The Greatest Metal Band Ever

Viola Moonlight

I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW
I am a huge fan of the metal department & love to get my headbanging :banghead: [thankyou to the man whom invented emoticons] on to the tunes of electric guitars & kick-ass beats. Since I follow the metal scene like it was my religion, I have compiled a list of the bands that can be even considered to thought of as the greatest ever. All I ask is that you decide whom is the greatest... with reasons if you post of course. So, here are some of the choices:

Black Sabbath: The band that pioneered the entire generation of metal. Without Ozzy & his crew of great musicians, the thing that is known as metal would not have been known to the modern world.

Metallica: These guys are considered to be the men to bring thrash metal & help assist speed metal through the rankings. They are also one of the first metal bands to gain mainstream exposure & giving awareness to majority of the music fans of the metal genre, as well as being one of the first American metal bands to take a following to generate even more interest.

Judas Priest: One of the early metal bands to rise to success, whom seem to be given the credit for the influence of the pioneers of the death metal sub-section for its lyrical suggestions.

Iron Maiden: Home to one of the greatest bass players of all time Steve Harris whom not only created a prodigy of the metal world that is still influencing many bands to this day alongside many upon many tribute albums, but was the pioneering band of power metal & the other "happy" metal genres.

Megadeth: Despite his fans "claiming" Mustaine as the worlds greatest guitarist, he is one of the greatest musically-gifted writers of the metal scene & helped create a generation of rebellion against the government. Also considered to be apart of the "Big Four" of Thrash Metal.

Pantera: "Dimebag" Darrell, arguably the best metal guitarist to ever grace the scene & influenced many others, & the crew single-handedly kept the metal scene alive during the 90's, a feat. impressive in itself.

Motorhead: Do I have to explain anything here? It's Lemmy... he plays Triple H theme music & is in his 60's still going. The creator of the speed metal genre & one of the early English metal bands that still has a huge following. Many covers of these guys have been made, especially the infamous "Ace Of Spades" that still remains a classic.

Motley Crue: These guys pioneered & completely owned the glam metal era of the 80's, bringing metal mainstream with a likable look to the pop audience yet still maintaining metal intrigity. They weren't those horrible bands that couldn't play for crap... these guys were talented & actually did something.

Led Zeppelin: One of the greatest artists of all time that had a huge influence on the metal world. They may have not done anything metal, but the awesomeness that is Jimmy Page & Robert Plant alongside the epic songs just seemed to do the trick.

Venom: The English extreme metal band that is one of the causes of & pioneered the generation of black metal & the like. Basically what Judas Priest contributed, except they followed through with the genre classification.

I could go on forever about whom are the greatest bands & what they did, but the fact is that this thread is dedicated to the best of the best & whom deserves the title of being the greatest metal band ever.

For my vote, it is going to Iron Maiden. Steve Harris on bass is possibly one of the greatest additions to any band & he brings his own presence with the band. His songwriting skills are nothing short of phenomenal & he alone has kept the band alive for all this time. He, alongside the talented musicians such as vocalist Bruce Dickenson have created songs of great passioned story accompanied by guitars to musically express the situation at hand. This is one of the only Power Metal bands that you will not find a keyboard player to compensate for the lack of guitar skills to tell the story. These guys have one of the biggest influences on the metal world & has received much praise from critics/fans/fellow bands enough that many upon many have covered their songs & introduced tribute albums towards them.

Any thoughts?

Well I'll say Metallica, because they're my favorite metal band and they were probably the most important. Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning were cult hits that introduced a new style of metal, Master of Puppets made metal more accesible just by how good it was, without comprimising anything, ...And Justice For All was huge, epic and visionary, and the Black Album broke metal over to the mainstream. However, talk to me in 5 years and I may be saying Mastodon. These guys, whether they want to admit it or not, are the best thing to happen to metal in years.

I couldn't go past Metallica in this. They are renowned as the best and probably are.

When I saw metal in the title of this thread I was thinking more Killswitch, Parkway Drive and Prom Queen so I'm not too familiar with the ones you posted but I think Metallica is a pretty good choice.

Oh come on, Metallica? If anything Metallica is one of the most overrated metal bands ever. They've released how many albums? Only 3 of them are considered godly by hardcore fans of their own genre... that sounds like an underachievement to me. Out of the list I'd have to choose either Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath, the early pioneers of the genre.

Bands like Megadeth, Maiden, and Priest are all worthy of silver medals, it was because of the efforts of bands like these that metal survived another generation. Venom deserves praise as well for providing the inspiration for epic bands like Bathory and Celtic Frost, and for pushing the envelope of evil like no other band had done before them.

When it comes down to it for me. Black Sabbath is the band that started it all. I can't think of one that had such a dramatic influence on music as they did, especially when they first it the scene. To me they will be the greatest metal band of all time. They have in my opinion the anthem of Metal, Iron man. As soon as that song comes on, you know it's time to do that slow head bang. There is nothing better to me than some Ozzy.

Metal? I wake up to Metal and sleep to Metal.

This is hard to pick. So I'm gonna list my all time favourite Bands. I listen to a wide range of Metal, from Heavy Metal to Death Metal.

Im providing a link to some that you MAY not know:
Megadeth
Children of Bodom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR_GDB67eKg
Tool
Manowar
Dream Theater
Iced Earth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4CDLmDx_Y&feature=fvw

For me it'd have to narrow down to Megadeth and Tool

Please checkout this Tool instrumental vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR6cWXSfR1I

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back