• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Future of Jim Ross

What lays ahead in Jim Ross' future?

• He'll Re-Sign with the WWE

• He'll Sign with TNA

• He'll Retire

Results are only viewable after voting.

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
PWInsider said:
PWInsider.com is reporting that a "huge WWE name" is considering joining TNA. The person in question is Jim Ross.

His contract with World Wrestling Entertainment
is set to expire at the end of the year and company officials have yet to offer him a new one.

It should be noted however that Ross is considering all of his options and joining TNA is very much a possible scenario he's taking very seriously. He could just as well stay in WWE though.

His contract is up around late October. I read Ross' blogs whenever he posts a new one and with about every blog I get the impression that he won't be signing a new contract with the WWE. He says he despises the weekly travel "at this stage of the game" as he calls it, wants to focus more time on expanding his BBQ business, wants to spend more time with his family, and doesn't want to have to face the exhausting grind of flying all over the globe. All he seems to care about these days is Sooners football and his BBQ business.

Most recently he said he wouldn't answer questions about his contract status but said that all he would say about it is that "interesting days lie ahead".

I've been hearing rumblings like this for quite a while now, but now that serious rumors are going around of Ross actively being interested in signing with TNA, this is really going to become a big issue.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Ross were to sign with TNA. In fact, I think he will. Everyone who goes from the WWE to TNA always raves about how much more of a relaxed environment TNA is compared to the WWE, and with Ross only having to fly to Florida a few times a month for Impact tapings and PPVs and not having to fly all over the globe each and every week, I see it as only a matter of time before Ross is sitting in the booth, calling Impact every week (which would be a HUGE deal for TNA and would definitely draw more viewers away from the WWE).

So, what do you guys think? Will Ross re-sign with the WWE, will he go to TNA, or will he retire?

Personally, I think he'll step down and retire. While the rumour of him signing with TNA sounds big for sure and it would be a great coup for the company, I just think his time to step down is near.

As you said, he's focused more on football and his BBQ business, he's served WWE for so many years as a loyal employee, despite being ridiculed by Vince on so many occasions. I think he's choosing this at the right time, especially with Lawler running in the Mayor Elections, if he sucedes, then it's a good time for JR to pass the torch.

But the question is, if he did sign, will they have him replace Mike Tenay and team with Taz? Or will he work as a 3 group? Or will they have him and Taz on one show and bring back West and move Tenay on the possible second show?

I think in short, it will be a sad day for wrestling when he retires, I just think now is a good time for him to step down, I mean how else are the current crop going to expand? It means Vince gets what he ones and removes the main profiles of commentary but builds up new guys. I just don't see TNA Impact being run with JR calling the matches, it just feels weird.

But seriously, I think he'll retire

I don't see Jim Ross EVER leaving WWE for TNA. If he goes to TNA who's he going to replace? Mike Tenay is an excellent announcer and I don't see TNA replacing him since he represents the company VERY well. I don't see Jim Ross and Mike Tenay doing PBP together either. I can see Jim Ross staying with the WWE till he decides to retire or WWE has no use for him anymore.

Although it seems wierd that Jim Ross is considering going to TNA, since he's been with the the WWE for so long, maybe instead of announcing for iMPACT perhaps he'll be doing behind-the-scenes work possibly. I remember he was in charge of bringing in new talent for the WWE at one point.

I think it would be fantastic if JR goes to TNA but if he was on-air talent i wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal personally. He's not a wrestler or a huge draw, now if it was someone like John Cena going to TNA that would be HUGE.

I think JR will probably resign. Maybe he works just a few shows, like the main PPVs (Mania, Rumble, Survivor Series, Summerslam). I just can't see JR going to TNA though. I just think he would resign in the WWE or call it quits. Though JR going to TNA would be a good move for them, as I can't stand Tenay and JR is the best at what he does. We shall see though.

You are all forgetting that Jim Ross and Vince McMahon have a VERY shaky relationship. A lot of the heat that you see on camera between the two is very real, as J.R. blames Vince for some mistreatment over the years.

Furthermore, I think J.R. loves the wrestling business...he just could use a change of scenery. He's already a WWE Hall of Famer...he has nothing left to prove in WWE.

I'd be far more surprised if he retired than if he was to sign with TNA.

I think he'll move on from the WWE and probably retire from the wrestling business. I think he's interested in doing something involved with the Oklahoma Sooners. He seems to have a deep interest and love of the team and that's where I think he's heading towards.

I really hope Good Ole J.R. doesn't go anywhere. I really enjoy his commentary even though he messes up a little bit more now. He makes things interesting for me. I will never forget when Stone Cold won the title and all you could hear was, "Stone Cold, Stone Cold, Stone Cold!" I think that he will stay.

If he doesn't stay, however, I see him retiring. I don't think that he would go to TNA. I've read some things that he has said about TNA and I don't think that he would be one to go from a WWE Hall of Famer to a TNA announcer. It just doesn't make sense.

I think he would retire before going to TNA. Why would he take that big of a step back at this point in his career? He would make more and still keep his light schedule in the WWE.

Why TNA would even want to do this is beyond me. JR is at the end of his career. He doesn't want anymore responsibility. Instead of worrying about announcers they need to be worrying about the crap they are putting on inside the ring.

If JR went to TNA, I wouldn't blame him. Its already been made clear he would like more time to do other things, and less travel. But my understanding is that's why he went to smackdown. He doesn't have to travel as much. But him in tna would be great. I respect Tenay, but I feel JR would elevate Tenay to a new level. Assuming Taz doesn't.

I am going to bet that Jim Ross will not go anywhere other than the WWE. He is a loyal employee of the business & has been through a crapload of ordeals through his WWE tenture, still remaining with the company. JR isn't getting any younger & the weekly travelling starts to affect you a lot more at an older age. My gut feelings say that he will follow in Jeff Hardy's footsteps to take time off & focus on his other interests. If he feels the drive or if WWE needs him, then he will be back.

As for possibly joining TNA, it is a fair option. It's less to travel around but he will still need to do frequent trips a month to call a two hour broadcast & fly straight back. Not a convience just to fly somewhere for two hours & go back really.

TNA would seem like a less hectic environment for Jim Ross. He has stated that he is never going to retire from work altogether, that he would probably still be working long after WWE lets him go. I think WWE is moving to a new generation, with new younger commentators. The chances of Jim Ross going to TNA are slim, but so are the chances of WWE keeping JR around much longer.

I would love to see him with Mike Tenay and Taz. If TNA has a second show, maybe JR and Don West could be the commentators, that would be a crazy duo. I would like to see him in TNA, but I think he could be done with the wrestling business altogether if or when he retires.

I see JR staying, at least for 1 more year. He seems like he'd be more comfortable leaving with a replacement firmly in place. Maybe I'm nutz, but he just strikes me as that type of guy.
TNA just doesn't, and shouldn't spend thier money on JR. That's not a knock against the guy. No one, and I mean NO ONE will start watching TNA just because JR is talkin. Maybe the first show or two...then that's it. No increase in business with a nice new expense that aint cheap.

I see people using the whole, "JR is loyal to his company" moniker quite a bit. Remember the 'shoot' interview he did when he was heel JR? You know, the one with Fake Razor and Fake Diesel? Well, one quote stuck out in that whole interview...

"Talk about loyalty. I'm only loyal to one person, and that's GOOD OL' JR!"

Jim Ross took a lot of the crap from Vince because his paychecks were worth it and his highest priority is doing what he loves, call wrestling. Now, he has football season and a BBQ restaurant. If he wanted to scratch his itch to call wrestling, TNA is ideal for him. Working a few shots a month and having lots of down time would be JR's dream come true. He has no beef with anyone in TNA, so working there would be his only alternative. Or retirement. I see him not retiring anytime soon.

I think he would retire before going to TNA. Why would he take that big of a step back at this point in his career? He would make more and still keep his light schedule in the WWE.

Light schedule? What light schedule? JR has to fly all around the damn globe every week, he has a grueling schedule and literally EVERY single blog he posts says the same thing each and every week about how he hates the travel in the WWE, and how he's so sick and tired of it.

Why wouldn't JR want to make good money for less than half of the amount of work he does in the WWE, and not have to travel around the globe anymore? TNA would afford him those things. It's not like JR is a millionaire and won't need money.

I don't know what Jr will do. We know that he doesn't like traveling. He's stated that clearly in his blogs. I also don't know if he would go TNA. When you really think about it, it surprises me that he's stayed with WWE as long as he has. He has clearly has had issues with Vince. He's been fired from one job, only to be rehired at another position. So I don't know why he would resign with WWE, but then again. He's kept coming back. With all of his issues he's stayed with the company. So I have no clue what he is going to do.

Jim Ross does TVs once a week, and PPVs once a month, so I think he will stay. Its not like he goes to all the house shows and public appearances. He's not involved in the talent relations department so all he basically does is commentate. With a lot of people leaving lately I don't think the WWE office would want him to leave just because he brings nostalgia, he's the voice of the WWF/E, and it would piss of a lot of viewers. I remember when he went to Smackdown! A lot of people stopped watching RAW just cus JR left. I hope he stays because Smackdown! is my favorite show now and I can't picture him not being there.

I'm reminded of a feeling I had in late 1997, when I was 12 years old. When I first was starting to become aware of how the business really worked via the internet. My first experience with that was that of the Montreal Screw Job.. I can vividly remember reading forums and threads of guys saying "Bret's going to WCW!" And I just remember thinking to myself, "wow these guys are idiots.. Bret Hart is WWE through in through, he'd never leave." And then one day, he was gone.

I hope that day doesn't come with Good Ol' JR. It just seems odd to me [not impossible], the thought of J.R. working with TNA. He's invested so much of his career with the WWE. I can only hope that, if nothing else, he'll retire. But I can't imagine a WWE without him. Then again, I couldn't imagine RAW without him, and now we've seen where that's gone.

On the other hand, if he were to sign with TNA... Maybe enough WWE fans would turn the channel, and then maybe, just maybe, the WWE would have some competition.

I honestly think he's going to go to Dragon Gate USA in a talent scout role.

Fairly new promotion who would probably want someone to be on the look out for talent. And will have a lighter schedule indeed.

He mentioned in a blog recently that him and King would be attending one of their shows in a rare appearance.

I believe JR would want to help out a promotion which is all about high quality athletic wrestling and working with Gabe would be epic.

Ross isn't going anywhere. He's WWE For Life. He's shown in the past that he is too loyal to the WWE to consider joining TNA. I'm not even giving it a second's thought.

If Jim Ross were to sign with TNA, it would change the landscape of that company I believe. Although it may not be part of the actual deal, his influence draws. His commentating and talent relations helped get WWE through the entire fight with WCW. Ross is indeed a very important figure in the world of pro wrestling. So for TNA to get him on their roster would be huge for them.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if any of these scenarios were to play out. He's expressed (veiled mostly) interest in doing all these. We'll just have to wait and see.

Uhm, first and foremost isn't Jim Ross actually the head of something behind the scenes? Not just a simple "announcer" like many see him as? So, to say he'd step down and then follow suit to TNA would kinda be career suicide in a ways. I doubt Mr. McMahon would ever take him back, if he were to do that. It'd be kinda similar to what happened with Jeff Jarrett and Lex Luger, over the ways they went to WCW.

Ross is getting to the point to where he's being downplayed and slowly moved out, anyways. To lose him will without question be a tremendous blow, but it won't exactly kill the Company. Hes just a voice, and they've lost better announcers throughout time before, so its going to come regardless sooner or later, anyways.

I still firmly think he'll resign, as we go through this at least it seems once a year. Where there is question over Ross leaving the Company to go call College Football games, or move on from the WWE to pursue other interests.. yet he always finds his way back to an announcer's table, calling the action we see on television weekly.

In honest, I'd love to see him show up in TNA.. but as I said to begin with, it'd be career suicide for him to burn that bridge with the WWE, as I'm sure Ross knows how much McMahon would hate for him to do that and how much it could hurt, even with Ross just being more or less "a voice."

While I personally do not see JR going to TNA, I can see why he would. He has been told to be less of a character, less of a presence and is no longer Vince's right hand man thanks to Steph. So the only thing that would keep him from going to TNA is loyalty to Vince... which is not what it used to be. I doubt JR is any more loyal to Vince than Foley was and Foley is now in TNA. So I can easily see JR going to TNA if he wanted to sign with another company.

However I feel JR will likely re-sign with the WWE. While he may not be as loyal to Vince as some think, I do not see him leaving. If anything I believe he would retire and focus on his resturant and other ventures outside of wrestling, rather than sign with anyone else. Again though I do not see any reason why he wouldn't sign with TNA, but I just don't think he will.

Another thing I just thought of, and not sure if anyone mentioned, sorry if you did.. Leaving the WWE would mean a serious blow to his restaurant and BBQ business. Granted he doesn't really advertise on WWE programming as it is, but he could if he wanted to I'm sure. TNA just doesn't have the audience that WWE has.

Another thing I just thought of, and not sure if anyone mentioned, sorry if you did.. Leaving the WWE would mean a serious blow to his restaurant and BBQ business. Granted he doesn't really advertise on WWE programming as it is, but he could if he wanted to I'm sure. TNA just doesn't have the audience that WWE has.

Actually WWE refused to advertise JR's BBQ business on air, which has been a thorn in JR's side. TNA on the other hand I'm sure would probably allow JR to co-promote his BBQ business with TNA on-air. The thing I think alot of people are missing here is the possibility of JR going to TNA not only as a commentator, but as someone having a role in the company backstage. That could be a serious addition by TNA and one that could really spark the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back