Their Greatest Rival: Edge

TheKingofKings20222

WWE Attitude Era Champion
In part 4 of Their Greatest Rival, we turn to none other than, The Rated-R Superstar, Edge! On November 10, 1997 Adam Copeland debuted in the WWE as Sexton Hardcastle. After a short and mediocre run, his name was changed to Edge. He was paired with his childhood friend, Christian, and the two became one of the most historic tag teams in the history of the WWE. Eventually, the time came for Edge to branch out on his own. His time came at WrestleMania 21, where he won the first ever Money in the Bank ladder match.

At New Year's Revolution, Edge finally achieved what was said he could never do, he won the WWE Championship for the first time in his career. Edge would go on to win the WWE title 3 more times, and win the World Heavyweight Championship 7 times. Sadly his career was cut short due to a neck injury, but Edge's career will not be forgotten.

Over his decorative career Edge had many rivals. From his feuds with his best friend Christian, to his all so real feud with Matt Hardy. But who was his biggest rival?

I believe it was John Cena

When Edge first started to step into the main event picture, he did so by stepping up to the plate and going straight for John Cena. His feud with Cena was arguably one of the bests of it's time. Alongside Lita, Edge soon became the most hated man in the WWE. Constantly feuding with Cena.

So that's my opinion, what's yours?

Edge's greatest rival was Undertaker there feud started in may 2007 when edge cashed in on undertaker to win the world title and the feud went on for over a year with edge returning at survivor series to cost undertaker the title in hell in a cell against batista, edge winning the title the next ppv in a triple threat match with help from zack ryder and curt hawkins. edge aligning himself with them, gm vickie, chavo and bam neeley. they had in my opinion the Greatest Match Ever at Wrestlemania 24. they then followed that up with good rematches at backlash, judgement day, tlc match at one night stand in which edge won and forced undertaker to leave wwe and a Awesome Hell In A Cell Match at Summerslam to end their great rivarly.

I think the John Cena feud was his best too. It got real personal between the two. One of the classic moments in that rivalry is when Edge slapped the s#%t out of John Cena's father! Another great moment is when Cena threw Edge into the Long Island Sound!

Edge set a classic trend when he cashed in his MITB breifcase on an already shop worn John Cena, a trend that just about every one else who were MITB winners followed to success! Edge became known as the Ultimate Opportunist after his first WWE title win. A reputation that carried him to another successful MITB win over Undertaker.

Their matches were classics as well. This rivalry in my eyes is what kickstarted Edge's main event run and solidified him as a top player for years to come. That's not taking away anything prior to the Cena feud. His tag team career was one of the best in the history of WRESTLING! Not just WWE....Wrestling!

If you were asking who his greatest rival was as far as tag teams are concerned, I would probably say The Hardy's. All four guys involved in that feud revolutionized tag team wrestling and set the bar pretty high for others to follow.

I picked the Cena feud because it gave us a chance to see a new Edge and a chance to see how well he can "run with the ball". I never thought Edge could be a major player, but his feud with Cena made me see things.....clearly.

I'm going to say Jeff Hardy on this one. From the Hardy Broz vs. The Brood, to Jeff vs. Edge vs. HHH. They revolutionized the ladder match, made the TLC match, faced off for numerous championships, and had amazing storylines together.

John Cena is close, but Edge vs. Jeff Hardy has a much longer history, where you never knew who would come out on top. While with Cena, it was mostly predictable who would win(i.e. WrestleMania 25, Unforgiven 2006).

I'm going to agree and say John Cena. Although i want to state i don't believe that was his best rivalry. Cena was his best rival but the matches and over all storylines was better with Undertaker. I'm saying Cena is his best rival for how personal it was in the storyline. How he hated John Cena.

This is a tough question to answer, because every rivalry Edge had was phenomenal, the one with John Cena was his first main event feud, and solidified him a a main event superstar, they brought the best out of eachother, he was that good, hell, even his rivalry with the anonimus GM (lap top) was great (very funny).
His triple threat feud with the Undertaker and Batista is the one that cemented his career and made him one of the best heels in the business in my opinion, his feud with Triple H wasn't that long, but it was fun to watch, specialy the day he was going to marry Vicky Guerrero, the videos were very funny, and they had great matches as well, let's not forget about the feud with Mick Foley that led to the awesome match at Wrestlemania, and also the one that he had against Jericho was great, i also remember the rivalry with Eddie Guerrero, their matches were amazing, they had one of the best ladder matches in history, and i remember i got to see that match live on a Smackdown episode, like i said, he was that good, let's not forget the tag team feuds too, he practicly reinvented the tag team division with Christian and had great feuds with the Hardys and the Dudleys, but if i have to choose just one, call me sentimentalist, but i would have to say the one with John Cena, because that is the one that got him started on his way to greatness........

The 2 men I think of when I think of Edges greatest feuds are Jeff Hardy and John Cena. Jeff Hardy and Edge's feud started when the two were apart of the initial TLC matches, and they elevated each other in tag team successes. John Cena helped Edge elevate himself to greatness as a singles superstar.

Jeff Hardy, their rivalry was take to a very personal. They fought each other during their tag team runs as Hardy Boyz and E & C. Can't forget they fought over Lita for the longest time. Hardy went to TNA and returned back to WWE and continued to fued with Edge. The moment that made this choice for me was when Hardy could've won Money in the Bank but instead jump off the ladder and sent Edge straight through another ladder.

This was a good thread and I had trouble picking his rival since any rivalry with Edge is AMAZING.

John Cena, hands down. He was the first real guy WWE let go over Cena on more than oone occasion. Edge's main event run and subsequent breakthrough was during his feud with Cena.

If I were being unbiast, The Undertaker.

That feud propelled Edge to the Upper-Echelon of stars. It got him a world title Main Event at Mania 24, a very memorable HiaC w/Taker and multiple world titles.

For complete opposites, they meshed almost TOO well.

Persoanlly though, Chris Jericho/Edge is my favorite rivalry!

EVERY time these two were in the ring together it was just awesome! Their feud at Mania 26 starting almost a year prior with the breif formation of them as tag team partners (My Favorite Pairing EVER!) and ended with not only a suprising win by Jericho but that EPIC spear off of the table!

He’s had great feuds.
I have to go with Cena, their battles against each other were what solidified him as a true main eventer. He was great on the mike, solid in the ring and he just knew how to be heel.

I think his work with Angle got him a lot of notice as a single’s competitor and were probably my favourite matches

He carried the feud he had with Batista, (as did JBL and Booker T) so that has to mentioned. His matches with Taker really inspired. You could put Edge in a feud with any one and he would deliver remarkable results.

Edge really did have great feuds. I loved his feud with Angle that ended with Angle getting his head shaved, but for me his top feud is with Cena. Cena, I believe put Edge over the top as a main eventer. Edge was the first to really get some wins against Cena, and I think it was the feud that really catapulted Edge over the top.

Matt Hardy. The feud with his return was awesome. Def. the hottest angle in all of wrestling for a minute. Shame how things have turned out for M. Hardy and what a douche he has become; this should have been the feud to sky rocket him to the main event!

John Cena. Peroid.

It was Cena whom Edge first feuded when he started breaking out into the main event picture. He wasn't a credible main eventer to me during that time, but Cena helped him transform into WWE's Top Heel of 2006, replacing Triple H in the process (especially since the latter turned face to reunite with Shawn Michaels) and one of WWE's Top Heels of All Time. In fact, he became Cena's perfect foil, Cena's Roddy Piper if you will.

Hell, even Edge himself said that Cena was his greatest rival.

Jeff Hardy, their rivalry was take to a very personal. They fought each other during their tag team runs as Hardy Boyz and E & C. Can't forget they fought over Lita for the longest time. Hardy went to TNA and returned back to WWE and continued to fued with Edge. The moment that made this choice for me was when Hardy could've won Money in the Bank but instead jump off the ladder and sent Edge straight through another ladder.

This was a good thread and I had trouble picking his rival since any rivalry with Edge is AMAZING.

um that was Matt Hardy not Jeff Hardy that was the love triangle with Edge and Lita.

agree though that the Hardyz and Edge and Christian had to be the greatest rivalry as far as Tag Team division goes as for the question at hand, John Cena would be my answer as it's obvious, they fought for several yearsm Undertaker was a great rivalry but it was brief, Cena was long lasting like Cena vs Triple H was. and vs Cena is what put Edge in the main event

Storyline wise I have to go with Cena. Their feud was great and had some very good moments. There was very good chemistry between them you could tell just by looking that they enjoyed working with each other. Their promos were gold and they managed to bring themselves to their best.

Match wise I have to go with Undertaker. They had incredible matches and even a Wrestlemania classic. The feud with Taker made Edge a permanent main eventer.

This was a tough one between John Cena, Jeff Hardy and The Undertaker.

I am going with Undertaker on this one since I enjoyed all the storylines relating to the feud and enjoyed all of the matches even if some were like count-outs or DQs. The TLC match at One Night Stand 2008 remains a top 10 favourite match of all time for me. The feud also saw Edge being able to look like he could hang with the big dogs and he main-evented Wrestlemania 24 with Taker.

I pick Cena, at least as far as the end of his career, his World Title days in the Rated R SuperStar gimmick. Cena was great on the mic but was a polar opposite of Edge. Think Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes, Hollywood Hogan vs Sting, Austin vs McMahon, Hart vs HBK, two great characters who represented almost total opposites in style and presentation, total culture clash. The Hustle, loyalty, & respect of Cena vs the greed, manipulations, & adult excess of Edge. In the ring Edge played the cowardly but cunning heel perfectly and he brought out the best in Cena.

There were memorable feuds vs The Hardys, Dudleys, DX, Flair (awesome TLC match on Raw, one of the best and most brutal World Title bouts on Raw ever), Taker (great psychology to their WM 24 match, Edge seemingly one step ahead of Taker till the very end) but as a main event star in his prime Edge vs Cena was his best rivalry. Their TLC Match and Edge's Money In The Bank cash in were probably the best moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back