Two World Championships, One Pay Per View

Ceen

Pre-Show Stalwart
I was just looking to the Greatest Royal Rumble amd the two World Championship matches for it, and a question rounded my mind. After the PPV unification, we are heading before TLC’13? One World Champion is gonna be in the card as a filler, we are gonna have more World Champions but less relevant, with both brands colliding, until an unification. Do you think it is good, it’s bad, what they should do about it...

My proposal would be to have only the WWE Championship, as the Intercontiental and United States Championships can be higher card titles, and the Cruiserweight and (insert, maybe a 24/7 or Network Championship) can play as the low tier. They can keep brands, just make it look relevant!

The think is that while it would be a good idea for them to unify the top championship and only one world title representing both brand, business wise, it doesn't make sense. The thing is that WWE still feel that the live event business is as important as the TV side of the product so at some point, they will have somebody beat lesnar for the universal title and continue the way they we're doing it before the lesnar title reign with having both world champion defend their title on live event.

Fans that goes to these live event want to see a world championship being defended. So that's a big attraction point for those show. If you have a choice between having the universal or WWE championship match as the top match on the card or a u.s/ic title match as the top match, which one do you choose. You probably going to go to the show that as the world title match on it because it feel like a bigger deal then having a mid card title as the main event.

So for that reason alone, i think WWE won't be unifying the title anytime soon, because in the end, they will make more money with 2 world titles then with just one.

The dual branded pay-per-view system makes it possible for a fighting world champion to fill the void that a largely absent world champion leaves. At least to an extent. In terms of title unification, I think that is far off in the horizon. One of the challenges to unification is WWE has put a ton of stock in the Universal Title. I would even venture to say that the Universal Title currenly outranks the WWE Title. If WWE unified the world titles, either the WWE Title would disappear or fade into obscurity or the Universal Title would get absorbed and essentially decommissioned. I think WWE has invested so much into the two world titles that they will be extremely reluctant to marginalize either one too significantly.

This is a subject that has been discussed and debated over and over again since 2001. The WWE has tried multiple lineups for their Championship Title Belts, and the one constant is that they can never please everybody. I’ve been on both sides of this argument. At this point in time, I don’t even know what I prefer anymore. Unify them, separate them, mix and match them, I don’t know / care anymore. The only actual opinion I have in regards to Championship Titles is that every pay per view should have the Night Of Champions format.

This is why Lesnar is so great. People say he's selfish, but by not showing up a lot it gives other people/belts the chance to shine.

No Count Pup said:
The dual branded pay-per-view system makes it possible for a fighting world champion to fill the void that a largely absent world champion leaves. At least to an extent. In terms of title unification, I think that is far off in the horizon. One of the challenges to unification is WWE has put a ton of stock in the Universal Title. I would even venture to say that the Universal Title currenly outranks the WWE Title. If WWE unified the world titles, either the WWE Title would disappear or fade into obscurity or the Universal Title would get absorbed and essentially decommissioned. I think WWE has invested so much into the two world titles that they will be extremely reluctant to marginalize either one too significantly.

Never thought of it like that but I agree that title unification isn't likely anytime soon.

Keep 2 World Champions

Simple fix....

These 2 matches close the shows and rotate the brand closing every other PPV. Just look at what Backlash could be....

Reigns vs. Joe (Universal Title)
Nakamura vs. Styles (3rd and final chapter - 2 out of 3 falls or Iron Man Match)

Should be one set of champions and either do the below:

Scenario A
All champions appear on both shows, and when a match is set for a PPV all challengers are also eligible for both shows.

Scenario B
World champion appears on both shows, US belt on one show, IC on the other. Womens and tag can either also be floating or have Womens on one show and tag on the other.

That's my main pet hate about the brand extension, the fact the titles have been crapped on. The amount of unifications/de unifications/new titles coming in/title retirements/part timers holding the belts have just devalued all the belts. Couldn't imagine Rock and Austin at WM17 for the Universal title with the crowd chanting for Y2J, ECW or HBK and another world title match on the card. Fast forward 17 years to WM34 and that is what happened, swapping Rock and Austin for Lesnar and Reigns and the chants for Beach Ball Mania, CM Punk and Rusev Day.

I think there should be only 1 main title - WWE Championship. While WWE need a space for midcarders to shine, so midcard should stay different for RAW and SD, main event talent should be the same for both TV shows, with like 6 guys, like in Attitude era, when they had Austin, Rock, HHH, Angle, Taker being pushed all at the same time and you should be a really great talent to join and stay in WWF title picture.
Current main event should be Lesnar, Reigns, Styles, Joe, Strowman, Cena

As long as the brands are split, there has to be two world titles.

Keep 2 World Champions

Simple fix....

These 2 matches close the shows and rotate the brand closing every other PPV. Just look at what Backlash could be....

Reigns vs. Joe (Universal Title)
Nakamura vs. Styles (3rd and final chapter - 2 out of 3 falls or Iron Man Match)

So let's say one title match is Rock vs Austin (Raw) and the other is Hornswoggle vs El Torito (SD). Let's say it is SD's turn for the main event. Would you put Hornswoggle/Torito on last? Rock and Austin would burn out the crowd if put before the main event. WWE must book based off managing the crowd and not by arbitrary rules (WMX8 is a great example of this).

And now for the problem of one world champion that switches brands every month. Try booking a long feud with that system. You can't. That is why there must be two if the brands are split. There is no way to make one work that doesn't cause booking problems.

I'm against all PPV's being dual-branded. It allowed for others to get a chance on major events and my concern is that this will turn into the same people being on every PPV event with little changing other than the match gimmicks. It was more exciting in the last couple years with there being more variety in the matchups. I felt this way during the first brand extension also. That being said, with there being two World Champions they should alternate who main events. Some shows can have the Universal Championship main event (assuming Brock even shows up or that he loses the title to a full-timer) while other shows can have the World Heavyweight Championship closing them. Heck, they could try having the Raw Women's or Smackdown Women's Championship matches closing too. Alternating between four different titles allows for many different main events across the year. Two World Championships on the same one pay per view is a completely fine structure so long as they go about it right. In the last brand extension the big gold belt felt more like a glorified midcard title in the end and I would hate to see the prestigious WWE World Championship suffer the same fate.

I think Backlash killed my post... No respect for the WORLD championship.
For me, we should go back to the PPV with two months between them, and make Specials on Saturday's PPV, just to cover both brands, only for "collide" in the Big 4. Seeing Backlash after NJPW is not recommended...

Backlash killed every wrestler involved, women's division credibility and fans interest. WM was bad, considering the names involved, GRR was "direct to botchamania", and Backlash was a bloody shot in both legs. If WWE was closed right after, will the fans who saw Backlash even care at all, this show was WCW 2001 bad level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back