TNA Region, Fourth Round, TLC Match: (2) Bruno Sammartino vs. (11) Daniel Bryan

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Bruno Sammartino

• Daniel Bryan

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fourth round match in the TNA Region. It is a Tables, Ladders and Chairs match, held at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida.

AmwayCenter1.jpg

Rules: A briefcase will be hung over the ring and the wrestlers must climb a ladder to pull it down. Tables, ladders and chairs will be provided and encouraged for use.

bruno-sammartino-wwe-2k14.png

#3. Bruno Sammartino

Vs.

daniel_bryan_bio_20130430.png

#11. Daniel Bryan

Polls will be open for five days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I'm not saying Bruno couldn't climb a ladder. That's fucking stupid. Any person can climb a ladder. I'm not saying Bruno couldn't use a chair (I'm sure he'd have preferred a wooden one rather than the standard issue steel though). I'm not saying Bruno wouldn't use the table as a weapon - though I feel he'd be more likely to complain about the poor workmanship as it breaks easily and doesn't support his cup of coffee.

What I am saying is that Daniel Bryan has a better win/loss record in this match type than Bruno. What I am saying is that Daniel Bryan has been seen in front of more people the world over than Bruno has. What I am saying is that while Bruno is a pioneer, no one has ever said beyond his prime, 'well gee whiz, I really want to see that Bruno match. I bet that's real fun', something which has and will continue to be said about Daniel Bryan.

Bruno was the face of a regional promotion and hot as hell itself in one region. Daniel Bryan is a main event player in the world's biggest wrestling company, performed in front of people the entire world over and has name recognition from such. Oh and WrestleMania XXX - legends at ringside: Bret Hart is cheered loudly, Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes and Bob Backlund are all given pops of respect if nothing else. Bruno? Crickets. Daniel Bryan on that night? 70,000+ doing his signature pose and shouting his signature chant.

I don't care if Bryan's "workrate" is better than Bruno's, I don't care if more people have seen Bryan wrestle and I don't care if Bryan won the World Title at Wrestlemania 30 for 1 simple reason: because none of those things would help Bryan win a match here. Using those as arguments are just absurd given that it was pretty much impossible for Sammartino to do any of those things given the era in which he performed.

The way I see it, Bryan has 3 things over Bruno in this match: His speed, his technical wrestling and his familiarity with the match at hand but those 3 things aren't going to be enough to beat Bruno here. Bryan is going against one of the strongest men in the world in this match, he's going against a guy with incredible heart, incredible fan fare and had a 2 title reigns that spanned over 11 years. Both Bryan and Sammartino had their title reigns ended due to a broken neck but unlike Bryan, Sammartino still wrestled not to mention Superstar Billy Graham still had to cheat to win the title off a guy with a broken neck. Some of those beatings Bruno took during his prime were pretty brutal but he always found a way to win. He wrestled through multiple injuries during his career which shows that he's a lot tougher than Bryan and that will definitely come into play when wrestling in a TLC match.

Bryan might be faster and more creative with a ladder but once Bruno got a hold of Bryan he would beat him so bad that vegan stuffing would fly out. The fact is it isn't going to come down to Bryan and his technical prowess, it's going to come down to the guy who can take the beating and keep coming back. Now Bryan also has great heart and has definitely shown toughness but I don't believe it's quite on the level that Bruno's is. I think it will be a good match but ultimately I think Bruno's toughness and strength will ultimately be too much for Bryan to handle. Bruno will squeeze the life out of Bryan and walk up the ladder to win.

Bruno wins.

Bruno sold out the most important and historic sports arena in the world 200 times. Fuck what Bryan did at Wrestlemania. He didn't draw those 70,000 people. WWE's name value did. And where is he now? Not in the main event picture holding the second tier title. Bruno was WWE's most dominant champion ever. He was the "man" for longer than Bryan has been in the WWE.

And for those that want to claim Bruno was a glorified regional star, what the fuck is Daniel Bryan? He doesn't transcend the industry. His name isn't bigger than WWE's. The WWE brand name may as well be it's own "territory" today with how common non fans perceive it and pro wrestling.

Bruno could climb a ladder. He could swing a chair. He could put Bryan through a table. He would beat Daniel Bryan in a TLC match.

Vote Bruno.

What I am saying is that while Bruno is a pioneer, no one has ever said beyond his prime, 'well gee whiz, I really want to see that Bruno match. I bet that's real fun', something which has and will continue to be said about Daniel Bryan.

Sorry Funkay but this is just silly. People didn't want to see Bruno past his prime? Then why did WWE bring him back for a second long term tour as world champion in the 70's, even though he had already spent several years main-eventing in the 60's?

Bruno just wouldn't do this kind of match, would he? Ignoring the pride of Bruno Sammartino, the man, Bruno Sammartino the wrestler would win this match. Sammartino showed himself to be a sustained draw over a number of years, something Bryan has yet to achieve. It's a comparison of apples and oranges, really, but I think you have to give it to Sammartino.

There really is no valid argument for Bryan on any level, beyond the fact that Sammartino would probably refuse to be in this sort of match.

Vote based upon that if you would like to.

Im echoing NorCal here. There is very little to say for Bryan here. Yes he beat the machine and then made it get behind him but I don't see him going over Bruno under any cicumstance.

Bruno

I have to give this to Sammartino. The guy DOMINATED during his epic title reigns, and was THE guy for so long. To me, as good as DB is (and I much prefer him to Bruno) he has NEVER been the guy, apart from a month or two after last years WM before his injury. WWE trusted Bruno to lead the organsisation for years, and it took a huge amount of fan support to even get Bryan into the main event, WWE didn't want him there.

I really don't see WWE booking Bryan to win a match like this, he'd put up a good fight but eventually Bruno would come out on top. He may hate the type of match, but he can certainly swing a chair and slam Bryan through a table.

I am willing to bet that Bruno could win this by avoiding the use of any of the three proposed weapons besides climbing the ladder to win. Bryan hits Bruno with a chair and it is game over- he could twist Bryan into a knot if you made him angry. DB may be fast & good in his own right at the mat game, but this is Bruno Sammartino. The guy that dominated wrestling for an untouchable amount of time & for good reason. He was a badass.

Sure times are different now & I enjoy the hell out of Daniel Bryan, but if not for Bruno doing his thing- we would have never gotten to this point. Before Cena\Austin\Rock\Hogan, etc...there was Bruno. Even Bryan himself would have no problem doing the job here & any respectable intelligent promoter would make the same call.

Vote for Bruno.

If we're not gonna use the match stipulations, then why have them?

Bruno has never competed in a ladder match, while Bryan has won both a Money in the Bank plus recently defeated six other men in front over 70,000 fans to become Intercontinental champion.

If these were accomplishments achieved by a totally overmatched opponent, perhaps they could be ignored due to Bruno's importance and accolades; but they are the achievements of the man who has more ROH world title defenses than any other, is a WWE grand slam champ, and holds four world titles in the WWE, one of which he won in the main event of WrestleMania in a full dome by winning two matches and defeating three men who combine for over 30 world titles themselves. Bryan has done enough in his career to defeat anyone in this tourney in a match where the stipulation is so heavily in his favor.

Vote Bryan.

This is all kinds of wrong right here, why the fuck is Bruno trailing Bryan here?

Are you people incredibly daft? We would equate Edge with TLC coz he was the marquee name attached to it, Taker with Casket or Hell In A Cell coz he is the innovator of both, saying Bryan has won two ladder matches and that gives him the advantage is like saying I am well versed in the works of Shakespeare because I was in a high school production of Hamlet.

Bruno's star superceeds Bryan's accomplishments unbelievably. And if still you wanna say Bryan, atleast say something credible like Bruno never even wrestled in Florida, coz he didn't. Don't pull anything out of your ass and spew it.

This is Bruno, all Bruno

A lot of old retired Italians living in Florida. The booker decides to put this match on first, give those fans what they want by giving Bruno a win, they even make it quick so that those fans can beat traffic and be in bed by 8:45. Those fans are extra happy since they don't have to lift their arthritic arms in the air and chant "Yes" through their strained vocal chords.

Bruno wins. Also because this is TNA and Dixie is certainly going to push the guy who had more time with the WWE title. Maybe Bryan wins this in about 10 years when he is certainly a WWE has been.

Edit: whoops, I voted for the wrong guy. Turns out Bruno came to the arena high on rigatoni and after shave. Dixie still sent him out there to compete but has Bryan sprint up the ladder for the quick win while Bruno is distracted by Dixie naming Larry Zybysko the latest inductee to the TNA Hall of Fame.

Congrats to Daniel Bryan for my screw up.

Nah, Dixie would have pushed Bryan because he reminds the retired community of their grandsons. He seems like the chap that would call his grandma and visit to bring her favorite cookies. Bruno reminds them of a fellow they saw at the carnival once. That sends them on a tangent about when they got swindled at the ring toss game & ends with a rambling speech on how salt water taffy is too sweet.

Vote Bryan. He gives the elderly something nice to remember as they are playing bingo.

It's always interesting when a guy is winning the vote despite not having any real arguments in his favor.

Daniel Bryan is a nice story, but who has he defeated? HHH several years past his prime? Cena? One time, with no rematch in sight. I like DB as well, but if you just want to see him move on to someone he might actually stand a chance against, just say so.

Bruno was 1000x the dominant force Bryan has been. There isn't a single match Bryan should win against Bruno, not even a ladder match. When Bryan puts together a record in the same universe as Bruno's, let me know. Maybe I will consider my thought of DB standing a 0/100 shot against Bruno.

What I am saying is that Daniel Bryan has a better win/loss record in this match type than Bruno.

Because Bruno never wrestled in one. But at the end of the day it is only a ladder match with weapons. Bruno in his career was never shy about using chairs or the ringside bell. He wrestled in cage matches, no DQ matches and death matches. This one will be no problem. Even someone with more experience in one of these can lose, ask Edge.

What I am saying is that Daniel Bryan has been seen in front of more people the world over than Bruno has.

Bruno is the second biggest draw in wrestling history behind Jim Londos. When Bryan cracks the top ten then we will talk.

What I am saying is that while Bruno is a pioneer, no one has ever said beyond his prime, 'well gee whiz, I really want to see that Bruno match. I bet that's real fun', something which has and will continue to be said about Daniel Bryan.

We will see 30 years after Bryan's last match if this is true. Until then...bullshit.

Bruno was the face of a regional promotion and hot as hell itself in one region.

Oh dear God. OK, yes the WWWF promoted and operated in the Northeast. It was a region as big or close to the NWAs and AWAs territories. However, Bruno defended the belt also in Eastern Canada, the Midwest, Texas, Mexico, western Canada, California, South America, Australia and Japan. All without the machine that is the WWE. And he sold out everywhere.

Daniel Bryan is a main event player in the world's biggest wrestling company, performed in front of people the entire world over and has name recognition from such.

So have The Miz and Jack Swagger.

Daniel Bryan on that night? 70,000+ doing his signature pose and shouting his signature chant.

And the year before he lost the World title in the opening match in 18 seconds.

If we're not gonna use the match stipulations, then why have them?

Bruno has never competed in a ladder match, while Bryan has won both a Money in the Bank plus recently defeated six other men in front over 70,000 fans to become Intercontinental champion.

If these were accomplishments achieved by a totally overmatched opponent, perhaps they could be ignored due to Bruno's importance and accolades; but they are the achievements of the man who has more ROH world title defenses than any other, is a WWE grand slam champ, and holds four world titles in the WWE, one of which he won in the main event of WrestleMania in a full dome by winning two matches and defeating three men who combine for over 30 world titles themselves. Bryan has done enough in his career to defeat anyone in this tourney in a match where the stipulation is so heavily in his favor.

Vote Bryan.

Its not. First, it is one on one. Has Bryan won one of those. In order to defeat Bruno he will have to incapacitate him long enough to climb the ladder and win. He will have to incapacitate a man who in his prime rarely lost, let alone got beat down. Sammartino on the other hand routinely won cage matches by beating his opponent lifeless and slowly walking out of the cage.

Second, it is a ladder match with conveniently placed weapons. Know who has ladder victorys? Dusty Rhodes and The Junkyard Dog. Razor Ramon beat Micheals in one even though Micheals had the experience. Undertaker beat Hardy, same situation. And Cena beat Edge.

No, the stip is not heavily in Bryan's favor.

There is not a logical reason why Bruno should lose this. The fact he is just shows how broken this tournament is.

Because Bruno never wrestled in one. But at the end of the day it is only a ladder match with weapons. Bruno in his career was never shy about using chairs or the ringside bell. He wrestled in cage matches, no DQ matches and death matches. This one will be no problem. Even someone with more experience in one of these can lose, ask Edge.

It's not impossible of course, but Daniel Bryan having experience AND WINNING these matches is going to help him. It's a small point but a crucial one.

Bruno is the second biggest draw in wrestling history behind Jim Londos. When Bryan cracks the top ten then we will talk.

Oh you can fuck right off with this. What's the proof of this? Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Steve Austin, The Rock all outdraw Bruno easily and that's only the elite WWF/E guys. We're not even getting into Triple H or Randy Savage or guys like El Santo. Bruno was a huge draw, sure, but second of all time? Get out of here with that.

We will see 30 years after Bryan's last match if this is true. Until then...bullshit.

How often do you hear people say 'I'm going to use the Network, YouTube, Dailymotion, etc... to seek out Bruno Sammartino matches'? I have never heard anyone say that. Bruno Sammartino was surpassed a long time ago in terms of quality and ability and he's remembered fondly because he was the king of the now wrestling mega power that is WWE in there early days.

Oh dear God. OK, yes the WWWF promoted and operated in the Northeast. It was a region as big or close to the NWAs and AWAs territories. However, Bruno defended the belt also in Eastern Canada, the Midwest, Texas, Mexico, western Canada, California, South America, Australia and Japan. All without the machine that is the WWE. And he sold out everywhere.

How well did Bruno do prior to his HoF induction in this tournament? His success in this tournament and the interest in his career has been enhanced because of the WWE.

Also, these are all the same places that Daniel Bryan has been and main evented in too with a television audience the world over often viewing his exploits. Bruno's exploits are confined to the history books and the memories of those who were there. Bryan's reach is greater than Bruno's.

So have The Miz and Jack Swagger.

And you know what the funny thing about that is? In about ten years time, people are going to be talking about them more (whether it be positively or negatively) than Sammartino. Y'know why? Because nobody outside of hardcore fans and people who lived through it, give two shits about Bruno Sammartino.

We talk about Lou Thesz with such respect and admiration because what he did was memorable, had longevity and illustrated that he was the best in the world. Bruno is a lesser Lou Thesz: he wasn't as memorable (and that goes beyond Thesz by the way) and he was never the undisputed best in the world in the same way Thesz was.

Bruno being a big draw is great and all but his legacy only exists to the general public because of his Hall of Fame induction and even then, outside of the year he went in, very few people have cared about him. Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan has been taking the world by storm, usurping a machine which attempted to suppress his popularity and created a bigger feel-good moment than Bruno could get in his entire career.

And the year before he lost the World title in the opening match in 18 seconds.

Still more memorable and entertaining than anything Bruno did in his career.

I voted for Daniel Bryan because I like him more. That's a reason that a lot of people have given, because Bruno is not interesting. He's a big star sure, but how many of you are voting for Bruno Sammartino because you've sat and watched his stuff and furthermore, enjoyed it?

Daniel Bryan has achieved all the notoriety and accolades that Bruno has and more. He's main evented shows bigger than Bruno's. He main evented WrestleMania, won, created one of the biggest and best feel-good moments ever all in front of 70, 000 plus.

I've never seen Bruno as hugely influential - hell the man he lost his WWF title to is considered to be far more influential (Billy Graham). He was a big draw of course, but so was Big Daddy and he apparently would lose to Sid Vicious so I see zero reason why Bryan is being credited in these written posts as being out of his league and it's Bruno in a walk.

It's not impossible of course, but Daniel Bryan having experience AND WINNING these matches is going to help him. It's a small point but a crucial one.

Not as crucial as you are making it out to be. He has two matches to Bruno's none and neither of them were one on one. I have shown that in ladder matches experience does not translate into victory. Edge specifically picked this match to defend his title against Cena and lost.

Oh you can fuck right off with this. What's the proof of this? Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Steve Austin, The Rock all outdraw Bruno easily and that's only the elite WWF/E guys. We're not even getting into Triple H or Randy Savage or guys like El Santo. Bruno was a huge draw, sure, but second of all time? Get out of here with that.

http://wrestlingbestscoops.blogspot.com/2012/12/100-biggest-draws-in-pro-wrestling.html

Santo you could argue but the other no way. Austan was on top for three years while Sammartino was on top for 21. Not even close.
Metzler did one for just the WWE in about 2008 that had the top three as Sammartino, Hogan and Backland. I could try to find that one also but judging by your arguments facts aren't something you like.

How often do you hear people say 'I'm going to use the Network, YouTube, Dailymotion, etc... to seek out Bruno Sammartino matches'? I have never heard anyone say that. Bruno Sammartino was surpassed a long time ago in terms of quality and ability and he's remembered fondly because he was the king of the now wrestling mega power that is WWE in there early days.

And I have never heard anyone say that about Bryan. Whats your point?

How well did Bruno do prior to his HoF induction in this tournament? His success in this tournament and the interest in his career has been enhanced because of the WWE.

And Bryan's hasn't. This is the furthest he has ever gone. He didn't even compete in the first three and never made it past round two until now. Even last year with his 'great wrestlemania moment' he was done after two.

Also, these are all the same places that Daniel Bryan has been and main evented in too with a television audience the world over often viewing his exploits. Bruno's exploits are confined to the history books and the memories of those who were there. Bryan's reach is greater than Bruno's.

Are you that dense? Of course they are in history books...its history. Bruno has not wrestled in 30 years. What the hell is your point?

And you know what the funny thing about that is? In about ten years time, people are going to be talking about them more (whether it be positively or negatively) than Sammartino. Y'know why? Because nobody outside of hardcore fans and people who lived through it, give two shits about Bruno Sammartino.

News flash junior, no one but hardcore fans care about The Miz, Swagger or Bryan.

We talk about Lou Thesz with such respect and admiration because what he did was memorable, had longevity and illustrated that he was the best in the world. Bruno is a lesser Lou Thesz: he wasn't as memorable (and that goes beyond Thesz by the way) and he was never the undisputed best in the world in the same way Thesz was.

Your opinion. Mine differs.

Bruno being a big draw is great and all but his legacy only exists to the general public because of his Hall of Fame induction and even then, outside of the year he went in, very few people have cared about him. Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan has been taking the world by storm, usurping a machine which attempted to suppress his popularity and created a bigger feel-good moment than Bruno could get in his entire career.

Your goofy. Bryan is more well known as the boyfriend to a diva by the general public then as a great wrestler.

Still more memorable and entertaining than anything Bruno did in his career.

Even more goofy. That match was blasted yet you are saying it is better then all the matches Bruno had. That's sad.

I've never seen Bruno as hugely influential - hell the man he lost his WWF title to is considered to be far more influential (Billy Graham). He was a big draw of course, but so was Big Daddy and he apparently would lose to Sid Vicious so I see zero reason why Bryan is being credited in these written posts as being out of his league and it's Bruno in a walk.

OK. Sammartino is considered one of the best if not the best champion of all time. His eleven years as champ is almost equal to the total years Bryan has been wrestling. Without a large WWE machine to push him Sammartino became a world wide attraction. Sammartino twice saved the WWWF from going under. In 1965 Sammartino was asked by the NWA to become their champ as well as the WWWF champ. The larger NWA wanted to make Sammartino their champ. That would be like the WWE approaching TNA and suggesting a unification match with the TNA champ winning. In 1971 Sammartino was invited with his family to Vatican City and given a private audience with Pope John VI. After his retirement McMahon JR wooed him out of retirement. McMahon had Hogan but still realized just how big and over Sammartino was. During this run Sammartino feuded with and defeated Savage, HonkyTonkMan and Piper( who he beat in a cage ).

Sammartino is a member of the International Sports Hall of Fame(2013), Professional Wrestling Museum and Hall of Fame(2002), WWE Hall of Fame(2013), World Wide Wrestling Alliance Hall of Fame(2008), Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame(1996), Italian/American Sports Hall of Fame(1989)( not Wrestling but SPORTS ) and the MSG Walk of Fame.

In 2007 he received the Key to the City in Franklin, PA. In 2013 he received the Key to the City in Jersey City, NJ and also in 2013 in Allegheny County, PA May 17th was declared 'Bruno Sammartino Day'.

If you want to vote for Bryan because you like him, great. But there are no sound arguments for Bryan to go over Sammartino.

Not as crucial as you are making it out to be. He has two matches to Bruno's none and neither of them were one on one. I have shown that in ladder matches experience does not translate into victory. Edge specifically picked this match to defend his title against Cena and lost.

One sentence of a 30 sentence argument? Didn't realise I was making it out to be that big a deal, but seeing as you're apparently some sort of savant I should know better than to question you're authority.

URL="http://wrestlingbestscoops.blogspot.com/2012/12/100-biggest-draws-in-pro-wrestling.html"]http://wrestlingbestscoops.blogspot.com/2012/12/100-biggest-draws-in-pro-wrestling.html[/URL]

Santo you could argue but the other no way. Austan was on top for three years while Sammartino was on top for 21. Not even close.

Metzler did one for just the WWE in about 2008 that had the top three as Sammartino, Hogan and Backland. I could try to find that one also but judging by your arguments facts aren't something you like.

So you're main source here is a blog, whose primary language is Spanish, with an English article, from a guy I (and likely no one else aside from maybe six people) have heard of. Well excellent.

Regarding your Meltzer list: Triple H is number 5. That's higher than Steve Austin and The Rock. Triple H is also considered the #1 draw of the 00's according to Meltzer. You know why this is the case? Because Triple H wrestled the entire decade as a top guy. Do wrestling fans consider him to be in the top, let's say ten, wrestler's of all time? Do they fuck.

Austin and Rock were on top of the card's (first world title reign until they're last matches (in Rock's case until he came back in 2011/2012)) for five and six years respectively, and both those included long periods out due to injury and making films. So they're total primes combined create the length of Bruno's first title reign and still people give much more of a shit about those two than they do about Sammartino.

Also of note:

Meltzer on Austin said:
Nobody ever in company history was a bigger drawing card or merchandise seller then he was at his peak.

So essentially Steve Austin burned brighter than any star in the wrestling cosmos, ever.

Meltzer on Top Draws Per Year said:
1998 - 1. Steve Austin (set all-time record for most big gates in one year); 2. Undertaker; 3. Kane; 4. Mick Foley; 5. The Rock; 6. Bill Goldberg; 7. Hulk Hogan; 8. HHH; 9. Sting; 10. Randy Savage

1999 - 1. The Rock (set all-time record for most big gates in one year); 2. Steve Austin; 3. HHH; 4. Big Show; 5. Kane; 6. Undertaker; 7. Keiji Muto; 8. Bill Goldberg; 9. Ric Flair; 10. Kevin Nash

2000 - 1. The Rock (set all-time record for most big gates in one year); 2. HHH; 3. Kurt Angle; 4. Kane and Chris Benoit; 6. X-Pac; 7. Undertaker; 8. Road Dogg; 9. Naoya Ogawa; 10. Kensuke Sasaki and Chris Jericho

So Austin and Rock broke a record not established or set by Bruno, three years in a row. So what do these stats tell us? Quality>Longevity.

And I have never heard anyone say that about Bryan. Whats your point?

Then you're a tad blind and given that I'm not the Messiah, I can't cure of this ailment. However if you direct yourself to any long running thread in the spam section concerning good/great matches thyat have been rewatched you'll notice a remarkable lack of Sammartino and a remarkable amount of Daniel Bryan vs. the likes of John Cena, Sheamus, Triple H, Randy Orton, Cesaro, Ryback, The Shield, The Miz (The Miz) etc... All without even touching his pre-WWE work.

And Bryan's hasn't. This is the furthest he has ever gone. He didn't even compete in the first three and never made it past round two until now. Even last year with his 'great wrestlemania moment' he was done after two.

Indeed, but how has hindsight judged these two men? Equals up until this point and oh look Daniel Bryan is winning by four votes as I write this post.

Are you that dense? Of course they are in history books...its history. Bruno has not wrestled in 30 years. What the hell is your point?

My point is this: very few people are voting for Bruno because they like him and appreciate him and have seen his body of work. They're voting for him because 'oh yeah this guy's a big name from that wrestling history book/wikipedia'.

As I type this we live in the era where Daniel Bryan is just out of his prime (and I say that without the benefit of hindsight because who knows, he could undergo a renaissance period at some point in the future) and he is being voted for because people have seen his work and consider him to be that damn good.

Voting for someone based on reputation is great and all, but I'd rather vote for a guy who I know, appreciate, respect and whose talent and hard work is visible today in a way where I can vote for him confidently and write in this post that I honestly believe he is more fun, more entertaining and a better overall wrestler than Bruno Sammartino.

News flash junior, no one but hardcore fans care about The Miz, Swagger or Bryan.

So everyone who goes to a show these days and boos the Miz, and does 'We the People' and participates in a Yes chant is a hardcore fan...yeah that's manure. Oh and this is a myth that needs to be dispelled now:

Daniel Bryan main evented WrestleMania not because the hardcore fans advocated alone, but because a whole legion of people, young, old, hardcore, casual etc... could see with their own eyes that this is a guy who has worked so hard and is so damn good he needs to be in that position. He earned it and he made them change the course along with that legion of fans.

Your goofy. Bryan is more well known as the boyfriend to a diva by the general public then as a great wrestler.

Average audience for Total Divas - 1.5 million (if that)
Average audience for Raw - somewhere between 4 and 3.5 million viewers

Last time I checked 4 is bigger than 1. Could be wrong though...

Even more goofy. That match was blasted yet you are saying it is better then all the matches Bruno had. That's sad.

I never said it was better. I said it was more entertaining and memorable and considering that we're talking about that and not a single moment of Bruno's career, I'd like to think my point is proven.

OK. Sammartino is considered one of the best if not the best champion of all time. His eleven years as champ is almost equal to the total years Bryan has been wrestling. Without a large WWE machine to push him Sammartino became a world wide attraction. Sammartino twice saved the WWWF from going under. In 1965 Sammartino was asked by the NWA to become their champ as well as the WWWF champ. The larger NWA wanted to make Sammartino their champ. That would be like the WWE approaching TNA and suggesting a unification match with the TNA champ winning. In 1971 Sammartino was invited with his family to Vatican City and given a private audience with Pope John VI. After his retirement McMahon JR wooed him out of retirement. McMahon had Hogan but still realized just how big and over Sammartino was. During this run Sammartino feuded with and defeated Savage, HonkyTonkMan and Piper( who he beat in a cage ).

Oh good the Wikipedia entry's have begun:

- WWE World Heavyweight Champion x1
- WWE Champion x2
- World Heavyweight Champion x1
- Intercontinetal Champion x1 (Current)
- United States Champion x1
- Tag Team Champion x1
- Money in the Bank Holder
- Main Evented WrestleMania XXX

That's his WWE accomplishments. I could go into his PWI, Wrestling Observer, ROH, NJPW etc... accomplishments too, but that would be time wasting and you can just google all that.

Speaking of which, my Google searches show no record of the NWA asking Bruno to be champ in the same way that I see no evidence that Bruno pinned Randy Savage (all their matches were for the IC title and we all know Savage didn't lose that title until Ricky Steamboat at WrestleMania III, therefore I'd conclude that Savage lost via DQ and count-out. The same with the Honky Tonk Man.

Another thing of note here: Bruno's longevity and reign on top is largely founded on the high number of Catholics in the New York and North East area, an area heavy in Italian and Irish families. This is why the Pope gave him a private audience. An excellent and incredible feat for sure, but the Irish World Cup Football team of 1990 got an audience with the Pope. If you're Catholic and moderately successful, you get an audience with the fella.

Oh and Daniel Bryan has been wrestling for 16 years, significantly greater than 11.

Sammartino is a member of the International Sports Hall of Fame(2013), Professional Wrestling Museum and Hall of Fame(2002), WWE Hall of Fame(2013), World Wide Wrestling Alliance Hall of Fame(2008), Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame(1996), Italian/American Sports Hall of Fame(1989)( not Wrestling but SPORTS ) and the MSG Walk of Fame.

He retired 20 years ago. Daniel Bryan is still wrestling. He will be in Hall of Fame's also after he's finished entertaining the world.

In 2007 he received the Key to the City in Franklin, PA. In 2013 he received the Key to the City in Jersey City, NJ and also in 2013 in Allegheny County, PA May 17th was declared 'Bruno Sammartino Day'.

January 13th 2012, it was declared in Yakima, WA to be 'Daniel Bryan Day'. So Daniel Bryan had a day named in his honour before Bruno did. Terrific.

If you want to vote for Bryan because you like him, great. But there are no sound arguments for Bryan to go over Sammartino.

There are plenty of sound reasons to vote for Daniel Bryan:

He's more entertaining, he's got a more diverse body of work, he's diverse outside the ring with comedic and serious work, he puts on great matches consistently, he's got a magnificent beard, and I could go on.

I can see any variety of scenarios in which either wrestler goes over the other.

The notion of Sammartino not being able to climb a ladder is absurd and I can only think of a couple of wrestlers this could be applied do and all of them are into extreme super heavyweight territory. Sammartino was a true powerhouse back in his day and would quite possibly be the physically strongest guy Bryan would ever face. Back in '59, Sammartino set the world bench press record of a 565 pound raw bench press that stood for 8 years. This was when powerlifting or generally working out with weights in general was one of those fringe things that only a small minority of people engaged in and Sammartino was vehemently anti-doping. So there's no doubt he'd toss Bryan around like a ragdoll for a while and TLC matches are no disqualification, so Sammartino's strength advantage could be even more dangerous.

Bryan's a far superior athlete overall; he's faster, he's more agile, he's in greater cardiovascular condition and he's one of these guys who may not look tough but genuinely is. Bryan has a lot of experience in various grappling styles along with wrestling based martial arts like Judo and Jujutsu as well as incorporating various kicking based martial arts. We sometimes look at a wrestling match and base our decisions on who we believe would win in an actual fight, even though it's not really applicable, and I've little doubt that Bryan could very much, at the very least, hold his own against Sammartino in such a setting.

I can see siding with Sammartino because he's one of THE genuine top guys in WWE history in terms of star power and dominance of the main event scene. I can also see siding with Bryan because of his abilities, popularity and sheer enjoyment of his matches. For me personally, I'm going with Bryan because Sammartino just flat bores me to tears. Take away his freakish strength and he has nothing really left. We've seen Bryan in David vs. Goliath scenarios against opponents much stronger than he is and more often than not, he comes out on top and I think that'd be the case here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back