TNA Match 7: Team Rated RKO vs. The West Texas Rednecks

RatedRKO vs. Rednecks

• Rated RKO

• Rednecks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
All matches take place inside of the six sided ring.

Rated RKO are the team of Edge and Randy Orton from 2006-2007.

The West Texas Red Necks are Curt Hennig and Barry Windham from 1999.

Both these two teams have a wealth of talent there is n doubt about that, Windham and Hennig are straight up legends, yet I'm going with Team RKO, call me a mark but this tag team launched Edge into the main event status, a team that cemented Randy Ortons name as a big player. The two were robbed at Survivor Series by Team DX but I truly do think that Rated RKO are better than Edge and Christian and even Orton and Batista as a team in Evloution. I'd sooner see these two together again than a Michaels/ Triple H reunion and I think they would go over here, but it would be close.

In another great matchup, Rated RKO. All former world champions, these guys will put on a classic. Edge and Orton are both at least 6'4, but Windham is even bigger. he also trumps both in strength. In six words you might never hear again, Hennig is the weak link here. At this time he was injured and suffering from alcoholism badly. Edge and Orton were much younger, and Orton has one thing that the other three don't: The RKO. Anytime, anywhere, he can hit that and its over. On that note, its RKO.

I will also vote for Rated RKO, they are much more in their prime than what Hennig and Windham was at that time. The six-sided ring also provides more angles for Edge to hit the spear and like Klunder said, the RKO is deadly no matter where you are at.

Rated-RKO is the modern-day Power Trip. Two of WWE's best workers teaming up to create one deadly, bad-ass team. Best team to hold the World Tag Team Championships in years. You make the call.

The Rednecks were fun and all as far as I can remember (didn't they do that "Rap is Crap" song?) but I just don't think they could beat Orton & Edge. Sure, this being a TNA match, we're gonna get an overbooked finish leading to Rated-RKO screwing Mr. Perfect & Windham.

RKO were only put together so D-X could beat a convincing team. Pointless.

Whilst pointless you may argue, they were stil a convining team. The two have a degree of exceptional talent of a much diffren't nature to that of Hennig and Windham. I would give them the nod for sure, Rated RKO are one of those manufactured tag teams who had they been given a legitimate big run together could have acheived alot more than they did.

EDIT: This is the type of match Orton would have thrived in!

I still think that is up for debate. You claim that Rated RKO were pointless cannon fodder for DX but The West Texas Redknecks were not much more than fodder for the Face teams in my opinion. At least Rated RKO won a title.

A worthless title. One they didn't defend. A prop to make it look more impressive when D-X beat them.

You can go on about how shit WCW was at the time. But the tag division had more than 3 teams.

A worthless title. One they didn't defend. A prop to make it look more impressive when D-X beat them.

You can go on about how shit WCW was at the time. But the tag division had more than 3 teams.

So effectively your saying that they were built up to be the second best tag team in WWE at the time, something I have to agree with. But even then, if the West Texas Redknecks had been in the WWE at the same time they would have just been a team for Rated RKO to go over to make them look like the legitimate biggest threat to Team DX.

So effectively your saying that they were built up to be the second best tag team in WWE at the time, something I have to agree with.

Not a tag team as such. Two wrestlers teaming. WTR were an actual tag team. Rated RKO were never goingt o be a long term thing.

But even then, if the West Texas Redknecks had been in the WWE at the same time they would have just been a team for Rated RKO to go over to make them look like the legitimate biggest threat to Team DX.

True. But if Orton & Edge had been in WCW at that time they'd probably be losing to Hogan & Nash in squash matches.

Also Henning is dead so he couldn't possibly have been one of those wrestlers that they could possibly have fed to Rated RKO. But Edge & Orton could have been. (Pointless I know, but still)

Not a tag team as such. Two wrestlers teaming. WTR were an actual tag team. Rated RKO were never goingt o be a long term thing.

They where on the same page and working together, unlike for example Cena and Batista. They were enough of a tag team to warrant there own name. It shouldn't matter if they where two wrestlers teaming, as a team they would go over West Texas Redknecks.The Rock and Sock Connection, Benoit and Jericho, The Two Man Powertrip, Owen Hart and Yokozuna. Two wrestlers teaming does not mean that that team is good, bad or otherwise.

True. But if Orton & Edge had been in WCW at that time they'd probably be losing to Hogan & Nash in squash matches.

Also Henning is dead so he couldn't possibly have been one of those wrestlers that they could possibly have fed to Rated RKO. But Edge & Orton could have been. (Pointless I know, but still)

I know, but the match isn't Orton and Edge vs. Hogan and Nash.

I know Hennig is dead, I was trying to talk as if it was possible to take a 1999 team and put them into 2006. I probably didn't clarify that very well and I hope I've explained it better here.

They where on the same page and working together, unlike for example Cena and Batista.

They didn't work on the same page for long.

They were enough of a tag team to warrant there own name.

A punny name. Thought up in several minutes.

It shouldn't matter if they where two wrestlers teaming, as a team they would go over West Texas Redknecks.

How so? This is Curt Henning & Barry Windham after all. It's not like It's Kendall Windham & Bobby Duncham Jr..

The Rock and Sock Connection, Benoit and Jericho, The Two Man Powertrip, Owen Hart and Yokozuna. Two wrestlers teaming does not mean that that team is good, bad or otherwise.

True.

I know Hennig is dead, I was trying to talk as if it was possible to take a 1999 team and put them into 2006. I probably didn't clarify that very well and I hope I've explained it better here.

I knew what you were getting at. I was doing the opposite. A team from 2006 goint to 1999.

They didn't work on the same page for long..
True but they where on the same page, they won't be remembered for like arguing and bickering and costing each other the mathup.

A punny name. Thought up in several minutes. .
A name none the less... If the tournament was who had the less punny name I would graciously give The West Texas Redknecks the nod.

How so? This is Curt Henning & Barry Windham after all. It's not like It's Kendall Windham & Bobby Duncham Jr.
And I have never once taken away from the credebility of legendary status of either competitor. The West Texas Redknecks was hardly the pinnacle of there careers though. There status would be the kind of thing Orton and Edge thrived upon at that stage in there careers. It would have been a "team to beat to make it look like they were beating the big boys" (another quote from you)

I knew what you were getting at. I was doing the opposite. A team from 2006 goint to 1999.
In either time period I would still give the nod to Orton and Edge. Edge is a notorious tag team wrestler and Orton understands the buisness and puts on great matches. He still has a long way to go and when he is done he may have an equally brilliant career to look back on like Windham and Hennig, but who knows, this isn't about the future or the past, it is about one team from one time period and one team from another, I give Rated RKO the nod.

True but they where on the same page, they won't be remembered for like arguing and bickering and costing each other the mathup.

They're sill not as much of a cohesive unit.

A name none the less... If the tournament was who had the less punny name I would graciously give The West Texas Redknecks the nod.

Some thought went into the WTR name. You or I could have come up with Rated RKO.

And I have never once taken away from the credebility of legendary status of either competitor. The West Texas Redknecks was hardly the pinnacle of there careers though.

But have Edge & Orton improved since then though? You could possibly say yes, or you could say that they just get better pushes now.

Rated RKO is hardly the pinnacle of their career either.

Edge is a notorious tag team wrestler

With Christian, not Orton.

and Orton understands the buisness and puts on great matches.

He puts on boring matches.

Why does he understand the buisness? Because he's a next generation wrestler? I'm saying nothing, but hinting strongly.

They're sill not as much of a cohesive unit

They where enough of a cohesive unit to win a title, even if it was to make them look good enough to fight DX, it is still more than The West Texas Redknecks acheived.

Some thought went into the WTR name. You or I could have come up with Rated RKO..
Names are still not important, and you are grossly over-rating me here, I would have come up with a much worse name than Rated RKO. Even if I had though Edge and Orton would STILL beat The West Texas Redknecks.

But have Edge & Orton improved since then though? You could possibly say yes, or you could say that they just get better pushes now.

Rated RKO is hardly the pinnacle of their career either.

They are getting getter pushes I would argue. They needed the time they spent as a tag team, all be it short, to cement themselves in the main even though. Whilst not the pinnacle of there career, or even close, it was the launch pad for them to make the step. But all this isn't important.

With Christian, not Orton.
I believe Orton is a better partner than Christian, increase the quality of the partner and things SHOULD only improve, this isn't always true but in this case I would argue it is. With Christian, Edge never amounted to anything above the mid-card. When he teamed with Orton he already had his foot in the door of the main event, effectively Rated RKO helped him kick that door open and he has remained there ever since.

He puts on boring matches.

Why does he understand the buisness? Because he's a next generation wrestler? I'm saying nothing, but hinting strongly.

He puts on solid matches though. Partly and also because by this stage, although still young, Orton had been around in the company enough to earn himself a spot in the main event, whether this was fast tracked by his surname I don't know, but Orton has talent and I would say if he had wanted to be a wrestler he was always going to get there regardless of his surname.

They where enough of a cohesive unit to win a title, even if it was to make them look good enough to fight DX, it is still more than The West Texas Redknecks acheived.

They won the titles off Ric Flair & Roddy Piper. In the days when Flair lost to EVERYBODY.

The Rednecks won a whole tournament to get their tag titles, and had a nice feud with Benoit & Malenko along the way.

They are getting getter pushes I would argue. They needed the time they spent as a tag team, all be it short, to cement themselves in the main even though.

Not at all. They were facing D-X after all. It wouldn't have done anything for them.

Whilst not the pinnacle of there career, or even close, it was the launch pad for them to make the step. But all this isn't important.

It was a step down for two former world champions.

I believe Orton is a better partner than Christian, increase the quality of the partner and things SHOULD only improve, this isn't always true but in this case I would argue it is.

Depends. Orton is more successful as a singles wrestler. But Christian is a more successful tag wrestler.

With Christian, Edge never amounted to anything above the mid-card.

Why would they at a time when there was Foley, Triple H, Austin, Taker, The Rock & others.

When he teamed with Orton he already had his foot in the door of the main event, effectively Rated RKO helped him kick that door open and he has remained there ever since.

You go from having the feud of the year with cean, to having a mid card feud with D-X. Hardly worth talking about. If HHH hadn't injured himself it would have gone very differently for him.

Just look were both of them were on the Mania card that year. Making up the numbers in a worthless MITB match. Edge only got the Smackdoonw belt in the summer because HBK didn't want to move to Smackdown.

He puts on solid matches though. Partly and also because by this stage, although still young, Orton had been around in the company enough to earn himself a spot in the main event, whether this was fast tracked by his surname I don't know, but Orton has talent and I would say if he had wanted to be a wrestler he was always going to get there regardless of his surname.

I doubt it. Orton in 2002 was a nobody. Without his name he wouldn't have got the oppertunity. While he might have fallen into wrestling, I doubt he'd be where he is today.

They won the titles off Ric Flair & Roddy Piper. In the days when Flair lost to EVERYBODY.

The Rednecks won a whole tournament to get their tag titles, and had a nice feud with Benoit & Malenko along the way..

Flair and Piper have more weight to them in terms of name value than Hennig and Windham, regardless of Flairs status or what not beating Flair and Piper is still a big win.

It was a step down for two former world champions.
I see it as the begining of them rebuilding themselves up to the main event again.

Depends. Orton is more successful as a singles wrestler. But Christian is a more successful tag wrestler..
But you can still see where I'm coming from?

Why would they at a time when there was Foley, Triple H, Austin, Taker, The Rock & others..
Even so, the point still stands.

You go from having the feud of the year with cean, to having a mid card feud with D-X. Hardly worth talking about. If HHH hadn't injured himself it would have gone very differently for him.

Just look were both of them were on the Mania card that year. Making up the numbers in a worthless MITB match. Edge only got the Smackdoonw belt in the summer because HBK didn't want to move to Smackdown.
Triple H is the type of wrestler who knows that he is not as good as the likes of Rock, Austin, Cena... he holds down anyone with a bit of talent who might look better than him - thus, I can't argue with this point but I don't think it should take anything away from Edge or Orton as wrestlers.

Either could have been placed on the card somewhere else, they wasn't but thats just how things went, the show wouldn't have been any diffrent with them somewhere else on the card.

I doubt it. Orton in 2002 was a nobody. Without his name he wouldn't have got the oppertunity. While he might have fallen into wrestling, I doubt he'd be where he is today.

Lots of wrestlers start out as nobodys...

Flair and Piper have more weight to them in terms of name value than Hennig and Windham, regardless of Flairs status or what not beating Flair and Piper is still a big win.

In their prime yes. But Piper & Flair were wasted up at the time they won the titles.

I see it as the begining of them rebuilding themselves up to the main event again.

Hogan & Cena didn't do anything to Orton & Edge where they'd have to be built up again. They lost nothing from those feuds.

Even so, the point still stands.

Not so. Orton would have been less of a somebody if he was around at that time. Christian was a mid carder, but a super over mid carder at that.

Triple H is the type of wrestler who knows that he is not as good as the likes of Rock, Austin, Cena... he holds down anyone with a bit of talent who might look better than him - thus, I can't argue with this point but I don't think it should take anything away from Edge or Orton as wrestlers.

It shouldn't. But it also shouldn't take away the point that in a promotion with Hogan, Savage, Nash, Sting, Goldberg and others, the WTR were still top of the tag team pile in 1999.

A promotion with a tag division > A promotion with just tag belts.

Either could have been placed on the card somewhere else, they wasn't but thats just how things went, the show wouldn't have been any diffrent with them somewhere else on the card.

Well it would. Because it would have been a different match. You'd think that if WWE wanted to build them up again they would have got them in an important match.

Lots of wrestlers start out as nobodys...

But wrestlers with famous fathers usually become famous more quickly.

What if somebody like Charlie Haas had a famous father, you don't think WWE would use it as a reason to push him? It's easier to market a new wrestler if you can use footage of their parents. It's better than a highlight reel of the kid fucking up dropkicks in OVW.

So effectively your saying that they were built up to be the second best tag team in WWE at the time, something I have to agree with.

I've contracted the second best STD.

Edit: Maybe I was wrong about less recent teams having an advantage. Unless you're not two WWE mid/upper carders randomly put together.

Jake you've raised some more than fair and really good points, enough to convince me that this match would be closer than perhaps I was thinking, however, I'd still give the match to Orton and Edge. Regardless of having a tag team division to fight in, if the West Texas Redknecks had been in the WWE at the time of DX vs. Rated RKO they would have served the same purpose as Flair and Roddy Piper. However, I couldn't predict what would happen the other way round if Rated RKO would have been in WCW at the period where West Texas Redknecks won the tag tournament. In a neutral ring, a 6 sided one at that (which I couldn't see being a difference maker) I could see a good long match, even if you think West Texas Redknecks will win, I'd be surpised if you didn't think Rated RKO would put up a good match regardless of how they came together and how long they served as a team.

I've contracted the second best STD.

That's awful, and what an untimely place to admit it!

The Pol would suggest that RKO were alot more popular, doesn't neccisaily mean the match wouldn't be close right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back