• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Not-So-Extended, Brand Extension

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
By next year, it will be the 10th birthday of the WWE's brand extension. First off, the topic I'm trying to present does not involve the idea of a brand unification. It's about how said extension is being handled. Lets look back in time a bit using one question:

How big was the feel whenever a Raw VS Smackdown match was announced in X year?

There's the question. Replace the "X" with a year. Say, umm... 2008. In 2008, we had Batista vs Shawn Michaels in a pretty personal feud. However, there wasn't much concern over the fact that they were jumping over brands. Funny enough, a month before that, at Wrestlemania, Batista was in a match for "brand supremacy". It wasn't that big a deal.

Now let's replace "X" with 2005. Raw VS Smackdown was a major angle in the Fall of the year, and it more or less gave Survivor Series that "Big 4" feel once again. Not only that, but had fan's picking brands instead of characters as their roles were completely ambiguous. Nor face or heel.

"X" will now stand for 2009. In this year, especially during it's beginning, talent was flipping brands for absolutely no reason. I distinctly remember Kofi Kingston on Smackdown for zero reason when he was a member of Raw. Not only that, but we had Bragging Rights, which you'd think would revive the epic feel of 2005 and 2002, but all it did was just make one month about suddenly deciding to stick up for your show. Not quite so fun when it's marked in your calendar months in advance. Not to mention the rather bizarre, senseless trades that took place post draft.

Now "X" equals 2011. So far, it's been three weeks in, 3 weeks with at least one Smackdown talent casually showing up on Raw. I laugh every time I hear Cole brag about how special it is that a Smackdown superstar is on Raw when it really isn't. Hell, Michael Cole himself works both shows now and Josh Matthews does so on occasion.

My point is this. There's no more "they are two separate brand's" feeling anymore. Nevermind the PPV's. In those, character's from separate brands don't really interact unless the idea is for a major interpromotional match. But on Raw, Dolph Ziggler is casually thrown on the card to wrestle Randy Orton. Yeah, they are both #1 Contender's. But Exhibit B, Alberto Del Rio, want's to know if there was a point to showing up on Raw 2 weeks in a row other than for exposure and to get kicked by Shawn Michaels. Yeah, 2002-204 wasn't WWE's best years. But 2005 was a pretty damn good one. While the shows weren't always that good, the competition between brands was always top notch and had epic feel to it. Now we got a MOTY candidate in Dolph vs Bryan and that so casual, a random rematch took place the next night. If WWE feels the need to have two separate pseudo-companies, at least separate them properly. Interbrand matches tend to have that big match feel most of the time, but when it happens every other week, it's just plain overkill.

Well said, friend.
What I do miss the most was the "branded" PPVs. Yes, I know that they all became interbranded due to the epic fail that was December to Dismember, but what is happening is this: a lot of the talent is being swept under the rug and forgotten about due to a crapton of guys and only so many matches that can be crammed into one night.

Does anyone remember when Morrison was on Smackdown and was left off of 3 consecutive PPVs? He was the IC champion for GoD's sake! At least, I think he was at the time. ((feel free to correct me on that if I am wrong.))

My point being: yes, with the branded PPVs we get to see all of the top talent on one show, but a lot of the up and comers we all like to watch aren't on the show.

On the other hand though, if Raw vs Smackdown were only happening on PPVs it might still mean something: like you just said. But yes, it seems like every other week now we are seeing those matches and they have become irrelevant.

The only reason why talent from Smackdown and Raw are showing up on the opposite shows, is a way to get them over and give them a small push leading into the Royal Rumble. We have seen Alberto Del Rio numerous times on Raw, and it's a way to plug in a fresh face, and may influence people to tune into Smackdown! on Fridays to boost ratings.

Well, they need rivalry between the two shows to get the feel of two different brands.

When it first started out, you had Bischoff and Stephanie McMahon. They were battling it out over talent, and supremacy in the wrestling world. It was great. Seeing those run separate shows was great. Then Heyman wrote Smack Down, and had a mid-card he loved to work with.

One of the big problems with the brand extension is that the brands do the same thing at each ppv. MITB had two matches. Elimination Chamber had two brand matches. It really devalues those matches, and makes both brands look the same.

Both Raw and Smackdown are working so hard to be the same thing. Back in '02-'06 they were trying to be two separate entities. Hell both brands had Pay Per Views just for their shows.

If they combined the two shows and had just one company that's one thing, but they are still being the same thing. It doesn't help. Go back to the old days of the brand extension, and have two separate brands.

Add some extra niches for Raw and SmackDown like. The US and IC title to be one, and have that on Raw. Then have Smackdown have the tag title on it. One show is about building good tag team matches, and have the other pushing good mid-card talent.

If one brand has an Elimination chamber for it's main event, the other brand has a 2 out of 3 falls match. One show has MITB, the other has battle royal.

Have them be different. That would help them out so much. A lot better then having talent run wild on other shows.

Oh snap! I almost forgot!

The Draft!!!!!!!

It's so lame now, I don't like the whole, if this guy wins a match, that brand gets the draft.

I liked the random draft. Where the GM comes out, and pulls a name out of the hat. Then boom, we have new superstar on the new show. I don't like the match aspect, to where the winner get's his brand the new talent.

That old concept for those drafts was bad ass. Really helped out the talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back