The Witness

enviousdominous

Behold my diction
This is a game for people like me, it is absolutely stunning and is a rare reminder of what a genuine mental challenge feels like. The Witness utilizes a very simple puzzle scheme, and employs devices that make you smarter for playing it.

In this game, you're you. I imagine that you play as yourself from within your own mind, running through a wondrous island paradise in a rare moment of free and somewhat lucid dreaming. The world is yours to interact with at your leisure, and as you examine your surroundings you'll chase hunches and advance toward a state of enlightenment that no other game has ever allowed anyone to experience.

Perspective plays a huge part in your experience in this game, sometimes as a means of unlocking hidden content and sometimes just to make you stop and contemplate what you see for your own satisfaction.

I recommend having your smart phone and laptop in a different room. I found myself getting burned out very often; rest assured that if you play and can't -- for that moment -- complete a puzzle, there is no shame in taking a long break. Let every puzzle be the puzzle for that moment. While you'll likely coast through certain areas, the difficulty builds significantly in ways that had me cursing myself for scoffing earlier at what I thought was the game's simplicity.

It can take a long time to complete this game without hints, it took me longer than I care to admit. I was convinced that a challenge was flat out impossible to complete many times before having either a "EUREKA!" moment or a "How did I not see that!?" moment. With an inconsequential exception, every puzzle in this game can be completed with your patience and mental cognition.

I give this game five stars all the way, and highly encourage that everyone give it a try.

I'd like to share part of my experience playing this game, it's a section that had a level of difficulty so extreme that it replaced conquering Ninja Gaiden as my proudest accomplishment in playing a video game.

*note: Two of the three black/white and multi-color dot puzzles after crossing the bridge are designed to be impossible. You have to find the solvable puzzle to move on. The maze only has one of its monitors turned on at random, so my frantic action in that area is due to the uncertainty of where it is. Another random monitor turns on after you complete the first, and only after completing both will the cylindrical puzzles appear. If the Hall of the Mountain King finished playing, everything would shut down and I'd have to start everything all over again. ALL of the content of the puzzles are randomly generated.

[youtube]Z7ACr3XTYD0[/youtube]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back