the "point system" could it work

LCShazardous

Occasional Pre-Show
this is my 1st thread and i hope it does not suck ass

i was watching the Indy wrestling promotion CHIKARA and i noticed on how they get there title shots in this business. sure there's those guys in the top that everyone likes but it's not always them in the main event. what they do is they worked out a point system where u must earn 3 points to become eligible to face the champions for the title. u earn a point by winning a match. but if u lose a match u lose all of your points. this could be good for a number of reasons.

-it gets rid of the main eventer / midcarder line and makes anyone capable of winning a world title

- it could help further feuds like picture this "this face who's in a feud with some heel is about to earn himself a third point for contender ship and then his current enemy runs in and helps the other guy and costs him his points. this infuriates the face. this would also work for the legacy stable as well Cody and Ted's job is to make sure HHH does not get 3 points it could definitely work in the cowardly heel's favor

-increases competition with more emphasis on the fact that it's treated more like an actual competition, like sport instead of sports entertainment. we'll see more wrestling matches instead of 25 minute promo's with bore-ton and HHH. we could actually c about 10 matches with the 2 hours on RAW instead of the 6 matches we saw this Monday (with only 2 good ones)

so i ask would this point system be a help or hinder for the WWE would it be a good idea to run or would it be a bad idea? your thoughts please?

Actually it´s a good thread,

But I believe it wouldn´t change that much since it´s still scripted.

So what if they had to earn 3 points they just let HHH beat the entire roster in a handicap match and he got the points.
The people that get pushed would still be pushed for the simple reason that wrestling and especially in WWE is scripted and therefore no legitimit athletic-competition.

I never really cared for Chikara so I can´t tell who´s champion but I presume he´s getting pushed or otherwise he wouldn´t have the title.

The WWE would find a way to fuck up a point system. The WWE is entertainment based and cares very little about the wrestling in general, or not enough to use a point system effectively. I've seen point systems in the past. The WCW used a point system to determine number one contenders for the WCW World Title. I like how they said Michael Wallstreet was ranked 7th in the world. LMAO. In his wildest dreams.

But the point system is for places like ROH or TNA, companies that focus on wrestling. The WWE focuses on entertainment and wrestling just happens to be a part of the entertainment aspect. Good thread, though.

Last time anyone did this in the US was in a WCW Round Robin back at Starrcade 89. I think Sting won it in the end but it was horrible on the night... as it had no real balance...

Points are for team games or racing... not for wrestling... it just make things dull and drawn out...

Point systems in wrestling are not only stupid, they're restricting. In wrestling, especially in the highly visible WWE, writers have to be flexible and able to change the stories and outcomes all the time. Take, for example, an instance where EVERYONE knows that a wrestler is returning, and is going to run-in and cost another wrestler the match. Using the points system, that person would HAVE to do that, otherwise it would mess up future storylines because guys wouldn't have the right number of points. Without the point system, they can change plans and not have it affect long-term storylines.

Point system is dumb and pointless. Want proof? Chikara uses it. All that needs to be said.

There is no way this would ever work in WWE. It's sports entertainment, not acutal wrestling, and they admit that. There would be no flexibility for writers and storylines. The main event scene would be a mess and no one would no what was going on.

If people what to watch 10 matches right in a row they can watch MMA, but WWE is about more than the actual matches. It's about the buildup and storylines to the matches, not points or anything like that.

I don't think i would like to see it throughout the E. But perhaps doing it within a specifically division would be would worth trying.

Do it for either the Women's division or the Cruisers.

Having a point system does not mean all storylines are abolished, it could add just an extra layer of intrigue to the division (or a first layer when talking about the E's lack of interest in the cruisers)

Hell yeah, a CHIKARA thread that's cleverly disguised as a general wrestling thread!

As for the point system, it's a great idea on paper, cause that gives you the chance to have several different people gain momentum on a title. However, as has been previously stated, they would still push who they want to...and it would be even worse burials than Cena/Miz. Sure, it would be great for some of the random pairings they could get (imagine champion Randy Orton vs. THE Brian Kendrick!), but it's a system that works in CHIKARA because it's believable in CHIKARA...they do everything bass ackwards anyway.

Not that that's a bad thing, because I love CHIKARA.

I like the concept of a point system . A problem I see with it though is that on every ppv wwe would always have the majority of wrestlers having two points a piece facing each other and with that kind of dynamic the point system will get old and very annoying quickly.

I do agree with a poster above who said to try it in a single division first. IMO the best division to put a point system in would be the US title division. Because there are many mid carders and lower mid carders it would really spice things up.

Good thread.

A flaw in the point system is that a wrestler has to win 3 times in a row. Imagine an unscripted wrestling where every time a wretler gets two points and then loses. There'd be no first contenders. PPVs wouldn't have any title matches. That would totally blow. Its too unstable. If this happened in WWE though, Vladimir would be in heaven. The only good I see is that it shows the drive to win. But everyone's already said it, since wrestling is scripted on the favorites get pushed. Interesting idea for a videogame league though.

It's a good idea, but it won't happen. The WWE doesn't even have a decent way to choose a number one contender. Before you had to win matches and earn it. Now you have to win one match after a two month leave. Maybe we'll see those days again, but we will never see a point system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back