• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top 10 #1 Overall Picks of the Past Decade

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Every year when the Big 4 sports leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) hold their annual amateur drafts, the number one overall pick is supposed to be a 'lock' as one of the top players for many years. I mean, let's face it, if you are picked first overall by a team, there is some belief that you should be one of the top players for a while. However, many times these players are nothing but a bust (see JaMarcus Russell). Actually, aside from a few, many have turned out to be pretty bad players, given the hype that they've received. But I digress. This is a thread to give you what I believe is the Best 10 #1 Overall Draft Picks from the past decade (2000-2009). Obviously there may be some questionable decisions to you all, and some snubs, but that's just to stir up the debate, I guess. My criteria for determining the 'Best' Number One Overall Draft Picks is:

Individual Accomplishments
Living Up to the Hype
Impact On Team

I could care less how much money a guy makes, so that won't be apart of this list. So, let me start off with the 10th best #1 Overall Draft Pick of the Past Decade...

michael-vick.jpg

10. Michael Vick, Quarterback, Atlanta Falcons (2001-2006) Philadelphia Eagles (2009-present)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. How could I put a convicted felon who missed 2 years due to dogfighting charges? And why should he be on when he wasn't a great passing quarterback by any means, at least compared to guys who were at his level. Well, while he wasn't a great passing quarterback, he made up for it by being the BEST running quarterback EVER. Sorry, Steve Young and Randall Cunningham, but Vick is the best running Quarterback ever. I know he's had off the field issues, but he helped ressurect an Atlanta team that not less then 5 years ago was playing in the Super Bowl. He led them into the playofffs after only his second year, beating the Green Bay Packers, 27-7, in the 1st Round. Yeah, a 2nd year Michael Vick defeated future HOF Brett Favre AT Lambeau Field, which is one of the biggest homefield advantages in the entire NFL. Quite impressive. As far as individual statistics, from 2002-2006, I think it's safe to argue that he was a top 5-7 QB, with only Manning, Brady, and McNabb being clearly ahead of him.

Vick's accomplishments:
-3 Time Pro Bowler (2002, 2004, 2005)
-ESPY For Best NFL Player (2003)
-First QB to ever rush for 1,000 yards
-Single Game record for most rushing yards by a QB (173; vs. Minnesota on 12/1/02)
-Led the Atlanta Falcons to a 27-7 defeat over the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Wild-Card Round, Ending Green Bays Undefeated Record at Lambeau in the Playoffs
-Playoff record for most rushing yards by a QB (119; vs. St. Louis on 1/15/05)

Living Up To The Hype: I would think so, for the most part, as he led the Falcons to two playoff berths in 3 years. And from 2001-2006 you could argue he was the most exciting player on the field with what he could do with his feet.

Impact On Team: This is where I could see arguments coming from people. Once he was arrested following the 2006 season the next year the Falcons completely fell off the map. However, it wasn't all bad, as they used their #3 overall pick in the following draft to select Matt Ryan, who has led them to two straight winning seasons, a first in their franchise history.

mario-williams.jpg

9. Mario Williams, Defensive End, Houston Texans (2006-present)

When Williams was selected first overall in the 2006 NFL Draft, people were wondering, 'What the hell are the Texans thinking and why aren't they drafting Vince Young or Reggie Bush with the 1st Overall Pick???' During Williams' rookie season, it appeared as if those people were right, and the Texans messed up big time, as Bush was a key piece to the Saints reaching the NFC Championship Game and Vince Young was named the Offensive Rookie of the Year, while Williams struggled with only 4.5 sacks. However, the Texans have appeared to have the last laugh, as in each of the past three seasons, Williams has amassed at least 9 sacks, including 35 total. While the Texans haven't reached the playoffs yet in his 4 seasons, they've improved each and every season, and last year were only a win away from reaching the playoffs.

Williams's Accomplishments:
-2 Time Pro Bowler (2008, 2009)
-1 Time Pro Bowl Alternate (2007)
-2 Time 1st Team All-Pro (2007, 2008)
-39.5 Career Sacks (Avg. Almost 10 sacks a Season)

Living Up To The Hype: Since his 2nd season, he's been a home run for the Texans. Multiple All-Pro and Pro Bowl nominations can add to that. He's one of the centerpieces to an improving Texans team. Really happy that he panned out well.

Impact On Team: He's helped anchor the defense and is one of the most talented Defensive Ends in the NFL Today. He's a face of the team, and there's no way that can be a bad thing.

San%20Diego%20Padres%20-%20Adrian%20Gonzalez%20Swing.jpg

8. Adrian Gonzalez, 1st Basemen, Texas Rangers (2004-2005), San Diego Padres (2006-present)

For Major League Baseball players, it's not exactly easy to get called up to the big leagues right away before some minor league experience, with only a handful of players jumping up right away. Even the greatest players had to spend some time in the Minors. And even when someone is called up to the show, sometimes it's hard to find playing time. Adrian Gonzalez knows what this feels like, being drafted by the Florida Marlins in 2000, before being traded to the Texas Rangers in 2004 without making an appearance in the big leagues. Gonzalez played sporadically in his two years with Texas before being traded to his current destination in San Diego. And even when he did come over, he wasn't a lock to start first base right away in 2006, but when Ryan Klesko went down, Gonzalez was given the job and has held it ever since. In his 4 full seasons his HR total has increased every year, despite playing in one of the biggest 'Pitcher Friendly' parks in Petco Park. Gonzalez is the man that carries the San Diego offense, and one of the reasons why they are having so much success this season. I'm sure Florida and Texas both regret trading him away now.

Gonzalez's Accomplishments:
-3 Time All Star (2008, 2009, 2010)
-2 Time Gold Glover (2008, 2009)
-106 Total HR's in his past 3 Seasons (Avg. 35.3 HR's a season)

Living Up To The Hype: While he didn't really get the opportunity in his first 5 seasons after getting drafted, once he did, Gonzalez proved why he was picked first overall back in 2000. He's a true home run threat every time he steps up to the plate, and his numbers more then likely would be even greater if he played in a smaller ballpark.

Impact On Team: Like I said earlier, he's the biggest threat that San Diego puts out every day. He can hit it out of the park and can bring his teammates home. He's seemed to have improved each year since 2006, which isn't a good sign for anyone in the NL.

dwight-howard.jpg

7. Dwight Howard, Center, Orlando Magic (2004-present)

Dwight came into the league straight out of high school with a whole lotta hype. He received 4 High School Player of the Year awards, so when he declared himself for the NBA Draft, many people were anxious to see how he would pan out. They wanted to know if he was going to be a bust like Kwame Brown or be a star like Kevin Garnett, who also both came out straight from high school. Howard quickly established that he would become the latter, starting all 82 games his rookie season and was named to the All-Rookie Team. His breakout season was his 2007-2008 season where he achieved some fame for winning the Slam Dunk Contest and then being named to his first 1st Team All-Pro. He, along with the many shooters of the Magic, also helped take the team to it's first final appearance in over a decade in 2009, where they lost to the Los Angeles Lakers. Howard is now regarded as the top center in the league, possibly top 5 overall.

Howard's Accomplishments:
-1 Time Eastern Conference Champions (2009)
-2 Time Defensive Player of the Year (2009, 2010)
-4 Time All Star (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
-4 Time All-Pro (1st Team 3 Times (2008, 2009, 2010)) (3rd Team in 2007)
-3 Time All Defensive Team (1st Team 2 Times (2009, 2010)) (2nd Team in 2008)
-All Rookie Team (2005)
-Slam Dunk Champion (2008)
-11 Time Conference Player of the Week
-4 Time Conference Player of the Month
-Numerous 'Youngest To' records

Living Up To The Hype: Coming into the league at such an early age seemed tough for Dwight, who was almost too thin compared to the bigger NBA Centers. However he gained about 15 pounds after his first season and vastly improved his inside game thanks to help from once-great center Patrick Ewing. Along with Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Kobe Bryant, Dwight is one of the premier faces of the league. He also helped lead the Magic to the Finals, something that many people thought wouldn't happen since they went up against Lebron and the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Impact On Team: Howard is the best center in the league and is the face and leader of the Magic. That's all that needs to be said.

Patrick_Kane_2009.jpg

6. Patrick Kane, Right Wing, Chicago Blackhawks (2007-present)

The first Hockey player to make the list, but he certainly won't be the last. Kane came into the league in the 2007-2008 season and many fans hoped that he would be one of the pieces that would help return the Chicago Blackhawks back into prominence. Kane's first season started off with a bang, scoring the most points among any rookie while winning the Calder Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year). The following year Kane helped lead Chicago into the playoffs for the first time in 5 seasons in 2008-2009, helping the Blackhawks get to the Western Conference Finals before being knocked out by the Detroit Red Wings. The Blackhawks returned the following year and won their first Stanley Cup in 49 years, thanks to Kane scoring the game winning goal. He was featured on the cover of NHL '10 and is now one of the faces of the league.

Kane's Accomplishments:
-Stanley Cup Champion (2010)
-Calder Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year) Winner (2008)
-All-Rookie Team (2008)
-NHL All-Star (2009)
-Member of US Olympic Team (2010)

Living Up To The Hype: Considering that the Blackhawks went from being voted 'Worst Franchise In All Of Sports' in 2004 to Stanley Cup Champions in 2010, thanks to Kane's help, I think that answers your question. Kane and teammate Jonathan Toews have brought back the Blackhawk name to prominence.

Impact On Team: Like I've said repeatedly, he's one of the leaders on this Blackhawks team, and if he wasn't on the team, there's no game winning goal in Game 6, and there certainly isn't the Blackhawks name on Lord Stanley's Cup for the 2009-10 season.

2008_nyg_eli_manning.jpg

5. Eli Manning, Quarterback, New York Giants (2004-present)

The Highest NFL player on my list, and, what I think to be one of the most underrated QB's in the league. I know his stats aren't sexy like his brother, and that he doesn't have the publicity of him, either, but Eli put up what I think is one of the gutsiest performances ever in Super Bowl XLII. He took an underdog Giants team and somehow managed to defeat the Undefeated New England Patriots, who were led by 3 Time Super Bowl Winning Quarterback Tom Brady. I know the defense of the Giants containing the prolific offense of the Patriots is the main reason why they won the Super Bowl, but I think Eli did something important in that game. Maybe. I don't know...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G-aKfTK2LiM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G-aKfTK2LiM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Oh yeah thats right. Anyways Manning has proved, that while not putting up gaudy offensive numbers during the regular season, he finds a way to win. You might even be able to argue that he's better then Peyton in the Playoffs, but I think he needs more appearances before we can say that. Either way, he's a great QB and that pick looks like it has paid off for NY.

Manning's Accomplishments:
-Super Bowl Champion (XLII)
-Super Bowl XLII MVP
-1 Time Pro Bowler (2009)
-1 Time NFC Player of the Month (November 2008)
-75 Consecutive Starts

Lived Up To The Hype: While he obviously had hype leading up to the draft, I think the bigger question for Eli was if he could stop being thought as 'Peyton's younger brother' and be known as a great NFL Quarterback, which he has done very well of. And anytime you lead your team to a world Championship, I think you've lived up to the hype.

Impact On Team: Without Manning's improbable final drive in Super Bowl XLII, we're seeing the 1st ever 19-0 team in NFL history. If he falls down during the Tyree catch then the Tom Brady's shining up his 4th Super Bowl. While it's kinda been on the downswing since, he did lead them to the NFC's best record the following year.

joe-mauer.jpg

4. Joe Mauer, Catcher, Minnesota Twins (2004-present)

Joe is one of the rare breeds that excelled at not one, but two sports. Yes, not only being a heavily touted baseball player, but also a highly recruited football player. In fact, Joe was going to sign a scholarship to play for Bobby Bowden at Florida State had he not chose baseball instead. For his sake, I think he made the right choice. Injuries cut his first season in 2004 short, and after a solid 2005, he had a breakout 2006 season, becoming the first catcher in Major League HISTORY to lead the leauge in batting average. It was then that Mauer had stepped up to the plate and performed to his potential. Joe is now a staple hitter in the Twins lineup and is one half of the killer combo with his fellw teammate Justin Morneau. Mauer is undoubtedly the top catcher in the MLB and in the top 10 for pure hitters in the entire league, in my opinion.

Mauer's Accomplishments:
-American League MVP (2009)
-4 Time All Star (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010)
-2 Time Gold Glover (2008, 2009)
-3 Time Silver Slugger (2006, 2008, 2009)
-3 Time AL Batting Champion (2006, 2008, 2009)

Lived Up To The Hype: Well, he is one of only 3 men on this list to have won an MVP award, and he's also proved that the Catcher position doesn't mean that you have to be a .230 hitter and just have to be able to block the plate. Joe is a complete ballplayer and I'm quite sure that the Twins are glad they took him over Mark Prior in 2001, despite most people believing Prior would be the better player.

Impact On Team: Again, if you win the league MVP, I think you're gonna have a positive impact on your team. Mauer is one of the keys to the Twins success. If he were to go down by injury, the team wouldn't be near as threatening as they are with him.

Alex_Ovechkin2.png

3. Alexander Ovechkin, Left Wing, Washington Capitals (2005-present)

Yes, Ovie only checks in at number three. Tough for me to put him here, especially since I like him more then the two men that I put at #2 and #1. Ovechkin has already established himself as one of the two biggest faces in the entire game, along with his rival Sidney Crosby. Ovechkin, like Patrick Kane and Sidney Crosby, has helped make a Capital team that was once terrible into a title contender every year. Some of the stuff that Ovechkin has done on the ice just makes me shake your head in amazement. Some of the goals that he's scored somehow, it's just incredible. The one reason why I've had Ovechkin only at #3 is because the postseason isn't his best friend. In his first appearance the Capitals were bounced in the first round, and then the following season he lost to his rival Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Conference Semifinals, who also went on to win the Stanley Cup that season. This most recent season the Capitals appeared to be the favorites to make the Cup Finals, but were upset in the first round by the Montreal Canadiens in Game 7. If Ovechkin is able to ever achieve a Cup victory or two, he may just jump #1 and #2 on my list. Until then, though, I can't put him any higher then 3.

Ovechkin's Accomplishments:
-2 Time Hart Memorial Trophy (League MVP) (2008, 2009)
-Calder Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year) (2005)
-All Rookie Team (2005)
-3 Time All Star (2007, 2008, 2009)
-5 Time All NHL 1st Team Selection (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
-Art Ross Trophy (Most Points in a Season) (2008)
-2 Time 'Rocket' Richard Trophy (Most Goals) (2008, 2009)
-2 Time Sporting News Player of the Year (2008, 2009)

Lived Up To The Hype: Ovechkin, along with Crosby, has helped bring the NHL back to some level of prominence. Even though the NHL is considered to be the #4 sport in the USA, I feel that it's not too far behind the NBA and MLB, and that has to be attributed to Ovechkin partially. He's helped bring the sport back on the map, and has helped make the Capitals into a contender every season.

Impact On Team: Let's see... he's brought a team that's only had a small amount of success in the NHL and has made them into a power. He's the captain of the team and is their leader. They will only go as far as he can take them.

I guess the same can be said for #2...

lebron-james-new-york-yankees-91.jpg

2. LeBron James, Small Forward, Cleveland Cavaliers (2003-2009) Currently A Free Agent

I know, I know, I know. How the hell do I have 'THE GREATEST SUPERSTAR EVARR!!!' only at number two? Well, it's simple: he, like Ovechkin, hasn't brought it in the playoffs. With all of the talk of how great he really is, only once has he made it to the finals, and they got swept then. I know it's not entirely his fault that Cleveland has provided him a pretty pathetic supporting cast and that he's had to carry the team himself, but I just can't reward a guy the top spot when he hasn't won anything yet. There's no way that people should be referring to him as the next Jordan. At least not now. Maybe when he gets enough rings to fill a hand, then we can talk. Until then, he's just a great player in the regular season. Hell, he's not even the first in his draft class to win a World Title. Yeah, Wade beat him 4 years ago. However, with all of my bashing, I have to admit that he is no worse then the 2nd best player in the entire league, probably #1. LeBron is one of the biggest stars in the entire sporting world, and has been really since he came to the NBA. You don't see cities like Chicago and Miami campaign for players like Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade, do you? This guy is huge, but I can't give him complete respect until he wins at least a ring.

James's Accomplishments:
-2 Time MVP (2008, 2009)
-Rookie of the Year (2004)
-6 Time NBA All Star (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
-2 Time All Star Game MVP (2006, 2008)
-Scoring Champion (2008)
-6 Time All NBA (First Team 4 Times (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010)) (Second Team 2 Times (2005, 2007)
-2 Time All Defensive First Team (2009, 2010)

Lived Up To The Hype: Obviously, as we are ALL Witnesses (/sarcasm). Seriously, though, he has lived up to the billing when he came out of HS in 2003. A two time MVP, has at least 2 more in him, probably more then that, barring injury. Because, when you look at it, the guy is only 25 YEARS OLD! Yeah, 25. And he's already been in the league for like 7 years. That's ridiculous, but that's how good this guy is. He's definately gonna be dominating this league for at least another 10 years, unless, like I said, he gets injured, which I doubt.

Impact On Team: He's made the Cavaliers a team that people actually want to watch. I'd like to get out statistics for the attendance increase from the last year that he wasn't in the league to his rookie season. I'd imagine that it's ridiculous. Not to mention he's also a merchandise machine and has brought in a ton of money for the franchise, and has pretty much single handedly taken them to their lone Finals appearance in Franchise history, despite getting swept. Even though it appears that he might not return, the Cavalier fans shouldn't be bitter, they should be greatful for the time that he was with them.

Now, for my number one, it's none other than...

sidney_crosby_pictures2.jpg

1. Sidney Crosby, Center, Pittsburgh Penguins (2005-present)

Ah, yes. 'The Next One' as they like to call him. Sid the Kid is my number one choice, which I don't feel is too out there, since he is to Gretzky what James is to Jordan. And he has a championship, which always helps. Yes, Crosby has been hailed as the 'Savior' of the NHL, which had been experiencing some bad times after the lockout and needed a face of the company. Not only was he the Savior of the NHL, but he was the leader of the Penguins. At the crisp age of 19 years old, Crosby was named captain of the team, despite not being able to legally drink for another 15 months. In his first playoff series, in 2006, the Penguins got eliminated after just five games. The following year, however, he helped lead them to the Cup Finals, only to run into the Champion Red Wings and lose in 6 games. The year after that, 2008-09, though, he got his revenge on the Red Wings and finally achieved his first Stanley Cup, finally 'making it.'

Crosby's Accomplishments:
-Stanley Cup Champion (2009)
-Hart Memorial Trophy (League MVP) (2007)
-3 Time All Star (2007, 2008, 2009)
-'Rocket' Richard Winner (Goals Leader) (2010)
-Art Ross Winner (Points Leader) (2007)
-Sporting News Player of the Year (2007)
-All Rookie Team (2006)

Lived Up To The Hype: When you are labeled as the next Wayne Gretzky, you have a lot of shoes to fill. Despite only being in the league for 5 or so years, I think he's done about as well as you can during those five years. He already has everything. He has an MVP, a Stanley Cup, he's the captian. Now it's just time for him to keep adding on to those and trying to make NHL a more popular game.

Impact On Team: Well, the Penguins have another Cup to their name, along with 2 more appearances. He was named the youngest captain in NHL HISTORY. And you know all of those accomplishments up there, well he's done that while only being 22 years old! Yeah 22! So I think it's safe to say that he will be on eof the main pieces in helping the Penguins win the cup for multiple more times in the next 20 years.

Any disagreements here? Someone not belong? Someone that I'm missing? Go ahead, make your own list. I'm always ready for a debate, so go at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back