The Paranormal Activity Conudrum

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
The “Paranormal Activity" movie Paramount just moved from October to January is not "Paranormal Activity 5" -- but rather the planned Latino-targeted spin-off, formerly known as "The Oxnard Tapes," several individuals with knowledge of the project tell TheWrap.

A fifth installment of the "Paranormal" franchise, which still has no script or director, is more likely to come in October, sources say. TheWrap was first to report Tuesday that Paramount was shifting its "Paranormal" dates.

Also read: Paramount May Delay 'Paranormal Activity 5' Until Next Year (Exclusive)

The as-of-yet untitled spin-off -- a found-footage flick targeted at Latino audiences that's directed by “Paranormal 2” writer Christopher Landon -- is finished and has been testing well.

It was once deemed a "cousin" to the franchise -- but now those close to the project say it is very much a spin-off. One individual said the film ends with people standing outside the same house where the first “Paranormal” began.

Also read: Comic-Con Preview -- 11 Panels Not to Miss In San Diego

“It exists in a parallel universe,” the individual said.

"Paranormal" will still be featured prominently in the marketing, another individual said. Because the film remains somewhat separate from the "Paranormal Activity" films, it will open in January -- where Paramount had sucess with "The Devil Inside."

"Paranormal Activity 5," meanwhile, doesn’t even have a script – let alone cuts for the studio to see. Paramount and producer Jason Blum have not found an idea they like, though Greg Plotkin, who edited the last three “Paranormal” films, is likely to direct.

Also read: Comic-Con Preview -- The 12 Parties Not to Miss in San Diego

One individual stressed that it was far too early to talk about directors. Paramount had no comment and Blum did not respond to a request for comment.

"Paranormal Activity 5" is likely to hit theaters next October, the same month Paramount and producer Jason Blum have had great success with in the past. All four films have grossed at least $140 million at the box office. Not a one has cost more than $5 million to produce.

http://mc-3596-1705542522.us-west-2...vity-5-because-movie-doesn-t-exist-yet-103976

....Okay.

So apparently the Latino spin off for Paranormal Activity is coming out in January 2014, not Paranormal Activity. And if you're wondering about the details for the Latino Paranormal Activity spin-off, well there aren't too many right now. All we have is this brief and vague post-credits scene form Paranormal Activity 4:

[YOUTUBE]l_YU6jZjs5U[/YOUTUBE]​

As far as the spin-off goes, I dunno. I'll probably wait to watch that one at home, because I'm not a big fan of the Paranormal franchise.

Paranormal Activity 5 won't hit until next October, so they've got some time to improve, because part four was garbage. Boring garbage. They need to tweak or apply some drastic changes to the predictable formula of forty to fifty minutes of boring and useless security camera footage (I don't need to know what's going in your empty pool at one o'clock in the morning), random and sporadic attacks from Toby the invisible demon, and the usual suspenseful finale that might last ten minutes.

Paranormal needs a MAJOR overhaul, if the series is going to survive past a six or possibly seventh film. Like it or nor (and I don't like it), Paranormal Activity took the spot of the most popular modern day horror franchise after Saw died. Yeah, Paranormal Activity 4 didn't flop, but that film had the weakest opening in the entire franchise. I said this in the Coming Attractions thread, but Saw eventually suffered from the same problem of releasing films year after year. The quality and box office profits for each Saw film suffered because of it, and Saw has been on the shelf since 2010. The same thing could easily happen to Paranormal Activity.

Any thoughts on Paranormal Activity 5, the future of the franchise, or the upcoming spin-off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back