TNA Loses UK TV Deal

TNA's demise isn't even funny anymore. It's more sad than anything. How anybody can be that bad at business is beyond me.

It really isn't. At this point it's seemingly only alive anymore because Dixie is so stubborn. Just let it end already because Aroluxe isn't going to be willing to fund a show that isn't getting jack in foreign revenue (assuming Sony Six bails from the lack of touring India).

TNA's demise isn't even funny anymore. It's more sad than anything. How anybody can be that bad at business is beyond me.
This really isn't an unusual story of business failure, TBH. They took out loans to cover their operating expenses in the hopes of generating better revenue in the future, using their tangible assets as collateral. They had to take out loans or else the business fails; with the loans, there's the chance that things could work out. Dixie Carter's personal assets are largely protected, unless her and every financial advisor around her and her family are literally ******ed, so the creditors fight over what they can get a hold of, and the worst thing that happens is a bunch of other people get put out of work.

Of course this follows from the idea that Dixie Carter's goal for TNA was to maintain operation of it. I long ago gave up thinking that Dixie Carter's primary goal with TNA was to generate a profit for ownership, because the smart thing to do would have been to sell the company two or three years ago when they still had a strong potential upside.

As far as the intelligence of some of the creative decisions TNA has made over the years and how that reflected on their business, that's another story.

Kinda makes you thankful WCW died overnight, huh?

This really isn't an unusual story of business failure, TBH. They took out loans to cover their operating expenses in the hopes of generating better revenue in the future, using their tangible assets as collateral. They had to take out loans or else the business fails; with the loans, there's the chance that things could work out. Dixie Carter's personal assets are largely protected, unless her and every financial advisor around her and her family are literally ******ed, so the creditors fight over what they can get a hold of, and the worst thing that happens is a bunch of other people get put out of work.

Of course this follows from the idea that Dixie Carter's goal for TNA was to maintain operation of it. I long ago gave up thinking that Dixie Carter's primary goal with TNA was to generate a profit for ownership, because the smart thing to do would have been to sell the company two or three years ago when they still had a strong potential upside.

As far as the intelligence of some of the creative decisions TNA has made over the years and how that reflected on their business, that's another story.

Kinda makes you thankful WCW died overnight, huh?

The reason this is such bad business is that most failing businesses would see the writing on the wall and just call it quits before it gets this ugly. There is no way anybody comes out of this looking any kind of smart at this point.

The reason this is such bad business is that most failing businesses would see the writing on the wall and just call it quits before it gets this ugly. There is no way anybody comes out of this looking any kind of smart at this point.

But that assumes that Dixie Carter's goal in owning TNA was to maximize her investment, and if that was the case, she should have sold two or three years ago. She wants to be in charge of her business; and while her actions definitely appear insane from the perspective of maximizing investment, they make sense if continued ownership is her goal.

But that assumes that Dixie Carter's goal in owning TNA was to maximize her investment, and if that was the case, she should have sold two or three years ago. She wants to be in charge of her business; and while her actions definitely appear insane from the perspective of maximizing investment, they make sense if continued ownership is her goal.

There is no continued ownership if the product no longer exists.

If Dixie's goals were to lose money, not properly pay her employees and look like a total buffoon, she is America's greatest 21st century success story.

There is no continued ownership if the product no longer exists.
You're still thinking in terms of Dixie Carter selling the company at a more financially appropriate time.

Taking out loans to cover the cost of operating expenses in hopes of turning a future profit is, well, what our banking industry is largely built on. This is not an abnormal case of business failure; you want a bizarre case, look at WCW buying airline tickets for employees they didn't know they had. You don't always take the sure thing. If her goal was continued ownership or bust, taking out loans against the assets of the company is the sound decision. Maybe it'll work. In this case, it didn't, and when we finally get some resolution to TNA's current situation we can analyze the creative decisions that led them to this point.

If you're thinking about it from the perspective of always doing what's best for TNA, of course it won't make sense. Dixie Carter took the best path available given her (assumed) goals; it's in the execution of that plan where we can call sense into question.

You're still thinking in terms of Dixie Carter selling the company at a more financially appropriate time.

Taking out loans to cover the cost of operating expenses in hopes of turning a future profit is, well, what our banking industry is largely built on. This is not an abnormal case of business failure; you want a bizarre case, look at WCW buying airline tickets for employees they didn't know they had. You don't always take the sure thing. If her goal was continued ownership or bust, taking out loans against the assets of the company is the sound decision. Maybe it'll work. In this case, it didn't, and when we finally get some resolution to TNA's current situation we can analyze the creative decisions that led them to this point.

If you're thinking about it from the perspective of always doing what's best for TNA, of course it won't make sense. Dixie Carter took the best path available given her (assumed) goals; it's in the execution of that plan where we can call sense into question.

I'm not thinking in terms of selling the company, because at this point nobody is going to want that toxic waste dump of a company. The tape library, sure, but not the company itself. It has no real value. What I'm saying is to your point is that even if Dixie's goal isn't actual success but continued ownership, she's still going to fail at it because the company itself is going to fail.

I'm not thinking in terms of selling the company, because at this point nobody is going to want that toxic waste dump of a company. The tape library, sure, but not the company itself. It has no real value. What I'm saying is to your point is that even if Dixie's goal isn't actual success but continued ownership, she's still going to fail at it because the company itself is going to fail.
And hindsight is 20/20. But we aren't talking about whether a business is going to fail or not:
BaconBits said:
How anybody can be that bad at business is beyond me.
So it's 2014, and you're Dixie Carter. You've ruled out selling the company- which is the sound financial decision, but Carter's interests in TNA are not wholly financial. You can either a) not take out loans to cover your expenses, causing you to shut down immediately, or b) take out loans to cover operating expenses, hoping that in the interim you're able to turn your business around.

A shuts down your company 100% of the time. Option B shuts down your company some percentage less than that. This is the story of most businesses that go bankrupt. This is not a story of shocking financial stupidity, at least beyond investing in professional wrestling to begin with.

I'll be the first in line to criticize some of the horrible creative decisions TNA has made, like paying a guy millions of dollars to come to an audience of over a million people and tell them everything they've come to love was going to change and they'd better like it. If I was Dixie Carter's accounting firm, I'd be tearing my hair out by the roots over this. But as far as Dixie Carter doing what is in Dixie Carter's interests, she took the most logical set of options available with the best probability of meeting her win condition.

TNA needs to be taken out behind the wood shed and put out of everyone's misery already.

This is just sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back