TNA Region, Mexico City Subregion, First Round: (14) Gene Kiniski vs.(19)Jushin Liger

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Gene Kiniski

• Jushin Thunder Liger

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Mexico City Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Arena Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico.

arena-mexico-1.jpg

kinsiki2.jpg

#14. Gene Kiniski

Vs.

jushinliger_fp.png

#19. Jushin Thunder Liger

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Gene Kiniski was one of the NWA's most popular and distinguished NWA champions. During his career he defeated Lou Thesz for the NWA strap, Verne Gagne for the AWA strap, Dick the Brusier for the WWA strap, and he damn near defeated Bruno Sammartino for the WWE strap. He fought, feuded with, and defeated nearly every big name of the time period, and was widely considered the US's top wrestler at his peak.

Jushin Liger was one of Japan's most distinguished and decorated light heavyweights. He was the Japanese equivalent of Danny Hodge, who dominated the NWA as it's top light heavyweight for decades. Hodge was not allowed to wrestle any of the top heavyweights for political reasons. Even though Jack Brisco vs Danny Hodge was considered the top fan dream match of the era. But when he went overseas he defeated several of them. Lou Thesz I know being one. Jushin Liger on the other hand hardly ever wrestled heavyweights, and when he did wrestle any of note he would lose.

This match is a classic big man versus little man match where the big man is going to emerge victorious.

Big Thunder wins in pretty routine fashion.

Don't see anyone voting on this match so I'll bump it. Just remember to vote Kiniski because he was the top heavyweight of his time, while Jushin Liger was a top lightweight who never broke out of his division. I mean if Liger can't defeat the 230 pound Great Muta how is he going to defeat the 6'6 270 pound Gene Kiniski? Big Thunder would probably kill him.

Go Canada.

Argh, Liger got all of his good will back when he beat Michaels. What a crazy time that was. The reality is he shouldn't have won then and he shouldn't win now. Kiniski was a big name back then and he dethroned some huge names of the era. Liger's biggest win happened in this tournament. Kiniski wins.

Disclaimer: I won't pretend that I have in-depth wrestling knowledge about a wide range of superstars. So, I'm going to perform my voting a little differently. There will be 127 matches in total in this tournament. I've comprised a list of 63 random 1v1 events. I'll randomize the list and base my vote off the results of who I think would win the selected event with my odd logic.

This event: Golden Eye (N64)

Logic: This argument is easy. Gene Kiniski sounds like an unlockable Bond villain character while Liger could be a villain on Beetleborgs. Gene wins with relevancy.

Winner: Gene Kiniski

Man I miss Ligerbomb, he would set everyone straight here.

I don't get why anyone would vote for Kiniski. Who here has actually sat through a Kiniski match? And it's not like this guy has some epic aura about him like Lou Thesz and Buddy Rogers... it's Gene Kiniski. He's a mediocre name from the 50's and 60's who got one long reign with the NWA Championship. Big whoop.

Liger on the other hand is one of the greatest Japanese wrestlers, ever. And he's one of the VERY FEW Japanese wrestlers to have great success in both Japan and America. He is a LEGEND.

Just because Liger accomplished what he did in the 90's instead of the 60's doesn't make it any less awesome. He still helped revolutionize American wrestling, had some of the greatest matches ever, and just created one of the most beloved characters ever in Japanese pro wrestling history. He should definitely go over a guy literally no one gives a shit about in Gene Kiniski.

Not to mention in an actual match, Liger would beat the shit ouf Kiniski, so there's that to take into account as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back