Then vs. Now

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
This has been done before. But I'll get it going again. Take a wrestler from today. Put them against a wrestler from the past. And see who's the best. It's not which one you prefer, but who had the better matches, made the biggest contribution etc.

1st: Hulk Hogan vs. John Cena

63.jpg

# NWA South Eastern Heavyweight title defeating Dick Slater;
# AWA World Heavyweight title defeating Nick Bockwinkel now recognized (1982);
# IWPG Heavyweight Tournament Winner defeating Antonio Inoki by mistake (June 2, 1983);
# WWF Federation title defeating The Iron Sheik (January 23, 1984);
# WWF Federation title defeating Randy "Macho Man" Savage (April 2, 1989);
# WWF Federation title defeating Sgt. Slaughter (March 24, 1991);
# WWF Federation title defeating The Undertaker (December 3, 1991);
# WWF Federation title defeating Yokozuna (April 4, 1993);
# WWF Royal Rumble 1990 (January 21, 1990);
# WWF Royal Rumble 1991 (January 19, 1991);
# WCW World title defeating Ric Flair (July 17, 1994);
# WCW World title defeating The Giant (August 10, 1996);
# WCW World title defeating Lex Luger (August 9, 1997);
# WCW World title defeating Randy Savage (April 20, 1998);
# WCW World title defeating Kevin Nash (January 4, 1999);
# WCW World title defeating Randy Savage (July 12, 1999);
# WWE Undisputed Heavyweight title defeating Triple H (April 21, 2002);
# WWE Tag Team titles w/Edge defeating Billy & Chuck (July 4, 2002)​

vs.

32.jpg

# UPW Heavyweight title;
# OVW Heavyweight title;
# OVW Southern Tag Team titles w/Rico Constantino;
# WWE United States title defeating The Big Show (March 14, 2004 - Wrestlemania XX);
# WWE United States title defeating Booker T -Best of 5 Series- (October 3, 2004 - No Mercy);
# WWE United States title defeating Carlito Cool (November 19, 2004 - Smackdown!);
# WWE Heavyweight title defeating John Bradshaw Layfield (April 3, 2005 - Wrestlemania 21);
# WWE Heavyweight title defeating Edge w/Lita (January 29, 2006 - Royal Rumble);
# WWE Heavyweight title defeating Edge w/Lita (September 17, 2006 - Unforgiven);
# (WWE) World Tag Team titles w/Shawn Michaels defeating Edge & Randy Orton (January 29, 2007 - RAW​

This is interesting because John Cena today represenrs what Hulk Hogan was 20 or so years ago. Without a doubt though, it's Hogan. He has put on many classic matches, great feuds, and more. Love Hogan or hate him he made a bigger impact on the wrestling industry than Cena ever will. Hogan is the biggest draw in wrestling history, so no matter he you compare him to he'll still come out on top. Cena is getting there, I personally do not like him, but he's a huge draw for WWE, and has had decent PPV matches. He draws a huge crowd reaction, but it's uncomparable to Hogan.

I don't like either one, but you have to go with Hogan. Not because he's a better wrestler. Not because he's a better interview. But simply because he revolutionized wrestling. He helped shape it into what it is today. Wrestling through the territories, helping WWF rise up (including Wrestlemania's), going to WCW and helping them up, joining the nWo and help bring WWE down. He is THE wrestling legend, in my opinion.

Now, John Cena is a better wrestler in my opinion, but overall you cannot count out Hogan.

PS: Could this be the Wrestlemania 30 Main Event? I think so!

Hogan is to wrestling what Jordan was to the NBA and Tiger to golf, he revolutionized a sporting industry (or sports entertainment industry). He made the WWF mainstreem, then went to WCW and kicked WWF butt, and still he could headline a WM easily.

Hogan was the leader of two boom periods in professional wrestling. Cena is the top dog, but the top dog in the lowest period of the last ten years.

You can tell that the WWE is desperately trying to make Cena into the 2nd coming of Hogan, but it's impossible. Hogan is Hogan, that's all you can say. He transcends the sport like a Pele, or Ruth, Jordan or Ali. The name of Hogan is bigger then sport he is in. Cena has very little mainstream name appeal at this point.

Now as far as match quality, all of Hogan's matches at the time were must see, no matter how bad they could actually be, but at this point, the Cena matches on the card are usually the ones that I skip through anymore.

While Cena is a phenomenal wrestler, who regularly puts on outstanding PPV matches, there is no way he can compare to the Immortal Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan is one of maybe three wrestlers to ever transcend the business (Andre and Rock being the other two). He has led wrestling through two boom periods, numerous revolutions of the business, and is the biggest draw in history. He's had numerous classic bouts, many more important bouts, and truly understands what professional wrestling is all about.

John Cena is only 30 years old though. He as 8 years to catch up to where Hulk was back in 1991. Cena is certainly off to a good start. But, right now, he can't touch the Hulk.

Hulk Hogan is the greatest professional wrestler of all time.

Sly makes some great points in his post, but one stands out above the rest. Cena has time. It's almost unfair to compare John to Hogan at this stage in his career, but since John Cena seems to fight uphill battles at every stage of his career, he's gotta be used to it.

One thing working in John's favor is the current downturn wrestling is on. If he can "lead the charge" of WWE into another boom period, he'll get closer to that iconic Hogan Status. John will have help (HHH, Jericho, Hardy, etc.) as did Hogan (Andre, DiBiase, Savage, Warrior) in this undertaking, but it won't be easy.

Working AGAINST Cena is the ever shortening attention span of WWE fans. After Hogan's 1996 Heel Turn, fans became spoiled by the roller coaster of emotion that ensued. It seemed as though there was NO stability in the wrestlers you could trust or root for. Fans turned on Cena like a wave crashing to shore, and it'll be interesting to see if Cena winds up making the inevitable, fan-induced heel turn a little too soon.

Hogan wasn't even that good of a wrestler if you think about it... he was just a really big draw because he had more charisma than anybody other than Stone Cold.

My dream match featuring Now vs. Then...

A Survivor Series Match featuring the following

Team Then
-Hulk Hogan
-Randy Savage
-The Rock
-Stone Cold
-The Ultimate Warrior
-Roddy Pipper

vs.

Triple H
Shawn Michaels
Edge
John Cena
The Undertaker
Chris Jericho

You may agree and you may disagree but thats the beauty of being a fan. There will never be a 12 man tag and you'll never see any of those wrestlers agree to that match. Besides... you'll never see anything close to that considering the crap they have been booking lately

It's undoubtedly Hulk Hogan. I don't know what to really say that hasn't been covered already really, so I won't drag this on.

Whereas, as Sly said, The Rock and Andre both transcended the wrestling business similarly to Hogan, neither was as popular or had an impact on the business like the Hulkster, despite being massive superstars. I think that just puts Hogan in perspective, showing truly what a massive star he is in professional wrestling, matched perhaps only by Stone Cold, and that's a tough one.

Cena, yeah, he's a big star but he's only just started really. He's not even on The Rock's level yet, IMO.

When you put everything on the line, Hulk will win this and then some. He is the biggest star professional wrestling has ever seen, and probably will be forever. In 30 years Hogan will still be remembered and his matches will still be watched by aspiring wrestlers and fans alike. I'm not sure if Cena will last that long. Hogan hasn't lasted almost 30 years in the business for nothing. He has bucketloads of charisma, can work a mic perfectly, tells a good story in the ring and can hold the fans in the palm of his hand better than anyone in the history of wrestling. Even today whenever he makes a short return he gets the biggest pop of the night and everyone talks about it. He's not called The Immortal Hulk Hogan for nothing. He truly is immortal.

There is no possible way WWE can make Cena into the second Hogan, it's just impossible to do for many reasons. As others said, Hogan led the business in two boom periods, once with WWF and then again with WCW and the nWo. His match against Andre the Giant at SNME in the 80's did a ridiculous number like 12 or something close to that. His WM3 match, again with Andre, will be remembered forever for the body slam heard round the world and because of what it symbolized. That moment is still shown on WWE tv even to this day and will be until the end of time. Hogan has had more big matches than anyone and everyone tuned in to see them, whether he was fighting Andre, Bossman, Warrior, Rock, Bundy, HBK, you name it, people wanted to see it. A lot of people will say that Vince is the one who made Hogan into what he is today, but it takes two to tango and Hulk's work in the ring is what made people want to root for him. He may not have been the greatest pure wrestler ever, but that didn't mean jack shit when it came time for his match, because all he had to do was cup his hand to his ear and the fans were his.

Bottom line, Hogan is a phenomenon. He transcends the business. No matter what anyone says, guys like Austin and Rock, even though they were massively popular, they were never able to reach the level of Hogan. Hell, even Ric Flair, who some say is the greatest of all time, admits that Hogan was and will always be a bigger name than he is. Hulk made the most money, he drew the most fans and he transcends all aspects of time when it comes to pro wrestling. He has captivated audiences for almost 30 years now and when it's all said and done, Hulkamania will truly live forever.

No doubt Hogan. No arguing this.

I think it iecause they make Cena outs somewhat fair to compare them already to be like this generations Hogan.

Hogan did wonders for this company and the wrestling world. He made the business a household thing, he took the business and made it famous. His character was so appealing and he was trusted to hold the title for four years. He has been is classic matches and huge feuds. He was the leader of the biggest periods in wrestling. No one has ever had so much success as him.

Cena has risen to superstardom very quickly. He is a major draw and a pretty good wrestler. He has however been the leader of the worst period in wrestling and is not fulfilling every fans need. A lot of people dont want to see him as champion.Hogan no matter what always had the fans going the way they were supposed to and always had the crowd interested.

Hogan will always always beat Cena.

2nd: John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar

Brock Lesnar

lesnar.png

Amateur wrestling

* North Dakota State University's annual Bison tournament
o 1997-1998 winner
* Collegiate
o 1998 Junior College National Champion
o Big Ten Title (1999-2000)
o 1999 NCAA Division I runner-up
o Ranked the #1 Heavyweight in the Big Ten (2000)
o 2000 NCAA Division I Champion

Professional wrestling
Brock Lesnar as WWE Champion.
Brock Lesnar as WWE Champion.

* New Japan Pro Wrestling
o IWGP World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

* Inoki Genome Federation
o IWGP Third Belt Championship (1 time)

* Ohio Valley Wrestling
o OVW Southern Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Shelton Benjamin

* World Wrestling Entertainment
o WWE Championship (3 times)
o King of the Ring (2002)
o Royal Rumble (2003)

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year award in 2002
o PWI Wrestler of the Year award in 2002
o PWI Feud of the Year award in 2003 vs Kurt Angle
o PWI Match of the Year award in 2003 vs Kurt Angle - a 60-minute Iron Man match on SmackDown!
o PWI ranked him # 1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2003.

* Wrestling Observer Newsletter
o Most Improved Wrestler award in 2002
o Best Brawler award in 2003
o Feud of the Year award in 2003 vs Kurt Angle
o Most Improved Wrestler award in 2003

John Cena

john_cena.jpg

* Ohio Valley Wrestling
o OVW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
o OVW Southern Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Rico Constantino
* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o Ranked #1 in the PWI 500 for 2006 and 2007
o Feud of the Year – with Edge (2006)
o Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (2003)
o Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (2004, 2005)
o Wrestler of the Year (2006, 2007)
* Ultimate Pro Wrestling
o UPW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
* World Wrestling Entertainment
o WWE Championship (3 times)
o WWE United States Championship (3 times)
o World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Shawn Michaels

As much as I hate to see anyone, particularly the IWC's public enemy number one, in two of these consecutively, I suggested the question about whether Cena would be where he is if Lesnar hadn't left WWE. So here I am, like he suggested, asking that very same question. Of course, we can still discuss who's better, who we prefer etc.

My memory around when Lesnar left WWE is sketchy, despite it only being, what, around four years ago? It was also a time that, when I watched wrestling I got easily distracted and I didn't have the internet to keep me buried under rumours of what's going on. However, I distinctly remember Lesnar, the "next big thing" in many ways, leaving a massive whole in the WWE, no matter how much his last matches sucked absolute donkey cock.

In my opinion, Cena (and not JBL) was the one that assumed Lesnar's role. He was, as Mr. McMahon put it so soon after WM XX "the new face of SmackDown!" Of course, the rest is simply history. Personally, I believe that while Cena didn't go down the road completely intended for Lesnar, there was definite correlation between where Cena is now and where Lesnar would be.

I don't think for a second that Cena replaced Lesnar. Especially considering it took WWE a year after Lesnar left to give Cena the title. But I don't think that Cena would have been pushed half as hard if they'd had Lesnar around at the time. Brock pretty much had it all. After his short feud with The Rock he was (bar a lack of personaliy) brilliant. By the time WM XX came around he was the total package. Brilliant all round. Whereas Cena won the WWE Championship in 2005 and it wasn't until the summer of 2005 until he started to really improve.

I suppose you're correct on that front, as I was forgetting about what happened to the title and WWE as a whole between Lesnar leaving and Cena picking up the strap. In that aspect of my argument, I'm almost definitely wrong. However, I do think Cena and Lesnar, for a while at least, were in similar situations. I don't mean simultaneously as while Lesnar still had a job Cena was never as big as him, but I'd say that currently Cena's status is higher than Lesnar's ever was.

True. But is that because there is nobody who as diverse as Lesnar around? Slyfox can go on about how great a wrestler Cena is. But it's just not true. He's not even a better sports entertainer. If Lesnar was still wrestling today we would have already seen the money match between the two and Lesnar would have won. Then again Cena might be even better as he would probably have been facing people like Benoit, HBK & Jericho as a mid carder and not as the figurhead of the company.

Lesnar was the more impressive of the two as far as in ring ability goes and no one can be certian where Cena would be if Brock was still around. However when it comes to who has done more for the buisness its Cena. When the stars were all injured or leaving the company, Cena threw the WWE on his back and carried the load untill reinforcements arrived. As much as i cannot stand Cena his accomplishments and popularity have surpassed Lesnar and if he beat HBK at wrestlemania you have to think Lesnar takes the fall here. The only current superstar that may be bigger than Cena right now is HHH who would tear up the legends history book if he could.

Hogan is to wrestling what Jordan was to the NBA and Tiger to golf, he revolutionized a sporting industry (or sports entertainment industry). He made the WWF mainstreem, then went to WCW and kicked WWF butt, and still he could headline a WM easily.

I agree with everything you said except for the last part! lol! He could probably headline a WM because of his name but his wrestling skills are not what they used to. He's just too slow. But overall I do have to go with Hogan at this time because of what he did for the Industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back