Throwing in the Towel on Raw.... on purpose?

ZUMBOdriver

Occasional Pre-Show
So I just read that the rapper Wale thinks they're throwing in the towel when it comes to Raw. I don't see how anyone can disagree with this. Raws have been straight up boring as of late, and to be honest, I was equally as bored watching Night of Champions. Injuries and departures haven't made things easy, but this is starting to get pretty bad.

Due to WWE's stranglehold on the wrestling industry, the people in charge are pretty much able to impose their wills on how they want to run the business, or even more specifically, write the shows.

What if this is their mindset when it comes to writing and booking Raw?

WWE's new and disappointing television deal has already been signed. Does this lock in the dollar value for all that advertising space that 3 hour Raws create? I wouldn't know, but if it does, why put in a bunch of work to make Raw an entertaining program? Fall has always been a down time for the WWE. The writers and backstage heads could be "taking it easy" for lack of a better term until the big Wrestlemania push begins. Again, I'm just speculating, but fans have every right to be upset if this is the case. But could there be more of a method to the madness than we think?

If the WWE's business model heavily depends on the network as their main source of revenue, is Raw being neglected for more important things? Or maybe a better way of phrasing it would be, "Is the network making Raw obsolete to a certain segment of fans?"

Old logic says, TV was written and booked to sell PPVs. Now that PPVs are a part of the network, is compelling TV truly needed to sell these PPVs via the network to the "superfan"? The type of fan that has been watching for years, watches many hours of wrestling a week, frequents forums like this, etc. My guess is a lot of those people feel the $9.99 per month is worth it just for the old library. Monthly Sunday Night Raws are just a bonus that comes with the network. Not to mention these were the people paying $64.99 for PPVs before the network. Can't argue with those savings. These "superfans" are hooked.

Now, being the businessmen that they are at WWE, this leaves Raw open to cater to everyone else. Make sure the sponsors are happy so that money keeps rolling in. Try to convert some Total Divas fans who are watching Raw to become motivated enough to buy the network. Promotional stuff like Florida Georgia Line. Invite Michael Sam to Raw. Or really just serve any type of agenda that needs serving that might not completely have to do with in-ring wrestling.

So what do you folks think? Is Raw being neglected? Is Raw just a promotional tool now? Will Raw's importance be diminished over time due to the network? I'd like to know what you people think

Wale is the same guy that left threatening voicemails for a magazine that omitted him from their Top 50 albums of the year. Point being: he's irrational. As is this thought. Raw hasn't been grade A lately, but it's been far from a throw away.

Throwing in the towel? What does he mean exactly? For me, if they were throwing in the towel they wouldnt even care about half time at the NFL. I feel like trying to get people in at half time is then an attempt to get people to watch next week. At the same time however, they arent really giving us any reason to stay tuned.

Throwing in the towel? What does he mean exactly? For me, if they were throwing in the towel they wouldnt even care about half time at the NFL. I feel like trying to get people in at half time is then an attempt to get people to watch next week. At the same time however, they arent really giving us any reason to stay tuned.

You are correct. Throwing in the towel is a very vague term. Obviously, the whole show won't be completely neglected. Obviously, main storylines will get some effort, but to what degree? They don't have to sell HiaC to me. I already bought it with my subscription. Many others too. Is the WWE's goal with Raw to sell the network with quality buildup leading to a good PPV? Or are they more interested in simply selling the network to new demographics by any means necessary, neglecting a quality creative process along the way?

If one would be a fan of bad acting, gaps in the logic and constant promotion, then they probably don't think the towel is being thrown in on Raw. I guess the definition of "the towel being thrown in on Raw" largely depends on one's point of view.

To play devil's advocate, the whole capitalizing on NFL halftime could prove my point that Raw is suffering from some neglect. Obviously, it's smart to try and draw viewers with a big segment during halftime of the game. No one can deny that. But if that's where all the focus for the show goes (beginning and end would have to get some attention too), and you've got more than 2 hours worth of filler, that could be taken as "throwing in the towel". Especially if those main segments feature wrestlers that a large number of fans aren't interested in. Once again, it all has to do with point of view.

As usual, it seems that people are making WAY too big of a deal out of this whole situation. WWE is in a slump right now and so what? It's not the first time, it won't be the last time and they're not the first wrestling company to be in this situation.

It's not really that big of a deal and they're certainly not "throwing in the towel." As has been pointed out, were they just giving up or whatever, why would they even try the halftime thing featuring Cena & Lesnar? It didn't exactly pay off, but they gave it a shot. Things will pick back up soon, they always do. Man, I dread how people react if something happens that's genuinely, seriously wrong with. :disappointed:

Wale is right. Read the whole interview
Wrestling is trash now. And has been for a while.
Wrestling hasn't been good since 2001.
I hate how people are bashing him for speaking the truth.
The product isnt good. Either your blind or a mark if you can't see that.

Wale can express his opinion like everyone else.
Wale been saying what everyone has been saying for years.

I find it funny when people bash WWE. People get mad or offended. When its only the truth.
Please don't be a Mindless WWE sheep.

Well I have to say first is I don't care what some rapper says about RAW. He doesn't like it, thinks it's lame, whatever. His opinion means nothing to me personally, just as I'm sure he wouldn't listen to mine either.

I agree with Jack Hammer, they are in a slump, and part of it hasn't been their own doing. They've been hampered with injuries to some of their top level talent, and that's unavoidable in this industry.

Bryan, Reigns and Barrett are all out and when they will come back is anyone's guess. The creative team, and I really wish they would change their name, because they aren't that creative at times, is horrible lately. But saying that, they have to work with what they have.

It wasn't the best time for Ambrose to go off and film a movie either, but these things are scheduled ahead of time, and I'm sure they couldn't have foreseen that Reigns would need surgery.

This time of the year always seems to be a bad one for them for some reason. Maybe it's because they're gearing up for the Rumble and the run up to Mania, these guys can't go full tilt all the time, if they did then more of them would be out for extended periods of time.

They have a lot of talent sitting down there in Florida just waiting to be used, and now is the time to start debuting them on the flagship show. it will inject new life into it and give the fans something to cheer for and something fresh to watch. I agree we're seeing a lot of the same matches over and over again, but if the put some of the NXT guys in there, it would liven things up. Let's up that happens and happens soon.

As usual, it seems that people are making WAY too big of a deal out of this whole situation. WWE is in a slump right now and so what? It's not the first time, it won't be the last time and they're not the first wrestling company to be in this situation.

It's not really that big of a deal and they're certainly not "throwing in the towel." As has been pointed out, were they just giving up or whatever, why would they even try the halftime thing featuring Cena & Lesnar? It didn't exactly pay off, but they gave it a shot. Things will pick back up soon, they always do. Man, I dread how people react if something happens that's genuinely, seriously wrong with.

I came up with my theory after watching Raw on Monday. It's the Wale comments I read this morning, plus some down time at work, that triggered me to post a thread about it. That's where I got the "throw in the towel" language. Perhaps that wasn't the best way to phrase my point.

Has a change in the WWE business model caused Raw to be neglected or any less important? Maybe that's better?

Raw has been lackluster for a "good stretch", but you're correct in saying it won't be the first or the last time it happens. You're also correct in saying things will pick back up. Things will pick back up when Wrestlemania season begins. In my opinion, this is even further proof that the WWE is neglecting Raw (To certain extent, people. Not everything is so cut and dry.) here in the fall.

It kind of seems like the only time they care about truly coming up with something creative and compelling is WM time. I like wrestling 12 months out of the year. Not sure about the rest of you.

And do any of you remember the (rumored) WM30 card before the Royal Rumble? Maybe they aren't even dedicated to be compelling and creative during WM season either. Once again, that's about point of view. I'm sure there are plenty of apologists who would disagree.

You always see trolls respond to someone who has a gripe in the comment sections with, "You know you will still watch no matter what.", or something to that tune. But the trolls speak the truth about that fact. Those "superfans" as I referred to them, will keep coming back no matter what.

So for the WWE to have a business plan that includes writing Raw to cater to other demos, and less emphasis is placed on compelling build-up for a PPV that a "superfan" may want to see, that is their choice. The "superfan" has already purchased the PPV.

Not trying to make this a political style debate between indy smarks and muscle marks either. But asking if you feel that this business strategy is feasible, no matter what side of the fence you lie on.

I don't see this as a very far-fetched scenario. And remember folks, we are talking about RAW here, not the WWE as a whole. Is there less emphasis to come up with compelling weekly TV to sell PPVs/network subscriptions? With six month commitments, the WWE only truly has to sell you on their product twice a year. Or maybe all the old content is enough to sell people on the network?

They can run their business however they like, but has the way they currently do business, hurt the television product?

It just feels like they don't really try anymore. Between the stupid names they give a lot of these guys(seriously, are they using some random name generator to make these lame names up), the half-assed pushes, and INTENTIONAL cool-offs of guys who are getting too over before they are "ready" for it, it's no wonder that WWE always books itself into a corner that leads to the same matches over and over.

I mean Kane is STILL being used as the "punishment heel opponent". Ridiculous.

Wale is right. Read the whole interview
Wrestling is trash now. And has been for a while.
Wrestling hasn't been good since 2001.
I hate how people are bashing him for speaking the truth.
The product isnt good. Either your blind or a mark if you can't see that.

Wale can express his opinion like everyone else.
Wale been saying what everyone has been saying for years.

I find it funny when people bash WWE. People get mad or offended. When its only the truth.
Please don't be a Mindless WWE sheep.

I really have to wonder about people that slag off the product yet still keep a keen eye on websites like this and, one assumes, the tv shows, to know the state of the product.

As it is, Raws have been fairly consistent since the Nexus angle in 2010. That is, every now and then you'll get a brilliant show where everything falls together (like the CM Punk pipe bomb episode, not a bad segment in that entire show) but usually falls into a routine of being watchable every other week, with the interceding weeks being lower quality. I no longer see Raw as a must-see these days, and gave up on Smackdown years ago - if a match or segment comes up that I want to see, I'll find it on YouTube.

The intriguing thing is, whilst the television situation is hold and cold, the monthly ppvs have been consistently good, easily the best ppv output since 2001. It's almost ironic that people slate WWE because of the state of Raw when the ppv shows (and indeed NXT) are thriving this year.

I have to wonder, since the standard of ppvs is so high at the moment, what would the buy rates be if the Network didn't exist? I'd wager they'd be pretty decent, despite the tv output

Let me just put it this way...there was a time where even though I knew I could check spoilers or results, I still would be kind of upset if I had to miss RAW/SmackDown for whatever reason (usually work) and try my best to make it home if I was working during the day (obviously I don't own a DVR). Now it's gotten to a point where I just don't care if I miss a show because I'm pretty sure I haven't missed anything really important. Even during Wrestlemania season. The main problem with WWE is that probably at least 50% of the time the writers churn out the best they can come up with, then maybe, if they're lucky they have 90 minutes before the show goes live before Vince tells them to completely change most if not all the script. Maybe that's why they feel they shouldn't try so hard because it probably won't matter.

I haven't been excited to see raw in months. It just sits in my dvr. If i have absolutely NOTHING to do , then I watch Raw. I prefer reading the results and comments. Raw is terrible.

The problem with WWE management right now is they don't want to listen to what the fans want. They would rather put the product out there and then get pissy when the fans don't enjoy it. Instead of adapting their writing to the audience they want to force superstars on us and get mad when we don't chant what they want us to. If they don't change their strategy they will go the way of Nascar in a few more years.

Welcome to the Fall season, when the leaves change color, and people start saying the WWE sucks.

The WWE builds so much of its year around WrestleMania and Summer Slam, that this creates lags during the rest of the year creatively. It's a chronic problem for them, but at the end of the day, people will be back come January to watch the Royal Rumble and the road to WrestleMania. :shrug:

The problem with WWE management right now is they don't want to listen to what the fans want. They would rather put the product out there and then get pissy when the fans don't enjoy it.

In all forms of entertainment, as well as all forms of non-entertainment enterprises, the company has to "put their product out there" and do their best to decide what will bring in the customers/clients/patients etc.

Trying to learn "what the fans want" is an iffy proposition, at best.

Take Randy Orton....if WWE attempts to "ask" the fans what characteristics be assigned him, they'd tell us he should be a heel....except for those who feel he should be a face....not to mention to who are positive he'd be best as a 'tweener. And Randy should be John Cena's enemy.....except it would be better if he were Cena's ally.......and of course, "everyone" knows it's best when Orton has no connection to Cena at all. On which fans is WWE supposed to based their decision?

How about pay-per-views? Well, "everyone" knows there are too many of them. Once a month is too much, just about all fans will tell you 6 a year would be plenty.....except for a sizable segment of folks who know for a fact that 3 would bring optimum value. Not to mention those who feel there should be no ppv's; it would be far preferable for everyone to gather at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City twice a year to cheer on their favorites as the wrestlers square off against the ballplayers in a Kansas City Royals Rumble.

Imho, a guy who wants WWE to give the fans what they want is actually looking for the company to give him what he wants. Otherwise, there are too many opinions out there, based on the personal preferences of individuals, for WWE to cater strictly to "what the fans want." Plus, fans who holler suggestions aren't aware of the constraints and conditions under which the subject business operates. Add to that the problem that many of the fan's desires are too far out there to consider. (Fire Cena!....Have a world title fight once a week!....Have Randy Orton marry the Big Show!....Have a backstage segment in which Paige orally pleasures William Regal!)

WWE is putting out the best product they can, based on the notion that there's too damn much of it to keep constant creativity flowing in every aspect of the business. There have to be some periods that are slower than others. Plus, the fact they have some key people out of action makes it that much harder to keep running at 100% all the time.

But lax periods always end, followed by times when the action is hot again.

All this is not to say the company should completely ignore fan suggestions; it's just that trying to cater to them would result in a holy mess. If they have a person or two who monitors forums such as this one, that's more than enough.

It's all out there.

RAW hadn't been grade A for a long time. I won't say they have thrown in the towel but I do think they have forgotten how to write an interesting show. wwe has a problem in that tv has changed over the years and they don't know how to adapt. When Stone Cold was the antihero, it was a unique thing in tv but you look today and a lot of shows have that type of character. wwe isn't adapting. I think a lot of that had to do with Vince. He has never really been big into popular culture but 20 years ago that was no big deal but today that is going to cost him as it isn't just UFC that is his competition, it is Breaking Bad, etc - all those shows with the good vs evil idea and shady characters which made him a ton of money in the Attitude Era. They are trying to out write those shows without really understanding them and failing.

For wwe it is simple - less talk, more rock. Cut back on the promos, the behind the scenes crap and have fewer but better matches. The matches are supposed to tell the story, not a 15 minute promo. I think they are coasting - they have decent money coming in from live events, can sell tons of DVDs on older stuff so there is no reason to worry right now and try to change. But it will end. Cena can't wrestle forever and eventually they will need to change up how they are doing things but may find the audience they need just isn't there.

They just lack any competition.

In the attitude era they put on the product that they did because the competition brought them to take from the hot niche product (ECW)

Currently the hot niche product is RoH, but WWE is so monopolystically rich that it doesn't need to renew its product and it's fine in its current stagnation. If there was any proper competition I could easily see a more RoH-ish production.

So because a few guys are out Raw is a mess? Well they have the Wyatts that they are doing nothing with, they had the Shield, but split them up just so well, they can feud with each other. Or how about this Evolution group Triple H recreated THAT HASN'T DONE A DAMN THING. Oh then you have Kane in one headline match after another.

Want a boost in interest? Pay Sting and get him on Raw, fanboys dream matches one after another each week. Fans would tune in to see what Sting does each week. Pay Punk and bring him back in a non wrestling role if possible. Fans would watch. Hell how about bring Punk back in a non wrestling role, as a leader of the new Nexus that he once lead.

So many things WWE could do to bring some life to Raw, and we all know none will ever happen.

Anyone who really thinks WWE has thrown in the towel obviously wasn't alive and/or watching back in the Doink the Clown days. I'll admit that Raw has been hit-or-miss and there have been some head-scratchers as far as pushes and storylines go, but it's not the end of the world. Chill out.

I don't think they've thrown in the towel... it would make no sense. They are still a business, they still want the best ratings.

I think it's just a down cycle right now. Lots of injuries, a lack of great talent and poor development of the middle of the roster. Some boring characters and poor storylines.

I am sure they are trying to work through it and make a better product but it's just not happening right now.

Let me just put it this way...there was a time where even though I knew I could check spoilers or results, I still would be kind of upset if I had to miss RAW/SmackDown for whatever reason (usually work) and try my best to make it home if I was working during the day (obviously I don't own a DVR). Now it's gotten to a point where I just don't care if I miss a show because I'm pretty sure I haven't missed anything really important. Even during Wrestlemania season. The main problem with WWE is that probably at least 50% of the time the writers churn out the best they can come up with, then maybe, if they're lucky they have 90 minutes before the show goes live before Vince tells them to completely change most if not all the script. Maybe that's why they feel they shouldn't try so hard because it probably won't matter.

This. Right here. Spot on the money. The way Raw is composed is BROKEN. Both Kevin Kelly and LaBar proposed potential changes to how Raw could be structured timewise. Both good suggestions, but Raw needs an overhaul in how the show is composed too.

If I'm a writer, I'm certainly not gonna bust my hump to write a creative show just so McMahon can axe it right before showtime. No need to make one's job harder than it is. I would simply write to cater to whoever has the final say. And McMahon knows that throwing together a Raw or Smackdown right before the show won't change things much.

As I've said, I think Raw is far less important than it used to be. Everyone in this thread who said Raw ISN'T throwing in the towel, didn't really have anything to back up their claim. A lot of excuses though. I'll say it again. I like wrestling 12 months out of the year.

I don't think they've thrown in the towel... it would make no sense. They are still a business, they still want the best ratings.

I think it's just a down cycle right now. Lots of injuries, a lack of great talent and poor development of the middle of the roster. Some boring characters and poor storylines.

I am sure they are trying to work through it and make a better product but it's just not happening right now.

Anyone who really thinks WWE has thrown in the towel obviously wasn't alive and/or watching back in the Doink the Clown days. I'll admit that Raw has been hit-or-miss and there have been some head-scratchers as far as pushes and storylines go, but it's not the end of the world. Chill out.

Do they want the best ratings? Or do they just want to keep ratings steady to keep advertisers and NBC happy? I was just talking to a friend who works in advertising sales for NBC. When the WWE signed their new TV deal with NBC, that is where all of their television revenue comes from. The actual money that advertisers pay goes to NBC, including increases and decreases in price due to other factors (like ratings changes.) Sort of makes Raw simply seem like a revenue stream for the WWE, and no longer the "flagship."

The network is the new flagship, or at least they hope so.

I think the main goal is to sell network subscriptions. And outside of constantly saying 9.99 on Raw, Raw is not really being used as a very important vehicle to promote the network. But what does promote the network?

-The champ only fights on the network (as long as it's Lesnar)

-NXT. (But lets not put NXT superstars on Raw, they could get more cheers than the guys we want to get cheers who would actually get cheers if we would write more creatively for them since they are not charismatic enough to get over on their own.) Yeah that was a rant, and yeah I know the NXT guys were on Raw once and made a great impact. That's why it's even more puzzling that they weren't on since, especially in this obviously Raw downtime.

-The video library

-Value (The people who want creative and compelling Raws already own the network based on the great value. Raw is a promotional tool and a breeding ground for new fans to potentially buy the network.)

So I ask again, "Has the importance of viewing Raw to the wrestling fan been diminished because of the network?"

Any successful company needs competition. One of the worst things to happen in wrestling was when the WWE bought out WCW and ECW not long afterwards, 2 of the 3 biggest wrestling companies gone in just a few weeks between them. One of the most exciting times back in the day is when say an established WWF wrestler crossed over to WCW or vice versa for example and all the dream matches to look forward to when that wrestler arrived but now mainly all the new wrestlers coming in all come from NXT and most appear to be relatively unknowns which makes it so stale and predictable

Even when TNA attemped a few years ago to go head to head with Raw they were completely derailed on the date of their first new show which I had been looking forward to by the return of Bret Hart to the WWE which even I could not miss so its like their not even willing to give any other company a chance to get near their level which I think hurts the WWE in the long run.

While your ideas sound interesting and something that prolly might happen in another universe, RAW is still the flagship show and where it all happens. Lately NXT has been the flashship because of the difference in quality but that's another thing.

WWE is in a slump right and I think I voiced my displeasure enough on the forum. So I accepted it and I just watch and skip most of it since I don't miss much. I just see what segment is coming up watch 10 sec of it and I just skip it. No point in wasting my time and getting frustrated because I have to see braindead stuff.

Now time wise you have to think. We are basically 3 months away from road to wrestlemania. So the creative part of the creative team will have to get going "soon". At least now Ambrose is back as RAW has been terribly boring without someone like him there. I mean really it felt like every RAW was just 2.5hours of nothing and then a Roman Reigns match. Yea they had Heyman promos but that doesn't fix talent being heavily misused and big players being injured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back