The Mystery Investor Has Been Revealed!

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Screen-Shot-2014-01-30-at-9.52.24-PM.jpg

Yup. TNA is ballin'.

Seems a little bit out of place at the moment, IMO, but then again, was there really a home run to be had in the first place? Certainly a better option than Sting.

Either way, I think this probably needs to be fleshed out before we know what we're working with.

Thoughts?

Great choice in my opinion. I was always a big fan of MVP when he was on the WWE roster, and I've been hoping he would come back there at some point. It could potentially be interesting to see how this plays out.

I am a little surprised he is able to maintain the name MVP, I would have thought WWE owned the rights to that name. Actually, when he speaks for the first time, it will be interesting to see if he does still keep the name, or does he identify himself under a new moniker.

Of course, my cynical side rears it's ugly head and makes me wonder if it is consistent to speak so frequently of a new era, hitting the reset button, etc., then choosing to do so with a "WWE reject" (I know you love that term IDR) who hasn't been relevant in this part of the world for the last five years or so. And if he truly is a savvy financial investor, I can't help but question his financial decision in this venture :)

That being said, though, I still applaud the move. It may actually make me tune in again, at least for a little while, to see where this is heading, something which no other storyline has been able to do on this program for the better part of a year.

I like it, I always liked MVP, and feel he brings a lot to the product. His look is actually fitting for the position, he fills out the suit well so playing the investor/authority position works wonders for him. I think TNA made the right choice on this one.

I'll wait and see how this all works out, BUT, going just by appearances now, this looks like it'll be pretty good.

Also, my god, I love the look on MVP's face in that shot, it's just perfect.

Definitely a unique choice. I'm interested in the first promo MVP give in his new role. I saw a little bit of him around '05 or so, and he wasn't bad. But I'm always leery regarding the power struggle plots. Will Sting and Jeff Hardy come back if MVP makes the offer? How soon will the Wolves challenge for the tag team belts? I won't knock this until I see what MVP will bring to the table.

I am a little surprised he is able to maintain the name MVP, I would have thought WWE owned the rights to that name. Actually, when he speaks for the first time, it will be interesting to see if he does still keep the name, or does he identify himself under a new moniker.

He does own it. His arrangement is similar to CM Punk's and anyone that used their real name.

His gimmick did always involve money, his mic skills were always very good, and (as much as it pains me to say) unlike Sting, he can still wrestle in matches other than brawls. Call me cautiously optimistic.

Seems a little bit out of place at the moment, IMO, but then again, was there really a home run to be had in the first place?

Honestly was expecting Bischoff and I would not have been mad (if he stayed as a neutral commissioner type character. I just started watching TNA again in December and before that was summer 2012 when the Aces and Eights angle was just starting so I don't know what the extent of his involvement with that was).

As far as MVP, he's talented and entertaining on the mic. I won't be mad if his role is strictly funny backstage segments and making appearances in high intensity angles.

I don't see where his gimmick would lead one to believe that he would be an investor but I'm all for anything that leads to less of a reliance on power struggle storylines. Hoping this is all wrapped up by Lockdown and they start relying on the actual wrestler feuds to sell the show.

His gimmick did always involve money, his mic skills were always very good, and (as much as it pains me to say) unlike Sting, he can still wrestle in matches other than brawls. Call me cautiously optimistic.

Money and superiority, it was always fun watching him pull off the "I'm better than you." kind of thing he had going before the whole face turn. That has me even more excited at the prospect of him actually providing a lot to the business, that is of course, if he holds onto heel-ish tendencies, which, I'm honestly hoping he does so.

And he can definitely hold his own, his time in NJPW has definitely done him and well and improved him, so if he does get in-ring, it should be fun to watch, but honestly, I hope they keep in in a non-wrestler position, he can definitely do a lot for that company there.

I wouldn't of had MVP as the investor, although he would be fine as a representative of the investor.

Honestly, are we really supposed to suspend disbelief long enough to not question how a former mid carder in WWE and decent star in Japan has enough funds to go up against Dixie/The Carters/Panda Energy?

He suits the profile of someone with money, but I would just have him as the face to represent someone else. Maybe Dixie's mom, go Kayfabe, playing up how she had to take control somewhat as TNA's financials were/are a mess. You don't have to say exactly that, but play up that Dixie hasn't been doing right for TNA or the Carter's investment for a while.

The two biggest concerns I have with this are (1) will the fans let him live past the "WWE reject" nonsense, and (2) what exactly is his goal? That's key here. Especially the latter.

KB actually pointed something out in the LD, about how this is kind of booked backwards. Dixie is the one running out "the dinosaurs", and wanting new stars, new blood, etc. So what is MVP's goal? Wouldn't he be in the same boat, in wanting new stars?

Personally I would've loved it to be Sting just to kick the dirtsheets in the balls. Hugo Savinovich was my second choice. His promotion has Carlito, John Morrison and loads of fresh Latin-american talent to choose from. But you know what? I like MVP. He's totally new to TNA and has been away from the WWE for a long time. TNA has been doing a soft-reset on itself lately as old faces leave and MVP is a fresh act to the U.S. So why not? I must say though. He and The Wolves are a freakin' odd combo.

I don't really understand why he has to have the same gimmick as he did in the WWE, down to the cheap theme rip off. This is what strikes me as odd about WWE stars in TNA, and primarily the reason they're all called "WWE Rejects". It's because when they arrive there, they're billed as cheap, Made-In-China rehashes of their WWE characters, and they amount to looking like washed up, has-beens.

I've always liked MVP. But TNA just seems like a small pond for him to swin in. Sure he may have a Christian-like run or two with the TNA world title. But what does MVP really get out of signing to TNA Wrestling? He started wrestling there in the very beginning in TNA as Antonio Banks in matches against Monty Brown. So I guess MVP is getting back to his roots in wrestling?

Well I hope he's happy and good luck to him.

The two biggest concerns I have with this are (1) will the fans let him live past the "WWE reject" nonsense, and (2) what exactly is his goal? That's key here. Especially the latter.

KB actually pointed something out in the LD, about how this is kind of booked backwards. Dixie is the one running out "the dinosaurs", and wanting new stars, new blood, etc. So what is MVP's goal? Wouldn't he be in the same boat, in wanting new stars?

I don't know about his goal, per se, but his function would be like the president of the network would be to the GM. Dixie obviously wants to be on camera (unfortunately), so he'll be able to overturn the odd decision if needs be, I think. Hopefully TNA didn't trade in Hogan for a different "Hogan", though.

I don't really understand why he has to have the same gimmick as he did in the WWE, down to the cheap theme rip off. This is what strikes me as odd about WWE stars in TNA, and primarily the reason they're all called "WWE Rejects". It's because when they arrive there, they're billed as cheap, Made-In-China rehashes of their WWE characters, and they amount to looking like washed up, has-beens.

Or, that's how you see them.

In reality, these guys have built a character over the years. For MVP, it happens to be in the WWE and it happens to be the baller gimmick. For others, it was elsewhere.

Let me ask you this: was Ric Flair's character changed when he jumped to the WWE? How about Rob Van Dam? I'm also pretty sure Goldberg stayed the same, and it also goes for Scott Steiner. In fact, WWE was so used to the characters other companies developed, that when Nash, Pac and Hall came back, they were no longer Diesel, 1-2-3 Kid and Razor Ramon. Going further, Chris Jericho remained the same, and so did Rey Mysterio.

Obviously, I can continue with this for days. I can also list all the people who WWE changed when they came in. Some of them were successful, such as Steve Austin, and some of them bombed, such as DDP.

The point is that there is nothing wrong with maintaining someone's character and preserving its value. When an MVP debuts, people expect MVP. So they expect the song, the look, the name and the gimmick. Those are his selling values, that's what makes this signing important. Why would you change that? It will further confuse your fans and insult their intelligence. It's not 1993 anymore. Why would you strip a wrestler of all that he is perceived as? Just to please a couple of douchebags on the Internet?

What would've happened if MVP came out as something different, with a totally different name and a theme song? Disaster.

Plus, you're thinking of all of this in a negative way. What fan out there went "Oh, fuck that, he's the same as he used to be in the WWE. I will never watch this program again". No one ever has, no one ever will. It's just some bullshit IWC standard that everything has to be unique and adapted to the company.

It doesn't. Not always.

Seeing as he has released a few songs, I could see him playing this as a sort of Kanye West gimmick. A hip-hop mogul / entrepreneur thing. And Kanye West is gradually turning bat shit crazy so MVP will have plenty of material to base it on.

In reality, these guys have built a character over the years. For MVP, it happens to be in the WWE and it happens to be the baller gimmick. For others, it was elsewhere.

Let me ask you this: was Ric Flair's character changed when he jumped to the WWE? How about Rob Van Dam? I'm also pretty sure Goldberg stayed the same, and it also goes for Scott Steiner. In fact, WWE was so used to the characters other companies developed, that when Nash, Pac and Hall came back, they were no longer Diesel, 1-2-3 Kid and Razor Ramon. Going further, Chris Jericho remained the same, and so did Rey Mysterio.

Obviously, I can continue with this for days. I can also list all the people who WWE changed when they came in. Some of them were successful, such as Steve Austin, and some of them bombed, such as DDP.

The point is that there is nothing wrong with maintaining someone's character and preserving its value. When an MVP debuts, people expect MVP. So they expect the song, the look, the name and the gimmick. Those are his selling values, that's what makes this signing important. Why would you change that? It will further confuse your fans and insult their intelligence. It's not 1993 anymore. Why would you strip a wrestler of all that he is perceived as? Just to please a couple of douchebags on the Internet?

What would've happened if MVP came out as something different, with a totally different name and a theme song? Disaster.

Plus, you're thinking of all of this in a negative way. What fan out there went "Oh, fuck that, he's the same as he used to be in the WWE. I will never watch this program again". No one ever has, no one ever will. It's just some bullshit IWC standard that everything has to be unique and adapted to the company.

It doesn't. Not always.

No, I think that's how a lot of people see them.

The difference between the examples you're giving of guys that didn't change gimmicks... either when leaving the WWE or going to the WWE... is that you're talking about guys who were successful with those gimmicks and proven draws with those gimmicks.

In the past with TNA, they have relied too much on preserving what they could out of a WWE gimmick for guys that really weren't ever that over, and it does come off a lot of the time with that cheap knock off feel.

It doesn't cause fans to say "oh I'm never watching that product again" like you said, but it also isn't giving fans anything new and fresh to catch their interest.

Look at it this way. "Stunning" Steve Austin... would be largely forgotten today. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin... will never be forgotten.

It doesn't. Not always.

The WWE never preserved another company's character until those companies were bought out and they were legally allowed to use the same exact characters that were developed, not cheap copies. Those guys went to work for a different company and got a complete overhaul.

But then you have guys like Kurt Angle playing the same character he played in the WWE, using slightly modified catchphrases, and slightly modified theme music. I cringe every time I hear Hogan's gutted TNA "NWO" theme, and it's transparent to the point of comedy.

It just seems like TNA is trying to sell you a product they didn't create, and legally doing it by utilizing loopholes to slightly change small details about a character so that the WWE couldn't sue for creative rights, in the same way Chinese companies can sell you this:

polystation-3.jpg

and try to tell you that it's the same PS3 you've always known and loved, when it isn't. Something is very, very much wrong with it.

It would've been cool if it turned out to be Jarrett. That would've been a swerve and a half.

As to it being MVP. Eh I'm disappointed but at the same time who could it have been and get a good reaction. It was either going to be a wrestler that's been around a while, a former creative mind in the business (ala Bischoff) or a celebrity. It would've been interesting for it to be Billy Corgan as he loves wrestling but he already has enough on his plate really.

As to where it goes from here, I'll wait and see. MVP's a good talker and decent in the ring (when he inevitably has a match) So it'll be interesting to see what they do.

The WWE never preserved another company's character until those companies were bought out and they were legally allowed to use the same exact characters that were developed, not cheap copies. Those guys went to work for a different company and got a complete overhaul.

Yes I remember when the Radicalz debuted in the WWE they all Immediately had completely different characters "The Cowboy" Chris Benoit and "Surfer" Dean Malenko were pretty awesome. :shrug:
Jeez he hasn't even spoke yet and we're already saying he has the same gimmick as he did in WWE. I personally don't remember him playing an outside investor that was making decisions that tormented Vince Mcmahon but it has been awhile since he was there so maybe my memories just fuzzy. Oh similar music, another criminal act by TNA. MVP is fine in this role as long as he's not overexposed weekly like Hogan often was.

Yes I remember when the Radicalz debuted in the WWE they all Immediately had completely different characters "The Cowboy" Chris Benoit and "Surfer" Dean Malenko were pretty awesome. :shrug:
Jeez he hasn't even spoke yet and we're already saying he has the same gimmick as he did in WWE. I personally don't remember him playing an outside investor that was making decisions that tormented Vince Mcmahon but it has been awhile since he was there so maybe my memories just fuzzy. Oh similar music, another criminal act by TNA. MVP is fine in this role as long as he's not overexposed weekly like Hogan often was.

He came out in his trademark suit, with an MVP..."thing" he was holding, and that clock-ticking theme music that was identical to his theme in the WWE, until it turned into another cheap knockoff.

Just because he was put into another situation doesn't mean he doesn't have the same "rich guy" gimmick that he had. The "investor" part isn't a gimmick, it's a storyline. He has the same gimmick.

I like this. Let's face it, we were expecting a guy that was old, boring & used before.

However, this is something different. MVP is the "Baller", he's the money man. He's a fresh face around the business (TNA, not the wrestling one biz) & I think that things could down pretty well with him being around. Having two bodyguards & everyone being dressed up in suits, you can see which character direction they're taking in this, with MVP obviously using his money to take some control. My problem is I wouldn't want to see him in an permanent authority role as the man can actually wrestle.

I'd like to see this play out where MVP brings in a group of "new" wrestlers. Starting with the Wolves, then maybe Kris Travis (Wrestled Shark Boy in a dark match in Glasgow, great wrestler). Throw in a couple more choices & he has a group that can start to fight their way through the ranks. I'm not talking about a faction, but just a bunch of new guys who stick together, stay friendly & give each other the boosts they need (I don't mean interference), to get matches.

I also don't wanna see MVP going straight in for the World Title. I'd like to see him on Joe's side as Joe goes in for his match soon. Obviously, we know that he'll be a face as he's fighting Dixie Carter in terms of "Who's in control". But we don't want Faction War 1023 in TNA, but rather an influx of new talent helping turn this place into something nice again.

I watched the show after I read the spoilers and for some reason I think that this new storyline just works, and I don't care if it is MVP the "investor". First of all you have the introduction of three new superstars and in a somehow interesting angle. MVP was never bad with the microphone and in the TNA roster he's one of the best with it if anything. I like the fact that they gave him a fresh start as I would not like to see him go out there with the same clothes and the same things he had in WWE - being in a suit and as a power figure it's a new place for him and who knows? I enjoyed a lot of his debut.

Also being aligned with The Wolves just looks cool - I may be biased as I only watched it because of this particular tag team, but they did a great job. Davey just needs to work on his character a little bit as the most intense guy and he will be a TNA World Heavyweight Champion when the time comes. Lets hope they start giving some attention to the tag team division as well. Also Rockstar Spud was great last night. Just that.

He came out in his trademark suit, with an MVP..."thing" he was holding, and that clock-ticking theme music that was identical to his theme in the WWE, until it turned into another cheap knockoff.

Just because he was put into another situation doesn't mean he doesn't have the same "rich guy" gimmick that he had. The "investor" part isn't a gimmick, it's a storyline. He has the same gimmick.

Well I would assume as he's portraying an Investor he would probably be wearing a Suit, If he was in his old athletic wear he used to sport in his matches he may look a tad out of place. Holding an emblem that says "MVP" when his name is "MVP" doesn't seem too crazy. I conceded on the theme music, however I can't imagine getting up in arms about it as honestly most TNA music whether original or blatant ripoff is pretty bland. I just don't get the obsession certain people have where former WWE talents have to come in as completely different people. I don't want MVP to be a samurai, and of course it would never happen but if Punk showed up I wouldn't want him to be a beer swilling, cyborg either. Sticking with what has been established isn't always so bad, hell WWE didn't try to switch Punks character on debut.

I'm actually pleased with this. From all of the rumoured names, MVP was the best option. Would you guys rather have wanted to see Sting, Russo, Prince Devitt (not sure where that one came from), Jarrett or this man? He's shown us all that he's talented and is capable of a lot of things.

Where will this go?
I think he will come on as an authority figure until the dispute between Dixie and himself ends. I doubt he will remain in such a powerful position. He's not been in the industry as long as some on the roster and was a solid mid-carder in the WWE. Either Carter will change her ways or a new figure will return. Jarrett perhaps. After Dixieland comes to an end, I think he'll go on to be a full-time wrestler in the Heavyweight division assuming he stays. After leaving the WWE with so much potential and holding such a high status in TNA, it will only make sense if he competes for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Who knows? Maybe he will be the one to end Magnus' championship reign.

Well I would assume as he's portraying an Investor he would probably be wearing a Suit, If he was in his old athletic wear he used to sport in his matches he may look a tad out of place. Holding an emblem that says "MVP" when his name is "MVP" doesn't seem too crazy. I conceded on the theme music, however I can't imagine getting up in arms about it as honestly most TNA music whether original or blatant ripoff is pretty bland. I just don't get the obsession certain people have where former WWE talents have to come in as completely different people. I don't want MVP to be a samurai, and of course it would never happen but if Punk showed up I wouldn't want him to be a beer swilling, cyborg either. Sticking with what has been established isn't always so bad, hell WWE didn't try to switch Punks character on debut.

So they wrote a storyline based on the character he had in the WWE. What you're telling me is, "well, he's an investor - that's just the storyline they had written for him, so of course he's going to be similar." That's being disingenuous.

Look, I'll concede to an argument they didn't make. They brought him in with this gimmick because that's how that performer is known. Sure, if he came in with a samurai gimmick, it would have been weird, but it just seems to me like that he's being portrayed as the same exact character he was in the WWE, with slight alterations for legality purposes when they could have just came up with something different and realistic (you strawmanned your own argument with the samurai thing, that would have been stupid).

But what it looks like is that they took a low-midcarder (almost jobber) from the WWE and put him into a major position of power, right in the main event of TNA. What does that look like for the rest of the stars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back