The MWC deserves an utomatic BCS bid

gd

Plump, Juicy User
Last weekend BYU came up with a big upset victory over Oklahoma, considered to be one of the country. Currently, BYU sits at #9 in the polls while two other teamsin the Moutain West Conference, TCU and Utah, are also in the top 20 in the country. Over the past few years the MWC has proven itself as one of the best conferences in college football. Last year, Utah went undefeated and beat national power Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

Currently, the 6 major conferences winner get automatic bids into BCS bowl games. However, you can argue that the MWC is better than at least 3 or 4 of those conferences. Yet, the only way a team from the MWC is going to make it to a BCS bowl is if they go undefeated. Even then, they probably won't get a shot at the national championship.

I definetly think that the MWC should get an automatic BCS bid and if a team in that conference goes undefeated, they should get a shot at the national championship over a 1 or 2 loss team from one of the major conferences.

What do you think? Do you agree something should be changed? How should it be done?

I think that they will receive a BCS bid whether its Boise or BYU maybe both as they dont play each other this year. They have worked hard for this, and deserve a chance at the title as they dont have as easy schedules as past years.

They definitely do not deserve an automatic bid. The conference has three good teams and that's it. They aren't a good enough conference from top to bottom to deserve an automatic bid. The only big time conference that they might be better then is the Big East and I'm not even sure about that. If you put BYU, Utah, or TCU in the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, or SEC then there is no way they go undefeated. They are capable of beating the top teams in the country but they would not be able to do it on a weekly basis

Colorado State, UNLV, Wyoming, New Mexico, San Diego State, and Air Force round out the rest of the MWC. There just isn't enough depth for them to be considered a big time conference. If the top teams go undefeated or only have one loss then they will get into a BCS game, but an automatic bid is just out of the question for a conference that has that many weak teams.

if the boring ass Big East deserves an automatic bid then so does the Mountain West lol

i mean compare the 3 best teams in the big east right now (WVU, Cincinnati, & either USF or Pitt) to the 3 best teams in the Mtn West (Utah, BYU, & TCU)

i think any of those 3 Mtn West teams would annihilate those 3-4 big east teams at home, road, or neutral

hopefully the Mtn West could some way get Boise St to join there conference then they would have to get an automatic BCS bid

They definitely do not deserve an automatic bid. The conference has three good teams and that's it. They aren't a good enough conference from top to bottom to deserve an automatic bid. The only big time conference that they might be better then is the Big East and I'm not even sure about that. If you put BYU, Utah, or TCU in the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, or SEC then there is no way they go undefeated. They are capable of beating the top teams in the country but they would not be able to do it on a weekly basis

Colorado State, UNLV, Wyoming, New Mexico, San Diego State, and Air Force round out the rest of the MWC. There just isn't enough depth for them to be considered a big time conference. If the top teams go undefeated or only have one loss then they will get into a BCS game, but an automatic bid is just out of the question for a conference that has that many weak teams.

It's not like every conference has all good teams. I thought you knew better than this. Who are the top three teams in the Big 10? Ohio State, Penn State, and maybe Michigan. You're saying that BYU, TCU, or Utah couldn't beat those teams? The ACC has been weak for years and I believe any one of those MWC teams can fare well in the ACC. I would take a undefeated or one loss BYU team over a 8-4 or 9-3 West Virginia or Pittsburgh team any day of the week. Half of the teams in the power schools aren't even capable of beating the top teams on a regular basis. It's unfair that a team can go undefeated and not have a chance at a national championship.

It's not like every conference has all good teams. I thought you knew better than this. Who are the top three teams in the Big 10? Ohio State, Penn State, and maybe Michigan. You're saying that BYU, TCU, or Utah couldn't beat those teams? The ACC has been weak for years and I believe any one of those MWC teams can fare well in the ACC. I would take a undefeated or one loss BYU team over a 8-4 or 9-3 West Virginia or Pittsburgh team any day of the week. Half of the teams in the power schools aren't even capable of beating the top teams on a regular basis. It's unfair that a team can go undefeated and not have a chance at a national championship.

We're not comparing the top three teams in each conference, we're comparing the conference as a whole. I'd take teams like Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Boston College, Clemson, Wake Forest, Baylor, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Arizona, Arkansas, Auburn, and South Carolina over teams like Air Force, New Mexico, and San Diego State.

Also if you look at teams like BYU, Utah, and TCU they aren't always this good. BYU has been good the last 4 years but before that they sucked. Utah had great seasons last year and in 2004 but other then that they have been average at best. TCU has really been the only consistently great team record wise the last 7 or 8 years.

With the big conferences there is always going to be teams that have down years but as a whole the conference is still very good. The Big East is really the only exception, but they are still recovering from losing Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College to the ACC.

We're not comparing the top three teams in each conference, we're comparing the conference as a whole. I'd take teams like Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Boston College, Clemson, Wake Forest, Baylor, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Arizona, Arkansas, Auburn, and South Carolina over teams like Air Force, New Mexico, and San Diego State.

Also if you look at teams like BYU, Utah, and TCU they aren't always this good. BYU has been good the last 4 years but before that they sucked. Utah had great seasons last year and in 2004 but other then that they have been average at best. TCU has really been the only consistently great team record wise the last 7 or 8 years.

With the big conferences there is always going to be teams that have down years but as a whole the conference is still very good. The Big East is really the only exception, but they are still recovering from losing Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College to the ACC.

The Mountain West Conference has proven that it is just as good as most of the major conferences, with the exception of the SEC and Big 12. Let's have a look, shall we?

Big East - No ranked teams, MWC is better

Big Ten - Ohio State (almost lost to Navy), Penn State and who else do you got after that? I guess Iowa is the 3rd best team in that conference, not too impressive.

Pac 10 - Obviously USC at the top with Cal also in the top 10, but after that? UCLA is the #3 team, once again, not too impressive.

ACC - VT, GT, and UNC are the top 3 teams, I guess. But UNC almost lost to an pretty bad UCONN team. After that, FSU, BC, WF, not all that great. I'd say that the MWC is almost as good as the ACC, if not better.

Why are we considering their past records if we're only talking about a particular season. I don't care how they good or bad they were two or three seasons ago. If they are undefeated this season and have played good competition, then they deserve a shot at the national championship.

The ACC has been as mediocre as the Big East even with those three teams moving so there isn't much of an argument. I'm rooting for BYU to go undefeated to see if the BCS will give them the proper respect they deserve because I feel like if Florida loses a game they will still put them over BYU which is a shame because the Gators have one of the easiest schedules besides Penn State in the country right now.

The Mountain West Conference has proven that it is just as good as most of the major conferences, with the exception of the SEC and Big 12. Let's have a look, shall we?

Big East - No ranked teams, MWC is better

Big Ten - Ohio State (almost lost to Navy), Penn State and who else do you got after that? I guess Iowa is the 3rd best team in that conference, not too impressive.

Pac 10 - Obviously USC at the top with Cal also in the top 10, but after that? UCLA is the #3 team, once again, not too impressive.

ACC - VT, GT, and UNC are the top 3 teams, I guess. But UNC almost lost to an pretty bad UCONN team. After that, FSU, BC, WF, not all that great. I'd say that the MWC is almost as good as the ACC, if not better.

Once again you aren't looking at the big picture. Sure if you take the top 3 teams in the MWC they would fare well against the top three from most other conferences, but conferences are made up of more then 3 teams. When the rest of your conference is filled with below average teams then the overall conference is not strong.

Why are we considering their past records if we're only talking about a particular season. I don't care how they good or bad they were two or three seasons ago. If they are undefeated this season and have played good competition, then they deserve a shot at the national championship.

The ACC has been as mediocre as the Big East even with those three teams moving so there isn't much of an argument. I'm rooting for BYU to go undefeated to see if the BCS will give them the proper respect they deserve because I feel like if Florida loses a game they will still put them over BYU which is a shame because the Gators have one of the easiest schedules besides Penn State in the country right now.

You have to consider past years. You can't just give a conference an automatic bid one year and take it away the next year. The MWC may be strong at the top this year, but overall in it's history it has been a weak conference. Until the conference gets a few more good teams to make it a stronger overall conference then they don't deserve to get an automatic bid every year.

You have to consider past years. You can't just give a conference an automatic bid one year and take it away the next year. The MWC may be strong at the top this year, but overall in it's history it has been a weak conference. Until the conference gets a few more good teams to make it a stronger overall conference then they don't deserve to get an automatic bid every year.

I'm not saying they should take away an automatic bid but give the MWC one. I believe the Big East needs a few more good teams rather than the MWC because I believe the Big East will be the worst of the six power conferences. I want all the conferences to either play a championship game or not play one but I'll know that will never happen.

Their signature win was over a devastated OU team without it's two best players, and even then BYU only won by one.

The conference is nowhere near deep enough to warrant an auto-bid. BYU hasn't been very consistent over the years, and Utah is inconsistent as well.

What will you do when the conference winner has 2-3 losses? The depth of the MWC can't cover that. The overall talent level in the MWC is less than half of any of the BCS auto-bid teams. The top teams (Utah, BYU, TCU) have proven they can compete with the #2 and 3s from big conferences, but none of them sustain it for more than a year or two.

Bullshit is all I have to say to this ridiculous statement. It's the feel good thing for everyone to do in college football world, praise the small guy, and bash the Big East in the process. The most ridiculous statement thus far is that any of the top 3 teams from the MWC could beat the 3 Best teams from the Big East, my ass.

We're two years removed from West Virginia posssibly playing for a Title, only not getting their because they lost a rivalry game. Louisville was right there as well before Patrino high tailed it out. This years UC team can play with anyone, and beat, anyone from the Mountain West, period.

BYU is everyones golden child at this point, because they managed to squeak out a victory against a team that lost it's two best players.

This is fucking ridiculous, you lose three of your power teams and see how your conference deals with it? Have the SEC lose FLA, Alabama, LSU and see how they fare as a conference. Let the Big 12 lose Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska and see how they fare. They are a rebounding conference where it is anyones conference to win.

USF was one game away from being ranked number one in the country for a week until a terrible mishap, WVU was one game away for playing for a National Title just two years ago. A game they had a chance to win.

The MWC is so overrated it isn't even funny. The only time there teams are ever good is when they are loaded with seniors. Then they go and deal with mediocrity for a couple years, be good for two and deal with it all over again.

Going into the final week of the season four teams had a chance to win the Big East, and Cinci prevailed with a beating on Pitt. Cinci showed it could compete with the best of em last year with there quick defense and a well rounded offense. The Mountain West is usually two deep and thats it, and I'm pretty sure there bottom teams wouldn't compete with our bottom team. If anything I believe the Big Ten is the worst conference in all the land. Gimme a break with the Mountain West love, they beat up an Oklahoma team with an injured Sam Bradford and probably the best tightend in the league sidelined. And Utah went up against a Alabama team where everything was seemingly going all wrong towards the end of the year.

So all in all the Mountain West doesn't deserve an automatic bid because once every four years they come up with one upset win...

Everyone thinking that the MWC deserves an automatic bid can now shut the fuck up. The MWC's best team got absolutely demolished by probably the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC in Florida State. BYU not only lost but they lost at home 54-28. They were completely outplayed and embarrassed. The MWC's second best team in Utah also got beat by probabbly the Pac 10's 4th best team in Oregon. They were in a closer game but still lost 31-24.

This shows that the MWC just isn't very good at all, and if these teams were in any of the major conferences then they would be middle of the road teams. It's a lot easier to do well in a shitty conference and then win one big bowl game then it is to do well in a competitive conference for a whole season.

Everyone thinking that the MWC deserves an automatic bid can now shut the fuck up. The MWC's best team got absolutely demolished by probably the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC in Florida State. BYU not only lost but they lost at home 54-28. They were completely outplayed and embarrassed. The MWC's second best team in Utah also got beat by probabbly the Pac 10's 4th best team in Oregon. They were in a closer game but still lost 31-24.

This shows that the MWC just isn't very good at all, and if these teams were in any of the major conferences then they would be middle of the road teams. It's a lot easier to do well in a shitty conference and then win one big bowl game then it is to do well in a competitive conference for a whole season.

I would "shut the fuck up" as you so eloquently put it but I feel like talking.

BYU has a good shot at least of making a BCS bowl game especially since most of the top teams keep losing. I see USC, Oklahoma, and Ohio State losing again so it will be hard for them to get into BCS-bowl contention. If BYU and Boise State can run the table now, they will be in good shape. One thing that helps in their favor is that three teams from the same conference can't go to a BCS bowl and Florida, Alabama, and Ole Miss are in the Top 5 so it means one of those teams won't be in a BCS bowl and I hope it isn't us. The other teams I see so far are California, Texas, Penn State, LSU, and Virginia Tech so there are one or two spots for a non-BCS team to slip in there.

No offense, but your logic is pretty fucking stupid.

Using your logic, the Big East shouldn't have an automatic bowl bid because in 2004, Pittsburgh lost to UConn who finished FIFTH in the Big East that year. It works the same way...best team in Big East got beat by the fifth place team in a major conference. Or, 2005, when FSU was the ACC representative, and they got drilled by Florida, the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC.

It's a stupid theory. You can't deny what these teams have done in the past, especially Utah. Saying they should not get an automatic bid, when the Big East and the ACC get one is asinine...hell, outside of USC who in the Pac 10 has been consistent? Cal? The team that is overrated every year?

Oh, and when the season is over, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see FSU be the ACC champion. I don't think they are going to be the "4th or 5th best team" in the ACC.

Reactions: gd
The thing about it is that conferences like the MWC and WAC have been or are consisently better than conferences like the Big East and ACC. I still don't see why if you go undefeated you don't deserve a shot at the championship game and I don't care what sport you are in. Florida State may win the ACC and we will look back and say that BYU lost to a good team. I fully expect a non-BCS team to get one of those spots whether it be Boise State or somebody else.

No offense, but your logic is pretty fucking stupid.

Using your logic, the Big East shouldn't have an automatic bowl bid because in 2004, Pittsburgh lost to UConn who finished FIFTH in the Big East that year. It works the same way...best team in Big East got beat by the fifth place team in a major conference. Or, 2005, when FSU was the ACC representative, and they got drilled by Florida, the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC.

It's a stupid theory. You can't deny what these teams have done in the past, especially Utah. Saying they should not get an automatic bid, when the Big East and the ACC get one is asinine...hell, outside of USC who in the Pac 10 has been consistent? Cal? The team that is overrated every year?

Oh, and when the season is over, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see FSU be the ACC champion. I don't think they are going to be the "4th or 5th best team" in the ACC.

You obviously haven't read this whole thread. That is not my logic at all, but thanks for jumping to conclusions.

I've been saying this whole time that the MWC doesn't deserve an automatic bid because the conference as a whole is horrible year after year. That isn't going to change anytime soon. The Big East and ACC might be down right now, but overall if you look at past years they are much better conferences then the MWC.

The reason I was talking about Utah and BYU losing on Saturday to middle of the road major conference teams is because other people were arguing that Utah and BYU were just as good as the top teams in the major conferences. Saturday's results proved that to be completely false.

Why should the MWC get an automatic bid when they have at the most 3 good teams? The answer is they shouldn't. If they go through the season with 0 or 1 loss then they will most likely get a bid anyways. But a 2 loss MWC conference team just doesn't deserve a bid over a 2 or 3 loss team in one of the major conferences.

Thanks again for saying I had a shit argument when that wasn't my argument at all. The fact remains that the MWC is a horrible overall conference and there is no way they are better then the ACC, Big Ten, or even Big East. You are a fucking moron if you think otherwise.

You obviously haven't read this whole thread. That is not my logic at all, but thanks for jumping to conclusions.

I've been saying this whole time that the MWC doesn't deserve an automatic bid because the conference as a whole is horrible year after year. That isn't going to change anytime soon. The Big East and ACC might be down right now, but overall if you look at past years they are much better conferences then the MWC.

The reason I was talking about Utah and BYU losing on Saturday to middle of the road major conference teams is because other people were arguing that Utah and BYU were just as good as the top teams in the major conferences. Saturday's results proved that to be completely false.

Why should the MWC get an automatic bid when they have at the most 3 good teams? The answer is they shouldn't. If they go through the season with 0 or 1 loss then they will most likely get a bid anyways. But a 2 loss MWC conference team just doesn't deserve a bid over a 2 or 3 loss team in one of the major conferences.

Thanks again for saying I had a shit argument when that wasn't my argument at all. The fact remains that the MWC is a horrible overall conference and there is no way they are better then the ACC, Big Ten, or even Big East. You are a fucking moron if you think otherwise.

From now on you call me moron because I think otherwise.

How many good consistent teams are there in the Big Ten? Pretty much Ohio State and Penn State and that's about it. In the Big East you could pretty much rely on West Virginia or Pittsburgh every once in a while. The ACC has been mediocre for as long as I can remember because the good Miami was in the Big East. So the MWC is horrible and the ACC, Big Ten, or Big East who produce usually two consisent good teams aren't?

Reactions: gd
From now on you call me moron because I think otherwise.

How many good consistent teams are there in the Big Ten? Pretty much Ohio State and Penn State and that's about it. In the Big East you could pretty much rely on West Virginia or Pittsburgh every once in a while. The ACC has been mediocre for as long as I can remember because the good Miami was in the Big East. So the MWC is horrible and the ACC, Big Ten, or Big East who produce usually two consisent good teams aren't?

You don't understnad at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that the major conferences always have more then 2 or 3 good teams. It's not always the same teams year after year, but there are almost always 4-6 good teams that are going to be in the major conferences. Then you also have the teams who are there almost every year, but overall the major conferences are consistently producing a lot of good to great teams. Conferences like the Mountain West have 2 or 3 good teams and then the rest of the conference is complete shit.

Let's take the Big Ten for example. Most years Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State will be good, and then there are other teams who will have a few great years and then have a few off years. One year Wisconsin and Michigan State might join the elite of the Big Ten and then another year it might be Iowa and Purdue. It's not always the same teams that are good, but there are always a lot of good teams.

Big Sexy said:

The Big East has been shit ever since Miami, VT, and Boston College left. When Pitt won the Big East a few years ago, they probably didn't deserve a BCS bid, at least not anymore than a MWC team. They got slaughtered by Alex Smith and the undefeated Utah Utes, who never got a shot at the National Championship.

Let's take the Big Ten for example. Most years Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State will be good, and then there are other teams who will have a few great years and then have a few off years. One year Wisconsin and Michigan State might join the elite of the Big Ten and then another year it might be Iowa and Purdue. It's not always the same teams that are good, but there are always a lot of good teams.

The Big Ten is a joke. Penn State doesn't play anyone at all out of conference. It is completely ridiculous. At the top you have PSU who play about 3 games a year where they have a chance to lose and OSU who isn't anything to write home about, I'd take BYU over them in a second. Michigain is the only other team that you could even argue for.

I'm not saying the MWC is the best conference. or anything like that, but they are certainly more than comparable to other conference who get automatic bids, so why shouldn't they deserve one? Just because they aren't a traditional "big time conference" isn't an acceptable answer.

The Big East has been shit ever since Miami, VT, and Boston College left. When Pitt won the Big East a few years ago, they probably didn't deserve a BCS bid, at least not anymore than a MWC team. They got slaughtered by Alex Smith and the undefeated Utah Utes, who never got a shot at the National Championship.

The Big Ten is a joke. Penn State doesn't play anyone at all out of conference. It is completely ridiculous. At the top you have PSU who play about 3 games a year where they have a chance to lose and OSU who isn't anything to write home about, I'd take BYU over them in a second. Michigain is the only other team that you could even argue for.

I'm not saying the MWC is the best conference. or anything like that, but they are certainly more than comparable to other conference who get automatic bids, so why shouldn't they deserve one? Just because they aren't a traditional "big time conference" isn't an acceptable answer.

This is the last time I'm going to say this, because obviously none of you can read. The MWC does not deserve an automatic bid because top to bottom the conference sucks. They are a shit conference overall. the Big East and Big Ten may not be great at the moment either, but top to bottom they are a million times better then the MWC. And at least with the major conferences you know that in a few years they could go back to being dominant. The MWC will never be dominant. They will always have one or two really good teams, but other then that they have JACK SHIT.

I have compiled the records of the three best teams from each of the six power conferences and the MWC and the WAC from 2005-2008. I ranked them by order of winning percentage.

1. SEC: 134-26 (0.838)
2. Big 12: 130-28 (0.823)
3. Big 10: 126-29 (0.813)
4. Pac 10: 123-31 (0.799)
5. Big East: 120-34 (0.779)
6. MWC: 116-36 (0.763)
7. WAC: 116-38 (0.753)
8. ACC: 118-41 (0.742)

As you can see, the MWC and WAC have been generally consistent as the Big East and Pac 10 and better than the ACC over the past four years which is surprising since Miami, VT, and BC are there.

To address your point Big Sexy about the non-BCS conferences being weak overall, I complied another list of how many teams from each conference were under .500 from 2005-2008. Here are the totals.

ACC: 16
Big 10: 15
Big 12: 17
Big East: 10
Pac-10: 17
SEC:16
MWC: 17
WAC: 18

Taking into account that the Big East has only eight teams, the other big conferences just have about as many teams finish below .500 as the MWC and the WAC do. I didn't even list the teams who were at .500.

Another point to consider is at least teams like BYU, TCU, Boise St., etc have a better out of conference schedule than the power teams. Penn State and Florida have laughable out of conference games so how we can measure that as the season progresses? The SEC is down this year so I won't be surprised if Florida runs the table until the SEC championship. It's the same way in basketball where mid-majors play over half their games on the road because the big schools are too scared to come to them.

Overall, you can't name me one conference that has good teams from top to bottom because most of the teams consisently are awful. It goes for each and every conference and there are usually two to three good teams in each conference every year.

I have compiled the records of the three best teams from each of the six power conferences and the MWC and the WAC from 2005-2008. I ranked them by order of winning percentage.

1. SEC: 134-26 (0.838)
2. Big 12: 130-28 (0.823)
3. Big 10: 126-29 (0.813)
4. Pac 10: 123-31 (0.799)
5. Big East: 120-34 (0.779)
6. MWC: 116-36 (0.763)
7. WAC: 116-38 (0.753)
8. ACC: 118-41 (0.742)

As you can see, the MWC and WAC have been generally consistent as the Big East and Pac 10 and better than the ACC over the past four years which is surprising since Miami, VT, and BC are there.

To address your point Big Sexy about the non-BCS conferences being weak overall, I complied another list of how many teams from each conference were under .500 from 2005-2008. Here are the totals.

ACC: 16
Big 10: 15
Big 12: 17
Big East: 10
Pac-10: 17
SEC:16
MWC: 17
WAC: 18

Taking into account that the Big East has only eight teams, the other big conferences just have about as many teams finish below .500 as the MWC and the WAC do. I didn't even list the teams who were at .500.

Another point to consider is at least teams like BYU, TCU, Boise St., etc have a better out of conference schedule than the power teams. Penn State and Florida have laughable out of conference games so how we can measure that as the season progresses? The SEC is down this year so I won't be surprised if Florida runs the table until the SEC championship. It's the same way in basketball where mid-majors play over half their games on the road because the big schools are too scared to come to them.

Overall, you can't name me one conference that has good teams from top to bottom because most of the teams consisently are awful. It goes for each and every conference and there are usually two to three good teams in each conference every year.

They don't have good teams from top to bottom but overall the major conferences are better. Even the major conferences are going to have teams that are bad almost every year, but there are a lot less of those then in the smaller conferences like the MWC.

As far as out of conference schedule goes, only BYU has an out of conference schedule that I would say is good from the MWC. Every other team may have one tough game and the rest are cake walks. If the MWC can get a couple more teams that are consistently good or at least competitive then they can be considered for an automatic bid. Until that happens they just don't deserve one.

This is fucking ridiculous, you lose three of your power teams and see how your conference deals with it? Have the SEC lose FLA, Alabama, LSU and see how they fare as a conference.
We don't have to play make believe here, the SEC has sent every team in the conference to a bowl game in the past two seasons, so they would probably fare as well as any other conference if you took out the top 3 dogs.

So all in all the Mountain West doesn't deserve an automatic bid because once every four years they come up with one upset win...

This I completely agree with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back