The History of "The Torch" Being Passed

HBK89Bill

Pre-Show Stalwart
The mystical torch of professional wrestling is such an interesting debate. We can all acknowledge that “the torch” is very suggestive and unclear. In reality, it isn’t actually a real thing, but it cannot be denied that there is an argument to be made for a torch bearer. The guy who holds the fire of pro wrestling. The guy who is trusted with the flame of pro wrestling. The one guy who is carrying the narrative of what pro wrestling is currently about. In the narrative of wrestling where all stories are told, there is always someone who is “the guy”. You can be a top guy, or a marquee guy but not a torch bearer. You can be the champion of wrestling, but not the torch bearer. Triple H is the perfect example of someone who was the embodiment of what a WWE Champion should be, but he didn’t hold the torch in his prime. Batista is a perfect example of a marquee guy and a good champion who never held the torch.

In my opinion, it is about momentum, booking, fan support, perception and work rate that make you the torch bearer. The title isn’t a measuring stick for that, but it obviously plays a significant role. For me, holding the torch comes down to big moments and small ones. Sometimes the passing of the torch is a massive moment and sometimes it is quiet. The awareness of “the torch” and it’s position in WWE history is a key argument that wrestling fans need to understand. I want to see where this line is marked in wrestling history. From my perspective, I want to do my best to open this conversation up for debate the look at the line of torch bearers in WWE history.

The first historical champion is Buddy Rodgers. In that era, there was really only one name: Bruno Sammartino. In my opinion, Sammartino set the torch on fire. The torch eventually falls to Bob Backlund. You just can’t argue with the title runs, their momentum in that era and booking. It isn’t until Hulk Hogan takes the torch in 1984 from The Iron Sheik that it becomes noticeable. It can’t be argued that to mainstream wrestling history that Hogan is the pioneer. He made the torch burn hotter and brighter than almost everyone who has ever wrestled. I’d argue that he gave it to Warrior at Mania VI because a year later, Hogan is right back in the main event of Wrestlemania VII. There really is no debate, or question that “the torch” is Hogan’s until his departure for WCW. However, this is where the timeline starts to raise questions. Did Hogan take “the torch” with him? Because if he did, one could argue he never lost it in WCW. Sure, he put guys over like Goldberg in Atlanta on Nitro, but was there a big moment that lead to the torch passing in momentum like when Hogan beat Iron Sheik? I would argue no. From my perspective then, Hogan gives it to The Rock in 2002 at Wrestlemania XVIII. If you are dead set on Goldberg getting it from Hogan in that big moment on Nitro, then Nash gets it when he beats Goldberg’s Streak because Goldberg never lived the end of The Streak down. A week later, the Fingerpoke of Doom gives it back to Hogan, then it gets passed around WCW until Booker T ends the company with it. The other biggest issue is who carries “the torch” in WWF? It is just an over complicated mess of perspective of all of us.

The solution is Hogan creates a second torch that he takes with him to WCW while giving the original to Yokozuna at King of the Ring 1993. In my opinion, Hogan deserves to be the creator of a second torch and he holds it until Mania 18 against The Rock. I’ll get to that. In WWF, “the torch” sorta gets passed around a little between Yokozuna, Bret Hart and Diesel for a few years. Hart ends up with it somewhere in 1994 and 1995. It is a little messy, but Hart was so over in WWF at that time. There is no way he didn’t end up the torch bearer during that time. But then, along comes Shawn Michaels. I’d argue they traded it back and forth until The Montreal Screwjob where Vince McMahon essentially took it from Bret Hart and gave it to Shawn Michaels. There is a lot of depth in that era that I’d like to discuss. However, HBK ends up with “the torch” as The Hitman leaves for WCW. At Wrestlemania XIV, Michaels gives “the torch” to Stone Cold Steve Austin.

You may disagree with how we got here, but you can’t argue that Austin was WWF’s torchbearer for the rest of the 90’s. We can argue about The Rock and Triple H sharing it in 2000, but it is definitely Austin’s in 2001 either way. What’s interesting now is that when you look at the year of 2002, both torches come under the same roof. Hogan’s comes over from WCW and he gives it to The Rock in March at Mania. I think that is crystal clear. Austin’s torch however becomes in question when he “takes his ball (torch) and goes home”. Austin sort of hijacks that torch. Then at Summerslam 2002, The Rock gives “torch 2″ to Brock Lesnar as “The Next Big Thing” and essentially makes his first major move to transition to Hollywood full time. When Austin returns in 2003, does he give it to The Rock in his retirement match at Wrestlemania XIX? Because Lesnar wins the main event of that Wrestlemania and his torch is bright. What happened to Austin’s torch?

In my mind, Austin’s torch is given to The Rock at Mania 19. The issue with that is Rock puts over Goldberg and then he is essentially gone for almost a decade. If that is accurate, then that torch is hijacked again until 2013 at Wrestlemania XXIX against John Cena. How can The Rock hold the torch, but never be involved for that long? Austin’s year is understandable, but Rock’s is too long. Does that torch finally burn out? My stance on that matter is that era was so bright that it required two torches. I think The Rock holding the torch for a decade is a testament to that era’s importance that no one was worthy of that honor until the right time.

With that torch gone, there is something interesting that occurs. Simultaneously, there is the honor of being “the champion” of WWE. There are now two belts and while Lesnar’s torch is one issue, I’d argue that being “the champion” becomes the other. I believe that when Triple H is crowned the WWE World Heavyweight Champion by Eric Bischoff, he is given that title of “the champion”. That lasts for him until Wrestlemania XXI against Batista. That event is crucial because going back to Lesnar’s torch in 2003, when does his torch get passed? My argument is at No Way Out 2004 when he gives it to Eddie Guerrero. A month later, Lesnar puts over Goldberg at Mania and is gone until 2012. Does he take “the torch” with him? I believe that Guerrero was massively over with the audience and had enough momentum and had a big enough moment at No Way Out to classically “steal the torch” from Lesnar. I think Eddie has it for a few months and loses it to JBL that summer. I do question if JBL was over enough to be a torch bearer, but he did carry Smackdown as the biggest heel for over a year. That eventually leads us back to Mania 21 as John Cena emerges the new torch bearer while on the same night, Batista becomes “the champion” of WWE.

As complicated as this has been, I firmly believe there are two torches and one champion. The Rock holds one in exile and Cena holds the other one. Batista is “the champion” in 2005. It makes sense that in early 2006 when Batista relinquishes his title and leaves due to injury, the battle between Edge and Cena is for the honor of being “The Champion”. I think this is a battle that Cena wins. This makes the TLC match between those two men the deciding match for that prize at Unforgiven 2006. It is on top of the ladder where Cena becomes “The Champion” in one hand, and holds “The Torch” in the other. His title reign lasts for 380 days. I don’t believe Cena loses “The Torch” for years, but he does lose his status as “The Champion” when he goes down to an injury and Randy Orton takes his place. Orton and Triple H battle that out for awhile, but the 2009 feud between Orton and Cena determines “The Champion” which is another battle which Cena ultimately wins. Cena holds that status until CM Punk finally defeats him to become “The Champion”. He holds that status in my world for the next two years.

In 2011, The Rock returns with Hogan’s torch. Cena is the other torch holder. Punk is “The Champion”. I believe the major battles of this era begin at Wrestlemania 28 when the two torchbearers face off. A battle that The Rock wins. I think at that event, The Rock creates “The Super Torch” which finally combines the two. The Rock eventually becomes “The Champion” at the Royal Rumble 2013 when he defeats Punk. When two months later at Wrestlemania 29, Cena becomes both “The Champion” and the sole holder of “The Torch” in professional wrestling to date as The Rock ends his career. This actually fits everything together perfectly. If you are still reading and could follow the line, it does actually make a lot of sense.

In recent history, I’d argue Daniel Bryan became “The Champion” at Summerslam 2013, but lost the status due to the injury after Wrestlemania XXX. Cena won it back at Money in the Bank, but lost it to Brock Lesnar at Summerslam 2014. Lesnar still holds that status of “The Champion”, but it appears the next chapter of history is Roman Reigns becoming “The Champion” next month at Wrestlemania XXXI. There is no question at this point that there is only one torch in this business right now and it is in Cena’s hand.

Perhaps, this doesn’t make sense at all. After all, “The Torch” is a mystical metaphor to try to identify the momentum patterns and big moments in the pro wrestling narrative. There is obviously a lot in between all that we just explored. I can’t argue though now that I have written it all out, and hopefully now that you have read it all that there is a certain line and a sense of a clear story as to how wrestling has been told. It comes off like Greek or Roman mythology a little bit, but there is a fluidity to the passing of the torch from wrestler to wrestler. Even if my interpretation is inaccurate, there are certain adjustments that can be made to fit another’s narrative. I think we got it very close. Now, I just need a timeline on a chalkboard.

Think you are overthinking it. Let me explain that on example of football. With EC 2008, WC 2010 and EC 2012 Spain was not just most dominating team in football maybe in history of the game but most accomplished because in 3 Championships they got 3 wins. And yet in WC 2014 Germany won. Spain lost in group stage and didnt even qualify for 1/8 Finals. And yet "The Torch" was easily in Germanys hand with destroying host of the whole tournament Brasil and winning whole thing in process. Spain will maybe never recover and win something else and while that "Torch" was never passed to Germany they clearly have it now.

Apply that to wrestling eventhough its scripted sport. The Rock doesnt need to pass anything to John Cena, Cena has allready carried that Torch for quite a while. The Rock may just confirm it, but cant pass anything because it isnt his Torch for almost 10 years. Punk beaten Cena in 2011 and Bryan in 2013 at SummerSlam did it also but none of them had Torch because none of them was elevated into "The Man", somebody who would carry the company for next couple of years at least. Reigns will maybe carry that torch once but not even after he beats Lesnar. He would still have to be "The Man" because ultimatly it comes down on that. So if you look at it with Hogan and beyond, for WWF/WWE was Hogan- Hart- Michaels- Austin- Rock- HHH(mostly transicional time but you can argue with him being dominant man)- Cena. So you see, sometimes you cant pass "The Torch", its just who has taken it. :)

The "torch" was a creation to sell WrestleMania III. Since Hogan was already the champion Vince needed a storyline to sell WrestleMania III to the fans. Hogan/Bundy had bombed the year before with no storyline so obviously SOME drama was needed. So the storyline was created about Andre being "undefeated" for 10 years and the face of the WWWF under Vince Sr. being jealous of the new star Hogan. I think the whole "torch" thing came after Andre turned back babyface and we look back on it as Andre passing "the torch" to Hogan but in reality Hogan had been "the man" for three years up to that point. Remember Andre technically beat Hogan to regain the WWF Championship in their rematch but to answer your question "the torch" was just a storyline.

Passing the torch came about from WM3 as Andre was nearing the end of his career and Hogan, while not young, was the main event. It was a good storyline but the phrase only applies to that match. You have had long reigning champions that had tired of the belt or was good for business to change like Bruno indirectly to Backlund and Backlund indirectly to Hogan and after that the title changed every couple weeks or month.

The reality is that "passing the torch" is a myth that was concocted by Vince as a way to sell taking the loss to Andre and later Hogan when he felt it was time for a change. Neither guy HAD to do the job, and business wouldn't have suffered particularly had they not done so but this was used as a way for them to "not lose face" to the boys and paint them as granting an honour rather than doing their job.

A lot of the "myths" wrestling is built on are fabrications like this, not just passing the torch, starting as schmoozing for a particular talent which then had to be carried on forevermore.

Thanking an opponent for the match, the "wrestling" handshake that everyone admits is the most insincere thing in the business, "Anything can happen" and even the concept of a "fighting champion", wrestler's court, ribs... are all constructs designed to keep arrogant, self centred people on point.

Take a talent like Alex Riley whose "crime" was taking offense to a rib and telling the "top guy" that ribs are dumb/unacceptable. Look what happened... How did the idea of the handshake start? Cos "legends" felt that younger talents should pay their respects, even if said legends were screwing them over... like the Blassie/Piper bagpipe incident in the 70's. Wrestler's Court banished Miz for 6 months cos he ate Chicken in the wrong place... yet it wasn't there when racism reared it's head with Michael Hayes or used when Orton disrespected and berated Kofi midmatch for his own botch. It was a way to give Taker and later JBL a title to make them feel important. nothing else.

Today passing the torch is as meaningless a concept as that handshake... we know the torch isn't real, we know that it can't be legitimately earned without totally upsetting the applecart like Bryan did, if you actually manage to do that...and they give it to you, then you'll get it ripped from you first chance they can and never get another fair crack. We know that it's a political construct to sate egos.

The reality is all of these are needed because Vince doesn't have talent as employees... they can refuse to job or do as told, as long as they do the match, hence why so much concern over Brock at the moment... do you really think HE'S gonna pass a torch to Reigns? Hell no, it's "pin me, pay me"... we know it and WWE now knows it. Personally part of me hopes Brock does do a number on them in some way, finally exposing Vince and forcing the changes so desperately needed. The calls Trips is making seem to be working far better, other than keeping Bill DeMott around, but that's a different thread...

The idea of passing the torch is just a euphemism for "You better get pinned or we'll beat the shit outta you". It goes back to the days of Thesz and others when there was a legit chance that a champ could skip town with a belt before dropping it and moving on to another promotion. When a promoter felt that could happen, they'd throw the offender in the ring with a guy like Thesz or Danny Hodge to make sure the match went the way they wanted.

Clean up the language with the McMahon era and it became "passing the torch". The truth is that no one passes the torch today. They fight to stay on top as long as they can.

There are truly only a handful of instances in which the clear #1 guy put over his successor (or tried to) for the good of the company, aka "passing the torch....

Starrcade 83: Yes, Flair had already had a two year run as champ before this but for the better part of 15 years the face of the NWA was Harley Race, and his winning the belt from Flair (who hadn't won from Race in the 1st place, Race lost to D. Rhodes in what was a bit of an upset and Dusty lost a short time later to Flair) once again proved that there were plenty of stars but only one alpha dog in the NWA....Harley Race. Race going into the cage, after putting bounties on Flair and even forcing him (briefly) into retirement for what was essentially a Last Man Standing Match, brutal, bloody, brawling affair, with Flair clearly winning, put Flair back on top and proved his 1st reign wasn't just a longer placeholder reign like a few others who interrupted Race in the 70s, there was a massive build, a huge storyline, and a clear cut winner. Race was nearing the end of his career and his time as a full time champion was done and this was the way to "put over" with the fans the idea that Flair was the alpha dog now.

Ultimate Warrior vs Hogan WM 6: Warrior's build to superstar status was amazing and bigger than anything Vince had ever done before. In a true rarity, even today, two "good guy" fan favorites wrestled and neither of them turned rulebreaker. UW cleanly pinning Hogan with his finisher was dramatic, and Hogan shaking his hand and "putting him over" to the audience as the new #1 was clear....Ultimate Warrior was the biggest superstar and the new face of WWE

Hogan def Flair - Great American Bash 1994: Prior to this I would say Flair putting over Sting with the near year long build up and storyline that lead into GAB 1990 was an example of "passing the torch", but like with the U-Warrior example, the "torch" didn't stay passed for long. It was clear when Flair returned in 1993 he was WCW's most popular and bankable figure, and although the company was still a clear #2 behind WWE ratings and interest were up thanks to Flair's runs vs Vader & R. Steamboat. As popular as Sting was, Flair was still "The Man" and his cleanly putting over Hogan in their much ballyhooed, heavily hyped, "SuperStar Dream Match" and allowing Hogan to have the massive spotlight and post match celebration (just as Race had done for him in 83 and he did for Sting in 1990) was a clear sign that someone else wasn't just getting a title run, they were the top star of the company.

HBK-Brett Hart - Iron Man Match: There is a school of thought that Vince & WWE were never completely sold on Brett as their full time #1 guy and wether it was Kevin Nash or Yokozuna or Lex Luger they were always searching for something better. However, when money got tight and business was down during these rather dark days in WWE the company pretty much always fell back to Brett from late 92-96. He was clearly the #1 guy, maybe because like Cena today there were so few competent enough to take it from him but regardless, the best feuds, biggest main events, and most important the World Title always landed back on Brett, even though Yoko & Nash got pretty decent runs with it. HBK was being built from early 92 on as a major star, a slower and more steady build comparable to Sting in WCW more so than the rapid shooting star nature of Ultimate Warrior's ascendance. This match, at WrestleMania, was a phenomenal showcase putting over HBK as not only the new champ but the best WRESTLER in the company, which had been a big part of Hart's buildup to the title and maintenance of his character. This was a feud revisited, on and off, since 1992, and the build up again was very good. It was defining victory.

HBK-Steve Austin - WM 1998 - There was no doubt that Austin was the hottest entity in the business by 1998 and the near year long storyline of everyone from The Hart Foundation, to DX, to Vince himself trying to thwart his rise and keep him from the title was the biggest thing going in WWE. HBK had supplanted Brett as the company's top guy and was clearly the company's best villain. When Austin finally got his moment, in the Mania Main Event, cleanly and decisively, it was sign to the audience that WWE was acknowledging that he was the most over SuperStar on the roster.

Other than that it's hard to think of any example. Rock-Hogan in 2002 is not an example, for one thing they were not the main event, neither of them at the time was the company's biggest star (Austin was), and Hogan was not wrestling full time as the company's main attraction. No one has ever given Cena that grand moment even though he has been the company's main star since about 2006-07, Rock was the #1 guy in 1999 by default when Austin was hurt and he & WWE did quite well but he was never "put over" as "that guy", the mantle was there and he grabbed it, and in fact twice he was the one who put over Austin as "that guy", in Mania main events.

There are plenty of instances in which a top guy gave a great win to someone, such as Savage to Hogan at WM 5 or Vader to Flair at Starrcade 93 but the fact is in those instances the losing party was already perceived as the lesser star, their opponent was already viewed by the audience as the "alpha dog". You could argue Cena "passed the torch" to Lesnar but WWE never intended for Lesnar to be "The Face of WWE", he was always a short term stop gap to spike PPV sales leading into his big Mania swan song.

A lot of guys get title runs and have the top storylines for awhile but never truly establish themselves as the clear cut definitive Top Guy. Nash & Yokozuna fit this bill, Randy Orton as well. They are stars, and legit main eventers, but not the clear cut #1 guy above everyone else that you would say Austin was at his peak, or Hogan for that matter. WWE always fell back to Brett Hart in the mid 90s no matter who else got a title run, just as WCW always fell back to Flair, no matter who else had the belt, for many, many years.

Sometimes "passing the torch" doesn't work. Ultimate Warrior's character and limitations hurt his ability to be the #1 guy, and it wasn't long before Hogan was brought back in to take that spot. Warrior's run was less successful than Randy Savage, who never had "the torch" passed to him by Hogan, he simply was the guy the company went to carry the load while Hogan was off for an extended period and he did quite well, like The Rock, he proved his status without ever getting "a torch" passing as it were. Sting was booked horribly after his initial title win in 1990, his failures more the fault of the backwards WCW booking (no rematches vs Flair, a meaningless feud with Sid while he was stalked by a "mythical figure" that never appeared in person, only in pre taped vignettes and voice overs) and of course they went back to Flair a few months later.

Bottom line, if you're that popular with the audience you don't need a "torch passing moment" to prove your validity as the top star. Hogan never had one, Savage never had one, Rock never had one, like Rock & Savage HHH just ascended to the top of the company as others left and did quite well, Sting was more successful in later runs and feuds than he was after his initial "torch passing", if you are that over with the audience then you'll be the #1 guy regardless, its that simple.

At the beginning of your post it sounds like the guy carrying the torch is basically the "face" of the company. He doesn't need to be the champion to still carry the torch (like your Hogan / Warrior example). Yet later on in your post, you have the torch changing with almost every title change. So I'm going to go with your "face of the company" version of the torch being passed - each guy being the centrepiece of their own era.

With that in mind, I'd argue that Bret "passing the torch" to Diesel or Shawn Michaels in the New Generation is the same as Hogan "passing the torch" to Savage or Warrior. In that, the torch wasn't actually passed, per your earlier logic. Just because guys like Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, Diesel, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker were champions - It was still the Hulk Hogan era and the Bret Hart era. They were still the guys main eventing WrestleMania and PPV's - and even if it's SummerSlam 1995 or Survivor Series 1996 Bret Hart in the middle of the card is way more over than the champion. He's just waiting until he gets his title back. Bret Hart was the face of the company and top dog until the Montreal Screwjob and Michaels 4 month run afterwards is too short to consider him having the torch. In 1998 he was a transitional champion before the torch was passed to Steve Austin.

So in WWF it would go: Sammartino > Backlund > Hogan > Hart > Austin > Triple H > Cena

The other thing I'd argue is that you can't discount the NWA or WCW timeline pre-Hogan. Hogan didn't create a new torch when he went to WCW. He took it from Ric Flair who had it for almost 15 years at this point. Maybe you give it to Sting while Flair left temporarily for WWF.

In NWA/WCW it would be something like: Thesz > Kiniski > Funk > Race > Flair > Sting > Flair > Hogan

At the beginning of your post it sounds like the guy carrying the torch is basically the "face" of the company. He doesn't need to be the champion to still carry the torch (like your Hogan / Warrior example). Yet later on in your post, you have the torch changing with almost every title change. So I'm going to go with your "face of the company" version of the torch being passed - each guy being the centrepiece of their own era.

With that in mind, I'd argue that Bret "passing the torch" to Diesel or Shawn Michaels in the New Generation is the same as Hogan "passing the torch" to Savage or Warrior. In that, the torch wasn't actually passed, per your earlier logic. Just because guys like Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, Diesel, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker were champions - It was still the Hulk Hogan era and the Bret Hart era. They were still the guys main eventing WrestleMania and PPV's - and even if it's SummerSlam 1995 or Survivor Series 1996 Bret Hart in the middle of the card is way more over than the champion. He's just waiting until he gets his title back. Bret Hart was the face of the company and top dog until the Montreal Screwjob and Michaels 4 month run afterwards is too short to consider him having the torch. In 1998 he was a transitional champion before the torch was passed to Steve Austin.

So in WWF it would go: Sammartino > Backlund > Hogan > Hart > Austin > Triple H > Cena

The other thing I'd argue is that you can't discount the NWA or WCW timeline pre-Hogan. Hogan didn't create a new torch when he went to WCW. He took it from Ric Flair who had it for almost 15 years at this point. Maybe you give it to Sting while Flair left temporarily for WWF.

In NWA/WCW it would be something like: Thesz > Kiniski > Funk > Race > Flair > Sting > Flair > Hogan

That has to do with the booking of the situation, not how I see a title change being the only way to create a new face. Hence why I created "The Champion" of the company in the last decade after the WCW merger. It's also about putting guys over which when established guys like Austin need a big moment, they tend to win a championship. A perfect example is Reigns this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back