TNA Region, Brasilia Subregion, First Round: (15) Giant Baba vs. (18) Sid

Discussion in 'TNA Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 30, 2014.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. Giant Baba

2. Sid

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Nilson Nelson Gymnasium in Brasilia, Brazil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#15. Giant Baba

Vs.

[​IMG]

#18. Sid

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Sid was a dependable champion. I don't mean in his temperament as a person, more that he had an air of credibility that was easily viewable. It was never ridiculous that he was the champion. However, Giant Baba is an icon, and given that this match has been taken out of North America, one must assume that Baba will almost certainly win.

3. Bythedockofthebay

Bythedockofthebay Getting Noticed By Management

Yeah Baba is an international ICON beating Jack Brisco, and Harley Race for the NWA world title. And even though his reigns where short it just shows you how big a deal he was. Not to mention a legendary Japanese career, and imo you give him a ticket to the second round.

Winner- Giant Baba with running neckbreaker to sid and a 1.2.3

4. Papa Pillman

Papa Pillman I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan

First, the non North American setting here is a major detriment to Sid.

Second, I'd go as far as to say that many American promotions tried to take advantage of Sid's size and book him to be the kind of big deal, credible champ, and intimidating presence that Baba actually was. It never really worked out though, as Sid was just too limited.

Baba, the legit legend, should go over the prototype limited, over-booked, and over valued, bland and generic American big man.

5. The Brain

The Brain King Of The Ring

I've got to go with Baba here. Sid was an excellent threat to the top guy in any promotion he worked for at any given time. Baba was that top guy and even though Sid was a major threat I don't see him getting a win over a top guy in a setting like this.

6. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

Sid was an insta-threat in any promotion he was in due to his size and mega-buff physique, his distinct curly blonde locks and his off-the-rails talking ability. I don't see that as a bad thing though.

Physically and shape-wise, he's kind of the opposite to Baba although they are almost exactly the same height. I've heard Sid described as being a gym guy, so although he was around in those 'medicinal' days, the feeling is that he wasn't a user. So he's legitimately very strong. 'Cept his bones, but that's another story for another day.

Sid never did have his own company to book himself into the spot where he'd be one of the most over guys though. Promoters just put him in that spot because he was obviously legit. very threatening and reliable in a certain sense. He flip-flopped as much as any guy during the 90s and yet despite that, both companies would consistently book him as a top guy with no ill-will because it was 'best for business'. These were all events he was in or designed to be in for example:

Starrcade '90
    Wrestlemania 8
    Starrcade '93 (where he was apparently designed to beat Vader for the title until that whole scissors business went down)
    Wrestlemania 11 (as a valet)
    Wrestlemania 13 (where he lost to The Undertaker (shocker) partly due to Bret Hart's interference
    Starrcade 2000

And in fact, he was never booked weak after becoming a main eventer until he broke his leg and limped off into the sunset.

I'll be the first to admit that Sid wasn't great... at anything... except perhaps looking good. But I've seen plenty of Baba's work and I was no more impressed. I think this is one of the deals where being a big fish in a small pond is better than being a big fish in a big pond. Because quality-wise, I'd take Sid any day. Baba also has the historic advantage. There's was nothing like things we had in the 90s in the 70s. If you stuck The Big Show in the ring against Sammartino in the shootin' 60s, he shits himself. If you put Brock Lesnar in the ring against the ring from Harley Race in the 70s, it's Brock smash time If you put a man of Sid stature against the ring from Baba in his era, I don't know easy it is for them to book him losing.

Baba was a big deal in his own time, but nowadays we're spoilt for choice. If they could've picked between the two back them they'd pick Sid. And I think everybody would. Pick Sid, because he may not have outshone Giant Baba, but he would've beaten him.

7. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Sid Vicious was all look. Couldn't talk, botched moves pretty frequently and those botches put others in danger. Brian Pillman for example.

Giant Baba is a legend in wrestling who helped pioneer modern day wrestling in Japan as a solid promoter and match maker. He could draw a huge house, too. Something Sid couldn't do unless he was partnered with Hogan or someone of credibility.

Vote Baba.

8. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Giant Baba is one of the greatest wrestling promoters ever but he was mediocre at best as a wrestler.

Sid is one of the most memorable, charismatic, and entertaining big men of all time. He was simply a blast to watch. Even at his worst, it's still an enjoyable experience watching him perform. That's a rarity.

And let's be honest, kayfabe wise... not many guys are beating a prime Sid. Dude was a fucking monster. Giant Baba booked himself to win a lot of matches but everyone knows that was bullshit. Sid was booked to win because A) he was over as fuck, and B) people could actually believe he could kick ass. And he would kick Baba's ass, easily, especially in a company like TNA.

9. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Sid's main event championship match against Taker undersold at Mania 13. Marking one of the instances Mania as a brand did not sell. And that's also partially to do with the fact that both Sid and Taker are overrated as fuck.

While it's true that Baba often did book himself to win, that's because he only let those considered to be "the best" or elite beat him. Sid wasn't the best nor was he elite. Nowhere close.

Baba was considered second to only Inoki for a long time. A true legend in his country and across the world. People everywhere knew who he was. Sid's legacy lives on in Botchamania.

This shouldn't be rocket science folks. Vote Baba.

10. HBsam31

HBsam31 Totally Reeking of Awesomeness

I was never a fan of Sid and was always pretty overrated to me. It was already said that he was pretty much all look. I saw a poster mention that only the elite got to beat Baba, and for that reason I vote him into the second round. Sid was not elite by any means.

11. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Honestly I am just going to vote this one by way of throwing logic out the window. I just like Sid better. He may have been shit on the mic, but his crazy facial expressions always sold the character. I just have more memories that stick out from watching of Sid than I do of Baba. I do appreciate his status, but he just never entertained me. Plus Sid had a crazy mullet.

Vote for the Ruler of the World. Vote Sid.

12. deem

deem Getting Noticed By Management

I love Puro and hate Giant Baba. He's so gangly, I find him very uncomfortable to watch. I'll look at his record vs legit north american competition, which Sid should definitely fit in. Multi-time champion, ever present main event threat, tested and honoured against top competition. It's worth noting that I'm only including matches 1972-1984 here, so this is definitely prime Baba.

Giant Baba in Japan vs credible north Americans

Vs Brody; 3 draws
    Vs Hansen; 2 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses
    Vs Race; 8 wins; 2 draws, 2 losses
    Vs Bobo Brazil; 4 wins, 2 draws
    Vs Terry Funk; 2 wins 1 draw
    Vs Bockwinkel; 1 win 3 draws
    Vs Ted Dibiase; 1 win
    Vs Pat O'Connor; 2 wins 2 losses
    Vs The Sheik; 3 wins 1 loss

total in Japan; 17 wins, 13 draws, 8 losses
    Giant Baba in US against credible north Americans

Vs Brody; 1 draw
    Vs Race; 1 win, 1 draw
    Vs Terry Funk; 1 draw
    Vs Bockwinkel; 1 win
    Vs The Sheik; 1 draw

2 wins, 4 draws

Tbh, I didn't expect Baba's prime to be that dominant. On that list I'd argue Race is by far and away the best kayfabe, with Sid being comparable to the rest. This being a neutral ground doesn't really come into it when Baba seems equally adept in Japan or out, but I've convinced myself he would win here. Maybe him Vs Sting is more competitive than I thought too.. Baba's stats look a HELL of a lot better when you only look at his time as an Ace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.