• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Hardest Finisher To Sell?

Just wondering what finishing move everyone thinks is hardest to sell. As in it doesnt matter how many times you hit or how you sell it, it still looks like it would do no damage what so ever. Or no mateer how many time you do it or how you sell it, it still looks like the move would kill someone and is too much.

I would have to pick The 619! IN my opinion even though its entertaining to see it always looks like rey barely taps them and it wouldnt hurt at all! Its a double edge sword cause if you over sell it and go flying backwards people can tell that its fake and you went over the top, but if you undersell it and just fall to the floor the people can see how it looked like rey barely hit the guy. It just seems really tough to find a way to sell the move and make it look good instead of just flashy.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think?

Either the Vinny Mac Stunner, or Starship Pain. Both are not that great, and neither one of them look like it would seriously damage a guy, especially with the way they are pulled off

Right now, one in use that strangely fulfils both criteria is CM Punk's GTS.

To me it always looks as if the recipient has either just had their jaw smashed in, or that it would do no damage what so ever.

It depends on how it's sold; I’ve seen people treat it with more of a whiplash effect which looks brutal.

We also see it treated with a more bouncy pantomime effect in which the recipient will almost jump back and fall down with a few second delay (which doesn’t look so authentic).

It looks like a hard move to sell, especially when taking into account the different sizes of wrestlers in relation to Punk's small frame and the audiences growing knowledge of how people actually get knocked out in MMA competition.

as far as the 619 is concerned my issue with it is how long the guy stays on the ropes i mean a kick is a kick, and with the starship pain morrison is putting his weight on you.

Hogan's leg drop. I just seemed to me since forever that it really did nothing. i mean ur neck is underneath the arch of the back knee cavity so it just fits into place, no impact.

And the tombstone. MORE then half the time the Undertaker or Kane's opponent is so high up their heads are above the half way lines on their knews so all the guy has done is landed on his knees. I know the move is dangerous. maybe thats a bad example? a botch?

On this one, I have to go with the 619. The reasons are fairly obvious. First, Mystertio always uses the same method (huricanerana or simply tripping them) in placing them so that they hang from the ropes. Sure, this is possibly the only way to do it but still, doing that over and over just gets too predictable.

The worst part of this finisher is that the opposing wrestler has to wait for Rey to run to the opposite side of the ropes and then run toward him and do the move. This not only takes too much time, it makes the move very fake as the opposing wrestler could just let himself fall to the floor. Thus, the move cannot be executed.

What I find funny is that almost every single time Rey is about to make contact with his feet to the opposing wrestler is that the opposing wrestler usually always puts his hands over his face to reduce damage. It makes it look as if the opposing wrestler already knew what was going to happen and he doesn't want to get hurt.

In short, the 619, in my opinion, is the hardest move to sell as it is predictable and time consuming.

I agree with the GTS. Many times guys will bounce up and land in a very cartoonish way that makes it look silly and sometime you can see Punk clearly misses the other wrestler because the other wrestler is afraid to take it. example:

[YOUTUBE]LG0XmA8YTTQ[/YOUTUBE]

This was both wrestlers fault. One: Kane was to big and heavy for CM Punk to lift high enough for a good impact and he kind of just dropped him. Two: Kane looked hesitant to take the blast, looked like he tried to block it, and just fell on Punk.

Now lets look at the other side of the spectrum. A well delivered GTS that was sold believably:

[YOUTUBE]Ve3_xWa0k78[/YOUTUBE]

Granted that was KENTA and it was Puroresu so its a little stiff and it was the great Misawa selling it so well. However Punk has done it almost as effectively before and when he doesn't it's rarely his fault.

Usually the other guy cartoonishly oversells or is afraid to take it. But when it is sold well it is very effective looking finisher. But still very hard to sell believably.

im probly gonna get shit for these choices but oh, well they dont look like a 'devastating move'

obviously the 619, so no more reasons other than the other posters said need mention.

1) the peoples elbow. no way to sell it to make it look 'real', its an elbow drop w\ very over dramatic movements. unless rocky's elbow was wrapped in shattered glass, its nt gonna put someone down or hurt too much.

2) the 'stroke'. always looked more like a ******ed move. even off the second rope. just dont see it putting anyone down for more than a second.

3) the lie detector. fucking leave it to k-kwick to spin around like a ****** & have michael cole say 'what a devastating move by truth'. just not so amazing or painful. maybe wrapped in barb wire, maybe.

Starship Pain
How exactly are you supposed to sell a move that hardly ever connects? I'm all for high flying moves. Hell I love finishers like the 450 Splash and my personal favourite finisher of all time is the Vadersault. But the problem with the Starship Pain is Morrison never executes it properly and it'll probably shatter his hips before long. Let's look at how to execute a highflying move:

Airbourne (featuring Mike Adamle Commentary)
[YOUTUBE]--KhG6m-YcQ[/YOUTUBE]

Gabriel's 450 Splash
[YOUTUBE]UsIR7J71RQM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Vadersault
[YOUTUBE]DGJRkZGHPIk[/YOUTUBE]

Now let's watch John Morrison execute Starship Pain.

[YOUTUBE]fBMO4CHnHlI[/YOUTUBE]

Morrison never hits the move properly, thus leaving his opponent a really difficult job of selling the move.

u guys gotta make a distinction between botches and when a wrestler just isnt right for the move. If Kane fell on Punk that makes senseto me,hesimply wasnt strong enough, i think i buy and appreciate that realism there.

The peoples elbow is after you're already laid out so its just show but its not unbuyable, its just show boating. Jack Johnson would hit a man then have a conversation with spectators.

With the stroke being brought up that move rick steiner would do while is brother was holding the guy up seemed like the guy jumpin contributed nothing to the guys fall. I never understood how Benoit coul do a head butt off the top rope yet not knockhim self out in unison with the guy on the ring floor. The Pele kick seems soft to me too.

Well I can say this with experience and a really hard move to sell is The Stroke.

A regular Russian leg sweep is easy but when you fall forward your basic instinct is to land on your knees, thus destroying the move. I don't know why it's so hard to break this instinct but I have yet to actually fall without the knees.

The 619:This is probably the weakest finisher i have ever seen. Even if he does do the splash he is only 175 pounds. Most wrestlers probably bench press at least 2 reys.When you take the 619 you have to make sure to back away far enough so Rey can hit the splash on you. It just looks ever so cartoonish.

I would pick the 619 but it's been well covered so I'm going to go for The Walls Of Jericho.

When Jericho was a cruiserweight I bought into the move but, he's too small and it looks so unrealistic when he tries to apply it to a wrestler of main event stature. Against certain wrestlers it still looks good but, unless he's in there with someone like Evan Borne, I can't buy him being able to put it on someone, even the size of Sheamus

Skrull Crushing Finale/Stroke/ Flatliner/ Green Bay Plunge/ Mic Drop /White Russian Leg Sweep

I mean who wants to fall flat on their face? However, falling on your knees isn't believable. Are you knocked out or do you flop over to your back?

In my opinion the hardest finisher to sell is the 619. Why? Because the move is unbelievable in the first place, how are you supposed to sell a move that looks like it does no damage whatsoever without over selling it?

I would go with-truth finisher. In TNA it was his comeback move to set up other moves which makes it belivable because opponents standed after 2 seconds. He used Booker T finsher. NOW, how can this be a legit finisher??

if talking about the 2nd one in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD__rmPOOmM

U agree?

see both moves in that video that R-Truth is doing, they both are no good. The flip thing he is doing is just a brush, his ax kick i always thought was less destructive then Book's. ITS MORE BIND THEN CRUSH add that to the fact gota have a enough juice in ur battery to be standin up yet bet over which takes hella-energy just dont make sense.

The pedigree and the move Christian is using dont appear to do anything either. How does the guy's face fEel impact if Trips' kneEs come down first?!:wtf:

Yeah, the Stroke seems to be a pretty hard finisher to sell. I just can't imagine taking a full impact on your face like that. Plus it just doesn't seem very realistic that someone could easily push you into the matt like that. Drag down, maybe. The whole move is pretty tough to make look good no matter who you are.

The guy who said the pedigree? Let me ask you how you would like someones entire body weight plus gravity getting dropped on your shoulders and neck. I bet it would hurt like a motherfucker.

ok monkey mainia do u know how many times Trips does the pedigree and the wrestler seperates from him in mid air?

Ummmm...the pedigree is nothing but a guided face buster nothing more. It doesn't matter if they are between his knees or not. If the wrestler were in between his knees, what more would that do to his opponent, physically?

Anyways, the swanton bomb, GTS and Edge's spear have gotten terribly lazy as of late. But the only move I can see, that is hard to sell, would be the clothesline from hell. if JBL or skip shepfield does this on someone small like evan bourn or rey rey, it worked. But batista? John cena.? No way that would keep them down. Add the word hell to clothesline doesn't make it more impactful. The stroke, 619, and khalis chop are the only others that are even a little close to the clothesline from hell...

ok monkey mainia do u know how many times Trips does the pedigree and the wrestler seperates from him in mid air?

Ok, well still, how the fuck would you like all your weight to come crashing down onto you? It would hurt like a motherfucker. Plus this is wrestling. A little suspension of disbelief is necessary. I could turn around and ask why the RKO knocks people out, when they simply land on Randy Ortons arm, but I don't. Because the move looks fucking awesome. Same as the pedigree.

Scorpion Death Drop.

I really think this is a hard move to sell, yes it comes unexpected but there isn't a real impact, because of the lack of weight coming down on said opponent.

The odds of the set up being that choreographed whilst still making it a believable finish might fool the youngsters but those old enough to start to second guess will see it less convincing. Plus Rey is all of 170 pounds, are we really going to buy Kane, The Undertaker, JBL, Big Show, etc all succumbing to the 619.

The 619 is just really un-believable. The way a wrestler falls onto the ropes and then stays there while Rey runs around the ring is stupid. I am all for suspending dis-belief while watching wrestling, but surely the guy on the ropes would just move slightly to the side while Mysterio was running to avoid contact, and then how they get up and stagger into EXACTLY the right position for him to bounce off the ropes....sorry I am not having that one!

Also, Booker T's axe kick was awesome when delivered to an opponent who was bent over, but not when he kicked them in the gut and then had to bounce off the ropes to do it, no way would the guy taking the move just stand bent over in a match against an opponent whos finisher required him to be EXACTLY IN THAT POSITION...Booker just did not need to run the ropes to do the move, it just made the wrestler taking the move look stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back