothing interests me. I mean, I hope McCully and Gonzaga win their fights, but other than that.... shit fight after shit fight.

Seriously... this card should be on free tv. Hell, the free show they have coming in September is better than this card, in my opinion. But I guess different strokes, huh?

I think there are way more interesting options for him outside that company than there is in it. Do you agree with that Marquis, if you read this?
I do agree. There's some great middleweight sluggers outside the UFC that could have match of the year type matches with someone like Leben. There's Robbie Lawler, who loves to bang. Although I wouldn't call Mayhem Miller a slugger, a match up with him I would like to see. Nick Diaz of course, very well rounded, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Diaz just stand bang with Leben, plus Diaz should be more confident that his striking is better. Leben Vs. Diaz I think would no doubt be a MOTY contender. Then there's Gegard Mousasi, a great kickboxer, but also has a great ground game. I would hope if this fight does go down that Leben gains some notable takedown defense, but nonetheless a interesting fight. A fight with Frank Shamrock would also be another great stand up war I'm sure.

Then there's the best for last, a fight with Melvin Manhoef. If Leben and Manhoef were to go at it, it either becomes one of the most gruesome fights in MMA, or quickest. I can guarantee we would see nothing close to the ground in this fight. Someone is gonna get knocked out no matter what. I honestly would be more interested in Leben Vs. Manhoef over Leben Vs. Wanderlei. It's shame Vitor is in the UFC now or else that would have been a great matchup, but who knows, we might see it in the UFC.

Hey Guys, I am pretty new to MMA and still learning about this great sport,
so please if I make any terminology blunders or anything of that sort please correct me as I am trying to become more educated about this subject. I look forward to posting more in the MMA section.

Randy Couture vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira

Very, very excited about this one, as Big Nog is probably my favorite MMA fighter of all time. That being said I do not see him coming out on top here. Randy is still in incredible shape to be a youthful 46, and with his last fight with Lesnar proved (even though he lost) that he still can hang with the best UFC has to offer. Nog looked awful in his fight with Mir, but I'm hoping and praying that Nog doesn't show up performing like that and performs like he used to. My pick is Couture by unanimous decision

Thiago Silva vs Keith Jardine

I'm really not a fan of either of these guys but I see Thiago Silva winning this one. Of course this is pretty much a pure guess since I see no real way to call this one, as this is probaly going to be a stand up war, with the real possiblity of it going either way.Silva so far has been more consistent with his MMA career as is seems that Jardine has lost every other fight since his fight with Mike Whithead. I predict a Thiago Silva Win by KO in the 2nd Round.

Chris Leben vs Jake Rosholt

Not really sure who Rosholt is. Apparently he is a talented wrestler? Never the less I am hoping for a Leben victory, he's not too bad on the ground himself and should be able to hold his own, but is this Rosholt a a decent striker? If he plans on just primarily using his wrestling abilty, I think that Leben will KO him quite easily. I wish I could say more about this fight but not knowing who one of the fighters are I can't make a prediction.

Demian Maia vs Nate Marquardt

The second most inticipated match of the night for myself. Demain Maia also is one of my favorite fighters, and Nate Marqaurdt is great competetion for the 10-0 Maia. I am not underestimating Nate in any way, he is a great wrestler, and overall a fantastic fighter, but I cannot picture him beating Demain Maia. Maybe he could take him if he keeps the whole fight standing up, as I think that Nate would have the edge there, but this fight is probably going the the ground real fast .I predict a Demain Maia win by submission in the 3rd. Nates definitely tough enough to take it to the 3rd,but I think it stops there.

I could really care less about the Vera/Soszynski as I am not too familiar with both names. So this one to me doesn't really matter

This is tonight, isn't it? Based on the buzz around here and on TV in general, this isn't anywhere near the last couple of PPVs, but I guess that's what happens when you stack a couple of events. I'm not a huge MMA guy, but I think I'm informed enough to say something about each match.

Couture v. Nogueria- Both of these guys are past their prime and I can't see either one of them making a huge impact in the Heavyweight Division. Couture hasn't beaten a really good fighter in 5 years and Nog got completely dominated by Mir in his last fight. I'm not sure who to go with here, I don't think Couture will get caught in a submission though, so I guess he will take this by decision.

Jardine v. Sliva- Apparantly both of these guys want to stand for most of the fight, so it should be exciting. Personally, I've never been that impressed with Jardine. Maybe it's his weird monkey style, but he just doens't seem that dangerous in there. I think Silva is a very good striker, and good on the ground. I think he'll knock Jardine out.

Leben v. That other guy- Rosholt I think it is? I actually am not sure who he is. I haven't been too impressed by Leben, but I guess he's a good striker and is more well known, so I guess he'll win.

Demian Maia vs Nate Marquardt- Classic stand up v. ground game matchup. I think that Marquardt may be in over his head here, I think Maia will be able to get the fight on the ground and submit him in the 1st round.

Vera v. Soszynski - I really like Brandon Vera, I guess because he's such a cocky jackass. He's very talented, but I wonder if he'll overlook Soszyniski here, who is solid. I think Vera should and will win this here, and I think he has a chance to get on a roll with this fight.

Man oh man am I glad I didn't waste my money on this UFC 102. Not that it was a bad card or anything but I sure as hell would have looked like a jackass. Every single main card fight I had the wrong guy picked besides Marquardt beating Maias ass. My hats off to all those who won though.

I can't do a full on review, but I have to say; Nog vs. Coturue is seriously in the running for the absolute best fight I've ever seen live. I think it was better then Bonnar/Griffin too me, it was just so exciting. They both showed just how damn good they both truly are, but Coture...Jesus he showed once again that he is not human. I wish there were 2 more rounds, those two deserved it; they truly did. I cannot wait to see a potential rematch as those two were just...magical together.

Great fuckin event, the main event alone made this event great.

Handy Vs. The Fuckin Minotauro Nogueira. He's back, Minotauro is back and I have never seen him look better in the UFC. This is hands down in my book his best performance in the UFC. His boxing looked crisp, and yet again proved he does have some serious deadly boxing that some seem to overlook. His ground game looked fantastic as usual sweeping Handy twice onto his back. Just a all around great performance bt Minotauro. The only thing that bothered me about this fight is that Minotauro could have ended it in the first round. In the first round Minotauro knocked Randy down with a punch, that looked like Randy was out for a bit, but instead of pounding away at Handy and ending it, he deiced to go for a submission since it seems like he wanted to submit Handy which is very damn hard and rare to do. If Minotauro skipped on that choke attempt, and tried to pound away at Handy I'm sure the fight would have ended there. Nonetheless fantastic performance by Nog, he looked like a completely different person from the Mir fight. I like Mir, I'm a big fan of his, and I don't want to take anything away from him, but after seeing Nog against Handy, Nog had something wrong with him in that Mir fight. Great fight, damn fuckin happy at how great Nog looked.

Thiago Silva Vs. Keith Jardine. Oh Jardine, how you make me wonder. Somehow Jardine manages to eat solid shots from Rampage Jackson, yet gets back up, but a shot from Thiago puts him out. I guess Thiago just has more power in his hands. Jardine's chin really makes me wonder if it's decent or glass, but anyway. Jardine was looking good, looked like he was using his game plan of catching Thiago with his powerful kicks, but I guess Thiago saw through his plan and caught with a counter left if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure it was a left. Congratulations to Thiago, watching the countdown to UFC 102 showed the guy had a damn rough upbringing, and so I'm sure he's really damn happy to be in the UFC making a good living for himself. Hopefully they now give me the Thiago Silva Vs. Luiz Cane fight I've been wanting.

Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia. Damn did this fight stun me a bit. I mean obviously most, if not all, expected Marquardt to dominate Maia on the feet, but to knock him out that quick. Honestly, this makes me realize even more that fighters have to be real damn careful with those lazy low leg kicks. Sylvia threw one, and Mercer caught him since it left him open, now Maia throws one, and Marquardt catches him. Fighters should really try to throw that low leg kick quicker, and move out of the way fast, or move their head, but anyway. Well I expected Marquardt to win, just not so quick. I'm more of a Maia fan, but I'm glad Marquardt won. Marquardt is a way more well rounded fighter then Maia, so obviously I see him giving Anderson the bigger challenge. It was nice of Marquardt not to pound away at Maia while he was down, but that could cost him a fight finisher somewhere down the line if he doesn't pounce.

Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brandon Vera. Good fight. It's really looking like Vera is getting used to cutting to light heavyweight. He managed to go a full 3 rounds without even looking like he broke a sweat. Krzysztof just got out classed by the better fighter. Vera was picking him apart on the feet with his vicious leg kicks, and when Krzysztof went for a takdown, Vera showed his great takedown defense and shaked off the takedowns and went right back to striking. It's good to see Vera back on track, a win over Krzysztof should hopefully earn him a fight against a top 10 LHW.

I've only watched the main event, so my thoughts on all the other fights are determined by Sherdog's play by play.

Anyway, Couture vs. Nog is currently the Fight of the Year in my book. Fantastic fight. Both guys looked tremendous, and both went balls out to entertain the fans. However, and this isn't to take away anything from Nog's amazing performance, but I think entertaining the fans and having a great fight in front of his hometown was Randy's focus more so than it was winning. Randy did not fight like his normal self at all. Did he look good? Yes, but that is not the Randy Couture we've watched since his debut. But still... Nog looked fucking awesome. Like Marquis said, his boxing just couldn't have been any better. Even though I'm a huge fan of Mir, I'm now 100% sure there was something seriously wrong with Nog when he fought Mir, because the Nog we saw tonight, who looked like the Nog we all loved in PRIDE before coming to the UFC, would have either beaten the living shit out of Mir, or at least put up a MUCH better fight.

But yeah... great, great fight. Couture has nothing to be ashamed of, and I'm sure he'll rebound from this. As far as Nog... I would now like to see a rematch with Mir, and if he wins, give him the winner of Lesnar/Carwin. That seems to be the most logical way to go with him right now.

I'm very disappointed in Demian Maia. What a pathetic showing. And lol at Marquardt calling out Anderson Silva. He already had his chance and got his ass fucking owned. It would happen again and again. He needs to worry about Dan Henederson anyway, because that's a huge ass whoopin' for him right there.

After watching the Countdown to UFC 102, I became a much bigger fan of Thiago Silva, so I was very happy to see he won tonight. I still don't believe, however, that he will ever make a serious impact in the UFC Light Heavyweight Division. But there are some great fights for him in the future. Personally, I think he'd be the perfect first opponent for Lil' Nog. As far as Jardine, I'm not surprised in the least bit. He'll win his next fight and have everyone believe in him again, and then get his ass kicked in the fight after that. But the guy does enough to keep that UFC contract. You have to give him that much.

Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brandon Vera... meh, fuck 'em both. I don't care. Neither are going to make anything of themselves in the division anyway.

Sad to hear Chris Leben lost tonight. Sherdog said he won the second round and was doing quite well. Shame he got caught. But like I said here a couple of weeks ago... hopefully he might get out of his contract now and move on to Strikeforce, where his best fights await him. :)

And the Prelims looked like shit. Gonzaga beat a can, no surprise there. Herman hurt his knee, which sucks. And the 'American Fedor' looked to have gotten his ass handed to him by some no name.

I wish I had a total analysis on the Couture Nog fight... but damn.. I'm still just so.. Pleasantly shocked at just how incredible that fight was. I felt like the only person where I was that was confident in Nog.. That guy has the record he does for a reason, and I have a great feeling over the next few PPVs we're going to see that old Nogueira show his face more and more. And I'm looking forward to it with all the new blood in the company. He's nothing short of scientist and artist when it comes to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, as is beyond obvious after last night. I'm very new to being so interested in this incredible sport, and his performance only furthered my interest in training a bit in the BJJ art form.

All that love for Nog aside... All I can say towards Couture is... DAMN. I have so much fucking respect after seeing him escape that match without tapping. I haven't really been a Randy fan before, but I have not seen enough of him either. After last night I really need to pick some stuff up featuring his fights, and am more than open to any suggestions of where to start.

I haven't really been a Randy fan before, but I have not seen enough of him either. After last night I really need to pick some stuff up featuring his fights, and am more than open to any suggestions of where to start.

Randy Couture vs. Vitor Belfort 1 from UFC 15 is a GREAT place to start. It's the fight that made Randy. Nobody thought he stood a chance, and he completely shocked the World.

The other fight where nobody expected him to win, but once again he over came the odds, was his first fight against Chuck Liddell, who seemed unbeatable at the time just like Belfort back in the day. That is a must watch for not only a fan of Randy Couture, but a fan of MMA period.

And his two fights against Pedro Rizzo from UFC 31 and UFC 34 are must see as well. Both are absolute classics.

What a great fight that was, totally agree with everyone on that front. I wasn't looking forward to this card as much as the last few (which have been stellar), but I knew the Nog-Couture fight was going to be a good one. I just didn't know it was going to be THAT good. That may just have been the fight of the year thus far. I was impressed by how damn long Randy was able to hold on, there were several moments that I thought he was done, and he just kept holding on. Couture has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of here, he made a valiant effort and in my opinion has proven he's not nearly ready to hang up the gloves yet.

Nog was simply too good for Randy that night. Simply a hell of a fight, and one I'm going to have to rewatch a few times.

Even though I'm a huge fan of Mir, I'm now 100% sure there was something seriously wrong with Nog when he fought Mir, because the Nog we saw tonight, who looked like the Nog we all loved in PRIDE before coming to the UFC, would have either beaten the living shit out of Mir, or at least put up a MUCH better fight.

I said the exact same thing sitting in the smokey bar in Buxton, North Carolina Saturday night after watching that fight. Anyone who, like myself, based their opinion of Nog in his dismantling at the hands of Mir made a massive misjudgement. It even makes me wonder if, had Nog beaten Mir, whether Lesnar would be champ right now.

Oh Jardine, how you make me wonder. Somehow Jardine manages to eat solid shots from Rampage Jackson, yet gets back up, but a shot from Thiago puts him out. I guess Thiago just has more power in his hands. Jardine's chin really makes me wonder if it's decent or glass, but anyway.

Will the real keith Jardine PLEASE stand up, PLEASE stand up, PLEASE stand up...

Marquis on Marquardt vs Maia said:
Damn did this fight stun me a bit.

Not me. I called it. Nate the Great is a fucking battleship. I became the fan when I read his spread in Muscle & Fitness. He's the real deal, and his work ethic is sick. He's got gold in his future, take THAT to the bank. Him and Ryan Bader are on my "guys to watch to win gold in the next 3 years" list.

Good fight. It's really looking like Vera is getting used to cutting to light heavyweight. He managed to go a full 3 rounds without even looking like he broke a sweat. Krzysztof just got out classed by the better fighter.

Absolutely true. Becky and I liked Krzy alot from TUF, but he was undeniably outclassed by a superior fighter. I look at Vera as a guy with a world of potential who hasn't tapped into it yet. Maybe now he finally will, though in a stacked LHW division.

Didn't the commentators mention something about Nog battling a staph infection before and leading up to the Mir fight? I could be wrong, I was throwing a few back haha.

Didn't the commentators mention something about Nog battling a staph infection before and leading up to the Mir fight? I could be wrong, I was throwing a few back haha.

Yes, that was reported. But you always hear those kinds of excuses, whether it's a staff infection or bad back or ankle injury. When someone gets their ass kicked and you hear the fighter who loss mention ANYTHING about an injury prior to the fight, you automatically assume he's trying to sell us an excuse of why he lost. And most of the time we don't buy it, because they just don't seem legitimate, but it's apparent Nog's was. He was hospitalized for the staff infection (I forgot how long), and I guess he just had too much pride to drop out of the fight.

Hopefully a rematch between he and Mir is in the works. That'd actually be a PERFECT co-main event for supposedly the UFC's Network debut in a few months, which is rumored to be headlined by BJ Penn and Diego Sanchez.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of crap like that in the past... but I think assuming a guy as good an honorable/reputable as Nog is pulling a stunt like that is ridiculous. He's been around long enough, and has more respect for the competitive art than most of these newer guys. I'm sure you heard a quarter as much of that crap in the UFC world pre-Dana and before people started to realize this was a worth while sport six or seven years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back