The Heath Slater contract angle

LionheartY2J

Occasional Pre-Show
First off, it's gone on way too long. The thing with Orton giving him his "win," which everyone saw coming from a mile away should have ended it.

But more importantly, is this angle not a perfect allegory of the hierarchy of WWE? While the top guys can pretty much do what they want, guys like Heath Slater bust their ass day in and day out for a job that's anything but secure.

It's entertaining, it's comedy. Why take everything so seriously?

Also, Slater found Rhyno, so this means that Slater is getting a contract and will be ready to compete for Smackdown.

As far as the part where you said "is this angle not a perfect allegory of the hierarchy of WWE? While the top guys can pretty much do what they want, guys like Heath Slater bust their ass day in and day out for a job that's anything but secure", I say that jokes are better when there's truth in them.

It's a harsh truth, not everyone can be a world champion, not everyone can be the top dog. For me, the real objective of being a pro wrestler, wouldn't be to be the man, but to entertain the fans. Heath is great doing so.

I think it's fun and so do a good many of the fans given the reactions that Slater has been getting. Sure there's a comedic aspect to it, but it's being done in a way that isn't corny or even mean spirited, which is usually the only kinds of comedy Vince likes.

With that being said, before someone says it, I don't think this means he'll be getting some major singles push or even that he should. In my opinion, that'd probably be when the support for Slater would disappear as we've seen with Zack Ryder in the past because the entertaining aspect of it would be Slater striving for a push rather than getting one.

It's entertaining, it's comedy. Why take everything so seriously?

Also, Slater found Rhyno, so this means that Slater is getting a contract and will be ready to compete for Smackdown.

As far as the part where you said "is this angle not a perfect allegory of the hierarchy of WWE? While the top guys can pretty much do what they want, guys like Heath Slater bust their ass day in and day out for a job that's anything but secure", I say that jokes are better when there's truth in them.

It's a harsh truth, not everyone can be a world champion, not everyone can be the top dog. For me, the real objective of being a pro wrestler, wouldn't be to be the man, but to entertain the fans. Heath is great doing so.

so now all he as to do to win a contract is to win the smackdown wwe tag titles with rhyno, so at less he will get a ppv match out of this and while i would love to see american alpha being the first smackdown tag champions, i wouldn't mined seeing heath slater win the belt at backlash so that he could get his smackdown contract and drop them the following tuesday on smackdown against american alpha.

First off, it's gone on way too long.

I've gotten one haircut since this started.

The thing with Orton giving him his "win," which everyone saw coming from a mile away should have ended it.

Because there is no greater triumph and climax than being 'given' a win.

But more importantly, is this angle not a perfect allegory of the hierarchy of WWE?

It is not.

While the top guys can pretty much do what they want,

They don't do what they want, they do what they have the leverage to do. Leverage is earned, it is not a right.

guys like Heath Slater bust their ass day in and day out for a job that's anything but secure.

I'm not sure how much harder Heath Slater works than anyone else and neither do you. Not that it matters. Hard work doesn't necessary mean quality work and work should be rewarded based on it's value, not it's effort.

Heath Slater is being given another chance with another storyline. He should be thankful. It is a storyline that is making him less of a joke and more of a sympathetic character that is getting love from an audience that usually laughs at him. He is getting air time on two shows and he has barely even had to compete.

I'm excited for him and anxious to see him get his contract but I'm just as worried about what happens to him after this story is over. Careful what you wish for.

I just knew this 'Free Agent' storyline would lead to something special!

I personally love it and think it is the single most entertaining non-title storyline in all of WWE. Heath has always been comfortable (and quite good) on the mic but unfortunately he's had the label of being a jobber since leaving Nexus. This storyline isn't exactly changing that label, but rather is approaching it at a different angle, giving his character much more depth than we've ever seen and making him much more likable.

While it already sounds like this 'contract chase' has already made him quite over with the fans, it is possible that he could get even more over if WWE Creative plays their cards right. I always like to reference the crowd reaction Santino Marella got at the Elimination Chamber Match in 2012, IMO this was one of the biggest underdog situations we have ever seen in the WWE world title picture. Go back and watch that match, listen to how hot the crowd was, I'm sure Anthony Carelli reveres that moment as his most popular one in the WWE. It is absolutely possible that Slater can reach this level of underdog fandom down the line, so far they're off to a great start.

Heath Slater IS the new Santino. Has been for a long time. At least since his program with the WWE legends. It's a role that fits him perfectly and I'm sure he's perfectly happy with it. That dude has survived the Nexus the Corre 3MB and The Social outcasts. I don't think this angle requires an ending where Slater wins the titles. He's a guy who's earned a veteran mid card position. No more no less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back