Two Major Changes Coming To Forum?

JenksIX

Pre-Show Stalwart
Well tonight's Impact seemed to have a bit of hype and I was checking in on the LD a few times to see what was being said (like how the hell did Gunner get busted open?) Sometimes the negativity in those threads is so blatant and uncalled for that I've wondered if people were being paid to bash TNA. Turns out, some are!

Anyway, while I was checking in and out, I noticed Sly's thread about "Two Major Changes" coming to the forum. So I'd like to add my opinion ...

I don't think this would occur to anyone aside from me and J4L(and if it's true, mods who are privy too the goings on in the boardroom), as Sly's actual announcements probably will not occur to anyone who doesn't already know.

My guess, is that one of the announcements will be the closing of The Prison section. The prison never really has more then two serious posters(at a time) who legitimately want to be released and stick around in order to do so. And though apparently meant for rehabilitation for those unable to post well, The Prison is usually occupied by people like myself who know how to post, what spam and non-spam is and have a little bit of knowledge on the world of professional wrestling and other relevant subjects.

You rarely see one of the WWE's non-spam section spammers in here and if you do, they don't last a week and/or don't even know that their name has been changed and how to log in. What you do see is people who have caused a ruckus or been annoying(trolls), created alts, people who have been perma banned and re-instated etc.

My guess is that there is already a solid system in place as far as banning and infractions goes that makes the prison unnecessary. For people who spam or might use a racial/homophobic slur, they receive infractions and if they want to stay on the forum, they are given more then enough leniency with five infractions before they're banned.

As for other annoying/troll type members, there are also 1 week bans that will teach offenders not to piss the mods off. If you have no infractions and receive a 1 week ban, there is a possibilty that a good poster might get caught up in the heat of the moment and do something stupid. I'm not sure if this is already in place, but I think a 1 month ban as a last chance would be generous and if that poster were to screw up a third time, then there is no excuse and they'd be rightfully banned.

Btw, I'm not sure how infractions work after someone receives a 1 week ban (like what happens if you got a 1 week ban and then two lined a non-spam post.)

Anyway, aside from there already being a good system of warnings, infractions and banning in place, I think the prison sometimes takes away from larger discussions in other parts of the forum. I'm in here to strike discussion and sometimes there is good non-spam discussion(as well as spam discussion) that goes on, that might do better being in the normal non-spam and spam sections then here in The Prison were less people will actually read it. Also, the non-prisoner posters will not receive credit towards their post count when they post a non-spam in here. In their time posting in here, someone like The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Iuakea or the Naitch might have amassed a good 50-100 non-spam posts about wrestling, movies, etc.
Now they'd never complain about it, but a non-prisoner shouldn't lose out on non-spam posts just because a prisoner thought up a thread that might be worthwhile and not already on the main board.

So this is why I think The Prison's closing might be one of the answers. It might sound "outside the box," but that's because it's coming from someone outside the box (or inside the box, depending on how you look at it.)

As for the second announcement, I'm sure I have no idea whatsoever. A new admin might be it. Lol, I doubt my release would be one of the announcements, but you never know right :blush:
Heh, anyway it's kind of exciting to see what happens, as I watch through my narrow cell door.

Jenks has a good point here. The prison is a benefit to the posters and really has no other use to the staff other then entertainment. If they want somebody out of their hair, they could simply ban them.

Although I do think the Prison actually works in some situations in ways of rehabilitation, it's not like Sly's and KB's self esteem will be too greatly improved at the thought of making a user a better poster, but in the end it does make the forums a better place, and that's what the goal of an admin is.

But really the Prison isn't too big and was only made by Jake to keep him entertained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back