• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Today's Faces in WWE are extremely overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammysrh

TheViperKiller
Now I honestly am seeing it how i call it. I am not trying to be "cool" or anything but as of lately 75% of faces are so cheesy as of late making that side look and feel just stupid looking. Example? easy.. I would say John Cena but thats the obvious answer so i will go out on a limb to get a good one.

MVP.. Look at the guy, he was amazing as a heel put over great match created heat like a fucking stove. What does WWE do with him? Throw his ass on Raw as a face and ever since, his career as been in the toilet. His lines are very cheesy. Why cant he be a good face too? Another example? Fine. Done

(Batista WAS one until he changed. Because all he did was do the same routine but a new fresh change happened and now hes heel. Not saying he couldnt have been a good face but now that hes heel he has a cooler attitude and hes all around better)

But another would be DX? Look at them. They are so boring. All they do is advertise (even when it isnt xmas) and they joke around but dont cross the PG line so the joke is 5 times more idiotic. Lastly they fuck around with that midget guy hornswoggle just for the kids? Doesnt that get annoying? I believe that HHH should turn heel and start a useful fued with HBK. HBK isnt a bad face its just when they are together as DX its just horrible.. One more example? Ok gotchya

Mark Henry. That was a horrible idea turning him face. But that is a totally different topic. Mark was a decently fair ECW heel at most. But point being you really cant turn a huge monster into a face fully and team with MVP doing his ballin thing (both of them) to the crowd. Ever since face turn hes been awful, as if he wasnt before? But he got even worse

Well What if they decide(totally different topic sorry) Edge turns face and he just turns into another MVP or something and he ends up being cheesy. I mean I dont have anything at all against faces, Its just mainly these and a couple more. I like Kofi Kingston, JoMo, undertaker, christian, and even shelton Benjamin. I have nothing against them, its just when they suck ass to the crowd and stuff gets awful to watch!

What i want to know is do you agree or what? Shed some light on this, bash it, or whatever just let me know what you think about it do you agree? Tell me mainly some faces you are getting sick of.

What I hate about faces now is that they have to be 100% goody two shoes. Morrison is a perfect example. All he does is suck up to the crowd and even kisses his opponents asses like that promo he cut about Rey after he won the IC Title. That was so fucking corny.

Cena is another example. I'm actually a fan of the guy but his promos are just the same shit. He doesn't even have a sense of humor anymore. He just talks about going to war and every time after he loses the title he says "you will see a different side of me" even tho nothing changes. The difference in Rock and Cena is Rock could be serious but he could also make you laugh at any moment. Cena is just too fucking serious of a character.

My favorite face right now is probably Christian. He's a good example of having a great sense of humor but also having the ability to be serious when needed. That makes for a geat and overall entertaining likeable character. Kofi's really good right now too when they give him mic time.

What I hate about faces now is that they have to be 100% goody two shoes. Morrison is a perfect example. All he does is suck up to the crowd and even kisses his opponents asses like that promo he cut about Rey after he won the IC Title. That was so fucking corny.

Cena is another example. I'm actually a fan of the guy but his promos are just the same shit. He doesn't even have a sense of humor anymore. He just talks about going to war and every time after he loses the title he says "you will see a different side of me" even tho nothing changes. The difference in Rock and Cena is Rock could be serious but he could also make you laugh at any moment. Cena is just too fucking serious of a character.

My favorite face right now is probably Christian. He's a good example of having a great sense of humor but also having the ability to be serious when needed. That makes for a geat and overall entertaining likeable character. Kofi's really good right now too when they give him mic time.

Yeah i was debating putting JoMo in the list but hes no where near as bad as the faces i put at the top.. But if he starts kissing ass ALOT then i will probably start to hate him. I just like to watch him wrestle, hes good in the ring and shit.

LOL @ the cena thing ahahahahaha that made me laugh lol so true!! ahahahaha god every fucking week he does that shit over and over and then kisses ass to the crowd saying they are all he has.

Yeah christian is fucking bomb! i agree 100% one of my favorite. But my all time favorite wrestler is Randy Orton god i would be so pissed if they made him into a Cena type face.

What is this shit?

If anything, faces in the WWE are underrated because the IWC loves them some heels. "Oh, they're so edgy. Oh, they get to say more in their promos. Oh, they're not just cookie cutter personalities like the good guys!" Lets call like it is. Heels are just as stale as faces are, with their lines are just as canned and predictable. "Oh, here comes CM Punk. And he's telling us that we're weak and that he reitred Jeff Hardy", "Oh, here comes Chris Jericho. He doesn't look amused and he thinks w're hypocrites", "Oh, Vickie Guerrero is asking us to excuse her and Edge is talking about opprotunities and R-ratings", etc. Yet they get almost universal praise on the net for subscribing to those typical heel tactics while faces get universally shit on in the IWC for playing their role just as well as heels do. It makes no sense.

Batista as a face attacked who he wanted and suffered no consequences for often uncalled for outbursts. DX does the same while abusing officials and taking legal action against fans they don't want. Taker is evil incarnate and attacks whoever he wants more often than heels do. Exactly what is "good" about these guys? They're certainly not the "goody two shoes" that RavensFlock1990 accuses them to be, and even if a face is like that... is it such a crime? What's wrong with cheering for legitimately good guys instead of heelish *****?

JoMo as a face blows and is lamer than most of the faces you listed. His mic work his awful and the way he panders to the crowd and plays the goody two shoes part should certainly rank him wherever you put most other faces.

Mark Henry as a face rocks and is a good idea. Sticking him in a tag team and letting him work he typical "heel gets beat down, makes comeback" routine is the mistake there. He should have feuding with Orton for the belt in the summer. He's far from shit though.

Anyway, I'm ranting about random faces now. My original point of faces being underrated when compared to heels stands.

What is this shit?

If anything, faces in the WWE are underrated because the IWC loves them some heels. "Oh, they're so edgy. Oh, they get to say more in their promos. Oh, they're not just cookie cutter personalities like the good guys!" Lets call like it is. Heels are just as stale as faces are, with their lines are just as canned and predictable. "Oh, here comes CM Punk. And he's telling us that we're weak and that he reitred Jeff Hardy", "Oh, here comes Chris Jericho. He doesn't look amused and he thinks w're hypocrites", "Oh, Vickie Guerrero is asking us to excuse her and Edge is talking about opprotunities and R-ratings", etc. Yet they get almost universal praise on the net for subscribing to those typical heel tactics while faces get universally shit on in the IWC for playing their role just as well as heels do. It makes no sense.

Batista as a face attacked who he wanted and suffered no consequences for often uncalled for outbursts. DX does the same while abusing officials and taking legal action against fans they don't want. Taker is evil incarnate and attacks whoever he wants more often than heels do. Exactly what is "good" about these guys? They're certainly not the "goody two shoes" that RavensFlock1990 accuses them to be, and even if a face is like that... is it such a crime? What's wrong with cheering for legitimately good guys instead of heelish *****?

JoMo as a face blows and is lamer than most of the faces you listed. His mic work his awful and the way he panders to the crowd and plays the goody two shoes part should certainly rank him wherever you put most other faces.

Mark Henry as a face rocks and is a good idea. Sticking him in a tag team and letting him work he typical "heel gets beat down, makes comeback" routine is the mistake there. He should have feuding with Orton for the belt in the summer. He's far from shit though.

Anyway, I'm ranting about random faces now. My original point of faces being underrated when compared to heels stands.

Yeah youre crazy lol.. JoMo as a face on the mic is a bit cheesy but im only looking at his in ring ability for him. But to go as far as to say faces are underrated? Underrated means they are very good but no one really sees it. And this thread is about them being OVERRATED.. They are garbage and they are just the only group of faces to an extent. So and to say Mark henry is a face is good? I dont agree because, well maybe in a tag team thats fine but as a face he is garbage he is a kiss ass pandoring to the crowd to an extent making me not want to watch this. No he shouldnt have fueded for the belt because orton vs henry on paper sounds like shit. And about that Batista paragraph? Im not cheering for them because they are heel not once did i EVER say that..

Actually throughout the entire post i kept saying it has nothing to do with them being heel or face just the way they are at it. But batista did not just ATTACK anyone at anytime bullshit.. He was awful on the mic and had the same shit going for him buddy buddy with hhh and cena and he wins titles. It was boring. Now he has a wider variety of opponents to face since he is a heel fulltime he can go against alot of faces and get heat.

DX antics are of that a little kid would like to watch. You saying what DX does is bullshit.. You must not watch RAW... The old DX maybe did that in 06 and before. But now all they do is this:
Raw starts the show and DX is out.. Spend 10 minutes talking on the show about how they beat Jerishow and they are popping up DVDs of wwe-type things so you will buy it throughout when they talk. As if i need a fucking commercial on the show.

Then on top of that their backstage promos with hornswoggle CONSTANTLY and little horny getting in matches and this whole lawsuit thing is just dumb. Honestly are you going to fucking defend something that is of that a little kid would watch? If so you must not have been there for the old wwf days..

Coco made a great point. The IWC are in love with heels so it makes the face's job that much harder. When a heel gets boring, we still praise them. However, when a face gets boring we tend to criticize them. Jericho has been boring for a while but he get massive amounts of love but we criticize Cena if the same thing happens. There is nothing wrong with cheering the good guys but the way the IWC loves heels, it makes the fans think they are cool to boo the good guys. Heels are supposed to make the crowd hate them and they haven't been doing a great job of that lately. Heels not doing their job makes the face have to do extra and when they fail, we put the blame on them rather than the heel.

You wanna know who is overrated........Jericho and Orton two of the biggest ego maniacs in WWE.

I enjoy John Cena and DX and as far as John Morrison giving some kudos to Rey Mysterio I thought was great. All of the people in WWE whether you like them or not they put their bodies in peril every week because they love what they do and they do it to entertain us. Bottom line is show some respect and just enjoy the show. Quit nit picking every little thing.

Yeah youre crazy lol.. JoMo as a face on the mic is a bit cheesy but im only looking at his in ring ability for him.
And his arm raising and pandering in the ring isn't cheesy at all? Give me a break.

But to go as far as to say faces are underrated? Underrated means they are very good but no one really sees it. And this thread is about them being OVERRATED..
Yep. And you're wrong and all the people who share your view lead to them being UNDERRATED. Funny how that works out, hey?

So and to say Mark henry is a face is good? I dont agree because, well maybe in a tag team thats fine but as a face he is garbage he is a kiss ass pandoring to the crowd to an extent making me not want to watch this.
Heels pander too. Why aren't you complaining about them?

No he shouldnt have fueded for the belt because orton vs henry on paper sounds like shit.
That's why the people went nuts during Henry's Raw debut, right?

Henry vs. Orton would have been major for SummerSlam if WWE booking had any inspiration and Orton playing the chickenshoot while Henry acts like the badass we all know him to be would have been sweet.

Actually throughout the entire post i kept saying it has nothing to do with them being heel or face just the way they are at it. But batista did not just ATTACK anyone at anytime bullshit.. He was awful on the mic and had the same shit going for him buddy buddy with hhh and cena and he wins titles. It was boring. Now he has a wider variety of opponents to face since he is a heel fulltime he can go against alot of faces and get heat.
Batista attacked Punk, Edge, Undertaker, etc. out of nowhere when he was a face. Hardly the model good guy. Your memory blows.

Batista was fighting faces when he was face. Punk, Cena, Michaels, Taker, etc. He already had a wide variety of opponents to face.

Heels also all buddy buddy with other heels, even if they feuded in the past. Punk & Regal/Vickie recently are good examples. As a face, Punk feuded with them. Now they hug when on screen together. I see nothing worse about faces here.

DX antics are of that a little kid would like to watch. You saying what DX does is bullshit.. You must not watch RAW... The old DX maybe did that in 06 and before. But now all they do is this:
Raw starts the show and DX is out.. Spend 10 minutes talking on the show about how they beat Jerishow and they are popping up DVDs of wwe-type things so you will buy it throughout when they talk. As if i need a fucking commercial on the show.
Did you watch Raw last night? They had a segment with Jericho and Show where they screwed them out of their title show BEFORE any such Hornswoggling went on. Get over it, that's not ALL they do.

They could be better, I agree. But their existence and current act does not mean ALL, or even most, faces are bad.

Honestly are you going to fucking defend something that is of that a little kid would watch? If so you must not have been there for the old wwf days..
I've been watching wrestling for almost 16 years. Don't make this about me.

I don't know that they're overrated, they just suck to begin with. The heel persona is just so much easier to say, hey that guys cool, while guys like Cena are tools. I mean, Orton can come out and trash Cena for 5 minutes then Cena will come out and first thing he'll say is....Randy Orton, I RESPECT YOU, like what? Why aren't you trading back with him. Anyone who thinks faces are doing what they need to do in todays day and age are living in the past. The things that truly make a wrestling crowd go wild are two guys that hate each other and go at each other in every respect.

No matter what you thought of Rock and Austin or who was face/heel when they we're trading insults back and forth the crowd was going nuts, they wanted to see each other fight because there was no respect there just hate. In the UFC the most hyped fights are the ones between guys that legitametly hate each other. When Cena is in the ring with Orton he has to remind people that he is feuding with him.

Thats why I thought it was so ridiculous that he had to remind people that Orton and Cena is like Rock and Austin, except its not. Except in the respect that they're the two top guys in the company, other than that the amount of heat between them is not there, and its because, most likely, we're in PGWWE post-brandsplit.

He's such a goody two shoes that he cut an overtly racist promo and insulted a figure who is central to the pride of an entire culture. You are so right.

So, Cena sucks because he's not as good as the Rock? That's laughable. How many guys are as good on the mic as the Rock? None. That is such a fucking ridiculous standard. Cena is funny all the time. Cena cuts great promos and he cheats as much as anyone else.

I love Christian.

Now, today's faces aren't bad. The problem is that we just came from era in which the faces and heels were separated by a very thin line. WWE is attempting to put some distance between the two characters. There is nothing wrong with that.

If I showed a fan of today a video of Stone Cold, odds are that when asked, it would be tough for him to tell which side he was on. If I showed a fan a video of HHH from today, he wouldn't believe it was the same guy.

The difference between PG and PG 13 is how badass the faces are. The heels can be the same guy, but if the face isn't there to counteract him, the story is too dark for PG. The faces have to be scaled back for a time.

Well What if they decide(totally different topic sorry) Edge turns face and he just turns into another MVP or something and he ends up being cheesy.

This will not happen. Edge has far more charisma than MVP, and is way better on the mic than him. Besides, Edge turning face would be refreshing, he's been heel for so long now, it would be nice to see him do something different.

The Hornswoggle stuff does piss me off at times, but I'm hoping the court segment next week will finally put an end to this "feud". They're the tag team champs now, and need to presented to us more seriously now. The fans obviously don't think DX is horrible. HHH and Shawn come out, throw some glow sticks around, do a crotch chop every now and then, throw up the X sign, and the crowd eats it up. They're both in their 40's, but the people still want to see DX.

Mark Henry still gets good pops. If he were to go back to being The Razorback heel, and start beating up everyone it would get boring. And like Coco said, when Henry debuted on Raw, the crowd went nuts. He's doing just fine as a face.

Look at ECW, Christian is a VERY underrated face if you ask me. His mic skills are awesome, and he's quietly having one of the best title reigns of the year.

What you have to remember is that we are in the PG era. We are not going to see the stuff we saw years back. John Cena was great when he was doing his thug rapper gimmick. His free styles were horrible lyric wise, but they were still funny as hell. Cena's character was edgey before, but he's PG now. You're not going to see something like him smacking Stephanie McMahon's ass ever again. The last shocking moment from Cena was probably when he went apeshit on Orton at Unforgiven a couple of years back.

The faces in WWE might not be as great as, The Rock or Stone Cold, but that's because they're from a another era. Thanks to the PG era, these guys have restraints on what they can and can not do.

I don't think that the faces of today are overrated at all. I think they're pretty good for the most part, but I feel that they do have a tougher job today than they used to.

During the Attitude Era, and really for much of this decade, there was very little difference between being a face and being a heel. The truth is, the line between the two was so blurred that where a character lied could rest entirely upon a person's point of view. When you watch the WWE today, I get the sense that they're trying to put more of a seperation between the two, trying to make that line that seperates them more clearly definied than it has been in recent years.

Yeah todays heels are definately overrated, they are all just pandering to the kids.

MVP- Why did they turn him face? I liked him as a heel. He's getting a lot less ring time, and really doesn't look that impressive when he gets it (imo).

Mark Henry- This rapping?!?! Are you kidding me??? He's horrible! He should have stayed heel and been a dominant big man. They need those bc SD has them all right now.

DX- All they can do is advertise, and now all they are doing is feuding with a midget!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Just horrible!

The faces need to do something quick!

Faces today mostly suck, but its not their fault. The writers write them to be so suckish with their cheesy lines and super hero crap. I think their should be certain types of faces.

Superman Face- A face who is always upbeat and rarely gets pissed off, but when he do the opponenet is in trouble. Also a mentor and everything, helps people out in need, and well stuff Superman would do.

Batman Face- Face who does not kiss ass, but will do good, but will not mind kicking your ass if needed.

Flash Face- Face who is funny most of them time but can get serious if need too, but mostly the funny guy.

If faces were divided like that and write their own stuff faces would be cool again.

What people seem to forget when making criticisms like this is that it is far harder to be a face than a heel. Anyone can say something to make someone hate you. All they have to do is slag someone, somewhere or something off, but in order to make people like you, there's much more work required. You have to essentially kiss arse for weeks on end to get over, and that requires mic time.

It's very hard to be a decent face, but when you are one, you are much more of a necessity. That is why Cena is so integral to the company. Yes, lots of the faces are shit, but in most cases, the alternative would be even worse. For all the talk of how good The Rock was, people seem to forget that fellow big named faces of the era included X-Pac and Ken Shamrock, hardly the greatest mic workers of all time. Take the top quality out of the equation and you see a perennial problem, and something that you can't really fix, unless you invent a way to give people charisma.

What i want to know is do you agree or what? Shed some light on this, bash it, or whatever just let me know what you think about it do you agree? Tell me mainly some faces you are getting sick of.

I disagree and don't think the faces are overrated. They say things that they think the fans will like because it's their job to try to get everyone to cheer for them. I can understand if you don't like that.... but that doesn't mean they are overrated. It just means that maybe you prefer heels. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to root for whoever they want. However, the faces are not overrated when all they are doing is their job and that is to make you cheer for them.

As for wanting faces that aren't "all around good guys" then you don't want faces. Someone who gets cheered like a face but doesn't act like a good guy isn't a face. That's a tweener. So, if you just don't like faces.... that's cool.... you got every right in the world to not like them if you think they are too cheesy. That doesn't make them overrated though. If anything, they are doing a better job because they got a reaction out of you.

I'm not sick of any of the faces myself.... although when Jeff Hardy was still there I got extremely sick of him towards the end, but that was more due to his remarks to Punk against the straightedge lifestyle (I'm straightedge in real life.) and I wasn't really that sick of him at all until then.

They can't be overrated because most people think they suck. John Cena - the top face - gets booed out of most buildings. Triple H is asked by fans to stay away from the title.

The only two big time faces who truly get any respect are the UT and HBK. JoMo and Kofi get some respect simply because they're new and exciting.

I think many people would agree that the problem with today's faces is that they don't measure up to what we were exposed to during the Attitude era.

My single favorite part of the Attitude era was pro wrestling's willingness to accept the growing skepticism of its audience. While a face in the 80s stood for all that was good and a heel stood for everything that was wrong, WWE/WCW understood that its fan base in the 90s no longer saw the world in that same black and white image.

Fans can't stand some of the faces today because they're molded in a black and white image with no layers. The reason I don't particularly care for John Cena is because he's incorruptable and comes off as too good to be true. What makes me enjoy a guy like CM Punk is that he portrays himself as incorruptable, but shows the chinks in his armor when he wrestles. If Cena cheated to win and then just admitted that he had to do whatever it took to win, then I think people would cheer him more - of course, most of you would call that a tweener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back