TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion, FirstRound:(6)Bob Backlund vs.(27)Abdullah the Butcher

Discussion in 'TNA Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 30, 2014.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. Bob Backlund

2. Abdullah the Butcher

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6. Bob Backlund

Vs.

[​IMG]

#27. Abdullah the Butcher

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Abdullah was a journeyman who made himself stand out, and that's admirable. Backlund was the last of the credible world champions that WWE ever had before they became about the showboating. Even on that evidence he should probably advance, but given his return in the 90s where he further proved his adaptability by winning the title in a much changed landscape, you have to give it to Bob.

3. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Under hardcore rules, I'd probably go with Abdullah. It was his bread and butter and the fact that he was hardcore before there was such a term in wrestling is his biggest legacy. In a traditional one on one match, I'm going with Backlund. Superior conditioning, technical ability and a total of 6.5 years as WWF Champion.

Abbie was a major star in Carlos Colon's WWC, which is based in Puerto Rico, so Abbie has more of a home field advantage in that sense. Obviously all of Abbie's matches weren't hardcore, it's what he's known for. As I said, it's what ultimately defines his legacy. As a result, it's just too hard to picture him doing well in a traditional environment against someone like Bob Backlund when so much of what made him a force is pretty useless. Abbie either gets pinned or gets medieval on Backlund's ass to lose via disqualification.

4. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Those matches that made Abdullah so famous in this very arena, were rarely actually slated as "hardcore" matches. He was just that crazy. And often times, he would attack before the bell rang. Leaving them a bloody heap for him to just beat on.

5. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

Polar opposites in the regard that Abdullah The Butcher is a renound utter dick whereas Backlund was so concerned about his image and promoting a positive role model to children that he wouldn't turn heel when they wanted him to.

Years later, he would have no such trouble though and he would go on to look every bit the man he was a decade earlier, if not better, when he defeated Bret Hart in a convincing match-up for the world title. His heat and rub was quickly fed to Diesel to get him over, but it takes nothing from the accomplishment that man performed returning to the WWF and demonstrating a whole new side to himself never previously seen. Without Backlund's retunr in '94, I wonder how well he does in these tournaments, and where his name is with the greats. I do know because of it, he's boosted himself way up with his versatility and staying power. His run was one of the stand-out moments in the overwise generally dull 94-95 WWF epoch.

Abdullah was a journeyman, and as a journeyman, didn't have to worry about such things as character evolution and remaining fresh. He certainly didn't worry about his physique. In fact, it was expected that he be massively overweight and became part of his image. As a hardcore wrestler, he also didn't have to worry so much about spots and the story of a match and psychology. Go out and make the other guy bleed. I don't think I could let him progress on good conscience alone, but thankfully he wouldn't win at any rate. He gets a legitimate elite level challenge, no indy scrub, and he's so worn out by all the holds and suplexes that when the Chicken wing crossface is locked in, he doesn't have energy enough to escape. Worked on Bret, and he's stages above The Butcher too.

Because this is what the tournament is for:

[YOUTUBE]b_K0RtUhWvQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1ApvubZN6l0[/YOUTUBE]

One of these men is a wrestler, pick that one. I flucking love Backlund.

[YOUTUBE]t0RXADuONIg[/YOUTUBE]

6. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

Even in Puerto Rico, or wherever Killjoy is from, the only chance Abbie stands in this match is if he stabs Bob with his hepatitis infected fork and then plays the waiting game. Even then, I'm not convinced Abbie will outlive him.

Backlund held the world title for approximately five years before Iron Sheik put him in the camel clutch and made him humble. For most people, that kills you. Not like kills your career, I mean you are literally dead. Backlund came back to the WWF eight years later to win another title from Bret Hart, totally reinventing himself as a crazy man. Shit was cray, literally. Backlund takes this.

7. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Abby will either lose by DQ due to using his fork or boots or high grade arsenic or something - or he'll get beaten clean because despite how nuts he was, he would rather beat the hell out of you than win the match. Hell, he'd take a pinfall just to get you close enough to get his hands on you.

Backlund wins, but will need vaccinations afterward. :/

8. HBsam31

HBsam31 Totally Reeking of Awesomeness

I could see a DQ loss for Abdullah as he is known for his brutality and hardcore matches. This one could get out of hand very fast. If it stays within the rules then Backlund still wins. He was champion for 5 years, and it would be pretty hard for The Butcher to beat him in a traditional match.

9. The Brain

The Brain King Of The Ring

I'm tempted to give this one to Abby just based on the arena. I really thought about it but I can't do it. Not over Backlund. Backlund was a technically sound world champion for about six years. Abby has been wrestling since forever and I don't think he's ever won a world title. The styles don't match up very well here and if Abby wasn't up against someone as talented as Backlund I'd give him the home field advantage but I can't vote him past Backlund here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.