• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The World TV Championship Is "Dormant"

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
ImpactWrestling.com said:
Kurt Angle was named as the Executive Director of TNA Wrestling this past week on Impact Live by the TNA Board of Directors and he’s already making changes.* Effective today – the TNA World TV Title is now inactive.*

What does this mean?* We reached out to Kurt Angle for a comment.

Kurt – “The TV Title was left dormant by the Dixie Carter and MVP administrations for over a year.* Taking over as Executive Director has required me to fix issues they left behind.* Championships are the reward of competition inside the ring between wrestlers striving to be the best.* As of now, the TV Title is inactive.* I’m looking for our roster to step up their level of competition and wrestle on a higher level for the World Heavyweight, X-Division, Knockout and World Tag Team Championships.”

Every summer, the value of X-Division Championship is raised as that champion is given the choice of cashing in that title for a shot at the World Title at Destination X (July 31st on Spike TV).* Kurt’s focus on championship competition starts with this Thursday at 9/8c on Spike TV with Kurt Angle’s Red, White and Blue Throwdown.* Angelina Love will defend the Knockouts Title against Gail Kim.* The Wolves will defend their World Tag Team Titles and World Heavyweight Champion Lashley will defend against former Champion Eric Young.

Kinda fishy that a title that was totally ignored and left for dead was just randomly mentioned today. Yeah, I feel this is TNA setting up for its return while not mentioning that they'll bring it back right away since they have 6 weeks to get through.

Yeah, they were abysmal booking it from 2010 onward. But just like back then, their midcard is aimless today and way too loaded with Heavyweights to use the X Division title at that capacity. If TNA would actually remember to put the title on someone worth it, they'd have a great midcard instead of handing it to fucking Devon or Robbie E.

Just look at ECIII right now. How fitting would he be with a title? He's too green for the World title. Midcard title? Perfect. Or Samoa Joe. He had a cup of tea with it and he looked great as the king of the midcard.

So with a hopefully better sense of mind now. One more try? The physical belt is also the coolest belt I've ever seen.

I don't watch TNA regularly enough to care, but I remember someone saying Abyss took the title to the "abyss" as a means of getting rid of it. I really like Abyss, but that was just a really dumb way to go about it. And how are Dixie Carter and MVP responsible for something that was supposedly taken to the "abyss"? I would rather TNA introduce a new title, maybe equivalent to WWE's defunct Hardcore Championship, than bring back the TV Championship. Besides, I've always hated the idea of the TV Title. Can't all titles be defended on TV?

Not clearly defining what the TV title meant in the big picture was a detriment from the get go. Add to the fact that the medium for viewing isn't even limited to Television anymore and the overall concept of the TV Title (10 Minute Time Limit / Beat the Clock) is outdated - it's a good thing they booted it. And fine that they waited a year. They did it. I'll give them credit. They actually wrapped up a story.

TNA Creative needs to clearly define what the "X-Division" is, how it differs from the main championship and where it falls in the rankings. Why can a singles competitor get multiple shots at the main championship, but the X-Division champ can only get one if he gives up his championship. This doesn't make any sense. Why the hell would anyone want the X-Division Title. Isn't the goal to become heavyweight Champion?

I hear adjectives and phrases like: High Spots, Better Athleticism, Faster Style, Cruiserweights. This isn't the wrong way to differentiate from the heavyweight championship. It stigmatizes those wrestlers while diminishing the value of the heavyweight style.

I think the X-Division should be defined as the following:

1. Match types (1-1, triple threat, 4-way) will always be determine randomly
2. The title is defended on every televised show
3. There's a 10-minute time limit for every match.
4. Anyone can compete for the championship

Well despite no mention of the belt on Impact for the last few months, the website still listed Abyss as champ and the title was never officially made defunct, inactivated, or vacated.

I think this is truly just a loose end that TNA wanted to tie up by making this belt disappear. I doubt there is any plan for it to return anytime soon and this is a way to stress that.

With this announcement I think TNA is attempting to demonstrate that they plan to put a real focus on each belt that is active going forward and truly try to build and focus on each division. And getting rid of the "other" midcard title is a way to start to lean some shine to the remaining midcard or "alternative" title- the X-Division belt. I think, like most years, TNA is going to try and sell us on the fact that the X title won't simply get pulled out and emphasized just for the Destination-X build, only to be thrown aside again once that event fades into the rear view.

I think part of the reboot is to actually attempt to return the X-Division title to the level that it once represented in the company, and hopefully follow suit with the tag titles as well. And if, and only if, that can actually be achieved, then perhaps bringing back out the TV title(or debuting a new midcard title) will be a possibility.

Kurt Angle said:
I’m looking for our roster to step up their level of competition and wrestle on a higher level for the World Heavyweight, X-Division, Knockout and World Tag Team Championships.”

That sounds all well and good, but we'll see if these are false promises or if TNA really commits to trying to pull it off this time around.

This was long overdue! That championship never had real value. When it was conceived as the Legends Championship in 2008 it was done to placate Booker T, who wanted a run with the World Title.

The TV title has been an afterthought for so long; i figured they already "retired" it. While I did enjoy Devon's first run with the belt and it being defended weekly, at the time there was quite a bit going on. Hogan got his share of TV time, Gut Check was happening, and the like. It's odd that the notion of the title being put on the shelf is being mentioned now. Chances are it could conceivably make a comeback in the future, but maybe it's best to stick with the championships they have now.

The progress ECIII and others have had in TNA's mid card despite not having their own title to chase is proof in the pudding it's simply not needed. TNA have two hours every week of American television to work with — all with which to cover a World, X, Tag and Knockouts title. Frankly, that's perfect, and if this is their way of shoring up any dangling loose ends with it, then so be it. Go be dormant... forever.

Does anyone think they should consider booting the X-Division title and wiping the slate clean? From a branding perspective, they really should stress the concept of "X". I am sure they were thinking 'X-games' or "Generation X" when they conceived the title. They wanted something to sound cool but no definition.

I'm not sure this is the thread for the 1000th go around of this discussion. Some people will just never really get it, it's not for them. But the fact is, the X-Division has a clear idea behind it. Its not a cruiserweight belt, though it does embody what many perceive as a traditionally more cruiserweight style.

What you said that I bolded is completely correct. The name concept was derived off the x-games, and the similarity in that the style of the division is intended to reflect the feel of action sports; making it an essential part of the identity of a company with the word "Action" in its name.

More definition? You've heard Tenay say it hundreds of times- "It's not about weight limits, its about No Limits". Basically it exists to represent and showcase an alternative style; faster paced, quicker and stiffer and more creative striking, more aerial, more transitions, more high-spots, etc.; also blending classicly European, puro, and/or lucha styles in with the more North American style. In fact the style that was forseen as the X-division in many ways is what the dominant style of the modern American indy-circuit has developed into(not coincidentally as many of the same men have defined both).

As long as these differences can be clearly seen in the style that is being worked during X-Division matches, then the Division is displaying its identity. Its why guys like Samoa Joe, or more recently Brian Cage, can fit into the division without feeling out of place despite being far larger than any weight limit that could restrain the division from fully serving its purpose.

Division specific rules for this belt are not needed and have never worked in the past. It's a case of overthinking. Its not for everybody, some people just won't get it.

As for this:
Why can a singles competitor get multiple shots at the main championship, but the X-Division champ can only get one if he gives up his championship.

Even if you do see the X belt as more of an alternative title than a true mid-card title, the World title is always intended to be THE top prize. Not just any singles competitor can get "multiple shots at the main championship". Ideally, World title shots have to be earned and are reserved for only the very top of the food chain. The man holding the X-Division title the show before Destination-X is rewarded with the opportunity to sacrifice his title for a coveted headlining spot where he can become World Champion.

So, here's some logic to chew on...
Why the hell would anyone want the X-Division Title? Isn't the goal to become heavyweight Champion?

If the answer to your second question is "yes", wouldn't the Option-C stipulation that you were just discussing be the answer to your first?

This doesn't make any sense.
Or does it? ;)

It doesn't bother me that they got rid of the Television title. I just realized a few weeks ago that it even existed still and that's because I was on TNA's website looking at the roster and saw that Abyss was the "champion".

Really for a title that hasn't been around all that long and went through three name changes in that time doesn't say much about it. I get that it was the Legends title for Booker and then the Global title after that for someone I don't remember. (Wasn't the gimmick that it would only be defended outside the United States?) Then they tried to legitimize it by branding it the Television title and it didn't really take off.

I bet a lot of casual fans don't even know it existed.

I vaguely remember the TV Title's last appearance on iMPACT. If memory serves, Devon was the TV Champ for a while; when the A&8s were still "running wild" in the last year of Hogan's time as iMPACT's GM.

Towards the end of "The Hogan Era", Chris Parks' main TV character was "Joseph Park" (Abyss' "brother"), but they kept teasing a split personality story arc for Abyss/Joseph. They went as far as having Abyss and Joseph appear in the ring at the same time at one point, although "Fake Abyss" had his back to the camera the entire time (never showing his face). I think that only happened once, but I might be wrong. They could have done something with that, figuring out who was running around as "fake Abyss"; but they never went down that road. No one broke kayfabe about Abyss on TV until a while later (Bad Influence was playing "detective" for a little while, but it was EY who eventually ripped Abyss' mask off and "proved" they were the same person). A "fake Abyss" story could have been interesting, but it seemed to be dropped immediately - much like the "Imposter Kane" story was dropped in the WWE (I think that was due to a lack of fan interest).

A quick google search just told me that Abyss won the TV Championship at Slammiversary on July 6th, 2013 (over a year ago). Again - if memory serves, I believe that Abyss made an appearance on a following episode of iMPACT with the title belt (even though Chris Parks' main character was still Joseph Park). Maybe it was that Devon had a TV Title rematch or something? That story could have led to Devon's retirement as well...I don't remember the context, but obviously the last time we saw that particular belt on TV was during the Summer of 2013.

When the red leather strap first appeared on iMPACT, the belt was called the "Legends Title". It was introduced by Booker T, while he was a member of the original Main Event Mafia (again, if memory serves). The belt seemed like a vanity piece; just a prop for Booker to throw over his shoulder. It's introduction to TNA seemed similar to the "Million Dollar Belt"; a belt that would live & die with Booker T (or at least stay on a member of the "Mafia"). When the Legends belt did change hands, it seemed like a joke even then (I think the first title change involved AJ Styles trying to "prove" he actually was a "Legend" - or something equally dumb).

I think it was Eric Young who announced the Legends Title name change, and the newly labeled "Global Title" caused an uproar here in the forums ("Global Title" was too close to "World Title", and similar gripes). I don't remember when it was renamed the "Television Championship" for sure, but I know it was before Hogan and Bischoff's arrival. One of Hogan's first appearances on iMPACT had him announcing that the TV Title would be defended every week, like "the good old days" (or something to that effect). Obviously that didn't last long, although his other "big announcement" (the return of a conventional four-sided ring) did stick for a while...even though it's been officially announced that six-sides is soon to return.

Enough of my stupid recollection of TNA history. My hope is that the TV title has finally been abolished. I think it's good timing too, since Angle is now "in charge". I just looked at tna's official website as well, and saw that Abyss is no longer listed as the TV Champ. It was pretty silly to see Abyss on the official TNA site as the TV Champ, especially during the time that Chris was portraying "Joseph Park" primarily (and only appearing as Abyss sporadically). It was also weird to see Abyss return on a more full-time basis without the title belt.

My hope is that this announcement means that a new title may be introduced to TNA/iW soon. The X-Division Title is a great midcard title, but it has the stigma of being a "Cruiserweight"(ish) belt. Bischoff even put a 220 lb weight limit (give or take) on the XD title at one point, and again - Abyss was involved with that storyline as well (I believe it was after Abyss lost the title, as a member of "Immortal" that the weight limit was introduced). The weight limit was eventually dropped (thank God), but within another year they tried a bunch of other gimmicks (only triple-threats, the ref-cam, etc). None of those gimmicks stuck either, thank God.

Maybe if a new midcard title is introduced, they might be able to make it meaningful. A title that was renamed twice (such as the Legends/Global/TV Title) just isn't able to gain any credibility, especially given the way it was originally introduced. The Television Title will always be viewed as nothing but a prop, no matter who is defending it. TNA might never be able to introduce a new relevant midcard title, but the time is nigh (if they're going to try). If a new midcard title is introduced, they shouldn't just "give" it to a wrestler either (à la Booker T). They should have a somewhat lengthy tournament (similar to WWE's King of the Ring, for instance), and have each participant stress how important it is to be the very first to hold this new championship. They might be able to get a new belt over that way; at least it would be more over than the Legends/Global/TV title ever was. I doubt they can ever introduce a new, significant title on par with the WWE's IC Title (or WCW's US Title)...but maybe they can make one look close to WCW's TV Title, or the WWF's European title. It might be impossible for them to make a belt seem more important than the XD Title, but another midcard belt (more geared towards heavyweight wrestlers) could make things more interesting.

Whether the TV Title returns or a new title is introduced, the most important thing for them to do is make it actually seem important to the wrestlers to hold it. That wasn't done with the Legends title at first, and that stink followed the title ever since. If a new title isn't made/introduced, then focus more on the XD title for God's sake (and forget about the TV Title all together). Ever since Bischoff put the weight limit on it, it's seemed like a glorified Cruiserweight title. Treat it like the IC belt was treated in the 80s & 90s: a point of pride that every wrestler strives to reach (almost as much as the WHC). "Option C" was a good bump for the title, but it needs more than a gimmick. Whatever midcard title they're going for needs to have a believability factor to it, and that starts with making the fans believe that the wrestlers want to hold the championship more than anything (sans the WHC, of course). Two midcard titles might be overkill anyway (since their roster is more sparse than the WWE's, and might be more so once GFW gets going), so maybe it's better if this is the last time the TV title is ever mentioned.

Not clearly defining what the TV title meant in the big picture was a detriment from the get go. Add to the fact that the medium for viewing isn't even limited to Television anymore and the overall concept of the TV Title (10 Minute Time Limit / Beat the Clock) is outdated - it's a good thing they booted it. And fine that they waited a year. They did it. I'll give them credit. They actually wrapped up a story.
WCW was the only place that did that gimmick. No other company, not even TNA did it.
TNA Creative needs to clearly define what the "X-Division" is, how it differs from the main championship and where it falls in the rankings. Why can a singles competitor get multiple shots at the main championship, but the X-Division champ can only get one if he gives up his championship. This doesn't make any sense. Why the hell would anyone want the X-Division Title. Isn't the goal to become heavyweight Champion?

I hear adjectives and phrases like: High Spots, Better Athleticism, Faster Style, Cruiserweights. This isn't the wrong way to differentiate from the heavyweight championship. It stigmatizes those wrestlers while diminishing the value of the heavyweight style.

I think the X-Division should be defined as the following:

1. Match types (1-1, triple threat, 4-way) will always be determine randomly
2. The title is defended on every televised show
3. There's a 10-minute time limit for every match.
4. Anyone can compete for the championship

It's a Cruiserweight title without a weight limit. What more explanation does it need? Its been given "definitions" in the past to atrocious results each and every time. A title is defined by the wrestlers who fight for it. Regardless of it's name.

Tu Pai, KJ and Whosnext98, thank you for replying to this thread.

First off, saying it's a 'cruiserweight title with no weight limit' just shows how poorly defined the title is. Every title name typically needs no explanation (World, Intercontinental, United States, etc.) An "X" provides no parameters, hence an explanation is needed and then reinforced to old viewers and new. TNA made a conscious decision to explain the deactivation of the TV Title and so now would have been a perfect and relevant time to help clear up what makes the X-Division special.

The NWA TV title during the 80's always had a 10-minute time limit or if at the end of a program would get the remaining time.

Not everyone is as savvy as 'die-hard' wrestling fans who discuss the mechanics of each promotion on a wrestling board. I would love to see TNA succeed, but its clear to me that they don't have a lot of in-house experience doing branding and messaging. You have to market to the lowest common denominator.

There's a reason why they re-cap past events at the beginning of each show. They should make it easy for people to become invested in the product. Certainly that mechanism makes it easier -- but again -- titles are an easy aspect for which to hook people because they mark who is the best (or should be).

"A cruiserweight title with no weight limit" is actually not that far off IMO, but I'd simply describe it to any fan as TNA's version of an Intercontinental title, in that it's used to vault performers into the main event/World title scene along with Option C that occurs every year at Destination X. In the past, it's been predominantly a true cruiserweight title, in that the men who often competed for it were clearly not Heavyweights (outside of Samoa Joe), but over the years it's taken on a clearer definition of being an Intercontinental title that is often defended and fought over by fast-paced, high-flying, flashy mid-card wrestlers.

Time limits in accordance with a title is useless. What belt, outside a television title, in the last 30 years has had an enforced time limit associated with it? That makes no sense. Matches get time limits. Titles do not. They are usually defined more closely to weight class.

Now, before anyone comes in telling me how much of an idiot I am for calling the X Division title TNA's Intercontinental, because the IC title has so much more prestige, etc. Yeah, that's fine and dandy and all, but it's also got 35 years of exposure, and if you look over the list of winners of that title, especially when juxtaposed against the other half of WWE's roster at the time, it has usually found it's way around the waist of smaller, flashier wrestlers looking to elevate themselves into a World title picture that their size says they don't belong in. In fact, if you think back to the most popular IC champions, tell me who made sense in a "Heavyweight" division, had they never won it in the first place — Bret Hart? Shawn Michaels? Chris Jericho? Owen Hart? Edge? Chris Benoit?

I know there are Rock's and Austin's and the like in there as well, but the same then holds true for TNA with their own internal heavyweights who've stepped in and won the XD title — guys like Samoa Joe, Kazarian, Kurt Angle (technically), Doug Williams, Rob Van Dam, etc.

Pre-1990 the time limits were used in the NWA and the AWA even in matches without a TV title. Pre-Junior I seem to recall them being used in the WWF as well.
ROH also uses time limits in their matches- 15 for the TV title, 45 for the Tag and 60 for the World.

Although using time limits properly means almost never having matches go to a time limit.

Technically, every match has a time limit... but this isn't the place to discuss it. As for the X-Division thing, it's not hard to figure out. It's not about weight limits, experience level, or even how many times you've been fired... hypothetically it's about being the best around. Just like the Intercontinental Title, it's a belt used to plateau competitors into the main event. Only, after having so many cruiserweights come and go, it's been considered as merely a cruiserweight title. But in reality it's more of an Intercontinental.

As to the TV title, I never had a problem with two mid-card titles. In my opinion, there's really not much of a prestige difference unless you're world champion or world tag champion. Anything else is beneath the standard and really shouldn't matter as much. The WWE treated the European and IC titles as equals all through their existences, as they do now with the US and IC. I have no problem with TNA doing the same with X-Division and TV Titles.

I do have a problem with the name. Personally, I loved the idea of the Global title. It sounded more like an IC title alternative to me.

If by that you mean it is dead, yup just like the knockout tag team belts. Simple case of trying to add titles when they weren't needed thinking it would make the company look important. I would like for TNA to have a secondary title because it would give an automatic storyline for a lot of guys but the X title has kind if taken over that role which is unfortunate. I don't think TNA creative actually know what to do with an extra title so between that and them only having one main 2-hour show, probably best it just gets forgotten for now.

I agree with this previous comment that retiring the TV title should be the catalyst for something different. I will try and start a new topic that has wider discussion parameters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back