The Underrated Musician's Apperication Thread

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
So there are musicians you may like that you feel don't get enough recognition. Well here is the thread to give them that recognition.

It can be a person in a band who's contributions are overlooked or just a musician thats not that well known.

I shall start with the guy in my sig

DJ Ashba

220px-AshbaHelsinkiLive.jpg

Now the guy isn't that well known at large (only really known for being one of the current Guns N Roses guitarists and playing with Nikki Sixx in Sixx AM)
but the guy can play.

[YOUTUBE]QfaCnWNdouY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MJDDxHIaaVk&ob=av2n[/YOUTUBE]

This might sound like an odd name to call under appreciated but I've got to say Ice Cube. His last 3 albums have been masterpieces but haven't got as much love as they should have. People say "How can I take your gangster rap seriously when you're making Disney movies and stuff". I got the answer to that though, listen to his albums. There's a song called "pimp the system" and that's what he's doing. He's getting paid off of Hollywood. In the meantime he's releasing some of the best rap albums out there but doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Here's a few choice tracks from his last album "I Am The West"

[YOUTUBE]cIjJrEA5GwY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]POm5Ewl-IaM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Wmd6dSNgSHA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XBpGczI2Czo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XoCMoTDlLCk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]RgfB0wuykkA[/YOUTUBE]

Puddle Of Mudd
These guys do not get the respect that they deserve, sure they're relatively famous and everyone knows "Blurry" but these guys are practically considered one hit wonders. They have put out nothing but solid albums ever since they started and they're one of those bands whose albums I can listen to completely and enjoy all the songs. I think that they're uber talented and they were outshined by alot of other groups that came out around the same time, but POM is legit and they'll always be one of my favorite bands.

Welcome to another entry in The Underrated Musician's Apperication Thread.

Todays entry is a (former) Guns N Roses member (seem to be talking about them a lot lol)

Izzy Stradlin

tumblr_ljcqg6gmVr1qdr2deo1_500.jpg

Everybody knows about Slash being the guitarist in Guns N Roses, but he wasn't the only one. Izzy Stradlin is in fact one of the original members of the group (Slash wasn't) and he helped write the majority of the songs from Appetite For Destruction to Use Your Illusion. Unfortunatly being rhythm guitarist generally doesn't generally get a lot of praise (people generally clamour for the lead guitiarist ala Slash)

Izzy was such an integral part of the classic line up that when he left (citing complications like Axl Rose being late and general deutschbaggery) it all started to fall apart for the band with all the other members (aside from Axl Rose) leaving eventually.

I've got a band that definitely doesn't get the respect they deserve when in all honest they're one of the better bands out there and the best band I've ever seen live. That's fucking right, it's Fozzy!
Fozzy has been tearing shit up for year now but still has way too many people giving them crap for no good reason, these boys are ultra talented and the most important thing about them is their dedication to the fans and effort to give the people the best they can all the time, I've never seen a band that cared so much about their listeners and concert goers. They have a real passion for the music and bring a feel of true rock & roll and metal that seems to be lost on this time and generation of music unfortunatly.
Ofcourse one important thing about Fozzy that everyone knows is that he's WWE Superstar and legend Chris Jericho, he is my hero and the man who inspired me to follow my dreams and become a fighter. Alot of people complain and say the only reason Fozzy gets any fans is because their lead singer is a famous wrestler, well I will tell you had he not gotten famous as a wrestler I would still be just as big of a fan of Fozzy because they sybolize what being a true musician is about and that's why I love them.

[YOUTUBE]hpqHeXlVup0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Ith229kA4U4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Darling Violetta are definitely underrated. People rant and rave about their one mainstream hit because it was the theme song for a popular TV show when they have other great songs that no one seems to care about. I've tried to get people to listen to them and while I know X has given them a shot in the pass but I'm not sure what he thinks of them now. Other than that no one has really listened to them and this saddens me. This is my latest in my fight to get people to listen to them and I will not give up damnit!

There 1 main stream hit
[YOUTUBE]WPnkB_cKKi8[/YOUTUBE]

A couple other of their songs I love to listen to (the top one is my all time favorite).
[YOUTUBE]c72kRV03_vE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]wO9Vs_ohtRU[/YOUTUBE]

My favorite band Pendulum deserves much more appreciation than what they get. I guess it's because they only appeal to very specific people's taste than a broad range of other's. Most of their songs are electronic but have a rather darker tone than most electronic music, which is used in clubs. They are base in the UK I believe and have produced most of my favorite songs of all time. Here are some of their singles:

[YOUTUBE]jTtexOw5jtI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ogMNV33AhCY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HtY7Szd7WO4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TBJjREXXSyA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]i_5zvV0btCo[/YOUTUBE]

A guy who was in one of the most popular bands in the 1980s. They sold out stadiums and all them did hell raising things. But while the singer, bassist and drummer are all well known, the guitarist isn't. An extremely underrated musician, I give you Mick Mars

mickmars.jpg

Yes the guitarist of Motley Crue. He is extremely underrated, but shouldn't be, he is certainly one of the greatest guitarists of the 1980s (I'll hazard of all time) the guy has played killer riffs over his career, but unfortunatly doesn't get much recognition.

[YOUTUBE]tb95jqsYTm0&ob=av2n[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CmXWkMlKFkI&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XwMjLjB2Hlw&ob=av2n[/YOUTUBE]

These songs are staples of the 80s and Mick riffed the hell out of them. Also there are several hard rock/glam guitarists that were influenced by him (previously mentioned underrated musican DJ Ashba being one of them)

One of my favorite metal bands who make some top notch albums and put on a great live show... I give you.... ICED EARTH!

icedearth2011-1500.jpg

Current line-up with new vocalist Stu Block, who also performs vocals for Into Eternity.

iced-earth-224355.jpg

Most recent line-up before Stu took over vocal duties, with Matt Barlow, often seen as the true voice of Iced Earth, who retired this year to spend time with family and has previously retired from the band once but came back.

These two haven't been Iced Earth's only vocalists, but they're my favorites. Tim "Ripper" Owens sang for them after Barlow retired the first time and they had a couple of singers before Barlow. Below I will post three songs featuring each singer.

Let's start with the current singer, Stu Block!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuwW9IVwZ0U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpsxUxrmeFE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3GO1CfiL0I[/YOUTUBE]

Now moving on to Matt Barlow!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGZ-vEHuwNY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ6hG7XX6zI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btd2KxXOvNc[/YOUTUBE]

I'll probably go with three choices; Anthony Hamilton, Raphael Saadiq and Joe Budden.

Anthony Hamilton has some really quality song...

-They Don't Know.
-Sucka For You.
-Life Has A Way.
-Mad.
-Nowhere Fast. (Featured on the song that he wrote, on Josh Turner's album).

Just to name a few. The guy has a unique voice and is also an impressive song writer as well. He also puts out quality album after quality album and just recently released "Back To Love." R&B the way it should be.

With Raphael Saadiq, the guy seems to JUST be getting the attention he deserves.

-Stone Rollin'.
-Calling.
-Love That Girl.
-Over You.
-Movin' Down The Line.

He has a very soulful sound and sounds like something out of the 50's or 60's without sound forced. Music has a great soft AND hard sound at the same time. He has an album called "Instant Vintage" and it describes him perfectly.

Now, many know Joe Budden for that song, "Pump It Up." It's not a horrible song, but it certainly isn't his best work.

-Pray For Me.
-Unforgiven.
-If I Gotta Go.
-Three Sides To Every Story.
-Clothes On A Mannequin.

He's highly-underrated in rap, let alone in the music world in general. Great metaphors and GREAT story telling. Three Sides To Every Story.

One of his best lines, which is one of my favorites in general, "I don't care what you do//Resentments like pissin' on yourself dog, don't nobody feel it but you."

I really think Bow Wow is very underrated. Nobody knows how good this kid really is. He speaks from the heart and has been through so much in his life so it's always a joy to hear what he has to say. Nobody really knew that he signed with Cash Money and after his last album (New Jack City Part II) his fans started to leave him because of how bad the album was. But now that he has Wayne and co to help him his stuff has become so much better. His mixtapes (Greenlight 1/2/3/4 and I'm Better Than You) have been really good and his new Underrated will be awesome. He has been making so much music lately which is good to see.

This is one of his new songs and is terrific;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGdeoGQIak

Here's another underrated musician I forgot about

Chad Channing

180full-chad-channing.jpg

Strange as it may seem Dave Grohl wasn't Nirvana's only drummer (think he was their 5th or something) he took over from Chad Channing.

Chad Channing is the drummer that was on Nirvana's debut Bleach, and in my opinion did a damn fine job. Listening to the drums on the album I thought they were pretty good and thought he was pretty decent. However Kurt Cobain didn't like his style (I think he wanted someone who could hit harder) so they let Chad go and got Dave, and the rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back