• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Travelling overseas.. on your own or with a friend?

Rusty

Is hanging up the boots
I've gotten so many arguments for both sides that my mind is spinning. On one hand, it'd be good to experience the world with a friend or two, on the other hand I want to travel and experience cultures, meet new people, get a different outlook on life (hell, and maybe appreciate home more or somethin' like that), something I can only truly do on my own.

My question is, to those who have travelled, what have you done? Have you travelled on your own and thoroughly enjoyed it, or vice versa?

**Please note this is for overseas travels only, I'm not interested in interstate trips.**

Depends on how long the flight journey will be. If it's more than a few hours, it'd be a good idea to take a friend or two along (as long as they are paying their own fare). Same applies for the tour as well- if you are not going on a business trip or to meet a friend (i.e. going without any definite purpose), taking two more people along would be a better idea. If you are going to a country for the first time and don't have anyone you know there, then definitely don't go alone.

To be fair though, South Australia is like its own country.

I dont know, I went to England by myself and while you do experience what you want. But it could be a bit weird when I went out as I was by myself.

Come to vic and I'll drive you to sparky's neighbourhood so we can go on a search for the elusive bastard and take him on a trip around the world together. Interstate and international, I'll even shout us cricket tickets.

But really, my girlfriend did a month long euro trip by herself and she loved it. I'm not entirely sure if how she went will help you, but from what she told me all you really need to do is organise nice well known places to stay and have clear ideas of what you're doing each day and it won't matter if you have someone else with you.

I've traveled to two countries by myself, England and Bulgaria. I had a great time in Bulgaria where I worked in a bar two summers ago, but England by myself was kind of "eh".

I travelled to the states for two months with nothing except a couple of vague places to stay. If you've a good head on your shoulders and like your own company, I'd say strike out alone - all your experiences and decisions are your own then.

When I was younger and unattached, I travelled alone. When I went to Rome a few years ago, it was awesome going to Vatican City and having my own schedule. You get more done.

Now, I like travelling with my better half. It sounds cliche, but she understands how I operate when I travel and vice versa.

Travel snob.

You aren't going to legitimately experience new cultures or find a new outlook on life through the medium of a holiday. Tourists generally gain exactly one new experience, and that is the experience of being a tourist, and it's not terrible eye opening.

If your friends aren't ***** then go with friends; you'll have more fun and once you're done you'll be able to talk about it with people who actually care. If they all suck and you aren't going to East Timor then go alone. The world is a safe place provided that one isn't stupid.

Tossing up between Europe (Italy, France, England, and maybe Amsterdam) and the States.

All fine places to go alone or with others. I'd say it's just a matter of personal preference. Every time I've traveled abroad for fun it was with friends or family, but I'd have no problem going alone, especially to Europe. I'm sure you'll have a great time either way.

I've gone to Puerto Rico, Canada(twice), Scottland(twice), The Azores, Bermuda, Spain, Italy, Romania(twice), Germany, Turkey, Afghanistan and Kuwait. Each time I've traveled with at least 30 military personnel lol.

I much prefer traveling with friends. It's just good having company and I'm not someone who enjoys being alone often, especially when visiting a strange and unfamiliar place. It's good to have other ideas of things to do. For instance, when I went to Italy, I'd never been before and didn't really know what to do, but people in my party have been there. I would just hop in the cab with them. It's also always safer to have a friend with you when you are somewhere you aren't. It's also cool because you would have someone to talk about the adventure with who will actually be interested.

The only way I would go alone, is if I was really trying to get away from everything, or if I just couldn't find anyone to go.

I've traveled to a different country alone with a 2-year work visa. I only stayed there for a full year though. All I can say is that the way I went about it wasn't the ideal approach. I had to learn everything myself and explore areas. The culture shock was also very stressful and my depression was at an all-time high because of language barriers and cultural differences. To this day, I still rank it as the worst year of my life. All my perceptions and expectations were also shattered because of my inadequacies. If you intend on traveling to a different country overseas, make sure you do your research or at least visit the place beforehand on one of those tour plans. Otherwise, you're just a lost penguin in a desert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back