• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Future of Gaming

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
I created a similiar thread in the M+T section and thought it would be interesting to try in here. Basically the concept is what do you wish/think the future of gaming will hold? I know that a lot has been currently done already but I think the gaming industry has more areas to add new facets then the Television. Or you could add improvements to things already done.

So here are my future improvements/evolutions to the gaming industry.

Futuristic Gaming
A way to get you actually into the game. I would love a gaming system where you put on a headset and you actually are the character in the game. I don't know how ligcally this would work and it would take real advanced technology but how cool would it be if somehow the game tapped into your brain and you were the character. I think one way to get this to work would be to have the game end at the end of a timer so this would be the way people don't get over indulged into the game. I think this would be very interesting and it would add to gaming experience.

More Realistic
I think that if there is one thing I would like to see add to the gaming experience would be to have a 3D game, however it would be in a gaming system much like the Wii. So not only would you have people acting like the character that they are but they would also deal with some fake virtual 3D pop-outs. I could say that this clearly would have a huge markety and would be a good for the gaming industry.

That first idea of yours sounds absolutely terrible. You're pretty much asking for virtual reality which is pretty much impossible. It's cartoon shit. There has been one attempt at it which failed MISERABLY. Like, worst "gaming" console of all time. Really not plausible if you really think about it.

Why can't we just keep everything the same? Virtual reality would take away from the gaming experience and make it more real life than a video game. Why can't we just continue to add onto what we already have, and make everything just better in different terms? Get better graphics, add onto the Wii, Move, and Kinect. I don't know about you, but I am not open to change. I love my consoles with a controller. It's what makes video games just that.

That first idea of yours sounds absolutely terrible. You're pretty much asking for virtual reality which is pretty much impossible. It's cartoon shit. There has been one attempt at it which failed MISERABLY. Like, worst "gaming" console of all time. Really not plausible if you really think about it.
Why can't we just keep everything the same? Virtual reality would take away from the gaming experience and make it more real life than a video game. Why can't we just continue to add onto what we already have, and make everything just better in different terms? Get better graphics, add onto the Wii, Move, and Kinect. I don't know about you, but I am not open to change. I love my consoles with a controller. It's what makes video games just that.

I don't know it seemed to appeal to me because of the complexity of it however in the future it could be something plausible. That is why I used the term futuristic in it, in that I don't think that it is necssarily all that possible but it is something that I would buy. I think that it is incredibly interesting.

As for the 3D gaming experience in something like the Wii, I actually have been wanting this for a while now. I think this would add so much to gaming because not only would you be thinking of the game but also the things popping out at you. Once again it is something that I will buy when it does actually happen.

As for gaming with a controller I completely agree that it is good, howver the truth is there will always be the need to get bigger and more interesting facets to the gaming industry.

Of course 3D gaming will happen, you never heard of the 3DS?

3D isn't something new in games, it started in 1982 with the Sega arcade game SubRoc-3D. If you continue on and it's been the past two years or so that you've had proper 3D games such as Motorstorm 3D and apparently even the Ico/Shadow of the Collosus combo will be in 3D.

It'll be there in the future, that being said there is nowhere near enough people with a 3D TV to make any kind of impact on the home console market hence why the 3DS has it pretty wrapped up.

Virtual simulation game? This isn't a Yu-Gi-Oh filler arc. That just sounds ridiculous to me. The idea of playing videogames for me is to get away from life. Jumping into one as myself isn't exactly what I want. If I wanted to make some realistic movements, I could just pick up a Wii or a PS Move. Or wait the Kinect to make a more legit game.

My idea would revolve more around backtracking. Games nowadays are oversaturated with realism. Notice how every time Nintendo launches out a game nowadays, it's a huge hit because it's a throwback to older style games? SMB Wii, DK Country, Sonic Colors, etc. The nostalgia factor is starting to sneak in now. And I'm liking it. So I think the gaming world should take into that and be more simplistic instead of trying to evolve into something too real.

Here's my view on the future of gaming.

Consoles will continue to evolve to be more multimedia and cyber-social centric. If you look at the console war between the 360 and PS3, whats some of the biggest arguments that get thrown around? "Oh well my PS3 can play blu-ray movies, and blu-ray is 100x better than HD-DvD". "My 360 is better because I can party chat, video chat ect... the chatting options are WWWAAYYY better while Im playing my games". I have a feeling the gaming aspect of a gaming console is going to start taking a backseat toward making the consoles more PC like.

The games themselves will continue to be less story based and more online focused. Shooters will continue their trend to be nothing more than just pallet swaps of each other (despite the community claiming whichever game theyre playing is obvious superior to a different game). RPG's will continue to be more MMO focused, yes even JRPGs.

Final releases of games will start to contain less and less actual content, so the rest of it can be downloaded at an additional cost. Micro-transactions will start to go from being optional, to being mandatory. Even for the long forgotten "singleplayer" portion of the game.

As companies become more greedy, theyre going to decide that simply charging for online play wont be enough. There will be different stages of online access, requiring more and more money for each higher stage of access. This will inevitably fracture the gaming community even further than it already is, causing more and more elitists to have their voices heard and potentially have more say over what to expect from gaming itself.

Soon comments like "A XBL gold account is only 60 bucks a year, that's only5 bucks amonth (which is BS because they dont let you pay in monthly intervals, but I digress), its not expensive at all.

Will be come "A XBL Diamond account is only 300 bucks a year, that's only 25 bucks a month, its not expensive at all.

Yeah I may have a cynical outlook towards gaming but thats because Ive found nothing that has shown me anything different.

One thing I look forward to is better graphics. I am a sucker for games with awesome graphics and at times become speechless on cutscenes and such. I agree with the notion that graphics don't make games good and I would take a terrible looking game with great gameplay over a great looking game with terrible gameplay anyday, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it helps make games better. Good graphics keep me interested in games from the simple fact that I can't wait to see another part of the landscape. Games like Fallout 3 which I am playing now are gorgeous. I guess that is what I look for in the future of gaming mostly.

I think that the future of games will see things branching out a bit. You have the hardcore crowd that want realistic games with the best graphics. Then you have the nostalgic gamers who long for the days of the NES or SNES. Video game companies will need to be able to please both sides of this issue. I predict that we will continue to see games becoming more realistic for the most part with a focus on graphical updates, but also having a few titles here and there to please the oldschool crowd. Series such as Mario and Zelda will live on forever in terms of sequels, and things can only keep on improving due to the hard work by those involved in the industry working to meet the demand of the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back