The shocking original CM Punk/Rey Mysterio feud plan

Schizophrenic

iMPACT! Player From The Start
Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The involvement of Rey Mysterio's family in his storyline with CM Punk was proposed to the creative team by Mysterio and was the original idea of a fellow wrestler. Mysterio's daughter Alliyah is actually a model and actress and has impressed everybody with her performing so far.

According to a backstage source, the original idea for the storyline with Rey's family was to be something like the Raven-Sandman angle in the original ECW but a lot of that idea was nixed because of WWE being kid-friendly. Punk would have became friendly with Rey's children and eventually turn them against their father. Another idea would have had Punk cut Rey's daughter's hair but that was nixed as well.

Punk was pushing for a Mask vs. Hair match, but WWE wasn't interested and didn't think anybody would believe Mysterio would lose and remove his mask.

Mysterio has been working with a bad knee for several months and it will require surgery after WrestleMania. Right now the plan is for Rey to stick around and work as long as possible before he needs the procedure. The feud with CM Punk is scheduled to go past WrestleMania.

Now I'm not one to come here and yell "Fuck WWE PG" but in this case.....Fuck! I mean how incredible would this feud be if they did something like this? Imagine the compelling tv. I got goosebumps just reading it and imagining it. Even fans of Punk would be booing him and cheering for Rey because it's simple logic you do not mess with family and to go that far would put Punk in that same boat as Raven as being one of the most psychotic characters around. It does say the feud is suppose to continue after Mania. I wish WWE would let themselves do this and end it with the Hair vs Mask perhaps at SummerSlam.

Seems like something that Vince McMahon, always trying to push the boundaries of what Maury has laid out for us all. The PG Era might have costed us this feud from gonig deeper, but it also prevent this feud from gonig too deep into what is viewable on WWE programming.

To be honest, I don't think it would be that good. Aaliyah Gutierrez is 8 years old, and I don't think children that age have any business being in professional wrestling. Would it have made the story more personal? Yes, but so would having CM Punk rape Mysterio's wife, it doesn't mean it's appropriate. The way Mysterio's family has been used to date is tasteful but still hard hitting enough to get the angle over. Exploiting an 8 year old may make it seem a better storyline, but sometimes there are other things to think about.

Well you got your hair match. I wonder why it wasn't a match for wrestlemania. Maybe they needed more time to flesh the story out. Although they could have added extra build up before then. I remember Punk with short hair. Maybe he misses it. What would be the stipulation for Rey? Not his mask, that wouldn't be believable.

Rey's duaghter did do an awesome acting job when she was on smackdown but I think her in a angle would have been a bit much at her age. His son could have played that agle up though. Could have been cool.

HOLY SHIT I love this feud but if he had of cut the daughters hair holy crap I just yelled fuck when I heard that.

But yeah that would've made CM Punk an amazing heel I'm rooting for Punk but if he had of done something like that I would've been pissed but still I'm in amazement that this could've happened that all sounded really good but it's great the feud isn't over because well all this could still happen?

Not shocked this at all Ive read it in the Observer two or so weeks ago lol. Most storyline ideas read better on paper that how they play out in reality. I personally is looking forward to the Mask/Hair match.

Doesnt need it, the feud has been absolutely amazing as it is. If you want this shit, go watch Jerry Springer. Ill take amazing promos and great matches, thankyou.

Doesnt need it, the feud has been absolutely amazing as it is. If you want this shit, go watch Jerry Springer. Ill take amazing promos and great matches, thankyou.

And that's what turning Rey's children against their father would have been Norcal, an amazing promo/segment/angle. This isn't Jerry Springer shit at all, what the fuck? It's not like he's raping Rey's daughter and wants to get married to a sheep or something, this is nothing like anything on Jerry Springer at all, this would actually have been a brilliant angle, one that worked VERY well when it was done in the original ECW and really helped get Sandman over as a big face and finally solidified Raven as the top heel in the promotion. Things like this evoke a TON of heat, which is always a good thing.

Shame this angle couldn't have taken place, it would have been absolutely awesome to see.

Fascinating.

I would have loved to see this. I'm all for deeper and more mature storylines in wrestling, and I consider the Sandman/Raven angle to be the prime example of what I'm looking for. Punk and Mysterio could have made it work, and work well. Punk is great on the mic and his current role as cult leader would have been perfect, and it would have translated to a deeper and even more personal feud between Punk and Mysterio. It also would have given Punk even more heat and could have gone down as one of the best stories of recent times.

Shame they never followed through. There was no downside to this.

well since they've decided to do the hair vs mask match now, then i'm hoping rey loses and joins the group as a badass heel, i mean bad-guy rey was great (if a little underutilized) in WCW with the filthy animals, but in Punk's group it'd be great, i mean this is two former (all be it somewhat paper) world champions with a ton of talent, them being on the same page and in the group that Punk has set up would be incredible i think. I think then maybe chavo or someone else close to rey could turn his family against him to try and get him back onto the side of good, the possibilities are great and if rey is a bad guy then turning his family against him isn't so PG unfriendly

Well im not a fan of this pg stuff... althought i'm glad they didnt do too much w/ mysterios family cuz idk if i coulda watched his daughter get her head shaved... and turning his kids against him.... i do like this hair vs mask tho..... i think rey will win, cm punk will go bald, and then the straight edge society will be drafted to raw, or at least i hope.

gonna have to be careful shaving CM Punk bald too, coz they'd look and act a bit KKK for their own good really with their elitist attitude and all, im sure they'd be careful, but im just sayin!

Hang on, Didn't this almost happen once before? With Eddie and Rey? And Rey's son Dominic. Remember the 'I'm Your Papi' T-shirt? That was because of that storyline. I personally can't forget it because it was Eddie's last storyline and it was awful to watch. Dominic, although he can be forgiven, was far too young for the part. I think this may have had some standing on why the idea to do it with Aaliyah was nipped in the bud.

In my opinion, the storyline going forward is fabulous. I see Rey losing at Extreme Rules and taking his place in the SES. He could then get his surgery whilst remaining on TV with weekly segments of Punk trying to save him. A return at Summerslam to either attack Punk or (imagine if) actually joining Punk. The family thing has done what it was needed for. It's made it personal. No more is necessary. It doesn't matter how good an actress she is, little kids have nightmares over scary men in fiction. As good as he is, CM Punk could damage her mentally and nobody wants that.

The whole "I'm your Papi" Eddie/ Rey storyline was not Eddie's last storyline or feud. Eddie did not gain custody due to the help of Vickie. Following that Eddie began to turn face again and had a series of matches against Batista for the World Heavyweight title. He lost. The two began to tag team and Eddie became a full-fledged face again..but it was unclear if Eddie's motives were true or if he was gonna betray Batista. During this time Eddie fought Mr. Kennedy for a spot on the Smackdown team for Survivor Series, winning in what would be his last match.

I would love CM Punk's character to become more cult oriented, develop more of a dark feel to it, i just think it would give him more of an edge(sorry for the pun), and there are more places for his character to go, for example trying to take over the wwe (sort of like ministry taker), or maybe recruiting a tag team to his little stable. Unfortunately, the PG rating means it cant happen, but I can dream.

Another thing is, why not have Rey lose his mask? not permanently, as that would lose the WWE a ton of merchandise revenue, but maybe for a few weeks or so as part of an angle where he wins it back, i mean a lot of wrestling fans have already seen him unmasked, as well as a few curious kids with an internet connection, so what is there to lose?

The idea of having The little girl's hair being cut by CM punk sounds incredibly horrible. the fact that wwe went PG is a giant reason why cm punk went heel for me. I mean think about it, CM punk yells and puts words of pain to the audience telling them to stop drinking and smoking and accept straight edge into your lives. I know it sounds unbelievably absurd, but think about it.

I thought the wm 26 match between rey and punk was too predictable with rey's mask on the line (well joining the straight edge society would've meant this inevitably). WWE needed to make Rey joining SES a possibility.

Creative team really needs to be smarter than this.

To be honest with you, I would have hated for that to happen. In a sense, they would have been recycling a feud. It would be the 2nd time Reys family was involved in a heated fued. I wouldn't like it at all.

Does anybody remember the Eddie Guerrero, "I'm Your Papi" gimmick type thing with Rey Mysterio and his son Dominick?

I know thing may not be the most popular opinion, but I really want this feud to end soon. It's not that I don't like it, it has been extremely entertaining, but I really think Punk's talents are being wasted. He is simply golden with a microphone and has the ability to elevate anyone with it. he has taken 2 people now (Jeff and Rey) who aren't very strong on the mic, and almost singlehandedly made 2 highly entertaining Main Event caliber feuds. I would really love to see him take on Morrison or perhaps someone even a little more green and elevate them to a higher plateau.

I agree with you Nate.

Who I would really like to see Punk elevate is R-Truth. I know they had a little something going on before, but it didn't explode like CM Punk .vs. Jeff Hardy and CM Punk .vs. Rey Mysterio did.

It's practically the most logical choice to have Punk trying to convert R-Truth. We all know that Truth spent time and what not. So I think it would work out great.

Another good one would be CM Punk trying to convert MVP. I haven't seen this before. Just like R-Truth, MVP spent some time. So that one would work also. Though, I'd much rather see CM Punk elevate R-Truth because I like R-Truth helluva lot better than MVP, and I think he deserves a push more than MVP.

I agree with you Nate.

Who I would really like to see Punk elevate is R-Truth. I know they had a little something going on before, but it didn't explode like CM Punk .vs. Jeff Hardy and CM Punk .vs. Rey Mysterio did.

It's practically the most logical choice to have Punk trying to convert R-Truth. We all know that Truth spent time and what not. So I think it would work out great.

Another good one would be CM Punk trying to convert MVP. I haven't seen this before. Just like R-Truth, MVP spent some time. So that one would work also. Though, I'd much rather see CM Punk elevate R-Truth because I like R-Truth helluva lot better than MVP, and I think he deserves a push more than MVP.

I am totally with you on this. Morrison really doesn't need it, he just needs to have a program going with anyone. While I like Truth or MVP, both of them are kinda up there in age. So for an alternative.. How about JTG? He's much younger than them, he can be very entertaining in the ring, and while he doesn't actually have the legit criminal background, he was a part of a tag team called Cryme Tyme. It would be pretty cool to see JTG move past this feud with Shad, whether he comes out on top or not, and get a nice rub from a former World Champion and see if he can be elevated by a top notch performer.

I would like to reiterate, I'm not, absolutely not shitting on this current program. It has been great. I would just really rather see Punk work with someone who isn't already established and watch him elevate a new talent.

Yeah i wish this feud went through. It would be so much more interesting than a feud like Cena vs. Batista which is built around the fact that Batista thinks he can beat Cena.
Maybe if this storyline worked, Vince would realized how much some fans want WWE to go back to PG13

While the storyline could have been very intriguing and unique, the girl is nine years old and there's no need to put her in such an intense storyline. Also remember that the Eddie/Rey feud was better before Dominic got involved, and then it began to suck in the views of many people. It's still been a really great angle and is serving to re-establish Rey and Punk as a top face and a top heel on SD, after a few months of dwelling in the upper midcard. There are still plenty of creative directions that they could go with it. And losing Rey's mask cannot happen for obvious reasons, I'm sure that most everyone here has seen him unmasked, but his younger fans certainly haven't and that would serve to ruin a lot of his mystique.

in all fair and honesty i believe that the feud could have gone on for a longer time and what not, and although the match can be changed, i think the if cm punk loses he loses his hair match is a bad idea. 1 its not extreme, what they can kill each other with razors and shaving hair things (whatever their called!) that wouldn't work, 2 rey's mask needs to be on the line and 3, id ruch mather have a new feud with cm punk heading into extreme rules because, as people have said before, rey's status is currently midcard but if put into the main event match of a ppv, people wont be scratching their heads, like rey's character has already been built! he needs to work with a guy like the undertaker, telling him he needs to not be so dark and wear makeup and blablablablabla!

Also if swagger vs jericho for the world title is a single's match im gunna puke. This is gunna turn out like cm punk vs batista at the bash 2008. A triple threat insert extreme rule match is in the cards with edge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back