This Bizarre Argument I Had

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
Verbatim:

Person A said:
Last night was the first John Cena vs. C.M. Punk double title house show match in Peoria. The finish they did was both men on the mat after a double clothesline spot, and Alberto Del Rio came in and hit both men with the briefcase and the match was ruled a double DQ. Before Del Rio could get the match started, Cena gave him the Attitude Adjustment and then Punk gave him the GTS and he went running. The show ended with Cena and Punk each holding their belts doing a staredown.

Holy shit, imagine if you paid money and got that finish.

Sam said:
What, at a house show? Sounds pretty decent.

Person A said:
I guess I'm just old fashioned and think TV should be a commercial for house shows and not vice versa, even if that hasn't been the case for a decade.

Sam said:
TV should be a commercial for pay-per-views, not house shows.

A said:
I just think people aren't buying the PPVs but they might take the family to a house show for a night out.

I can't prove this, though, and for all I know house show numbers are even worse than PPV buyrates.

Sam said:
I've not seen WWE's tax returns but I'd imagine, appealing to little Jimmies or no, pay-per-views make more money than a hundred house shows.

Why would you give away a clean win (and thus the resolution to the champion vs. champion story) to an audience of a few thousand people in the arse end of nowhere?

I'm astounded they're even wrestling on house shows and would thank my lucky stars if I got to see it, DQ finish or not. I'd have booked them separately or at least throw Mysterio into a three-way.

I'm sure the two had a more than reasonable match and the tickets were a more than reasonable price. If anybody but the four-year-olds were actually expecting a clean finish, they're moronic.

A said:
It's not just the double DQ that bugged me...it's the whole to be continued cliffhanger. I know they have to do it like that but it just sort of smacks of "haha, you just paid us for a match and now you're going to have to pay us again to see how it ends."

Sam said:
WWE, TNA and, well, any promotion you can name have done similar things live on pay-per-view - and that is truly bullshit. I'm sure the fact that Punk and Cena had a great match and that they beat the shit out of ADR in turn soothed the burn.

Questions to be answered!

• Am I in the right?
  • Was this guy born in the fifties?
  • Has the WWE effectively worked him?
  • Can you believe that John Cena's not gonna turn up on Raw and be like "Never mind guys - I became undisputed champ over the weekend; s'all cool!"?
  • Was I too quick to make amends, reluctant to take on the indignant hordes that such arguments attract?

Sam is right. Sam is always right. Sam could tell me Wade Barrett is a great superstar and I'd believe him.

This guy was not born in the 50s, he's just too smarky for his own good.

The WWE doesn't care about him because he's fucking stupid.

John Cena can do whatever he wants, but he wouldn't punk the fans like that.

You were too quick to make amends. This guy should be ostracized at least until the end of the Disputed Champion angle.

No, he is right. Major angles should always culminate at house shows. And every house show should be the culmination of a major angle.

Can you believe that John Cena's not gonna turn up on Raw and be like "Never mind guys - I became undisputed champ over the weekend; s'all cool!"?

If I was at a house show and I didn't see the titles unified, I'd demand a refund.

Aired shows should be commercials for house shows? That's the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever heard in my entire life.

To be fair that is how it used to be. Hasn't been that way since around 1995 but I understand his point. He just doesn't realize times have changed.

House shows, for the most part, should have clean finishes and show long storylines. For example a contrivance should happen at the beginning of the show where it results in the biggest heel and face on the show teaming in the main event.

Not as bizarre as the argument I had. Me and my flatmate were half an hour late to the pub last night because we were arguing over Gary Barlow's ability as a songwriter.

Did you reach a consensus? Don't tell me it's still hanging over your friendship like a dark cloud!

Anyway, I've become more confrontational. From the same forum:

Person B (Persona A got banned for an unrelated post) said:
Not at all. Anyone of heavyweight size is a believable foe for Big Show. Rey is not a viable threat. Not to mention if you just STAY OFF THE FUCKING ROPES, he has no chance to gimmick win.

I'm going to continue this conversation; I'm a man of my word. You might not think we have much to discuss but [In another post, he'd tried to palm it off as a, "It's my opinion, why discuss it?" sort of thing], good son of Krypton, we do. In fact, I have four paragraph's worth of stuff to discuss with you - four paragraphs. Better get cracking or I'll be late for my hair appointment.

Firstly, if Rey's not a viable threat, I'm astounded that the WWE would humiliate main eventers like Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Randy Orton and Batista by having the Mexican version of Hornswoggle go over them. I'm amazed that they'd bury up-and-comers like Dolph Ziggler and Cody Rhodes by even having this mask-wearing garden gnome so much as look competitive against them. I suppose the reason he's come mere whiskers away from defeating both John Cena and The Undertaker was just to teach them some humility.

Secondly, John Cena outweighs Rey Mysterio by 65 pounds. The Big Show outweighs John Cena by 245 pounds. Not good enough? Andre the Giant outweighed Hulk Hogan by 175 pounds. Yokozuna outweighed Bret Hart by about 500 pounds. Kane outweighed Steve Austin by 75 pounds. Mark Henry outweighs Randy Orton by 150 pounds. In a world where men routinely take on men much more physically imposing than themselves, Rey Mysterio taking on John Cena, Batista, CM Punk or whoever else is downright sensible in comparison.

Thirdly, wrestling is a form of entertainment where we must continually suspend our disbelief. You're watching UFC, Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre are having a forty minute match, only to be decided when Dana White runs down to the octagon and tries to screw GSP because he was going to take the belt and run off to Canada with it - you're going to be wondering just what in the fuck is going on. View the same thing through the prism of a wrestling fan and suddenly it's, "Oh, that dastardly Dana White Vince McMahon! How dare he!?" As wrestling fans, we're frequently asked to swallow the downright fanciful, and, smarks or not, we do. What is it about Rey Mysterio beating larger men that makes you suddenly come unstuck?

Fourthly, what on Earth happened to us screaming and banging our feet like children over the fact that Vince supposedly only likes big guys? Rey Mysterio wins a title and suddenly it's like, "Whoa there, Vinnie boy! I know we said small but we didn't mean that small. Basically, Chris Jericho is the lower limit. Give that belt back to Cena if you please."

I'm off to get a blow-dry.

The house show argument sounds like standard Sidious. Not surprised he was banned. Also wouldn't be surprised if he thinks the Orton-Steph DDT/kiss segment should have climaxed in public rape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back