TNA Region, San Antonio Subregion, Second Round: (7) Dory Funk Jr. vs. (10) Edge

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Dory Funk Jr.

• Edge

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the TNA Region, San Antonio Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas.

attcenter_0.jpg

dory-funk-jr-picture-5.jpg

#7. Dory Funk Jr.

Vs.

Edge_660891a.jpg

#10. Edge

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Ever since Edge got to the final a few years ago, he has been unfairly dumped out of the tournament too early as retribution. Edge is a great wrestler - he took 8 years to reach the main event and stayed there for 5 years, which is remarkably similar to the trajectories of Hart and Michaels and for me, he is in that tier of performer - not the biggest or best name of all time, but a very successful and high quality wrestler. Like Hart, he never got the chance to let his career wind down, and like Michaels he lost some of his best years to injury. Funk became world champion largely due to his father's politicking and he never gave the match people wanted to lose the title to Brisco. Edge is better and Edge would win.

What a brilliant matchup. I hope the Rated R star kisses Dory's wife or something in the leadup to this. I'll give this to Edge, Dory was ok in Amarillo as Champ, but had no fanfare outside of it. Edge became THE heel in WWE for a good 2 years and won the belt during that time on multiple occasions.

While I admit to being no expert on Dory Funk Jr, I'm starting to realise how brilliant Edge was, from rewatching alot of his matches on the WWE Network.

He played the creepy silent character in his early days in The Brood, then the goofy "reeking of awesomeness" persona while he and Christian were racking up Tag Team Championship reigns, before becoming a huge fan favourite and then ending up as The Rated R Superstar, the Ultimate Opportunist. And he was hugely successful at them all.

While titles don't neccesarily mean anything, Edge is technically the most decorated WWE superstar of all time, winning everything there is to win numerous times from the late 1990s to the early 2010s. While Dory and brother Terry are a hugely successful tag-team, Edge helped raise the WWE Tag Team Division to huge heights around the turn of the century, and then went on the become the company's top heel for a decent length of time, finding a way to beat everyone he came across.

I've got huge respect for Funk for what he accomplished as NWA World Champion and even wrestling occasionally today in his 70s, but I think Edge would find a sneaky way to get the win here, like he did so many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back