The Worst TV Series of 2013.

LSN80

King Of The Ring
Just like there was a lot of good TV in 2013, there was also a lot of bad. So bad, in fact, that I need to put some thought into it before deciding on a show. That doesn't mean the rest of you can't fill the space simply because I'm indecisive. I'll come back to this in or a day or two, at latest, with my selection(s), but don't wait on me.

Use this thread to honor the worst TV had to offer in 2013.

Under The Dome- I'm a big fan of all things Stephen King. My room is full of his books and DVDs for the movies and TV series based on his books. Carrie, The Shining, The Langoliers, Secret Garden (movie), Secret Window, Secret Garden (the novella), Pet Sematary, Desperation, and Bag Of Bones (the book, not the shitty TV series with Pierce Brosnan). Sometimes I watch the movie or TV series before reading the book or vice versa, but I always do my best to keep up with Stephen King.

With that said, Under The Dome is by far one of the shittiest TV series I've ever seen. When the show was still airing on CBS, I gave up after four or five episodes, but I decided to give it a go again online. Big mistake, and yeah, I gave up towards the end, with two episodes left. The show is loaded with stupid and cliched characters, with Julie and Big Jim leading the pack. Julie is too naive to suspect anything fishy, and Big Jim is the typical greedy and crooked politician. The writing is formulaic, and each episode is so damn boring.

On top of that, Under The Dome is too silly and preposterous, and I can't remember one moment, where I could actually take the show seriously. The ratings for season one were consistently good for the most part, so the renewal for season two doesn't surprise me too much. Still, I have little to no interest in a second season. I've seen the book at Barnes & Noble, and the damn thing looks like an encyclopedia, but it can't be as bad as the show. King praised the show, but he also pointed some noticeable differences between the book and the show.

Longmire- LSN alluded to A&E's unsavory lineup on the best shows thread, and Longmire is at the top of the list for me. Walt Longmire has to be the dullest protagonist on any TV show. Yeah, I understand he's supposed to be the grizzled warhorse with an old school mentality, but I can't think of one memorable moment from Walt in the first or second season. Robert Taylor (Longmire) can't carry the show by himself, and no one from the supporting cast is capable of picking up the slack.

Longmire is the worst example of a random and generic crime drama, featuring pedestrian writing, and a mediocre cast. Both seasons are forgettable, and they're going with a season three now? Unbelievable.

The worst TV show in 2013? That's easy! You need to look no further than Lucky 7!

Lucky 7 was an odd show about 7 gas station employees who win the lottery and discuss their aspirations of what to do with the money, but then they run into some problems. This show was so bad that every other show that ever gets cancelled can look back on their run and say "Well, at least we were better than Lucky 7!". It lasted a grand total of 2 episodes and then it was put out of its misery. That's it. TWO EPISODES! The pilot had the lowest rating of any premiere in ABC history and then after ridiculously low ratings after the second episode, that was it. The show had a very strange premise anyhow and while I never would have expected the plug to get pulled as early as it did, I highly doubted it would make past their first season.

Hasn't 2 Broke Girls been consistently the worst TV show, at least from what I've heard, since it started in 2011? While I've not personally seen it, anytime it's mentioned it gets terrible feedback aside from Kat's boobs.

Speaking of cancelled shows, I forgot about Red Widow. Radha Mitchell is a solid supporting actress, but she is not capable of carrying a movie or show as the main character, at all. Anyway, I took a chance on Red Widow, because the constant advertising got to me after a while, and the premise of a normal woman taking her deceased husband's spot in organized crime to protect her loved ones was intriguing enough.

Red Widow being way, WAY too sanctimonious was one of the more noticeable problems, and each episode reeked of a snobbish superiority complex. On top of that, the show was too greedy. We're supposed to sympathize with Radha Mitchell as the caring housewife, AND a woman who works with the mob at the same time? No, I'm sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too, and I'm not surprised ABC cancelled the show after one season.

I have 2 choices.

1.Defiance. Utter crap. Every time you think its over theres just another scene. Torturous.

2. Game of thrones. Yes it has a lot of nudity and a huge cult following especially because of the books but showing a few sets of titties and the occasional thatch work rug isn't enough to make an English accent medieval pile of fantasy bullshit smell any better.
There I said it one time, game of thrones nerds can hate me if they like. It is what it is.

Ironside. Not the well acclaimed classic, but the remake that died with only three episodes to it's name. It was monotonous, and horribly casted. A wheelchair bound detective should have been the role of a lifetime and they fall to cliché acting and writing. 3 episodes, guys.

2. Game of thrones. Yes it has a lot of nudity and a huge cult following especially because of the books but showing a few sets of titties and the occasional thatch work rug isn't enough to make an English accent medieval pile of fantasy bullshit smell any better.
There I said it one time, game of thrones nerds can hate me if they like. It is what it is.

I respect your opinion of not liking a show, yeah, but how does this even top the worst shows of 2013? And have you seen the other shows they run on HBO? They all have tits and neat rugs. Does True Blood and Boardwalk Empire belong on your list if that's your only criteria?

Ironside. Not the well acclaimed classic, but the remake that died with only three episodes to it's name. It was monotonous, and horribly casted. A wheelchair bound detective should have been the role of a lifetime and they fall to cliché acting and writing. 3 episodes, guys.
What makes it even worse is that it was named one of the most anticipated shows of the year by nearly every critic site. And like you said, it was cliched, but even worse, it was dull. For me, there's nothing worse then bad then boring, and the one episode I caught was downright boring.

For me, it came down to a few shows, three of four which pain me greatly to include here, as they're favorites that have fallen off the cliff, to me.

Psych: Show #1 that saddens me to include. It's time for the boys of Santa Barbara to call it quits, I'm sad to say. As anyone on this site who knows me knows, Psych used to be one of my favorite shows. This past year did a complete 180 in changing my opinion. Never before has a show relied so much on its guest stars to carry its major players, and Shawn(James Roday) has gone from being legitimately funny to an annoying dousche. The physical comedy that used to be funny from Dule Hill has now gotten repetitive, and the only thing holding this show together is the chemistry between Roday and Hill. As for continuity , Juliet finds out after seven seasons that Shawn is a fake psychic, dumps him in a furious rage...then reconciles with him three episodes later? It's insulting to my intelligence. Psych the Musical was on Sunday Night, and I could hardly be arsed to watch it until last night. It wasn't bad, but was on par with Season 7, simply that it was uneven. As for Season 8, other then what should be another fun appearance by Cary Elwes, I'm not looking ahead to its new season come January.

The Glades : Where to begin? Another uninspired show from A&E. They brought in Taylor Cole for Season 3, only to abruptly remove her for Season 4. She was truly the first thing about the show to make it interesting, and its as if when she was apart of the cast, the writers were inspired, as the cases were intriguing as well. But in Season 4, the cases that Jim Longworth(Matt Passmore) solved as head detective took a backseat on most occasions to his wedding plans with Callie(Kiele Sanchez), and they were predictable, and for the most part, boring. The show somehow ran four seasons before getting the axe, and it ended on a cliffhanger, with Jim shot by a mysterious intruder in the new home he had just bought for he and Callie, leaving his survival and his shooter forever a mystery. The show was cancelled three days after the season finale aired, so why not pull the plug sooner, rather then airing a finale they knew they'ld never be following up on? It was one of the few interesting things about Season Four, and they even managed to mess that up. As the case with Shawn on Psych, Jim's smart-arse act grew old in Season Four, in part because the rest of the cast was a charisma-void that he couldn't play off of. I'm not sad to see it go, but it would have been nice to get some closure.

Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-5a were great, this was bad. John 8:28(You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free) was a great episode, but it was the exception rather then the rule. There was too much talking and not enough acting, and while Kurt Sutter had a lot of balls to kill off two of his main characters in Clay and Tara, but how they got there was poor. Why was Tara truly killed here? In the SOA world, it wasn't because of Gemma's false beliefs, it was to expand Jax's suffering. In the SAMCRO world, all that's left is suffering, and it's hard to sit through as they talk endlessly about said suffering. I've loved Sons of Anarchy for 4 and 1/2 seasons, so the past season and a half have been hard to swallow. If it weren't for Season 7 putting the show out of its misery, I probably wouldn't hang with it another year. They're setting it up so the finale comes down to Jax vs. Gemma, which is something I've never wanted to see. But at this point, where else can they go? This is another show that pains me to include, because it once was a favorite of mine.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: I barely laughed this past season, which is never a good sign for a show that used to be one of my favorite comedies. Flowers For Charlie was excellent, the rest, mostly a mess of rehashed acts and seemingly insider jokes amongst the cast that their audience is too 'dumb' to get. There were glimmers of the old Sunny here, but like SOA, it's grown long in the tooth. My wife(and most die-hard Sunny fans, I imagine) disagrees with me vehemently, but when I break it down, I didn't laugh much. And I love Sunny. I'm not attached to it the way I am serials Psych and SOA, but I still miss what it used to be.

I'm gonna throw Dads out there.

I actually enjoy Seth Green(for shame I know), so I put aside my reluctant to watch anything on Fox that isn't animated and gave the show a chance. I regret it. I'm of the belief that anything can be funny in the right situation. I've laughed at rape jokes, racist jokes, Holocaust jokes, 9/11 jokes, ect. You name a horrible event/idea and I've laughed at it. I'm not ashamed of it and I'm not above laughing at something I find funny, but this show does its best to cram every offensive stereotype into a thirty minute episode, to the point of it being unfunny. Unsurprisingly the show's executive producer is Seth MacFarlane, who it seems in recent years has gone from being genuinely funny to just trying his best to push the boundaries of what is and isn't allowed on TV.

As far as non new shows, Community. I love Community, but without series creator Dan Harmon, too often the show's fourth season fell flat. There were a couple of solid episodes, but the season as a whole was sub par for what was in my opinion one of the best comedies on TV. Hopefully the fifth season with Harmon back is better, but with Donald Glover only appearing in a few episodes and Chevy Chase being gone completely I have my doubts.

Honorable mention to any "reality" series that E! ran.

IronsideI respect your opinion of not liking a show, yeah, but how does this even top the worst shows of 2013? And have you seen the other shows they run on HBO? They all have tits and neat rugs. Does True Blood and Boardwalk Empire belong on your list if that's your only criteria?

I don't not like it because it has tits and neat rugs, thats the only thing good about it.

The point I was trying to make is that it takes more than that to make a pile of english accent, medieval fantasy world bullshit a good show.

To your other question no I haven't seen the other shows, I only see shows my girlfriend makes me watch so fair point but I can only comment on what I have seen.

The worst TV show in 2013? That's easy! You need to look no further than Lucky 7!

Lucky 7 was an odd show about 7 gas station employees who win the lottery and discuss their aspirations of what to do with the money, but then they run into some problems. This show was so bad that every other show that ever gets cancelled can look back on their run and say "Well, at least we were better than Lucky 7!". It lasted a grand total of 2 episodes and then it was put out of its misery. That's it. TWO EPISODES! The pilot had the lowest rating of any premiere in ABC history and then after ridiculously low ratings after the second episode, that was it. The show had a very strange premise anyhow and while I never would have expected the plug to get pulled as early as it did, I highly doubted it would make past their first season.

Gotta agree here. I think the premise was actually pretty good but the acting and writing was just God-awful. First of all, there were no recognizable actors/actresses in this. Secondly, the plot was convoluted and the characters were a mishmosh of stereotypes.

I think the general concept of employees down on life winning the lottery COULD work, just not with the people they used and the story they used. I would have used a more serious storyline, rather than trying to be comedic with some drama mixed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back