• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Seven Deadly Sins Of Man

lenguy

First Immortality..Then the Bitches
Envy,Lust,Gluttony,Wrath,Greed,Sloth and Pride. These are mankind's greatest sins, if you are not fully acquainted.

The seven deadly sins are objectionable vices that have been used since the early christian times. They are used to describe humanity's tendencies and characteristics that we all succumb to and thus fall into sin. A simple and brief rundown of each of these "deadly sins" if you are unfamiliar.

Pride: Seeing ourselves as we are and not comparing ourselves to others is humility. Pride and vanity are competitive. If another persons pride really bothers you, you have a lot of pride.

Greed: This is about more than money. Generosity means letting others get the credit or praise. It is giving without having expectations of the other person. Greed is the excessive desire to acquire or possess more than one needs or deserves.

Envy: Envy represents the spite and resentment at seeing the good others receive or even might receive. Envy is almost indistinguishable from pride at times.

Wrath: Kindness means taking the tender approach, with patience and compassion. Anger is often our first reaction to the problems of others. Impatience with the faults of others is related to this.

Lust: Self control and self mastery prevent pleasure from killing the soul by suffocation. Legitimate pleasures are controlled in the same way an athlete's muscles are: for maximum efficiency without damage. Lust is the self-destructive drive for pleasure out of proportion to its worth. Sex, power, or image can be used well, but they tend to go out of control.

Gluttony: Temperance accepts the natural limits of pleasures and preserves this natural balance. This does not pertain only to food, but to entertainment and other legitimate goods, and even the company of others.

Sloth
: Zeal is the energetic response of the heart to God's commands. The other sins work together to deaden the spiritual senses so we first become slow to respond to God and then drift completely into the sleep of complacency. Sloth is defined as the apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue.

People can deny it all they want but we are all guilty of not just one but many of these sins. These so called sins are what often corrupt and taint us humans to the point of immeasurable imperfection. Envy leads to distrust and resentment. Wrath leads to anger, anger leads to violence and violence leads to pain and pain leads to suffering. Lust can lead to desire, desire leads to pleasure. This stimulation can lead to a glutinous appetite and the desire to want more, this stimulation can turn into greed. These traits are all intertwined and connected to some degree. However, each individual will always vary to which of these "sins" plays a more dominant role in the individuals personality and character. I think this is all just human nature and human fault. These are things that, try as you might you cannot control and cannot rid yourself of.

I see it just as we are structured from a personal standpoint, we often like to think we know everything there is to know about ourselves,as a species anyway. That we are the ultimate and divine creation of god, we are created in his image after all right? Well if god is the perfect deity that everyone claims to be, how come he created such imperfect beings such as us that are constantly at the mercy of these sins hes bestowed upon us? Characteristics that are treated as sins but characteristics we have no problem indulging ourselves in. I don't want to turn this into another religious debate, so everyone, please ignore that last part and stick to the main topic if you can. Just thought I'd throw that out there since these do have a religious back round and origin.

Are these "sins" the source of all the pain and suffering mankind inflicts upon itself and the world around us?

I would like to think, maybe not all but a good portion. How many times has a country or nation suffered because of another mans greed or pride? How many countries starve each and every day because of our own gluttony towards our ravenous appetite to indulge ourselves in our own exotic cuisines? How many people have been killed and slaughtered because of a nations pure furious wrath? It is and always has been a human issue. It might always be as a result of that, completely absent minded.

Which sin or sins do you find yourself at fault the most?

My greatest sin would be sloth, I know I have a lot of potential but I just never seem to care enough to fully utilize any of it. I do try but I always seem to default myself to my own lazy habits and because of this I do have a lot of envy towards others who do their absolute best and are successful for it. I do feel quite a bit of resentment towards them at times,but not a great deal of the time. I just try to ignore it

Can you add some of your own personal insight to this topic at all? If you can,please do share.

Well the Seven Deadly Sins of Men...The keyword is men. Even though they still exist in oru life they're not Deadly Sins anymore given that now they're commonplace, and probably weren't mentioned in the original texts of the Bible.

Yes these sins probably do cause alot of the problems in man kind, domestic and world wide.

I would say at some point I can be at fault of all them but not to an extreme level.

To be honest I have a little bit of all of them, well maybe except for gluttony. I'm not a fan of the 7 Deadly Sins to be honest, they're not a part of traditional Christianity as some member of the church came up with them without the direct influence of God or Jesus. Its very true that these sins represent the biggest problems humans face today and I have no doubt that if we could rid our lives of these sins we would be way more productive but some of these sins have been embedded into the lifestyles of our society, therefore dubbed the "deadly" sins, because they contain such a grip on our lives.

Those seven deadly sins are not the source of all of mankind's suffering. They are however a direct result of what IS. Original sin. Sin itself is the cause of all the world's suffering. The first sin ever committed, which if you're Christian was Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden eating the forbidden fruit, was what started it all. I probably suffer from envy the most. Growing up I was often jealous of others. "He's got a cooler car than I do!".... "She has better parents than I do!".... "They get paid more than I do!".... You get the picture. I still struggle with jealousy and envy sometimes, but it is easier to ignore those thoughts now that I am older. It is still the one I struggle with the most though due to wanting a more comfortable life and seeing other people have things that I want. I just don't struggle with it as much as I used to. I have been guilty of pride, wrath, and lust was also a struggle for me back when I was single. We are all guilty of one, if not most or even all, of these sins because no one is perfect. We can strive to be better people though by not giving in to those urges/thoughts.

I think the Seven Deadly Sins are the source of pain and suffering of mankind.

And if it's not, the source,is related to the Seven Deadly Sins somehow. That's just how I feel.

My greatest sin is Gluttony and sometimes, Wrath.

I like this topic, it's a coincidence that I was talking to my Mum about the Seven Deadly Sins a few days back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back