TNA Winnipeg, Round 2, Match 2: #14 Bob Backlund vs. #19 Lance Storm

Backlund vs. Storm

• Bob

• Lance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in theTNA Region, inside of the six sided ring, from Winnipeg, MB.

#14. Bob Backlund.
backlund.jpg

vs.

#19. Lance Storm
33.jpg

Depending on your taste, this is either a dream match or a nightmare match. Both guys can wrestle with the best of them, but I think Backlund might be a bit too nuts to make this work. Lance can fly better than Backlund and mixing in his Canadianism, how can he lose this? He could actually, but I don't think he will.

Friggin' wow. This match would be used for the 'How to have a Great Techinical Wrestling Match' DVD, if there ever was such a thing.

But if I can be serious for a moment and stop with this 'Offbeat Shenanigans', I'll take Storm for the win over Backlund. This will be a classic match, which most will find boring, but still...it will be a good matchup with Storm picking up the win.

What did Lance Storm ever do? When talking about the most over rated superstars by the IWC of all time, Lance Storm ranks near the top. He had absolutely no charisma and was one of the most boring wrestlers that I have ever seen in my life, and I've seen some pretty boring ones. While entertainment value isn't what I base these matches on, I felt the need to get that out there.

Bob Backlund was a great. I find it funny that all the obscure "legends" from Japan get endless praise and respect, but former great champions like Backlund get little to none at all. Bob Backlund wrestles the best and he beat the best. Backlund help world championships. What did Lance Storm do? Seriously, what?

Lance Storm was a good technical wrestler. Apparently, that's all it takes to win these matches. If someone was a good technician, he goes over. While I feel that is shit, as The Big Show would break Bret Hart in half, that's the way it is on this forum. Unfortunately for Storm marks, Bob Backlund is just as good as Lance Storm is. Oh, and he's also proven he can win big matches, something Lance Storm hasn't. Backlund wins with a chicken wing.

Damn... what a great match this would be!

It's so hard to pick one here. On one side, you have Bob Backlund, who's much more accomplished then Lance Storm and is pretty legit. But then you look at the athlete Storm is and you have to figure Backlund, in his prime, never faced anyone as quick and agile as Storm, who could perhaps go hold for hold with him if he wanted to. Then you add to the fact that Storm is stronger.... one could really make the argument here as to why Storm should go over.

But I can't vote against Backlund. Like I said, too accomplished, and plus... I don't think there's anyway Storm could finish someone like Backlund off. He didn't have much in his repertoire that would beat someone. I mean… Backlund is never going to tap to something like a single leg Boston Crap, and I doubt Storm’s superkick could knock him out.

Besides, Storm would be so disgusted with TNA's booking before his match, that he'd probably just get out of the building as soon as possible so he wouldn't have to bear being a part of such a mess much longer.

Either Bret Hart has a high pain threshold or the Crossface Chicken Wing is a terrible submission move. Or maybe I've got it all wrong, was the Chicken Win supposed to put people to sleep as opposed to causing them pain? Either way, Bret Hart was in it for half an hour, he didn't seem too fussed about it. If it wasn't for that damn Helen he'd still be champion now.

Lance Storm is Canadian, they breed them tough up there. Must be the cold. Vote Storm.

Storm is a nobody, he writes a blog because he was never good enough to do anything of meaning. Backlund, on the other hand was awesome at one point during his career. He might not have been the flashiest, but he got the job done. Storm never beat anyone, and this is a tournament based on Kayfabe. No way Bob loses... Bob locks on the chicken-wing and Storm is tapping in a heart beat.

Well, I can't exactly call Storm a slouch. The guy had tremendous legitimate skill, was a very good high flier and did win some major titles in his career. If I recall, he was a 3-time WCW United States Heavyweight Champion, a former WWF IC Champ and I think he won the WWE World Tag Team Championships 3 or 4 times.

However, Bob Backlund also had tremendous legitimate skills as a wrestler, was a great natural athlete and could go the distance. Backlund's first reign as WWWF Champion is the second longest in the title's history, he took on and defeated some of the very best of his day, had some classic broadways against Harley Race back when Race was NWA Champion.

I can't vote against Backlund in this. He had the goods and was capable of wrestling anyone at anytime and could put on an entertaining match. I've heard about Storm's blog and, based on what I've heard, the guy spends much of his time putting down modern wrestling, complaining about this and that. Maybe he has some legitimate points at times and maybe sometimes it's just sour grapes.

Whenever I hear someone mention Bob Backlund, I know who he is. When I hear someone mention Lance Storm, I have to stop and think for a bit, maybe go look something up and that's when I say "Oh yeah, I remember that guy now".

Storm will give him a pretty good go, but Backlund takes this at the 15 minute mark.

What did Lance Storm ever do?
He was part of memorable and successful teams with patners like jericho and credible, was leading a very succesful stable in WCW , was part of INVASION storyline, was part of unamerican stable not to mention he won tag team and midcard titles in the 3 biggest promotions in US.

When talking about the most over rated superstars by the IWC of all time, Lance Storm ranks near the top.
He is vastly underrated by marks and underpushed by vince mcmahon(as a singles star).
The IWC rates him correctly thankfully.
WHY? beacuse he was that damn good (in ring).
He had absolutely no charisma and was one of the most boring wrestlers that I have ever seen in my life,
Dont be markish enough to allow yourself be fed by wwe creative that LANCE STORM was boring. STORM was anything but BORING.
He put some of the best promos pn NITRO at a time when their show was loosing steam. IF I CAN BE SERIOUS FOR A MINUTE and STAND UP FOR THE PLAYING OF THE CANADIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM were some of the entertaining moments from the NITROs airing in 2000- 200 era.

While entertainment value isn't what I base these matches on, I felt the need to get that out there.
If you consider it on basis of in ring skill match can go either way.

What did Lance Storm do? Seriously, what?
in addition to what i mentioned at the beginning of my post LANCE STORM was the only man perhaps in the history of WCW to hold 3 championships simultaneously. that is impressive feat in itself.

Lance Storm was a good technical wrestler. Apparently, that's all it takes to win these matches. If someone was a good technician, he goes over.
BOTH of them are good technical wrestlers. BACKLUND has a slight edge in mat grappling maybe but storm is quicker and has greater high flying skills. BOTH men can win, backlund if he can lock in the chicken wing right in the centre of the ring and lance storm if he can get a superkick out of nowhere or lock in the CANADIAN MAPLE LEAF.

First of all, thanks for making my job a little bit easier.

midcard titles in the 3 biggest promotions in US.
Exactly, he was a mid carder, and a career mid carder. Most Main Eventers do not lose to Mid Carders, and it won't start here either.

Backlund won the WWWF title from Billy Graham, and the WWF title from Bret Hart. Backlund is far superior, and he'd have Storm tapping out to the chickenwing in a matter of minutes. Backlund has put on MOTY's, Storm hasn't. He was too busy losing the big one to Booker T.

There is a reason why Storm never won the big one, and that reason is because he wasn't good enough. Backlund was, case closed.

I think Storm is great, I really do, and I think he was unlucky not to be a bigger deal in his career, but he wasn't a big deal when push comes to shove.

Nobody in the world cares about Bob Backlund, but he held the WWE championship for longer than Hulk Hogan. He carried the promotion for a long time, and even in 93 (I think) managed to last for over an hour in the Royal Rumble, showing he had the endurance necessary to last in a long technical match with Storm. It'd be a good match, but even with the crowd on his side, Storm wouldn't be able to win this one, I don't think.

I like Storm here in a great bout. Backlund and him would prob beat the crap out of each other, but I think Storm could handle him and get the victory.

backlund was just as good of a wrestler as lance storm. and him playing both a face and a psychotic heel showed his versatility. he was great in the ring and has beaten some of THEE BEST, like Superstar Billy Graham. He's held the WWE world title belt twice. This alone makes anything Lance Storm ever achieved not even worth mentioning. Storm was nothing more than a glorified mid carder, with barely any charisma, that would fall pray to Mr. backlund.

I really believe Lance Storm is vastly overrated. The guy can wrestle, I'll give him that, but some people put him out to be a god of technical wrestling. If he was such a god, wouldnt he have accomplished SOMETHING noteworthy in his career? Theres no way Storm can take Backlund in his prime, he was golden back in his younger years. Backlund in about a 20 minute match.

Lance Storm was a good technical wrestler. Apparently, that's all it takes to win these matches.

I want you to re-read what you just said, very slowly. And then, take your right palm, and place it on your forehead.

Of course being a good wrestler means you win matches. Or, have you been drinking the same water as Sly, and think being a good wreslter means you suck?

Oh, and he's also proven he can win big matches, something Lance Storm hasn't. Backlund wins with a chicken wing.

Lance Storm has won plenty of big matches. Oh, wait. I forgot. You didn't watch old school ECW. His matches, and feuds, were among the best in the company during his time there. His promos may be shit, but talking on the mic won't win any matches anywhere. Unless your name is Ken Kennedy.

Backlund won the WWWF title from Billy Graham, and the WWF title from Bret Hart.

That he quickly lost to Diesel, in 8 seconds.

My vote goes to Lance Storm, obviously. One reason, is that this is in Canada. The second reason, is that his superkick, unlike Shawn Michaels', really did come from out of nowhere, and rarely missed. It may not have been as flashy, but like talking on the mic, flashy doesn't win matches.

I want you to re-read what you just said, very slowly. And then, take your right palm, and place it on your forehead.

Of course being a good wrestler means you win matches. Or, have you been drinking the same water as Sly, and think being a good wreslter means you suck?

Lance Storm has won plenty of big matches. Oh, wait. I forgot. You didn't watch old school ECW. His matches, and feuds, were among the best in the company during his time there. His promos may be shit, but talking on the mic won't win any matches anywhere. Unless your name is Ken Kennedy.

That he quickly lost to Diesel, in 8 seconds.

My vote goes to Lance Storm, obviously. One reason, is that this is in Canada. The second reason, is that his superkick, unlike Shawn Michaels', really did come from out of nowhere, and rarely missed. It may not have been as flashy, but like talking on the mic, flashy doesn't win matches.
Who was an excellent worker in ECW? Not many, he was a career mid carder, Backlund on the other hand has gone toe to toe with the best workers of his era. He defeated Bret Hart in a 30+ minute match, he went toe to toe with SuperStar Billy Graham several times before defeating him.

Lance Storm was too busy getting called boring, losing to Booker T, and beating Albert for titles. I really wouldn't call any of those huge wins.

Backlund defeated Terry Funk, Bret Hart, Superstar Billy Graham, and Harley Race. Those are far bigger wins than anyone Storm has defeated.

Lance Storm isn't boring, that's a wwe driven product much like the Charlie Haas pop of today. It's a thing in which smarks have killed a wrestler trying to be cute. However, this match is a push for me. While I think Storm falls into the underrated category, Mr. Backlund does as well. Honestly, people forget that Backlund was a champion for, what, 3 years? Please correct me if I'm wrong. The guy was WWE champion for three years, a month before Hogan became champion of said title. No small task. Backlund just didn't have the look that vince Jr. wanted, but vince Sr. absolutely loved.

I love Lance Storm, I truly think he is great, b ut his resume is nothing compared to what Backlund did against all comers.

Lance Storm was too busy getting called boring, losing to Booker T, and beating Albert for titles. I really wouldn't call any of those huge wins.

You can't seriously be using his time in WWE as his prime. Please tell me you're not.

His prime was in ECW, as a member of the (real) Impact Players. His promos were boring, but if you were to listen to what he says, they were damn good. It doesn't take the charisma of Stone Cold to cut a great promo.

Bob Backlund held the WWF title for almost 6 years! 6 YEARS! Not only did he hold the title for that long, he only lost the belt after wrestling the Shiek with a bad back in a match in which he never gave up or tapped out. Bob Backlund was one of the best ever. Even after he was past his prime and a shell of his former self, he still managed to defeat a prime Bret Hart for the WWF title. Lance Storm would be tapping out to the most feared submission hold in all of professional wrestling, the crossface chicken wing no questions asked. Lance Storm was highly underrated, but Bob Backlund was the man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back