• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The New Era Of Hair Metal Is Upon Us

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, Skid Row, Lita Ford...All hair bands. They made their careers off leather, sex, drugs, alcohol, and living the "high life". Recently we've seen a new wave of similar bands pop up. Buckcherry, Hinder, Halestorm, Cavo, Sixx: A.M., and others have all made their names in the same sound, and writing in the same style.

Do you like it? Is it a good thing that "hair metal" has returned?

I'm personally a fan of some of the bands...Not all of their stuff is pure hair metal, but they definitely get the same kind of crowd, and you could take them back 20 years and they'd be just as successful...

Sure why not. It seems to be a recurring theme suddenly for everything that was popular in the 80's to come back. I have no idea why, but you look around you have fashion styles that are in the vein of the 80's styles, so obviously an extension of this would be 80's hair metal. What goes around comes around I suppose. But, the thing is, even if it is a hair metal revival, they're similar to the rest of the rock bands out there that it's not going to be seen as just that, rock bands. You could look back then at the 80's "hair bands" and really all of them were rock bands that had really really long hair that incorporated elements of metal. So I don't think it's necessarily a new trend of hair metal, it's just an extension of that sound finally becoming popular again.

Let's look at this from another direction as well. Some of the bands you named off, are bands that my parents enjoy listening to. Guess when they got into music? The 70's and 80's. So really if a band has a similar sound to older bands, fans of those older bands will be attracted to a similar sound, thus why bands like Buckcherry are popular, not just with younger fans, but older ones as well.

For the love of all that is fucking holy, I hope not. Hair metal is terrible in every sense of the word and is one of the biggest jokes of a genre ever. Seriously, how anyone can listen to a fucking Cinderella album and not burst into laughter over the saccharine garbage they're listening to, I'll never know. The only time hair metal is in any way acceptable is when it's the cheesy and fun kind, like I don't know, maybe a Motley Crue song. They're about the only hair metal band I've been able to stand, as Kick Start My Heart is a fucking awesome song that will pump me up anytime I listen to it.

Don't expect any chart-topping hits from these bands anytime soon though NSL. Hair metal is about the furthest thing from cool right now, I mean unless Poison is going to start using autotune I don't see them standing much of a chance on the pop charts. I imagine most if not all of the audience for these groups right now are the same fans that were listening to them in the 80s. And most of those people are probably alcoholics or dead by now.

I love hair metal*, so I think it's great. It's just like with dance music becoming popular again; I have no complaints whatsoever. It just means that instead of listening to the old hair metal or dance music I love, I'll be able to listen to some new stuff. And that's quite all right with me.

______
[size=-3]*The cheesy fun kind X mentioned.[/size]

I'm not saying these bands are going to tear up the charts and sell out 50K seat arenas, but they will sell millions of albums, a ton of merch, and collect tons of groupies. Isn't that what the original Hair Metal era was all about? Drugs and groupies?

I've actually seen some hair metal bands live (new and old), and the shows aren't that bad. The crowd is energetic, and everyone has a good time, so what more can you ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back