Time Capsule: 1988

TUFFY54

Getting Noticed By Management
This is a thread I've been wanting to start for a while now. The idea is to look back through the years and make a comparison with what was going on between the major wrestling companies. To see how there top feuds and gimmicks would match up with each other in the ring. Thats the catch. I'm not just going to say "company A had this, company B had this, which was better". I'm going to take the guys involved and put them in a match. Think of it almost like if the Invasion angle had taken place in any year throughout history. I plan on doing a few of these. The matchs could be singles, tags, or gimicks. Whatever seems like it would work the best. For the first one of these I wanted to start with a bang.

1988:
WWF: In 1988 the WWF was dominated by a feud where Hogan and Savage fought The Million Dollar Man and Andre The Giant. In addtion to this, they also had a hot young rookie named the Ultimate Warrior.

NWA: In the NWA, 1988 was the year of the Horsemen. The team of Flair, Arn, Tully, and Windham was the best ever. They ran wild and held all the belts. The NWA also had a hot young rookie named Sting.

So here's the match:

WARGAMES
Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Andre The Giant, The Million Dollar Man, and Ultimate Warrior

VS.

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham, and Sting

My money would be on team WWF. While the Horsemen were a unit and veterans of Wargames, they would be outmatched here. The WWF has 5 solid main eventers on its team. The NWA has 2 main eventers and a bunch of good midcarders. Plus, I dont think the Horseman ever one a single Wargames match.

Winners: WWF

I'm open for questions, comments, and complaints.

for sure WWF would have them outmatched here... although Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and Sting together all in their primes would have been a great team, Never really had much for Blanchard and Windham. Rick Rude on either team as a replacement would have been money!!! good post though I like this!!!

The WWF team would have been more than unlikely to get along. The Horsemen are a true stable that had each other's backs making them one of the most formidable teams to have ever set foot in a wrestling ring. To put them up against a group of faces and heels is practically a slaughter. Too much fighting amongst one another to get the job done I think. That's what happens when your team is half and half.

Winners: NWA

I see your point about getting along SAMCRO. However, as much as I hate to disagree with a feel Arkansas resident, I don't feel it would be that big of an issue. Since it's a WARGAMES match, it mostly just consistes of the fresh man comming in a cleaning house. Since they wouldnt have to to worry about tags and whatnot, I think there would be a lot less betrayel. Plus Andre comming in fresh as the last guy on his team would be a hell of an advantage. Anyway, it would be a hell of a match.

Forgive me for going off topic but I couldn't figure out how to start a topic. Today is a historic anniversary. It was 20 years ago today that The Undertaker made his debut. Congratulations to the dead man for having the most impressive run in the history of the business. If someone would like to start a thread for this topic I would love to discuss the career of taker and all he has done.

You have to have 10 posts then go to forum tools and select start new thread. Next time at least comment on the original thread before you ask a question. :disappointed:

In 1988 the NWA also had the Road Warriors and Lex Luger all in their primes. Take out Arn, Tully, and Barry and put those 3 in instead and it's the NWA without a question !

WWF would on paper have this on any level, shoot wise... Andre could have killed anyone he chose... but if Andre didn't want to play well with the others then we could have Flair breaking Hogan's leg after dodging his legdrop... a Spike Piledriver taking out Savage and Warrior blowing up badly against his former partner and being taken advantage of...

Of course it wouldn't have been a shoot... On balance I think that there is more "fodder" on Team NWA than WWE... but I do think Sting would have been the standout of the match... Anderson, Windham and Blanchard would go, leaving Flair and Sting... Andre would do his normal tied up in the Ropes/Count Out exit... Warrior would have probably ended up getting DQ'd on a frustration level... of the rest though DiBiase, Savage and Hogan would have the edge on Flair and Sting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back