The Mishandling of The Featherweight Division, UFC 149, and UFC on Fox

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
Back when UFC 149 was announced as having a main event of Jose Aldo vs. Erik Koch for the Featherweight Title, a lot of eyebrows were raised. Aldo is still not a PPV draw where he can carry a show on his back, and furthermore, Erik Koch is a virtual unknown to all casual fans and even most fans who follow the UFC closely, ensuring that this is not going to be a successful PPV. He leapfrogged the likes of Hatsu Hioki, Chan Sung Jung, and Koch's original opponent, Dustin Poirier, to get the shot. Koch had an unimpressive win over Jonathan Brookins to get his spot.

The prevailing theory was that the winner of Chan Sung Jung and Dustin Poirier, prior to the announcement of Koch getting the shot, would get the shot against Aldo. After a win in a Fight of the Night candidate last night, The Korean Zombie without a doubt earned his shot at the title... and he should be next in line for Aldo, not Erik Koch.

And if the UFC wanted to draw some attention to the Featherweight Division, and take a calculated risk that could pay dividends, especially coming off of a weak showing in the ratings after UFC on Fox 3, the wisest move would have been to book Jose Aldo vs. Chan Sung Jung as the main event of UFC on Fox 4.

Off the bat, you're giving people a reason to tune in... a title fight being given away for free. Both guys are extremely marketable, especially The Korean Zombie for obvious reasons. They also would have been building two budding stars, giving the Featherweight Division some much needed attention, and I personally think it would have been a huge success, especially where giving that fight away for free potentially could have been Griffin/Bonnar moment for the UFC's foray on Fox.

As much as I'm looking forward to Stann vs. Lombard, that is a real tough sell for UFC on Fox 4's main event. Not many people know who Lombard is at all. They're going to be spending so much time playing up Stann's story as well that when it comes time for the fight, I would bet that Lombard would still be a relative unknown to fans.

Am I wrong here? The UFC has had some questionable matchmaking decisions this year it seems. Aldo vs. The Korean Zombie for the Featherweight Title on Fox would have been a slam dunk.

You guys know I'm a huge Hatsu Hioki fan, but even as such... it was pretty disheartening when he declined the fight with Jose Aldo. I mean, it's respectable he wants another win before 'earning' it, but I'm a believer in making the most of the opportunities presented to you, and it severely disappoints me that Hioki didn't take this opportunity. And as Hioki's fan, I strongly believe he has the skill set to be the one to dethrone Aldo. I just wish he had that same confidence.

It's not the UFC's fault that Hioki declined the fight; however, it is the UFC fault to then put the guy on the prelim card for the next FX show. What sense does that make? If Hioki wins, then he's obviously going to get a title shot, so why aren't they showcasing him? It's completely ******ed, and proves that sometimes the UFC has no idea what they're doing.

That said, you can't blame the UFC for Koch vs. Aldo. I know you're a fan of his, Guy, but CHAEL SONNEN fucked the UFC 149 card up by refusing to fight on it, and the UFC needed a quick solution, and that was Jose Aldo. And since Hioki didn't take the fight, Koch was the only Featherweight around with a decent record who wasn't booked. They couldn't have predicted what was going to happen in the Zombie/Poirier fight, so it would have been too risky to set-up Aldo vs. the winner of that.

Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to see Zombie/Aldo headline UFC on Fox 4, I definitely would love to see it, but UFC 149 needed Jose Aldo after Chael backed out. They had no other option. That's a big event and it needed one of the two biggest Brazilian draws to headline it. It wouldn't be fair to those fans to take Aldo off that card.

As far as the Fox show is concerned... I feel like the UFC has completely dropped the ball with their run on Fox to this point. The first show should have put Bendo/Guida on the card, the 2nd was filled with a bunch of wrestlers, and the 3rd show didn't have one big name on it. And now the 4th show is looking a lot like the 3rd show. Will it be as good as the 3rd show? Probably, but it doesn't matter. The UFC should give us a huge free fight. Aldo/Zombie is a great idea, but IMO not possible. So that leaves us with Jon Jones/Hendo. Why not put that fight on free tv? Seriously, I know that's going to draw good pay-per-view numbers, but in the long run it'd pay off much more for the Fox audience to see Jon Jones. Not to mention it'd give the show a huge ratings boost, which the UFC could severely use right now.

I know it's easy to sit here and play armchair quarterback, but it just baffles my mind some of the decisions the UFC makes. It really does. The route they're going right now, then we've already seen the company reach its highest peak.

Jeff, I'm posting on my phone right now, and I can't really give an adequate response, I'll have one later, but Chael was never under consideration to fight at UFC 149, let alone have the opportunity to reject taking a fight on that card.

Shit, you're right. I was confusing UFC 149 and UFC 147. I feel dumb.

But now you really have an argument. This makes no sense whatsoever.

So, yeah... I say cancel Koch/Aldo right away and make Zombie/Aldo. Koch is in no position to bitch or cause up a stir over it. And while you're at it, yes... put it on the Fox card. It benefits everyone.

As proven in boxing these days, the 140-160 pound weight divisions are by far the most valuable in the combat sports (even in Kickboxing I would argue Masato was the biggest draw). People don't have the "those guys are small, I can beat their asses" mentality anymore. All they see is that those guys put on the best fights and that those divisions are by far the most stacked. And the UFC has no idea what the fuck they're doing with them. It's shameful, really.

All they see is that those guys put on the best fights and that those divisions are by far the most stacked. And the UFC has no idea what the fuck they're doing with them. It's shameful, really.

How do they not know what they're doing? How is any of this on Joe Silva or Sean Shelby?

They didn't plan for Hioki to turn down the shot. You say that Jung should be given the title shot, but based on what? Prior to his fight with Poirier, Jung's 2 consecutive wins came against Garcia and Hominick. Garcia was 2-1-1 in his past 4 before he fought Jung and one of those wins was over the Korean Zombie. He's since gone 0-2.

Mark Hominick was coming off a loss, but his was to Aldo. I won't even try to deny that a loss to Aldo is a good loss. However, Hominick has now lost 3 in a row and the win doesn't look that good.

Both Hominick and Garcia are 1-3 in their last 4 fights. They're 2-6 combined. Prior to Poirier, Jung's wins didn't look that good on paper. You can cite Jung's win over Poirier all you want as evidence, but Jung wouldn't have even been in that fight if Koch hadn't taken the title fight.

I guess you could ask for Koch to be pulled in favor of Jung, but that seems a bit absurd because they already agreed to the fight. Aside from that, Shelby and Silva knew enough about matchmaking to give you Zombie vs. Poirier. They also gave us Zombie vs. Garcia 2.

Hominick and Garcia might be bigger names than Assuncao, Brookins, and Rivera, but their body of work lately hasn't been up to snuff. Like it or not, that's going to hurt someone when they're trying to get a title shot.

Frankly, I am sort of happy that the UFC isn't considering a person's past when determining the value of a win. They have done that too many times. Shogun got a shot after beating Liddell and Coleman. Faber and Florian have gotten more cracks at shots with questionable wins than anyone I've seen. I think it's high time the UFC stopped looking at the name and began looking at what the name has accomplished lately.

Besides, the likeliest of scenarios here involved the Korean Zombie and Hioki facing off in a #1 contender match. Personally, I think that match is very exciting and I think it will prove if one of these guys is even ready to see Aldo in the Octagon.

First of all, you talk about Lombard and Koch being unknown to most fans, but you wanted to see Hioki get the shot?

Second, I always had Poirier pegged as the number two guy in the division, but now I need to re-think my rankings. I think Koch is probably the most credible guy at this point. His last performance may have been a bit under-whelming, but he's ridiculously well rounded and in phenomenal shape. Hioki has looked, to put it bluntly, awful since migrating to the UFC, and quite frankly, Zombie ain't all that either. Yes, he pushes a ******ed pace, but as a result, and we've seen it time and time again, his cardio is not up to par. He's had some nice wins, but other than beating Poirier, what has he done? Beat Leonard Garcia, who's the very definition of a hack? Catch Mark Hominick with a lucky punch, all because Hominick came out too aggressive? I honestly believe that after Poirier, Koch has the best chance. Not that it matters, because at this point, I see Aldo thrashing anybody put across from him. The division isn't as weak as some people claim it is, it's just another case of an insanely dominant champ.

Thirdly, I personally believe Aldo can absolutely sell a PPV. Anybody who knows anything about MMA knows that the guy is probably number 3 or 4 in the P4P rankings. With the exception of a single round against Hominick, he's looked untouchable. Give it time, he'll be a monster draw in the not too distant future. But in the mean time, he needs a chance to headline. And the rest of the main card looks pretty bad ass, so it's not like he'll have to carry the load by himself.

Lastly, Lombard may not be well known to non-UFC fans, but if they promote him the way they should, as the best MW in the world not named Anderson Silva, they could have a huge star on their hands. And with Machida on the card, once again, the main eventers don't have to sell it by themselves.

I gotta say when I saw the headliner for 149 I did do a double take to make sure I didnt see something that wasnt there. Koch is definitely a bright star in the division but isnt well known enough to really have a good build for a main event fight against Aldo, even Jose isnt the biggest sell for the main event slot even though he's so entertaining and a legit pound for pound king. The best thing that could happen is Koch getting injured honestly, because there is no way to sell this to the casual fans well and if nothing changes this card is not going to do well at all. Hioki is definitely a name that should be in there instead, although he isnt that well known to casuals either his accomplishments are enough to make it more interesting. The perfect scenario would be Koch fighting Hioki for the next shot and Zombie fighting Aldo at 149, and in the background Poirier waiting for the loser of Koch-Hioki. Everyone knows Jung after his 3 stellar performances since coming to the UFC, that would be an easy sell for a main event every day, dont know what they're thinking in this whole mess.

I absolutely think that putting Zombie and Aldo as the main event of a Fox card would be brilliant, with a co main like Stann vs Lombard that card would be epic. However while I do think that would help improve it I think that Fox 4 is going to be just fine the way it is, even if some people dont know who Lombard is they can always do the video packages and primetimes to get people into it and show them some of who he is, and ofcourse the fight itself is going to be incredible. Throw in fights like Machida-Bader and Rothwell-Browne on the card and the fans will get what they want for sure even if they dont know it yet.

Rothwell vs Browne is gonna be a mess. Ben's a joke, got lucky against Schaub(though Schaub is a joke as well). And Browne is not ready for top tier competition. Ben's not a top ten guy, so Browne should run right through him, but I don't think Browne is even close to being ready for the elite in the division. The closest he's come to fighting a top level opponent was Cheick Kongo, and if it weren't for Kongo's boneheaded-ness, he would've lost that fight.

And for those who don't seem aware of how regulatory commissions operate, after a grueling fight like the one with Poirier, the medical suspension would never allow Jung to be ready in time for a fight in July.

I gotta say when I saw the headliner for 149 I did do a double take to make sure I didnt see something that wasnt there. Koch is definitely a bright star in the division but isnt well known enough to really have a good build for a main event fight against Aldo, even Jose isnt the biggest sell for the main event slot even though he's so entertaining and a legit pound for pound king. The best thing that could happen is Koch getting injured honestly, because there is no way to sell this to the casual fans well and if nothing changes this card is not going to do well at all. Hioki is definitely a name that should be in there instead, although he isnt that well known to casuals either his accomplishments are enough to make it more interesting. The perfect scenario would be Koch fighting Hioki for the next shot and Zombie fighting Aldo at 149, and in the background Poirier waiting for the loser of Koch-Hioki. Everyone knows Jung after his 3 stellar performances since coming to the UFC, that would be an easy sell for a main event every day, dont know what they're thinking in this whole mess.

I have a problem with this line of think because it implies that a title shot should be based on popularity rather than talent. Jung only had 2 performances when Koch and Aldo agreed to the title fight. This performance would not have happened if Koch hadn't agreed to the Aldo fight, so you cannot use it as a basis to remove Koch from the fight in favor of the Zombie.

Neither one of these guys have the merits that scream "give them a title shot." Jung has been finished and beaten by questionable people and Roop flat kicked his head off. What do you think Aldo will do to him? The UFC chose Koch because Aldo already has communication problems. Jung-Aldo would be a PR nightmare in the states. Neither guy has great English and that's going to create problems when you're trying to market the fight.

People might not know who Koch is, but he speaks English. Also, Jung is about as well known as Koch. Neither one are a HUGE draw for casual fans. That's who matters in this equation. The casual fans will buy this fight for Aldo anyhow.

I don't think MMA fans realize how little the casual fan actually knows. They say things like "nobody knows who Koch is" as if anyone knows who Jung is either. Believe it or not, Jung wasn't going to push any more buys than Koch. Most people, like myself, already realize that neither fighter will last very long with Aldo.

I'm not saying that at all, I would say that Jung is more talented than Koch and has a better chance of beating Aldo, I dont think either will beat him right now but Jung is looking better every time we see him and would put up a good fight. I dont give a goddamn if Jung has had some losses to less talented fighters, when he has done since then makes him a legitimate contender without any doubt. When Aldo goes 5 rounds with Mark Hominick and nearly gets beat and then Jung KO's the Machine in 6 seconds you dont think he'd put up a good scrap? And since those losses of his he has revamped his style so he doesnt mindlessly brawl but is more technical and it's shown to work very well for him while still staying exciting.

Saying Jung is as well know as Koch is just plain wrong, whether you think he's deserving as him or not is opinion but Zombie may be as popular as Aldo himself right now. The guy gets tons of attention and has earned that popularity by giving us fights that take people out of their seats, you really think that the card would have trouble selling because Zombie doesnt speak english? This isnt a debate team face off, people will be sold on that fight because they know his reputation and that will do ten times what some pre fight chit chat between Aldo and Koch could ever do.

Jung is popular because he is talented, Koch is talented but he hasnt delivered to the fans like Zombie and that's why he would be a much easier sell. When that fight does happen lets take a look at the PPV buys and compare it to 149, if the latter is much lower dont be surprised.

I'm not saying that at all, I would say that Jung is more talented than Koch and has a better chance of beating Aldo, I dont think either will beat him right now but Jung is looking better every time we see him and would put up a good fight. I dont give a goddamn if Jung has had some losses to less talented fighters, when he has done since then makes him a legitimate contender without any doubt. When Aldo goes 5 rounds with Mark Hominick and nearly gets beat and then Jung KO's the Machine in 6 seconds you dont think he'd put up a good scrap? And since those losses of his he has revamped his style so he doesnt mindlessly brawl but is more technical and it's shown to work very well for him while still staying exciting.

Saying Jung is as well know as Koch is just plain wrong, whether you think he's deserving as him or not is opinion but Zombie may be as popular as Aldo himself right now. The guy gets tons of attention and has earned that popularity by giving us fights that take people out of their seats, you really think that the card would have trouble selling because Zombie doesnt speak english? This isnt a debate team face off, people will be sold on that fight because they know his reputation and that will do ten times what some pre fight chit chat between Aldo and Koch could ever do.

Jung is popular because he is talented, Koch is talented but he hasnt delivered to the fans like Zombie and that's why he would be a much easier sell. When that fight does happen lets take a look at the PPV buys and compare it to 149, if the latter is much lower dont be surprised.

No, Jung and Aldo would be far from a good scrap and I don't think you can find me a shred of evidence that would indicate otherwise. Go back and rewatch Jung's first fight with Garcia. For that matter, watch their second fight too. There is zero chance that Jung stands in the pocket with Aldo and trades with him effectively.

Additionally, there is zero chance Jung is able to use his 2" reach and pick Aldo apart from the outside. He does not have the wrestling to take Aldo down, he does not have Hominick's patience and technical prowess, and he isn't even close to Aldo's grappling ability.

You can cite his impressive twister finish all you want, but the reality is that Aldo is a great grappler with tremendous striking. Jung has a decent sized hype-train, but everyone is too busy drinking the kool-aid to live in reality. I'm a HUGE Korean Zombie fan, but I am under zero disillusions that he possesses the skill-set to beat Aldo.

How is saying that Jung is as well known as Koch is just plain wrong? It's far from wrong. You're looking at this from your lens instead of a casual fan. I don't think people truly grasp the meaning of casual fan. It means they will watch the sport if it's on and nothing more exciting is on, but they don't follow it or track down news on the sport.

In that sense, neither fight has made an iota of progress in the "well-known" category. Most people that are casual fans know the bigger names in the sport. I know plenty of casual fans that don't even know who Pat Barry is, let alone the Korean Zombie.

I'm also not a fan of using Hominick as a litmus test for Jung's "greatness." It ignores several key factors:

1. That was Hominick's first fight without Tompkins

2. It was a flash KO

3. That fight didn't last long enough to take away ANYTHING from it.

Koch is a game competitor and even he admits he would like to have a little bit more time in the game, but he wanted the Aldo fight and Hioki didn't. When I spoke with Koch, he admitted that Aldo was the absolute toughest test in the game. Even Gamburyan told me that Aldo hits hard than anyone you can imagine. Most Featherweights I've spoken to have all said the same thing about Aldo; "for as good as he is and as much attention as he gets, he is MASSIVELY deceiving"

Every single one of them have told me the same thing; Aldo is the toughest fight they have had in their life and people cannot truly comprehend how hard that man hits for how accurate he is in the cage. It's like I said earlier, I don't really feel like either one of these guys is going to beat Aldo, but Koch was in the right place at the right time and Jung wasn't really poised to make the same claim until he had that amazing fight against Poirier.

People are retroactively saying that the UFC made a bad decision by picking Koch because they watched the Poirier-Jung fight. What they keep glossing over or ignoring is that he would have never been in that fight if Koch hadn't said yes to fighting Aldo. It's just my two cents.

As I said before, talking about Jung's WEC fights in talking about him now is pretty much pointless because he's not only improved immensely but he's changed his style so much. I've not once said Zombie would win a fight with Aldo but he'd have a better chance than Koch and would put on a better show.

You seem to be looking at this sport with this delusional mindset that you know what others are thinking and how other fans feel and think, but you aint hittin the target boyo. Nobody knows Koch, sure the hardcore guys know him but I doubt any small time fan has heard of him and I hadnt heard much of anything about him since he won that lackluster decision over Brookins, and the only thing since was that he was getting the title shot. Meanwhile Jung has been racking up impressive victories that anyone who pays a little attention to the sport has heard at least some buzz about the guy.

Sure neither guy is a synonymous with the sport but in the division before Koch was given the Aldo fight nobody was thinking about him, it was Poirier, Jung, Hioki and Koch on the rise behind them. You can do all you want to say that Jung wouldnt have what it takes against Aldo but you cannot convince anyone that Koch is a better selection in any way for this fight aside from your idea that because he speaks english he's a better choice....
I know plenty of casual fans who dont know who Junior dos Santos is, does that mean he isnt gonna sell? There are gonna be casual fans out there who dont know alot of people, but if the majority of them know anyone other than Aldo in the division it's Jung by a mile, he's earned popularity from his entertaining style and improving skills, he is the legit contender at the weight class and is a better sell.

You dont want to take anything away from the Hominick fight, that's fine but saying it didnt show anything is pure BS. Not having Tompkins has hurt Hominick and Stout for that matter but that would effect his game plan and his heart, but not his chin. What is showed was for 5 rounds Aldo took it to Hominick and couldnt finish him, while it took Jung a few seconds to put him away, that shows a hell of a lot to me. It would have shown us more if the fight went longer sure but there is always something to take away from a fight and Jung showed us that he can finish an elite level opponent with his striking, and then in his next fight showed he can with his submissions.

Aldo is definitely that good, he's dominated the weight class and everyone he's faced. I agree that I dont think either one of them would win but we're talking about who deserves it more and who gives us a better show and appealing main event for a PPV. Koch is a game opponent, he's a talented young fighter on the rise and I respect that he took the fight and wish him luck, but that doesnt change that there wont be many fans casual and hardcore that are going to be interested in this fight half as much as they would for Chan Sung Jung vs Jose Aldo. People can say all they want, I'm saying that even without the Poirier fight(although that definitely improved his stock) he would have been a better choice, both guys were 2-0 in the UFC at the time and although Koch was riding a streak from the WEC Zombie's popularity and more exciting performances in his 2 UFC bouts made him a more appealing candidate.

As I said before, talking about Jung's WEC fights in talking about him now is pretty much pointless because he's not only improved immensely but he's changed his style so much. I've not once said Zombie would win a fight with Aldo but he'd have a better chance than Koch and would put on a better show.

So, let me get this straight, Jung's WEC fights are pointless, but me saying "placing value in the Hominick victory is pointless" somehow isn't? I'm not sure I follow your logic, but okay. If you can make excuses for one, you can make excuses for another. I don't think either fighter stand a chance and I think it's going to be a one sided ass-kicking either way. It will be a show, but it won't be the Zombie putting it on. It also won't be Koch.

You seem to be looking at this sport with this delusional mindset that you know what others are thinking and how other fans feel and think, but you aint hittin the target boyo. Nobody knows Koch, sure the hardcore guys know him but I doubt any small time fan has heard of him and I hadnt heard much of anything about him since he won that lackluster decision over Brookins, and the only thing since was that he was getting the title shot. Meanwhile Jung has been racking up impressive victories that anyone who pays a little attention to the sport has heard at least some buzz about the guy.

It's sort of my job to know what others are thinking. So, yes. I talk about this sport on a daily basis. With fighters, managers, fans, and agents. I have a pretty good sense of what the casual fan watches. I've had to have one for my own personal life because some of my friends aren't going to care when I see HUGE MMA news and want to talk about it. They care when it's someone they know (Jon Jones' DUI), but they don't care about stuff like Marquardt's Pennsylvania debacle.

You seem to think that the "small time fan" knows who Jung is and they don't. You used the key word; "Small-time" fans don't know who many people are. They're small fans of the sport. Take NASCAR for example; I couldn't give a shit about that sport. I'll watch when important sports moments are happening, but if it weren't those, I wouldn't know who anyone was in that sport. I'd know Junior, Tony Stewart, and Jimmy Johnson. That's about it.

The casual fan will buy what people tell them to buy. If a particular card has a bunch of hardcore fans screaming and hollering, the casual fan will purchase it. The UFC does an excellent job--probably better than anyone, including Vince McMahon--in the business of selling fights and creating promos for events.

Take a look at Mir-dos Santos. That fight was supposed to be Overeem-JDS and people were hyped for it. The UFC put together a remarkable promo for Mir-JDS and actually managed to get you excited as hell for a main event that should be so predictable that it's disgusting. Yet, I cannot help but get pumped as hell when I see that ad.

Sure neither guy is a synonymous with the sport but in the division before Koch was given the Aldo fight nobody was thinking about him, it was Poirier, Jung, Hioki and Koch on the rise behind them. You can do all you want to say that Jung wouldnt have what it takes against Aldo but you cannot convince anyone that Koch is a better selection in any way for this fight aside from your idea that because he speaks english he's a better choice....
I know plenty of casual fans who dont know who Junior dos Santos is, does that mean he isnt gonna sell? There are gonna be casual fans out there who dont know alot of people, but if the majority of them know anyone other than Aldo in the division it's Jung by a mile, he's earned popularity from his entertaining style and improving skills, he is the legit contender at the weight class and is a better sell.

My job isn't to convince you that Jung would sell better. I don't care about that. A bear vs. Overeem would sell like hotcakes, but that doesn't make it worth anyone's time. Simply put, neither guy are ready for Aldo and Hioki looks like a genius for taking one more fight. Even if he winds up losing it, he still finds out where he's at in the division before taking on a beast like Aldo.

Jung is no more of a "legit" contender than Koch. What you're failing to realize is that there is no serious threat to Aldo at the FW division. He's mopped the floor with the best they had to offer. Neither Koch nor Jung are going to flash anything at Aldo that he hasn't seen before. I mean, people don't realize how solidified some of these champions happen to be.

Anderson has just been unstoppable and if he gets through Sonnen, it's over. He will likely lose from not caring before he loses based on skill. One could argue that it's the same with Cruz, GSP, Aldo, and Jones.

You guys don't realize that you're witnessing a changing point in MMA. If you take a god's honest look at the LHW division, it's weak as shit. The cupboard containing fighters that pose a genuine and legitimate threat to Jones' reign is damn near empty. Jones just made the second best LHW in UFC history look like a joke. Rashad's record speaks for itself, his list of wins speaks for itself, and his impressive ways of doing so speak for themselves. Aldo is just as talented, if not more, than Jones.

You keep pointing to the Hominick fight as some indication that he has some glaring weakness in his game. Aldo had one bad round in his UFC career. He's been an absolute juggernaut every other time we've seen him. You said it yourself, he's dominated the division.

You dont want to take anything away from the Hominick fight, that's fine but saying it didnt show anything is pure BS. Not having Tompkins has hurt Hominick and Stout for that matter but that would effect his game plan and his heart, but not his chin. What is showed was for 5 rounds Aldo took it to Hominick and couldnt finish him, while it took Jung a few seconds to put him away, that shows a hell of a lot to me. It would have shown us more if the fight went longer sure but there is always something to take away from a fight and Jung showed us that he can finish an elite level opponent with his striking, and then in his next fight showed he can with his submissions.

His chin? You're serious? First off, if his chin is busted, it's not because of Jung. Hominick has had 31 fights. That will take its toll on anybody's chin.

Additionally, Aldo fought Hominick and couldn't knock him out, but you're treating it like Hominick's chin had anything to do with the loss. You do realize that fighters with excellent chins can have their lights turned out by a well placed shot, right? Also, Hominick wasn't exactly KO-KO'ed. The fight was done, but Hominick wasn't unconscious. If you want to point to a weak chin, cite fighters like Goulet, Arlovski, and Liddell (at the end of his career). Hominick was caught with a great shot, got pounded on before he could get his wits back, and the fight was over. Had nothing to do with his "chin."

You have a massively distorted view of reality if your take-away from the Hominick MMAth was "Jung could finish Hominick and Aldo couldn't." That logic is ridiculous. That's like saying Jones couldn't finish Rashad, but Machida finished him. What did that "show" you? I hope the same thing, if that's the argument you're using.

Jung had an impressive submission, but so did Amir Sadollah. Placing stock in that is worthless. Aldo is a black belt with the Noguieria brothers and Jung is not Frank Mir. The twister was effective because Garcia noticed it too late. Eddie Bravo himself told me that he loved seeing it MMA, but it's not difficult to see coming. Praising Jung's grappling skills for a Twister and D'Arce choke isn't something I'm ready to do when his potential opponent is a Noguieria black belt.

Aldo is definitely that good, he's dominated the weight class and everyone he's faced. I agree that I dont think either one of them would win but we're talking about who deserves it more and who gives us a better show and appealing main event for a PPV. Koch is a game opponent, he's a talented young fighter on the rise and I respect that he took the fight and wish him luck, but that doesnt change that there wont be many fans casual and hardcore that are going to be interested in this fight half as much as they would for Chan Sung Jung vs Jose Aldo. People can say all they want, I'm saying that even without the Poirier fight(although that definitely improved his stock) he would have been a better choice, both guys were 2-0 in the UFC at the time and although Koch was riding a streak from the WEC Zombie's popularity and more exciting performances in his 2 UFC bouts made him a more appealing candidate.

All your main points have "exciting" and "popular" in them. That's not what combat sports are supposed to be about. At the end of the day, neither fighter's opponents made them stand out above the other. As a matter of fact, most people were saying that Jung's win over Hominick would likely not happen if they rematched until Hominick's last fight with Yagin and Jung's last fight with Poirier.

Everybody's comments are based on revisionist history. It's a "now that I know what happened, this is how I see it."

Sure, it's easy to make the case for Jung now, but it wasn't such a "gimme" when Jung's win over Hominick was being questioned because of Tompkins' death and his clear-cut best win was over Garcia. Nothing Koch had stood out anymore than what Jung had. Sure, Jung had Hominick, but he also had losses to Roop and Garcia prior to that fight.

As a matter of fact, Prior to Jung's fight with Poirier, he was 2-2 in his last 4 with one of his wins coming over a man who lost a father figure right before the fight, but whose last fight was for the UFC title.

Jung was actually 2-3 in his last 5 prior to that Hominick fight. Not exactly rocking the most amazing of streaks. Add that to the fact that all 3 of Jung's losses had come as soon as the competition was raised and you get the same predicament that you do with Koch.

Koch might not have a Hominick on his resume, but he is riding a 4 fight win streak with his only loss coming to the last man to fight Aldo. It's not exactly like Assuncao was weak competition. Brookins also has fought Aldo and was finished by him. Koch is the only loss that Brookins has had since facing Aldo in the WEC.

Both fighters had a case and the UFC chose Koch. I think it could have went either way, but I'm not going to complain about it or say that they're somehow screwing up the matchmaking because of it. I find it irrational and nonsensical if you use the logical approach and take into consideration the reality of the decision the UFC had to make.

Either guy could have got the nod and I don't think it would have been unfair either way. If the UFC had chosen Jung, I'd be making these same comments to Koch supporters.

That's the central point I've been making all night and the one that I still believe to be true.

I guess you dont get it, my point there is he has evolved so much since his stint in the WEC that basing something off that wouldnt do too much considering he isnt the same guy as he was then, that's all im saying there.

Just because you work in the industry doesnt make you all knowing and all seeing dude, I talk MMA every day nearly all day and I dont just talk about it but I participate in it and train with some of the best at the Pleasant Hill Gracie Academy. Pretty much anyone who's a hardcore fan has to deal with those friends who arent really into it and get caught up in the news like Jones getting a DUI and what not but that doesnt change the fact that Jung is more marketable because of what he's done in the cage and you arent doing anything here to challenge that.

The small time fans are more likely going to know Zombie than Koch, if youre really going to nit pick I doubt many would even know who Aldo is but the best known contender is Jung. And with 146 it definitely was more competitive before but Mir-Junior might not be as one sided as you expect. I get your point that they can do wonders with the prime time series and I agree, but I still dont see that doing much for Koch. The guy is just plain not going to sell on this card, it's not a fight many people are going to get excited about.

Did you read anything I said, Aldo will beat either guy. That is not what we're talking about here, there isnt a serious threat to him but what you need to understand here is im saying that one guy is a more respectable contender and a better sell but i'm gettin tired or reiterating that point.

I'm pointing to the Hominick fight to show that although he is dominant and doesnt have a clear threat in the division he is human and can be challenged by a guy like Jung who made quick work of a guy he couldnt finish and had some trouble with. Does that mean that I think he's gonna beat Aldo? No fuckin way but he's got the best chance of anyone and he'd give us a great show til he got finished.

I dont know what your point is by talking about citing fighters with weak chins because I'm obviously not saying that Hominick should fall under that category, and ofcourse it could have been a bad angle that caught Mark or just bad luck but unless youre Mark or God you dont know for sure and shouldnt cast it away like its nothing. My point is that you never cast aside something like that, it could be a fluke and it could be skill, from what we continue to see from Jung it looks like the latter to me.

What you should take away from looking at Hominick against Aldo and Jung is that Jung has the skill to deal with someone like Hominick who gave Aldo his toughest fight yet, am I saying he's going to walk through Aldo's offense and cold cock him? No, I'm providing facts to support that he is a legit contender, nobody's citing the twister but you and I'm well aware that the twister is one that you can see coming from miles away. Jung is a solid fighter in every area, that's whats being said here. Nobody's saying he's gonna submit, knock out or beat Aldo in any way but he's well qualified to give him a great fight in every area.

Actually exciting and popular are a big part of this sport, putting on good exciting fights is what gets you the popularity and when you do so by putting on great fights and racking up impressive wins along the way then you're set. Obviously just because someone is popular doesnt mean they're better, but when deciding who is more deserving / would get people pumped for a fight the guy who has made his name based off his reputation as a fighter who entertains is gonna take the cake. Yes both guys are good choices and both are good fighters, but the best seller is Jung and that's what I've been saying all night. Either guy could have gotten the nod and it wouldnt have been a big deal, I dont disagree with that but I'm saying is I believe Jung is the better choice, that is what you need to grasp. End of story.

Yes both guys are good choices and both are good fighters, but the best seller is Jung and that's what I've been saying all night. Either guy could have gotten the nod and it wouldnt have been a big deal, I dont disagree with that but I'm saying is I believe Jung is the better choice, that is what you need to grasp. End of story.

The bold part is my point and you just agreed with it so I am good too.

I just disagree with the original post's claim that the UFC is mishandling the lighter weight classes. I think this was a case where either guy would have been acceptable as a replacement option for Hioki. I don't think that the UFC has messed up because they picked Koch instead of Jung.

First of all, Jung won't wait around, he'll end up taking another fight first. And if he gets, say, Chad Mendes, he'll probably get smothered.

And Jung, regardless of what you might think, is still a brawler. So he's shown a penchant for submissions. He's still a swing-for-the-fences wildman. He showed that once again in the fight with Poirier. He was exhausted by the third round and just started winging those wild, looping overhand rights.

Koch is more well-rounded, has a better chance... But it's all irrelevant, cause both of them will get pounded. It could be a two-on-one handicap match, and Aldo would probably still win in the first round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back