The Maze in The Shining

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
Now this is cool and worth a watch to work out just how dedicated to making a replica movie prop can be

[YOUTUBE]zAGu2TPt_78[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]NRAqx8stEnY[/YOUTUBE]

Both videos are well worth a watch as they go into real detail. I also think that if I can be bothered in the next year or so if I have the time this looks like a fun project to try and pull off.

You know, first time I ever watched this film, my ******** mate got drunk and talked all through that maze scene, there is me getting all tense and shit, a rarity for horror films with me, and he's just like "my girlfriend hates me, my life is shit!" ruined that film for me for life, the cunt. We aren't friends anymore.

You know, first time I ever watched this film, my ******** mate got drunk and talked all through that maze scene, there is me getting all tense and shit, a rarity for horror films with me, and he's just like "my girlfriend hates me, my life is shit!" ruined that film for me for life, the cunt. We aren't friends anymore.

What a bastard, ruining a seminal Kubrick film for you. Kubrick's films need multiple viewings to even begin to decipher their true motivations.

Also, I always imagined myself trying to navigate this maze while watching the film and reading the novel. Something so simple, yet horrifying.

Is weird I like Stanley Kubrick but have never seen 2001, The Shining or Eyes Wide Shut

Is weird I like Stanley Kubrick but have never seen 2001, The Shining or Eyes Wide Shut

You're missing out. 2001, well, I'll be honest unless you enjoy the use of psychedelic drugs or are very much into the artier aspects of filmmaking and don't mind sitting through 20 minutes of monkeys shouting at each other with no dialogue at all as well as other long periods of time where only music accompanies the images, you probably won't like it. I've only seen it a handful of times since my first viewing at age 13, but I've grown to love it more with each viewing as it's such a multi-layered film open to all kinds of interpretations.

The Shining is a horror classic. It differs heavily from Stephen King's book, but that's honestly a good thing as Kubrick gets rid of some of the fluff and improves on the concept by using atmosphere and location to build a sense of dread that's nearly unrivaled in film history. Every person who enjoys a good horror film NEEDS to see this at least once.

Eyes Wide Shut is a strange beast. Very sexual, very dark, but more character driven than any of his films. He really explores the nature of a relationship and our expectations vs. reality in this one, and while it's good, even great, I personally wouldn't rank it above earlier masterpieces by the man like A Clockwork Orange or 2001. Still, important film in his repertoire.

Kubrick was a maverick. One of those directors whose work you can almost always immediately recognize because of his distinct style.

You're missing out. 2001, well, I'll be honest unless you enjoy the use of psychedelic drugs or are very much into the artier aspects of filmmaking and don't mind sitting through 20 minutes of monkeys shouting at each other with no dialogue at all as well as other long periods of time where only music accompanies the images, you probably won't like it. I've only seen it a handful of times since my first viewing at age 13, but I've grown to love it more with each viewing as it's such a multi-layered film open to all kinds of interpretations.

Have you seen it on the big screen, X?

It was re-released by the BFI on a limited release at the end of last year and it gave me goosebumbps/shivers. It's overwhelming.

I find it to be one of the most disturbing films of all time simply because I was scared shitless as a kid by the idea of machines taking over anyway (thanks parents for letting your 8 year old watch the first two Terminator films) and a fear of what we really are in the grand scheme of things. Kurbirck was a master for making you feel deeply uneasy. It surfaces in The Shining too.

Michel Hazanavicius (Director of The Artist said:
Mastermind. The perfect mechanism. So perfect that it stays in the irrational. Hyper-visual, hyper-cinematographic, hyper-perverse and at the same time accessible to everyone.

That's what The Shining is to me; a hypnotic repitition of life and how its clockwork nature and machine like repitition can entrap us into a personal, living hell. The Maze is a very literal manifestation of that. The genius thing about it though? Jack's already in hell.

Watching the car journey in, he doesn't go on a steady descent, he's already ready to rip Wendy and Danny's heads off. The Overlook simply gives him that last push.

Any time I see people discuss The Shining, I feel obliged to recommend checking out the documentary Room 237. It's just voice-overs of people discussing different theories in the film but its really well presented.

Am I the only one that is impressed by the fact that the maze model was recreated in this much detail on a whim.

Have you seen it on the big screen, X?

It was re-released by the BFI on a limited release at the end of last year and it gave me goosebumbps/shivers. It's overwhelming.

I find it to be one of the most disturbing films of all time simply because I was scared shitless as a kid by the idea of machines taking over anyway (thanks parents for letting your 8 year old watch the first two Terminator films) and a fear of what we really are in the grand scheme of things. Kurbirck was a master for making you feel deeply uneasy. It surfaces in The Shining too.

I haven't but I can only imagine how wonderful it is. All the stories I've read of hippies eating acid and going to see it on the big screen in the sixties have me jealous. It's funny cause I actually rewatched the film for the first time in many years only about a week ago. Was just transfixed by it. It's so majestically beautiful and yet as you said, simultaneously terrifying. The cold, mechanical nature of HAL juxtaposed with his all too human emotions like fear being the catalyst for his actions just makes him such an understandably horrifying villain. It's almost a horror film in some ways with HAL's systemic killing of the crew members.

It's not the weirdest thing Kubrick fans have done.

Besides, his best film is Dr. Strangelove.

Yeah it is. He understood that vital thing, when Peter Sellers goes off on one, just keep the camera's rolling and turn the lights off above the extra's so you can't see them laughing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back