• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Timeframe with the Strongest Roster (WWF)

HBKperfect23

Championship Contender
The title of the thread pretty much says it all. In your opinion when was the WWF at its strongest in regards to talent on the roster?...And why?

A few of my favorites include:

1988- Vince has pretty much acquired all the top talent from the territories. Savage became a main eventer and the tag scene was the strongest it's ever been. Warrior debuted and was a strong mid carder.

92: all the main eventers from 88 are still there. WWf acquires Flair/Luger/Sid (late 91). The mid card was stacked with michaels/Hart coming up. Taker enters the main event scene.

97: the rise of Austin, foley, hunter, and rock. Michaels/Hart are in their primes. Kane debuts.

2001: wwf is now the only viable place to work in America. All WCW/ECW talent head to WWF. The only ones weren't aquired were the ones being paid to do nothing due to their time warner/aol deals.

Overall I'll have to go with 1992 as the strongest roster ever for the reasons listed above.

I would say the roster was it's strongest around late 87 - mid 88.

Hogan
Andre
Savage
Steamboat
Piper
Adonis
Valentine
Orton
Muraco
Shiek
Duggan
JYD
Race
Bulldogs
Harts
Killer Bees
Santana
Martel
Roberts
Honky
Bam Bam
Bundy
Gang
Hillbilly
Animal Steele
Bad News
Rude
Warrior

Just HOFers all over the roster, all with main event experience somewhere.

Not to mention the managers Heenan, Hart, Moulah, Johnny V, Fuji, Slick, Elizabeth.

The commentators Monsoon, Ventura, McMahon, Lordship, Mooney, Okerland.

Just crazy stacked.

I do think that 2005 may also be recognized as one of the more stacked years.

Cena
Batista
HHH
Edge
Benoit
Kane
Big Show
Orton
Taker
HBK
Eddie
Mysterio
JBL
Christian
Trish
Lita
Jericho
Booker T
RVD
Dudleys (granted on their way out)

Early 1992 was a very strong roster with big big names.... a who's who of wrestling at the time.... yet within a year by WM9 it had been decimated... but around the time of the 1992 Rumble there was:

Hogan & Flair (the ying and yang of pro wrestling)
Future WWE legends in Bret Hart, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels
Randy Savage, Roddy Piper who were already legends
Future/former WWE champs in Iron Sheik, Sgt Slaughter, Sid.
Legion of Doom- the most notable tag team of all time.

Classic wrestlers in Ted Dibiase, Curt Hening, Davey Boy Smith, Owen Hart, Jake Roberts, Rick Martel, Tito Santana, Jimmy Snuka, Kerry Von Erich, Greg Valentine, Mike Rotundo, Marty Jannety

I always though Earthquake was one of the better big men... and even the Mountie had comedy value!

Then supporting non-wrestler talent- there was Bobby Heenan, Gorilla Monsoon, Vince (of course) Jimmy Hart, Sherri.

Early 1992 was a very strong roster with big big names.... a who's who of wrestling at the time.... yet within a year by WM9 it had been decimated... but around the time of the 1992 Rumble there was:

Hogan & Flair (the ying and yang of pro wrestling)
Future WWE legends in Bret Hart, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels
Randy Savage, Roddy Piper who were already legends
Future/former WWE champs in Iron Sheik, Sgt Slaughter, Sid.
Legion of Doom- the most notable tag team of all time.

Classic wrestlers in Ted Dibiase, Curt Hening, Davey Boy Smith, Owen Hart, Jake Roberts, Rick Martel, Tito Santana, Jimmy Snuka, Kerry Von Erich, Greg Valentine, Mike Rotundo, Marty Jannety

I always though Earthquake was one of the better big men... and even the Mountie had comedy value!

Then supporting non-wrestler talent- there was Bobby Heenan, Gorilla Monsoon, Vince (of course) Jimmy Hart, Sherri.

Hmmmm, while I agree the 1992 roster was very strong indeed if we compare it to today's roster there isn't a lot of difference in terms of quality.

Face of the company
Hulk Hogan vs John Cena

Yes, Hogan is the biggest name ever but in 1992 Hogan was spent as a top face in the company and was on his way out. Cena still has a lot to offer WWE and when his career is over who knows where he will be ranked.

Special Attractions
Nobody vs The Rock, Brock Lesnar, Sting

3 gentlemen above who appear from time to time. I don't remember the 1992 roster having these special attractions....

Legends
Ric Flair vs Triple H
Macho Man vs Daniel Bryan
Roddy Piper vs Randy Orton
Sgt Slaughter vs Big Show
Iron Sheik vs Kane

In terms of talent, is there really a huge difference here? I would say with everything Triple H has achieved in the business he is almost on an equal footing to Ric Flair and his career isn't even over. Neither was never 'the man' but they will be respected for what they have done for the business for years to come. Triple H has certainly done more in WWE than Flair ever did.

I also thought Macho Man was a great worker and very popular, but he never achieved what Daniel Bryan did at Wrestlemania 30. Again that one is subjective. Orton has been at the top of the WWE pile for nearly a decade now, Piper was nowhere near the top apart from a short stint at the first Wrestlemania. And today's fans are bored of Show and Kane but they have been excellent for the business the last 15 years (do not forget their attitude era run), just like Slaughter and Sheik were.

Future
Bret Hart - Dean Ambrose
Shawn Michaels - Seth Rollins
Undertaker - Roman Reigns

Hart, Michaels and Taker wins hands down. There is no doubt about that as things stand but we cannot predict the future. Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns will find it almost impossible to surpass these three but they could certainly close the gap, or at least Rollins could. But while they quality is better in 1992, the quantity is certainly better in 2015. Just look at the talent on NXT to see what the future holds for WWE. Much more exciting than 23 years ago...

Supporting Cast

Ted Dibiase vs King Barrett
Curt Hening vs Dolph Ziggler
Davey Boy Smith vs Sheamus
Jake Roberts vs Bray Wyatt
Rick Martel vs The Miz
Tito Santana vs Cesaro
Jimmy Snuka vs Ryback
Warlord vs Rusev
Earthquake vs Mark Henry

We look back at the class of 1992 very fondly I get that, but in terms of achievements and career it simply cannot be compared now. What I will say is characters aside, I think in terms of talent there is an argument for both sides.

Jobbers
Those at the bottom of the pile were simply appalling in 1992. Todays jobbers like Heath Slater, Zack Ryder, etc are much more interesting.

88 and 92 were strong rosters no doubt, but I gotta go with 03. All WCW stars were flooding the WWE scene and we got some great variety throughout every single division.

Top Names

Austin
HHH
The Rock
Goldberg
Angle
Lesnar
Flair
Hogan
Steiner
Taker
Kane
Show
Jericho
Michaels
Benoit
Guerrero
Booker T

Up-and Comers

Cena
Batista
Orton
RVD
Edge
Matt and Jeff
Benjamin
Mysterio
Christian

Women

Trish
Lita
Victoria
Jazz
Stacy
Torrie
Gail Kim
Molly Holly

Other Notables

Rikishi
A-Train
Rhyno
Regal
Goldust
D-Lo
Ultimo Dragon

Yes, that '87-'88 roster was terrific, just for the sheer number of impact performers. It seems Vince McMahon was pretty much finished decimating the other federations at that point and had taken all the good people for himself. I remember WWE having enough talent on hand to do essentially whatever they wanted.

The competition with WCW in the 90's spurred another era of personnel building. In fighting back Turner/Bischoff's attempt to put them out of business, WWE assembled a roster with some of the best talent I've ever seen.....and more importantly, used them in a manner never before seen in pro wrestling. Because of that, although they didn't have the number of top performers possessed by WCW, they utilized them better.....and we know what happened from there.

Hmmmm, while I agree the 1992 roster was very strong indeed if we compare it to today's roster there isn't a lot of difference in terms of quality.

Face of the company
Hulk Hogan vs John Cena

Yes, Hogan is the biggest name ever but in 1992 Hogan was spent as a top face in the company and was on his way out. Cena still has a lot to offer WWE and when his career is over who knows where he will be ranked.

Special Attractions

3 gentlemen above who appear from time to time. I don't remember the 1992 roster having these special attractions....

Legends
Ric Flair vs Triple H
Iron Sheik vs Kane

In terms of talent, is there really a huge difference here? I would say with everything Triple H has achieved in the business he is almost on an equal footing to Ric Flair and his career isn't even over. Neither was never 'the man' but they will be respected for what they have done for the business for years to come. Triple H has certainly done more in WWE than Flair ever did.

I also thought Macho Man was a great worker and very popular, but he never achieved what Daniel Bryan did at Wrestlemania 30. Again that one is subjective. Orton has been at the top of the WWE pile for nearly a decade now, Piper was nowhere near the top apart from a short stint at the first Wrestlemania. And today's fans are bored of Show and Kane but they have been excellent for the business the last 15 years (do not forget their attitude era run), just like Slaughter and Sheik were.

Future
Bret Hart - Dean Ambrose

Hart, Michaels and Taker wins hands down. There is no doubt about that as things stand but we cannot predict the future. Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns will find it almost impossible to surpass these three but they could certainly close the gap, or at least Rollins could. But while they quality is better in 1992, the quantity is certainly better in 2015. Just look at the talent on NXT to see what the future holds for WWE. Much more exciting than 23 years ago...

Supporting Cast

Rick Martel vs The Miz
Tito Santana vs Cesaro
Jimmy Snuka vs Ryback
Warlord vs Rusev
Earthquake vs Mark Henry

We look back at the class of 1992 very fondly I get that, but in terms of achievements and career it simply cannot be compared now. What I will say is characters aside, I think in terms of talent there is an argument for both sides.

Jobbers
Those at the bottom of the pile were simply appalling in 1992. Todays jobbers like Heath Slater, Zack Ryder, etc are much more interesting.
This is probably the worst non trolling post I have ever seen on here. I'm going to assume that you are young and try to excuse 90% of the absolutely ridiculous things that you just said.

Look at your list again and pick the better wrestler/better legacy of the two. 1992 wins in almost every comparison you just made and its not even close. Of course we are comparing retired wrestlers to current ones and nobody can predict the future but its pretty safe to say that most of those guys wont come close to touching the legacy of their comparisons.

Macho Man I hands down above DB no matter how you try to slice it
Flair is over HHH pretty easily
Hogan over Cena and that wont ever changed
Piper over Orton easily

The entire "future" section is easily won by 1992 roster and id bet my bank that will always be the case.

And the entire "supporting cast" section is also easily won by the 1992 roster with the exception of maybe Rusev and Henry.

The 2003 roster is probably the most stacked when it comes to star names

You have the three biggest names in the history of modern wrestling there with the Rock, Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan. You have legends like Undertaker and HBK and huge names like Goldberg and Triple H too. Just have a look at this list

Hulk Hogan
Steve Austin
The Rock
Bill Goldberg
Shawn Michaels
The Undertaker
Triple H
Brock Lesnar
Ric Flair
Kurt Angle
Edge
Chris Benoit
Eddie Guerrero
Rey Mysterio
Big Show
The Dudleyz
Chris Jericho
Scott Steiner
Booker T
Rob Van Dam
Randy Orton
John Cena
Dave Batista
Trish Stratus
Lita

You also had the three biggest promoters of the modern era in one company too and they were appearing on air.

Paul Heyman
Vince McMahon
Eric Bischoff

Hmmmm, while I agree the 1992 roster was very strong indeed if we compare it to today's roster there isn't a lot of difference in terms of quality. .

I don't think todays roster compares at all.
Todays roster is better than it has been in recent years... but we are comparing all time rosters in this thread.
I just feel that the class of 92 packs in a lot more in terms of star names, entertaining wrestlers and significance.
Considering that there were 2 major wrestling companies at the time that’s an impressive feat…. (As opposed today where WWE could appoint any talent they want- as there are no major alternatives (TNA is nowhere near the size WCW was before anyone raises this)

Hogan, Piper, Savage, Flair, Jake …. I can’t think of one guy on todays roster than comes anywhere near their mic work ability.
Though the comparison may draw closer for in ring workers… 1992 still had Bret, Shawn, Flair, Savage, Owen and Hening!... in their primes I must add!

Face of the company
Hulk Hogan vs John Cena

Yes, Hogan is the biggest name ever but in 1992 Hogan was spent as a top face in the company and was on his way out. Cena still has a lot to offer WWE and when his career is over who knows where he will be ranked. .

You could argue Cena has peaked. At 38... he is the same age Hogan was in early 1992.... and Cena might possibly be being phased out of the main event picture (won't say it has totally happened yet... but I think the WWE are now looking elsewhere for stars).... given his demotion to US titles rather than world titles. Cena might soon be in the position of making new stars rather than ‘being’ the main star.
Hogan was a much much bigger star than Cena ever was or could be.

It was leading up to WM8 that Hogan announced he was leaving… a decision that was not known at the time I am alluding to here (the 92 Rumble).
It was actually only a month after Hogan held the world title.

Special Attractions

3 gentlemen above who appear from time to time. I don't remember the 1992 roster having these special attractions.... .

Does this even matter? Rock shouldn't be considered part of todays roster - he hasn't wrestled in 2 years.
Having a strong mix of stars such as Hogan, Flair, Savage, Taker as permament fixtures on the roster is much more appealing than part timers.

Legends
Ric Flair vs Triple H
Iron Sheik vs Kane

Daniel Bryan is by no means a legend... yet!
Sure he has the potential to be ... but as it stands in 2015... Randy Savage has left a bigger stamp in the wrestling industry. Savage is often considered top 10 of all time! Its not really fair on Bryan to compare him to Savage at this point in his career.

Future
Bret Hart - Dean Ambrose

Hart, Michaels and Taker wins hands down. There is no doubt about that as things stand but we cannot predict the future. Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns will find it almost impossible to surpass these three but they could certainly close the gap, or at least Rollins could. But while they quality is better in 1992, the quantity is certainly better in 2015. Just look at the talent on NXT to see what the future holds for WWE. Much more exciting than 23 years ago... .

The WWE have since swallowed up the wrestling business- they have to focus more on developing their own talent as they
Back in 1992- the AWA hadn’t long folded- and of course there was WCW. At the time, there wasn’t the same dependency on their own developmentals as they focused more on acquiring talent from WCW (and later ECW).
Even that strong roster in 92- Hogan, Shawn, Henning, Martel, Santana, Slaughter came from AWA.
Flair, LOD, Piper, Undertaker, Sid came from WCW/NWA
Bret, Davey, Savage, Jake, Dibiase came from smaller territories that Vince bulldozed through.

The topic of the thread is strongest ever roster… as it was! … not potential roster in 5 years time.

With Bret, Shawn and Taker you have 3 guys who became huge stars- all 3 would make a top 10 list of WWE greatest stars.

Supporting Cast

Rick Martel vs The Miz
Tito Santana vs Cesaro
Jimmy Snuka vs Ryback
Warlord vs Rusev
Earthquake vs Mark Henry

We look back at the class of 1992 very fondly I get that, but in terms of achievements and career it simply cannot be compared now. What I will say is characters aside, I think in terms of talent there is an argument for both sides. .

The midcard in the 90s... Shawn. Bret, Davey, Jake, Ted Dibiase, Owen, Snuka? That is one heck of a strong supporting cast in terms of depth and quality.
Though I find Bray Wyatt entertaining …. He is one of the few of the current era that I would put on the same pedestal as those names from 92.…. Miz is simply irritating, Ryback is a poor mans Goldberg. Mark Henry is way past his prime.

Jobbers

This really doesn't matter. Who watches wrestling primarily to watch the jobbers?

The Year 2000:

Main event:
The Rock
Triple H
The Undertaker
Stone Cold Steve Austin
The Big Show
Kane
Mankind

Midcard:
Kurt Angle
Chris Benoit
Chris Jericho
Eddie Guerrero
Test
X-Pac
Rikishi
Dean Malenko
Perry Saturn
Taz
Raven
Val Venis

Tag Teams:
Edge & Christian
The Hardyz
The Dudley Boyz
The New Age Outlaws
The APA
Too Cool
Kaientai

Divas:
Chyna
Lita
Trish Stratus
Stephanie McMahon
Ivory
Jacqueline
Terri Runnels
Molly Holly

Face of the company
Hulk Hogan vs John Cena

Special Attractions

Legends
Ric Flair vs Triple H
Iron Sheik vs Kane

Future
Bret Hart - Dean Ambrose

Supporting Cast

Rick Martel vs The Miz
Tito Santana vs Cesaro
Jimmy Snuka vs Ryback
Warlord vs Rusev
Earthquake vs Mark Henry

Jobbers

I dont agree with the reasoning in this at all. Hulk Hogan is the biggest and best known wrestler of all time. John Cena does not even come close to comparing. No matter if Cena wrestles for 50 more years, he will never ever ever ever EVER come close to having the impact on wrestling that Hogan did.

Ric Flair vs Triple H. In a word, just NO. Ric Flair was a fantastic entertainer. He was as charismatic as they come and he has done it all. Triple H is a shit wrestler whose really had little to no impact on anyone or the business besides burying much more talented and charismatic wrestlers.

Randy Savage vs Daniel Bryan. These two are nothing alike. Savage is arguably the greatest wrestling entertainer of all time. Bryan is just a great wrestler who is hugely over. Bryan is a LITTLE guy. He is not charismatic. He is not one of the best on the mic. He has absolutely nothing on Savage. Savage was small for a heavyweight but not small by any means. Your opinion that Savage never had a Wrestlemania 30 moment like Bryan is completely ******ed. Perhaps you should go back and rewatch all but two of Savages Wrestlemania matches...His moments at Wrestlemania 4, 7 and 8 are just as huge or better as anything Hogan ever did let alone midget Bryan.

Roddy Piper vs Randy Orton. NOO! I dont even have to explain this one. Randy Orton is one of the boringest wrestling entertainers of all time. Roddy Piper is perhaps the all time best. Your belief that Piper was never anything is just moronic. Next.

Sgt. Slaughter had ONE run with relevancy during the Gulf War. Big Show has had a brilliant 20 year career. You are putting wayyyy too much emphasis on wrestlers of 25 years ago who won titles.

Iron Sheik vs Kane. Again NO. Iron Sheik, like Slaughter, was a transition champion because Vince didnt want a face champion dropping the title to another face. Iron Sheik was of very little relevance. Kane, like Show, has had a great career.

Hitman vs Ambrose. No. Ambrose will never ever be the best there is, was or ever will be.

Michaels vs Rollins. Ha Ha Ha Ha HA! No

Taker vs Reigns. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Ted Dibiase vs Barrett..So far the closest thing to comparable..

Curt Henning vs Ziggler. Just because they have a similar look means squat. Mr. Perfect was one of the best. Ziggler just does not compare.

Bulldog vs Sheamus. They both have European accents..Not comparable.

Jake Roberts vs Bray Wyatt..I think Bray will have a bigger impact but yeah these two are comparable..

Ric Martel vs Miz. Now we are comparing mid card nobodies...

The future at NXT is more exciting than 23 years ago. This is the part where we all fall of our chairs laughing at something SO ridiculous. There is NOTHING that exciting about NXT. Its a show full of personalities we havent had pushed down our throats for 13 years like Orton, Cena, Bautista, Triple H..They are new..but they are not that exciting...

So lets do this again

Hogan vs Rock (although Hogan has had a far better career and impact)..nobody now
Flair vs Bruno...nobody now
Savage vs Austin (entertainment-wise, although Savage was a FAR better entertainer)
Taker vs Thez maybe..Nobody now..maybe some day Lesnar
Piper vs Punk (who is not in WWE)
Hitman vs Cena (Cena still has nothing on Hitman)
Michaels vs Bryan (Bryan is nowhere near the entertainer Michaels is)
Andre vs Big Show (Except Andre was a million times more the draw)
Psycho Sid vs Kane
Jake Roberts vs Orton
Ted Dibiase (if he married Steph) vs Triple H
Papa Shango vs Bray Wyatt

WWE now does not compare at all to WWE 1992. Id argue WWE was at its best in 2002 once Hogan, Hall and Nash joined the WWF and the company changed over to WWE. But the best all time roster was definitely WCW 1998. Whiny WWE fanboys forget to remember that WCW was in its prime the ultimate company with the ultimate roster.

2003 was a great year for WWE as a roster

RAW had guys like HHH, Goldberg, RVD, Kane, Austin, Bischoff, Steiner, Booker T, Nash, Rock, Batista, Orton, Flair, HBK, Jericho

SmackDown had Guerrero, Benoit, Lesnar, Mysterio, Taker, Angle, Edge, Show, Cena

plus the cruiserweights, plus the women were putting on great matches as well

I agree with the OP about the late 80s but I also agree with the 2003 "post-WCW acquisition" roster being near if not equally good. It was baffling the amount of great talent that could draw viewers that WWE had in 2003 (actually, quite frankly, from the time the Radicals joined up to 2003).

I do have to say that I don't think a Macho Man/Daniel Bryan comparison is entirely unfair. Bryan has been huge since his run on Smackdown with AJ and has been an upper midcarder/main eventer since that moment on. Macho Man spent most of his career playing second fiddle to Hogan while Bryan has had to contend with Cena. Macho Man was as well known for his midcard feuds as he was for his main event ones, much like Bryan. Each could make gold out of even the worst angles and wavered between being THE most popular and ONE OF THE most popular on the roster, without ever dropping down very far.

On the other hand, did someone seriously just compare Sgt. Slaughter to the Big Show? I'm at a loss for words with that one.

I do have to say that I don't think a Macho Man/Daniel Bryan comparison is entirely unfair. Bryan has been huge since his run on Smackdown with AJ and has been an upper midcarder/main eventer since that moment on. Macho Man spent most of his career playing second fiddle to Hogan while Bryan has had to contend with Cena. Macho Man was as well known for his midcard feuds as he was for his main event ones, much like Bryan. Each could make gold out of even the worst angles and wavered between being THE most popular and ONE OF THE most popular on the roster, without ever dropping down very far.

You think Bryan is comparable to Savage at this point in his career?
Savage may have been second fiddle to Hogan...but the entire company was built around Hogan for 10 years.

You are right in saying that Savage-Steamboat was a midcard fued... however Savage was such a smash hit as a heel.... he was already being considered for the world title. Macho has outgrown the IC title.
Think of all the guys who failed to live up to Hogan at the box office when Vince was looking for his next huge draw: Shawn, Bret, Luger, Nash....
Savage proved to be a great draw during his 1988-89 world title run.
And those were the days were world titles were not swapped around every continuously.

Savage also had a successful run in WCW - where he was again one of the main event guys for his entire 5 year run.
An all round wrestler: a superb in ring worker, charismatic on the microphone, can sell tickets and had a good look. Savage is one of the few wrestlers I can think of who excels in all areas.
He was equally comfortable playing a beloved babyface or a mega mega heel!

I'm not taking anything away from Bryan- he is definitely flavour of the moment- though comparing to Savage who was at the top of the business for a dozen years or so? Give Bryan another 7or 8 years and then compare them.
Savage is generally accepted as an all time legend- and wouldn't look amiss on any all time top 10 list.
Bryan has a long way to go yet.

The Year 2000:

Main event:
The Rock
Triple H
The Undertaker
Stone Cold Steve Austin
The Big Show
Kane
Mankind

Midcard:
Kurt Angle
Chris Benoit
Chris Jericho
Eddie Guerrero
Test
X-Pac
Rikishi
Dean Malenko
Perry Saturn
Taz
Raven
Val Venis

Tag Teams:
Edge & Christian
The Hardyz
The Dudley Boyz
The New Age Outlaws
The APA
Too Cool
Kaientai

Divas:
Chyna
Lita
Trish Stratus
Stephanie McMahon
Ivory
Jacqueline
Terri Runnels
Molly Holly

I'd go for the year later- 2001.

Most of the roster above was still active (barring the retired Mankind and a few others but the main event scene was stronger than ever with the addition of Booker T and the progression into a top star of Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho. Plus,the return of Ric Flair towards the end of the year.

With Rob Van Dam, Lance Storm and William Regal coming to the WWE and strengthening the mid-card division, Tajiri, Billy Kidman, Sean O'Haire, Diamond Dallas Page, Mike Awesome, Rhyno and plenty others joining the company and seeing The Hardy Boyz and Edge & Christian starting their singles careers- the roster was absolutely stacked with talent.

In my opinion 2000-2002 really does have an unbelievable array of talent. The success of WWE WCW and ECW in the 1990s led to a huge number of top quality wrestlers being produced in all 3 companies leading to an incredibly deep talent pool that WWE was able to cherry pick from at the turn of the century.

I'd go for the year later- 2001.

Most of the roster above was still active (barring the retired Mankind and a few others but the main event scene was stronger than ever with the addition of Booker T and the progression into a top star of Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho. Plus,the return of Ric Flair towards the end of the year.

With Rob Van Dam, Lance Storm and William Regal coming to the WWE and strengthening the mid-card division, Tajiri, Billy Kidman, Sean O'Haire, Diamond Dallas Page, Mike Awesome, Rhyno and plenty others joining the company and seeing The Hardy Boyz and Edge & Christian starting their singles careers- the roster was absolutely stacked with talent.

In my opinion 2000-2002 really does have an unbelievable array of talent. The success of WWE WCW and ECW in the 1990s led to a huge number of top quality wrestlers being produced in all 3 companies leading to an incredibly deep talent pool that WWE was able to cherry pick from at the turn of the century.

I don't entirely disagree.
The midcard certainly benefited in 2001 from the influx of WCW stars after Vince bought them... which ultimately lead to the Invasion angle and Brand split, because the roster was so full of talent.

But I really think 2000 was stronger - mainly because of the main event picture. 2001 main event was anchored by Steve Austin, Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho. But The Rock missed most of the year. Triple H missed most of the year. Chris Benoit missed a lot of time. Mick Foley, who wasn't much of an active competitor in 2000 but was still around as an on-screen personality, wasn't around in 2001.

That's a lot of top end talent missing. Yes, they tried to make up for it with guys like Booker T, Diamond Dallas Page and Rob Van Dam. And lower card guys like Lance Storm, Tajiri, Rhyno, Sean O'Haire and other WCW midcarders. So the midcard was filled out nicely but I don't think it was enough to make up for the lack of bonafide superstars in the main event.

For me, WWE in the year 2000 was just firing on all cylinders. It was the most optimal mix of talent at all levels. The main event was filled with some of the biggest superstars of all time all at their peak of popularity. The tag team division was more exciting than it had been since the 80's. And they had the best of the WCW guys already in the company in upper midcard roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back