• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Triple H Taking A Beating (or beatings)....Is It Necessary?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
I thought about this after watching Vince VS Shane from Wrestlemania 17 the other day, and I'm still of two minds about Triple H's wrestling future.

Vince McMahon was a dastardly and vile villain, but when the time came, Vince always took his deserved beating. Just think about all the humiliating Wrestlemania thrashings from Shane (with some help from Linda and Foley), Hogan, Shawn, and Bret. Well, when you compare it to Vince's other Wrestlemania matches, the match with Bret is very tamed. Still, Vince didn't get one single shot in on Bret (from what I remember), and Bret dominated the entire match.

By all rights, you can say Triple H is Vince's replacement, as the maniacal tyrant. Corporate heel Triple H hasn't wrestled a match, but I believe things will change at Wrestlemania XXX. Paul Levesque might be a forty-four year old man, but he's still in great shape, and he's more than capable of delivering an entertaining match.

Triple H has to take his real punishment in the ring at some point, but I wonder if a simple loss is enough. Maybe Triple H deserves more than a pinfall or submission loss in his comeuppance match (or matches)? Throw him around, have him go through a table, or let him suffer a series shots some kind of weapon before the final blow. Think of how the live crowd erupted, when Big Show knocked out Triple a little while ago. When you consider all of his slimy deeds during the corporate heel run, you have to believe a Big Show knockout was just the tip of the ice berg.

Although, I run into a conundrum, when I consider the quality of Triple H's recent matches. The Wrestlemania 28 match with Undertaker, the steel cage match with Brock this year. Fact of the matter is, Triple H can still go in the ring, so there's a chance you could diminish his mystique as top level competitor, if he takes a savage beating in a match.

So with all that said, is a simple loss via submission or pinfall enough for Triple H's punishment? Or should Triple take a beating, a real beating?

The Triple H character has been pretty well protected for years and usually the point of anything in pro wrestling is once it's had it's best days you use that built up cache to pay it forward. Triple H has lost matches, but for him to be destroyed the way he destroyed Taker at Mania 27 would elevate someone beyond a simple submission win.

The other thing for me is that he's insufferably smug and acts like the coolest and smartest guy in the room all of the time, which is fine now he's a heel, but they need to have him humiliated to offset this a bit and help the faces who've gotten very little on him since he turned heel.

A savage beating on HHH is a possibility. Necessity would depend on how much the crowd really loath him. He is still very good inside the ring so a beating during a match is out of question. The possibility comes from him losing a match to a beloved hero (Daniel Bryan may be) and then the locker room comes down the ring and gives him what he deserves (though I doubt that'll happen because faces don't do anything after the match, they celebrate their hard fought win).

May be 20 years from now it's a possibility. 64 year old HHH getting his after all the years of tyranny.;)

Vince was far more hated than Triple H and the notion of him wrestling makes more sense. If we think about it, why on earth would we think say Bryan or The Big Show would be capable of beating Triple H. He is one of the best of all time and his last few matches include beating Brock Lesnar and almost ending the streak.

Vince, however, isn't a wrestler. He was the bad guy boss that everyone wanted to see get the beating he deserved. That is what made it more interesting. If Triple H is to wrestle at WM30 then it is a completely different dynamic. He can actually put on a good match and it would be as simple as him taking a few bumps.

Triple H definitely should get a beating. It makes sense for justice to be served after him acting like a tyrant. That being said, there aren't many options. Like I said, Bryan and The Big Show are the only that come to mind. Other than that I think The Rock is the only serious name that has been mentioned.

So yes, Triple H should be in a match. He should lose and take a proper beating. Even a tiny we bit of blood for this one occasion to show how much he is suffering. From whom this beating his delivered I have no idea. I suppose Bryan is an obvious choice but he has been less involved in this story. I really don't want to see Big Show/HHH at Wrestlemania. Maybe Team Hell No could have a reunion.

I don't think that Triple H has to worry about being diminished. He's done far too much and has generally been protected far too well for his stock to go down.

It's true that Triple H can still very much go and he's still in great shape. However, as has been mentioned, he's 44 years old. He's in great shape, far better shape than most men half his age for that matter, but he's still getting older and he's somebody that's suffered very significant injuries in a business that's known for its wear & tear on the human body. There's really nothing else for Triple H to do in WWE, he's already done it all and he's done it all multiple times, so I believe the best overall use for him now that he wrestles on very rare occasions is for him to ultimately put over other talent.

Also, as has already been mentioned, there are a couple of guys that fans would LOVE to see ultimately kick Triple H's ass and beat him in a match. There's Big Show, of course, but the problem with Big Show is that we've already seen it lots of times before. As of right now, I think that the only two guys on the main roster who ultimately have a lot to gain by beating Triple H would be Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. There's still a good deal of unfinished business between CM Punk and Triple H from a couple of years back. With the possibility of Trips being the one behind the attacks from The Wyatt Family & The Shield, maybe it's something that could be started up again. As for Daniel Bryan, it's pretty obvious given that Triple H spent the past few months screwing Bryan out of the WWE Championship. The way things ended in that program leaves things wide open for it to be started up again at a later time, which is something that, reportedly, has been discussed.

Triple H, man if I had this overwhelming feeling of "Fuck you you son of a bitch! I hope Daniel Bryan snaps you're arm off", he'd be a great heel. But these days, I just don't wanna see him in this role. To be honest I'd take Stephanie coz she sells the verbal barbs a better and doesn't just smirk like Hunter.

If he'd disappear tomorrow I wouldn't care to be honest.

By all rights, you can say Triple H is Vince's replacement, as the maniacal tyrant. Corporate heel Triple H hasn't wrestled a match, but I believe things will change at Wrestlemania XXX. Paul Levesque might be a forty-four year old man, but he's still in great shape, and he's more than capable of delivering an entertaining match.
Completely agree. Which is why I wouldn't have HHH take a complete beating in a match. While he hasn't wrestled since Extreme Rules, he's young enough and obviously in good enough shape that he could and should have a competitive match. One he should lose, but as a veteran with his track record, the match should be competitive.

Maybe Triple H deserves more than a pinfall or submission loss in his comeuppance match (or matches)? Throw him around, have him go through a table, or let him suffer a series shots some kind of weapon before the final blow. Think of how the live crowd erupted, when Big Show knocked out Triple a little while ago
I would do it in reverse, actually. Have the face get a decisive victory over HHH, only to be attacked afterwards by HHH and his henchman. The locker room empties, and the face positioned against HHH beats the heck out of him after the match. To the point HHH is destroyed, and can't appear on TV for weeks because he was destroyed so badly. I don't think it would hurt HHH's legacy to get torn apart after a match. At the same time, he's not Vince. Vince wasn't a wrestler, so him getting destroyed by the likes of HBK and Bret was appropriate. They could toy with him, and it would work and was believable.

So with all that said, is a simple loss via submission or pinfall enough for Triple H's punishment? Or should Triple H take a beating, a real beating?
Both, actually. HHH is an accomplished wrestler, one who would be able to keep up and wrestle with his opponent. Unlike Vince, he isn't one able to be toyed with. That's why I feel flipping the story would be better. HHH losing a match and then getting beaten down by the face, as though the victory wasn't enough, would be most approrpriate. Give him the savage beating after the match, and have the face truly stand tall and decisively overcome him. HHH loses nothing in his mystique if a face like Daniel Bryan, screwed so many times by HHH, is unsatisfied with just a victory in a competitive match.

If I were booking, I'd have HHH lose a competitve match, then attempt to attack said face following the match. Instead, the face goes nuts when Hunter attacks, and brutalizes him after the match, to the point he needs stretchered out. If anyone deserves a loss, then a beatdown following, it's Paul Levesque. And in doing so in that fashion, his mystique isn't hurt in the slightest.

I thought about this after watching Vince VS Shane from Wrestlemania 17 the other day, and I'm still of two minds about Triple H's wrestling future.

Vince McMahon was a dastardly and vile villain, but when the time came, Vince always took his deserved beating. Just think about all the humiliating Wrestlemania thrashings from Shane (with some help from Linda and Foley), Hogan, Shawn, and Bret. Well, when you compare it to Vince's other Wrestlemania matches, the match with Bret is very tamed. Still, Vince didn't get one single shot in on Bret (from what I remember), and Bret dominated the entire match.

Triple H has to take his real punishment in the ring at some point, but I wonder if a simple loss is enough. Maybe Triple H deserves more than a pinfall or submission loss in his comeuppance match (or matches)? Throw him around, have him go through a table, or let him suffer a series shots some kind of weapon before the final blow. Think of how the live crowd erupted, when Big Show knocked out Triple a little while ago. When you consider all of his slimy deeds during the corporate heel run, you have to believe a Big Show knockout was just the tip of the ice berg.

Although, I run into a conundrum, when I consider the quality of Triple H's recent matches. The Wrestlemania 28 match with Undertaker, the steel cage match with Brock this year. Fact of the matter is, Triple H can still go in the ring, so there's a chance you could diminish his mystique as top level competitor, if he takes a savage beating in a match.

So with all that said, is a simple loss via submission or pinfall enough for Triple H's punishment? Or should Triple take a beating, a real beating?

Corporate Triple H buried CM Punk in their 2011 match, Corporate HHH traded wins with Brock Lesnar. Corporate Helmsley has wrestled a few matches, but has yet to have a match in this current storyline with Bryan/Big Show. For business to be truly done properly, and to elevate current guys to a higher level, HHH is the perfect end game for Daniel Bryan, if they are not comfortable with having him run with the WWE Title. Having Daniel Bryan cleanly defeat Triple H would be a massive elevation, regardless of how often Triple H wrestles. Triple H still has the ability to make guys in this role, being the untouchable figure type will only get ghimself pushed down our throats, if there is no payoff to the heel being dominant, it is only self serving, which is all WWE do now, which has made the product shit to watch.

If Triple H were to take a true beating, to the point that he is written off for a few months and is left literally senseless then it would establish the wrestler who did this as a savage beast. HHH has had some of the highest profile matches in the last decade, and won a lot of them. This has made HHH appear almost invincible to many and made him establish a reputation to which he refuses to put anyone but himself over. Due to this I doubt HHH would ever suffer an all out beating, although if he did it was establish whoever did it, especially if Triple H never wrestled again after that beating.

Sorry, I've been away for a while, otherwise I wouldn't bump and old thread, I know that's taboo around here BUT...

The answer "Yes" or "No" doesn't really do the question justice. Because what Triple H really needs, now that he is "The Authority" is to end virtually every large feud he's involved with completely humiliated. Just like Vince used to.

Vince put over every major star of the attitude era in his role as The Authority figure on Raw. If Triple H is going to play heel as the Authority, then he should also be embarrassed. Every time he wins in a feud, a wrestler is buried. Kinda sounds like every time so and so does this, and angel loses it wings, but it's true. He should NEVER win a feud for as long as he fills this role, or he will bury everyone.

If he wants to win then he should be face, period.

The only exception to this is if there's a jackass trying to hold up a show for money, or some other equally stupid thing. That man should get buried. But if he is going to be a responsible leader, like he's trying to be, then he needs to make huge stars, and so far, he has never once done it in ANY role.

Remember Vince was a fresh character when he did hid his thing. HHH will not have that luxury unless he disappears for a while. Where HHH has the advantage is that he can wrestle and put on a match unlike Vince. So replicating Vince should never be his aim but rather putting wrestlers over the course of a match.

I think the last in beating HHH will take was the ones against Lesnar. I don't think he needs to take a beating regardless of what he has done. His character now is about having things his way. For all the people that he is screwing as the Authority he has either already beat them in the ring or it is assumed by most that he would beat them. So being busted open or slammed thru a table isn't even necessary. A clean pin over HHH by someone like Bryan or Show would suffice.

Plus in WWE it isn't really the face way to deliver a brutal beatdown. Faces take the beatdowns, overcome the odds and deliver the comeuppance with a win. The only recent exception to that I can think of was Punk's massacre of Heyman which was a really extreme circumstance. If anyone has deserved a beatdown in recent times its been Lesnar. And all he has gotten is a little bloody and an occasional pin at a PPV.

By all rights, you can say Triple H is Vince's replacement, as the maniacal tyrant.

Sure, but the difference is that Triple H is a wrestler, which McMahon never was. Although Trips is a bit heavier now, it's plain he still trains in the gym, obviously because he knows he'll be stepping into the ring for several more years. In other words, he can back up his "maniacal tyrant" corporate stance by delivering real punishment in the ring.....as well as disciplinary tactics by virtue of his Authority status.

Vince McMahon took a "beating" from Bret Hart only because there was no one else who could step into the ring with Bret without seriously hurting him by using any actual ring maneuvers. With the longtime grudge between the two, it was logical that Vince be the one.

That's all well and good, but Paul Levesque is in an entirely different position than Vince. Put it this way: Trips was able to get in the ring with Brock Lesnar, of all people. Not only that, but he was able to handle the extremely rough style of an MMA fighter and give it back in return. Yes, results are pre-determined, but don't tell me they weren't legitimately beating the shit out of each other.

I don't know whether you'd call Triple H taking beatings "necessary".....but as long as he'd able to do what he does, I'd say it's advisable and entertaining.......plus, since we see so little of him in the ring, it's damn exciting when he does it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back