• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Undertaker. Man, Myth or everlasting Gimmick?

lenguy

First Immortality..Then the Bitches
Ok so i had this neat little idea while in the shower this morning and the more i thought about it, the more it made sense to me, at least. So we cant really say just how long mean ol Mark Calaway has left before hanging up his boots, we really dont know. But Once that does happen i assure you we can say byebye to Mark and the story line will probailly play off as the Undertaker can now rest in peace. I can see that being a play off for marks retirement. But where does that leave his gimmick when he gone?

Now, to me the undertaker gimmick is something i could see being revisited for awhile, Think about it. Who really is the undertaker?(kayfabe aside) Hes the deadman, the phenom , The demon from death valley. Mark may not be able to rise again, but why not the undertaker gimmick? After an extended amount of time passes why cant somebody else take up the gimmick? Get somebody with the same basic size and look and i think you could pull it off After taker gets tired of "resting in peace" and maybe he awakes with a vengence. Sure most people will notice the change but after awhile i think theyd get use to seeing the deadman character back.

Now I know what your thinking. What about the streak. Well for the shake of this argument, lets say HBK or somebody else beats taker, Streaks over problem solved. Or if that dosent happen. Continue it and then just have him lose or start a whole new WM streak where the fans craniums dont implode when they decide to end it. There are many different ways this could play out.

But this is all what i think, feel free to disagree. This is something i think could work if done right as i feel the deadman gimmick is almost everlasting and can be brought back at any point with a new superstar carrying on the Undertaker legacy. Or they do it, bring it back and its just an epic fail.

What do you guys think? Could the undertaker gimmick be reborn in the future with a new maybe badder superstar behind the role? Or is it better for takers legacy that it just remain as it is once Marks done?

im sorry but that is an aweful idea when mark callaway retires the undertaker retires for good if the wwe try and make a new undertake ill stop looking at it because thats a slap in the face but thats just my opinion

Dude this is just a horrible idea, when Mark retires if they make another man become the Undertaker it would only tarnish the legacy of the gimmick. Not only that the fans would hate the guy who did it because Mark ad to earn his legacy and it would be nothing short of disrespect to just hand it to someone else especially a rookie.

i think the undertakers streak should never end and there should never be any even like the undertaker they already have kane and he is doing pretty good for his role right now but kane is a good heel

Nice idea but the gimmick would probably die with Mark Calaway.It was unique at the time it has started and it would stay that way.Can you imagine that in this time somebody else be "the Deadman" and has creepy man walking behind him with the urn(like in last season of Dexter).Its just dont look beliveble at this time and the kids probably would be having nightmares for days(WWE is still PG show).

I for one like more Mark Calaways "The american badass" gimmick with harley-davidson and all but "the Deadmen" has more belivable entrance(all that dead marsh stuff).I wondered why they didnt go with that one because of PG?

"The Deadman" will retire with Undertaker and it is more apropriate that way but who would know for sure.Batista isnt the first "Animal".I guess we will see what the future holds in the coming years but I personaly believe that it is highly unlikly for WWE to have some other "Deadman" persona simply because of time slot for something like that

I really See WWE Trying To get this "Unstopable Force" reformed as Sheamus. But I dont See them Giving The "deadman" Gimmick to anyone else anytime in the near future. But Going Back To Sheamus, I think They Already Started To give the Dominance Factor To him. WWE has Always had A real Monster, Andre Had It. Undertaker Had it. And Now wheather u like it or not Sheamus may very well have it. And Im Sure Triple H will Allow him to get the victory at Wrestlemania. So Now Sheamus Has A Victory Over Orton, Cena, And Triple H. They Are Forming Him As The Monster of The WWE But not the Deadman.

i don't think the undertaker gimmick would work again. the time he made his debut, wwf was very cartoon like. i don't think a guy literally being a zombie would work today. and if they tried to make it more realistic like some regular dude was just obsessed with death, it would probably come off as a goth gimmick.

when he first started.. i think anyone would have gotten over with that gimmick. while more agile than most big men, he wasn't anything special in the ring, and his mic work back then was mainly having paul bearer do all the talking and him just finish with "rest in peace". he lucked into the gimmick of a lifetime, it wasn't anything he did in particular, he just had "the look"

but over the years, to not only be a big time main event draw, but to do it for so damn long.. and to do it without needing long title reigns, and to do it without all the backstage bullshit that pretty much every other top star from hogan and flair to michaels and hart to triple h and randy orton have been accused of.. i think that speaks volumes about the actual man.

I agree that the "Deadman" gimmick could conceivably be everlasting but I cannot think of one Superstar present or future (other than Taker) that would have quite the success that Mark did. Remember this: the gimmick was debuted in 1990 in a WWF that had gimmicks that were almost bigger than life. Today most over-the-top gimmicks FAIL in the WWE. Sure, places like Mexico and Japan pass their gimmicks down (Black Tiger, Tiger Mask, Dos Caras, and El Hijo de Santo come to mind here) BUT those gimmicks are TRADITIONAL. The Deadman gimmick is not.

Now as far as the streak is concerned: It's a legacy of WM now. Yes, there's suspense of Taker finally losing at WM but the crowd explodes when he DOES pull out a victory. I'd much rather see Taker go 20-0 and then announce that he can finally rest in peace (and proceeds to retire for good, not do a Flair and Hogan)

i dont think it'd work, people know Mark as the Undertaker all too well now, but if kane were to re-mask then that could be done easily with his character, infact i thought that was going to be how it panned out when 'fake kane' happened a few years ago. But everyone knows undertakers face now so i dont think it'd work, plus i think he should just mysteriously vanish in the end rather than having a deffinate end to his story, so kayfabe wise we're never actually certain he's gone

I have no idea why you were thinking of Undertaker while in the shower, LoL, but to respond to your idea, I don't think it'll work the way you think it would. For 2 decades, many generations of WWE fans associate Mark Calloway to the Undertaker persona and to try and sell someone else as the Undertaker would be impossible to do. Not only that, Undertaker was given a ridiculous gimmick and then owned it, turning it into one of the greatest gimmicks ever (in all of its eras) and it would be disrespectful to give the gimmick to someone else.

What COULD work, however, is a recycling of the Undertaker gimmick. Call it something different and change a few things (which is basically what they did when they started the Kane gimmick), and it could work, depending on how well the performer does with it.

Side Note: Does Mark Calloway own any part of the Undertaker name and likenesses like Hulk Hogan owns his?

The Undertaker, not sure if they could pull off a duplicate of the Undertaker, people claim there was 2 Ultimate Warriors or even three over the years claiming the original warrior died and he was replaced so to me yes its possible to have someone mimic the Undertaker and carry on his gimmick, to be the man Undertaker was never will happen.

Many wrestlers have used other gimmicks from older wrestlers, Hogan used the possing I think from super star billy gram, Jessie the body used the tie die from super star billy gram, Rick Flair used the figure four, the blonde hair and robes as play boy buddy rogers I think it was.

Doing the whole Undertaker Gimmick, if they had a guy like before that look really similar to him, they could try it and if it failed they could always loose it.

What they could do to keep the undertaker gimmick going would be have the undertaker get hurt, a light exploding in his face causing him to ware some type of mask to cover part of his face which would allow for another person to take over and allow him to retire, but in order for this to happen this person would have to really study and show he could mimic the undertaker to a T.

as for it being a slap in the face, maybe maybe not, yes the undertaker has built the legenion of the character but thats what it is a character, just like James Bond, how many James bond have their been, how many batman have their been ect.

The Undertaker is such a trademark in WWE that him retiring they would loose a lot of viewers I think because millions love the character, they would be smart to figure out a way to continue his character, pretty much if undertaker had some sort of mask that could hide some of his face then they could bring in another guy down the road, some people would just think he aged or what.

The wwe could pull it off with the help of Mark, providing they decided to do it, have the undertaker retire, go in the hall of fame, later have someone moking the undertaker him come back, get hurt, need a face gear that would suit him and then switch the person.

I think re-doing the Undertaker gimmick would indeed be a slap in the face and it couldn't be done well enough to even lace the boots of the legacy of the original so let's not do that... Instead, I suggest pushing Kane as the successor of taking souls or just that untouchable role in the WWE. It's obvious that the back half starting half way on the top of Kane's head, the hair can grow...I think he would look WICKED with his hair grown out like it used to be and a goatee again with the eye liner look like Taker. Or just keep him like he is and stop making him a midcard guy and put him at the status he deserves. He's Undertaker's brother but Taker's THE legend when Kane's stuck fighting Mr. Woo Woo Woo?? COME ON!!

I agree it shouldnt be done though not bad for a film maybe, but Mark is so perfect with this role and it's a big gamble to have another be as worthy and loyal and not screw up

I even saw a thread in WWE Universe about this and or if they brought in a Son of The Undertaker, I'd rather see that first, atleast it wouldnt be Taker, they'd have their own story & legacy to build though in Taker's shadow, but atleast wouldnt build onto his and have a huge chance of failing not to mention being booed instantly

This is a terrible, and cheap idea. That sounds like a case where creative is getting paid way too much for doing so little work. I mean, I could understand coming up with a gimmick that would reminisce or take a little bit from other gimmicks, but to legit BRING BACK AN OLD gimmick with a new wrestler... that's just a cop out. It leaves the wrestler playing the role riding on the coat-tails of retired people he'll never work with, and will never truly create a name for himself.

It also doesn't make any sense. Undertaker never had any mind-controlling powers.

I can see where you're coming from but the undertaker character will remain exclusive to Calloway. It's been his baby for twenty years at least, they will not snatch it from him now.

What I could see however, is in five/ten years time maybe (obviously dependent on what kind of mood the wrestling scene will be in), is a character based on a zombie/undead/ black magic type gimmick that could be originated to the undertaker but is very much the wrestlers' own character.

It is more than likely you would see, if it were to appear in the next year or two, a young athletic wrestler who has undead type themes to his character but isn't as cartoony or over the top as the undertaker. Its just hinted at in his gear and promos, but wrestlers seem to now adays not so much play characters and play an extended part of themself. So probably a gothic character could come to light that might develop to something similar, Vampiro is the closest example that comes to mind.

If Taker retires, he will go out as the greatest Big-Man of all times. Hes one of the greatest Mainstream Worker of all time. Ask any Worker and the majority of them will tell you that Taker is one of the best.
Anyone who says otherwise must be some backyarder who will get eaten up if they some how get into an actual promotion. We don't like them :)

Taker has one of the best gimmicks of all time, ff not the best ever. People saying his gimmick is boring and sucks, but why does it still works than after nearly 20 years?? LOL.
Its his Ringpsychologie and the way he tells a story in the ring that makes him great. Hes a great Storyteller and performer. He doesnt always follow the traditional 4-step match rules and i have alot of respect for him. Hes a ring general. Hes also the backstage leader. He can have a great match with anyone. Why even people say hes overrated? LOL. Taker put over alot of guys, and has done alot for the business.
These internet people think they know so much about this business, but they don’t Those people really don’t have any effect on what he does. I think a lot of these people are so geared up to the smaller wrestlers, the guys that jump around, that’s the only thing that entertains them. Hes out there to tell a story. These critics don’t affect him. When they say hes old or that I’m slow. I think they forget that hes a six-foot-eight and over 300 pounds.
Undertaker is treated how he deserves because he earned everything.
How dare people call him overrated and critizide him.
I hate those so called typical smart-marks who think they know so much and they know the world and the buisness from everyside.

When you have done what Taker has done for Pro-wrestling, then and ONLY then you have the right to critizide him.
It is a shame that young middle school kids get on here THINKING they know all about Pro Wrestling ..study his background ; know what he has went tru for this sport ..and give the man his praise that he deserves.

Sorry, but I think it would be disrespectful and wrong for anyone but Mark Calloway to be the Undertaker. It may be a very unique gimmick, but that doesn't mean anyone can or should be able to do it. The Undertaker is Mark Calloway, Mark Calloway is The Undertaker, no one else should be.

Don't get me wrong, The Undertaker gimmick is one of the greatest gimmicks ever in pro-wrestling and I will hate to see it go because it has been such a large part of the WWE for so long. And in some selfish way, I would love to keep the Undertaker character in WWE forever because I only started watching in 2004 and missed out on watching so much of his career. But when Mark Calloway retires, so should the Undertaker. The day when this happens will be a very sad day, I can't imagine WWE without the deadman

Personally I think it could happen again (I mean the Undertaker is an awesome gimmick) but at the same time I don't think it wont. What made the Undertaker gimmick was Mark Calloway, people can say whatever they want but at the time he was the only wrestler who could of took that gimmick and made it work. The Undertaker gimmick is one that could have failed like many before it, but Mark was so good that he made it work and he made me a believer, even though he had a silly gimmick (a guy who never got hurt and was undead, that's pretty silly when you think about it) he was so skilled that through his efforts he made the gimmick awesome.

Which brings me to my point, the only way the Undertaker gimmick could live on is if someone can meet the standard set by Mark Calloway and possibly even surpass it. In wrestling you always say "never say never" but in this case I don't think a performer will come along that can fill the shoes of Mark Calloway.

It's an interesting concept, but it's simply too hard to pull off. If the WWE were still a Saturday Morning heavy show, then it would work like gangbusters. Kids would eat it up that the Undertaker is a "spirit" perhaps the possesses a person and moves onto the next host. Over the top, of course, but you're dealing with something (if it works) that you would only have to do once every 20 years or so.

However, the WWE is simply a primetime show. The adult audience that would watch would reject this in a heartbeat.

I could see this working. They would really need to put a story behind it though, and someone defeat him, and bury him or somthing to really put him down, then have some gimmick where someone becomes the new Undertaker, like when One Undertaker is killed, a new one is made....

If Taker retires, he will go out as the greatest Big-Man of all times. Hes one of the greatest Mainstream Worker of all time. Ask any Worker and the majority of them will tell you that Taker is one of the best.
Anyone who says otherwise must be some backyarder who will get eaten up if they some how get into an actual promotion. We don't like them :)

Taker has one of the best gimmicks of all time, ff not the best ever. People saying his gimmick is boring and sucks, but why does it still works than after nearly 20 years?? LOL.
Its his Ringpsychologie and the way he tells a story in the ring that makes him great. Hes a great Storyteller and performer. He doesnt always follow the traditional 4-step match rules and i have alot of respect for him. Hes a ring general. Hes also the backstage leader. He can have a great match with anyone. Why even people say hes overrated? LOL. Taker put over alot of guys, and has done alot for the business.
These internet people think they know so much about this business, but they don’t Those people really don’t have any effect on what he does. I think a lot of these people are so geared up to the smaller wrestlers, the guys that jump around, that’s the only thing that entertains them. Hes out there to tell a story. These critics don’t affect him. When they say hes old or that I’m slow. I think they forget that hes a six-foot-eight and over 300 pounds.
Undertaker is treated how he deserves because he earned everything.
How dare people call him overrated and critizide him.
I hate those so called typical smart-marks who think they know so much and they know the world and the buisness from everyside.

When you have done what Taker has done for Pro-wrestling, then and ONLY then you have the right to critizide him.
It is a shame that young middle school kids get on here THINKING they know all about Pro Wrestling ..study his background ; know what he has went tru for this sport ..and give the man his praise that he deserves.

Its a shame you completely shifted away from the topic. Instead of actually contributing,you just go on a rant about taker taker taker. You've labled out everything most people already know. And middle school kids? i sure as hell hope that wasent directed towards me. Im finished school. And as far as the praise goes. this isent the topic to discuss that on.

Im simply presenting the fact that there is a loop hole in his gimmick which is something that could work in the future if its done right. Your all talking about mark this mark that this is not about mark the man, its about his gimmick as the undertaker. If your going to stick to the rules of the gimmick. Hes a deadman, meaning hes not really alive. Deadmen dont die. its like freddy kruger.How many times have they killed him and yet he just keeps coming back. the undertaker gimmick should work under the same principle.When he retires he just falls dormant for awhile until he decides to rise again, just with all that rest and recoperation he'd came back better than before(i.e younger and maybe more talented) Your all telling me out of 6 billion people on this planet, not one person would be suited for his role? not one? i think thats to many people for an accurate account. i say if i happened once, why not again? tho i really like that idea about the undertakers son. that leaves the door wide open for possibilities i say.

I do agree that it is a shot in the dark. But in theory i really dont see how this couldnt logically work. Someone on this board mentioned the possiblilty of an Undertaker offspring. At least somebody has some creativity and not simply accepting the fact that it simply just wouldnt work no matter what. Its all fine if you dont like my idea. but thats what it just is, an idea. Some of you really need to be more optimistic about things. I like my idea, i think it could very well work fine if done right. But do i actually think it will happen? no i doubt it. Besides..its not like the role of the undertaker requires a masters degree. you talk about darkness and graveyards and take peoples soul. Anybody can master that if they actually took the role seriously like Mark does now. People say you would never be able to replace hulk hogan, i say look at cena. Hes has close to another hogan as were gonna see. I say duplicating the undertaker would be easy, if not easier because his role dosent really go that indepth as some of the current characters and their respective roles. But people will think what they wanna think. Oh well i enjoy the discussion any way.

It was a decent debate.

I've said for years that all The Undertaker amounts to is a gimmick. Nothing more, and nothing less. Sure, it's a great gimmick, but all Mark Calloway has done, for about nineteen years now, is exploit man's natural fear, and consequential interest in death. We fear what we don't know, and thus, The Undertaker has always seemed like such a fascinating character, because of it. You take Mark Calloway away from the gimmick, and he's nowhere near the entertainer that he is with it. See; his stint as The American Badass. People cared for him all of a minute, and then, people realized he just was too fit for that Undertaker character. His promos without the gimmick are far too repetitive, and just not that interesting character. the only time Mark Calloway has been relevant to wrestling is under that gimmick, which is perfectly acceptable.

Now, with all that said, if you're going to try and recreate it, you're simply doing two things:

1. You're showing that you feel The Undertaker wasn't a noteworthy wrestler, and that you can create another one like him without so much as a thought. You're insulting Mark Calloway, and you're building up some poor rookie to a very sure path of failure. No one can simply re-do The Undertaker; asking a rookie to is like leading a lamb to slaughter. We don't like imitation gimmicks as wrestling fans. See; The New Razor Ramon and Diesel. It's just not that great of an idea to re-do a gimmick from a backstage perspective, as it ruins one of your rooks, and is a slap in the face to Mark Calloway, intentional or otherwise

2. You're admitting to the fan that you think he/she is a dumbass. Sure, you can get the same height and weight, but at the end of the day, fans are going to recognize the difference. They did in 1994, when they had a Fake Undertaker running around, and now you're feeding this gimmick to a smarkier fan base, who's even more in the know. Fans will tolerate a lot of stuff, but they don't like to be told they're stupid.

The idea is good, in a kayfabe world, but simply too unrealistic to work now. Too many smarks, too much around the gimmick, and too much that would even be watered down now, as opposed to in 1991, or 1992.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back