The Face of TNA

mike1215

Dark Match Winner
If there is anything consensus in the "wrestling community" about TNA's resurrection back to TV, it is that they will receive the same mediocre results if they try to maintain the same identity as before.

I've heard that they need to change the name of the company (great idea), shake up the announce team (another great idea), do away with blading, do away with PPVs, keep the 6-sided ring, etc. You can debate all of these topics and never unanimously reach a decision, but the one thing that is certain: TNA can no longer intertwine its brand with any generality that target viewers have associated with this 11 year old wrestling promotion.

So with that said, I think it's important for the decision makers to be much more selective with who is holding their titles.

Whatever equity was once built into the TNA World title is now gone. It's changed hands too many times (sometimes due to regret, which can be a good and a bad reason), it's changed hands uneventfully, it's been carried by guys who are only going to create pop out of a niche group of marks, and it's been carried by guys who strangely resemble the character of WWE's reigning champions: Austin Aries/CM Punk, Eric Young/Daniel Bryan, Bobby Lashley/Brock Lesnar.

When Bruno Sammartino held the WWWF title for 8 years, it worked because he was an attraction that promoters could tour with across the country and draw massive interest from audiences. He had characteristics that made him fascinating. When CM Punk held the WWE title for 434 days, he had characteristics that a mass number, not aggregates, of viewers actually cared about.

There are very few wrestlers on the TNA roster who have characteristics that massive amounts of viewers are going to actually care about. Kurt Angle comes to mind, Jeff Hardy comes to mind, and one other person comes to mind as well--someone who I feel TNA missed the boat with about 2 years ago. He has the look, he sure as hell has the mic skills, there are very catchy motifs about his character, I think he understands the business well, and he has a presence in a circle that I think greatly eclipses the wrestling community circle.

I always thought that the reason why Stone Cold Steve Austin was so over with the audience in the late 90's was because he epitomized "attitude" and ego. Back in the 90's, American culture was all about attitude and ego, steroids were running as rampant as ever, baseball was all about the home run chase, movies and TV shows were edgy and agitated the FCC, jeans were ripped, hair was dyed, sex was selling everything in sight. Rock and roll music reached its peak and the distorted strums of the bass guitar in the Texas Rattlesnake's theme song made every fan want to jump up and scream in excitement.

Fast-forward two decades. Many have referred this this era as "the wussification of American society". The internet has taken over the World, everyone and everything is sensitive now, you're "a racist or a bigot" if you're not socially conscious, bullies are not allowed, cheap beer sucks! craft brews ONLY! dude, check out how cool my beard is, hockey and soccer rule! everyone is accepted to college, I used to hate authority, but now I don't as long as they give me handouts because of I deserve it. Out with the old in with the new. Rock and roll is dead, technology is amazing and alive. Marry the divas, don't just screw them backstage. Again, CM Punk has all the characteristics that draw a great portion of today's audience. Daniel Bryan, too, and he's the future face of the WWE.

If there is one thing our most recent political elections have told us is that the country is more divided than ever before. Sure the technology driven/social sensitivity era has is in undoubted full effect. But there are whole other societies in America who still practice the traditions of the modern U.S., who preserve the qualities that grew our country into the greatest in the World, who bleed red white and blue, who have pride for the towns they come from, who love pick-up trucks, shooting guns, drinking Budweiser, listening to country music and most importantly, watching a good old fashioned pro wrestling match. These people are your opportunity.
But if you're going to come to their state and try to put on a pro wrestling event, they're going to pay to see the face of your promotion, not a tag-team partner or a mid-carder feuding with his once best friend.

The WWE and Daniel Bryan are going to own the future of wrestling by giving their audience who they want to see. Again, TNA's opportunity is in winning over the heartland of America's audience. They have their man. He's good friends with some of the major country music artists, he's from smalltown, Tennessee, and he goes by the name of "Cowboy" James Storm. Message to TNA: Storm can be your identity. If you don't put all of your chips on him now, your show will be cancelled within the next two years. Six-sided rings, the X-Division, and putting your show on a new channel are not making you different from WWE, and not distinguishing you from your past. And neither is your new logo. At the end of the day, the reflection you are casting screams "minor leagues". And yes, some people love baseball so much that they will pay $10 to watch a AA team play a baseball game. But you have a major league vision, and this is your opportunity to make your vision come to life.

First off, you can fuck right off, because hockey does rule.

As to your demand, I'm still not seeing the actual picture behind how Storm accomplishes this feat. You did a fine job at crafting your run-of-the-mill country song lyrics sheet vision, but I'm not seeing how any of this matters. Where is the correlation between shooting guns, drinking Budweiser, listening to country music, etc. and wrestling outside specific markets where the two overlap (Atlanta, Texas, etc)?

Not that I have any issue with the idea of giving Storm the ball, but considering the incredible success the company has found filming out of Manhattan — the most bleeding heart, so left they're left handed, liberal city on the planet — I'm just not seeing the need to put so much of the focus on the product on such a specific audience.

Though I will say this much to that effect... the good thing about good ol' country is they like things simple. Heels and faces. No need for tweeners. No need for nonsense. No frills. Just good ol' fashioned good guys versus bad guys. You can see it coming a mile away, but it doesn't make the impact any less impactful, all pun intended.

it's been carried by guys who strangely resemble the character of WWE's reigning champions: Austin Aries/CM Punk, Eric Young/Daniel Bryan, Bobby Lashley/Brock Lesnar.

While this a cute and interesting observation, it has one major flaw:

Lashley won the TNA title in June- two months BEFORE Brock won the WWE title from Cena.

Maybe WWE's champion strangely resembled TNA's in this case. :icon_wink:

As for the "face" of the company, TNA has no need for a Bruno/Hogan/Cena style dominating figure controlling their main event scene, and they'd be stupid to go that direction. Instead they just need to make sure they keep the champion strong and having good purposeful world title reigns with no "hot-shotting"(ones like Roode's first reign or Lashley's recent one).

As for the current face of the company, there is no reason why Roode can't continue to hold the belt and do a fine job in that role. He is believable and over as a face, just as he was as a heel, and he's already had the best reign in the company's history in the heel role, there's no reason why this face run can't play out and eventually top his first one.

It's been what, three, four weeks since the last "who should the face of TNA be" thread?

This month, it's James Storm. Next month, we'll see who TNA puts in the main event matches, and there's your guy for the next time this thread comes up.

Before TNA can even entertain the idea answering the originally posed question, they have to develop an identity themselves. Everything about TNA has been a WWE rip-off with the exception of the X-Division. Even in its press release, TNA claims the mantle of the second-largest company in the world. This was probably done to hope they'd be seen in the same light as WWE. Truthfully, it simply illustrates that not only do they have a long way before catching up to WWE, but they aren't even close. I think the question posed should be WHAT is the face of TNA Wrestling.

Angle signed but I thought he has all kinds of injuries? I just think it makes it that much harder to be on a competitive level without any name stars. TNA has "Their" stars as does ROH and NJPW or AAA but to move up you need names that might connect with a WWE leaning fan. You want to keep your diehards but you need to pull in new fans to grow and right now I just don't see them putting out a different product than what they were. I want them to be successful but being WWE lite isn't the way.

First off, you can fuck right off, because hockey does rule.

As to your demand, I'm still not seeing the actual picture behind how Storm accomplishes this feat. You did a fine job at crafting your run-of-the-mill country song lyrics sheet vision, but I'm not seeing how any of this matters. Where is the correlation between shooting guns, drinking Budweiser, listening to country music, etc. and wrestling outside specific markets where the two overlap (Atlanta, Texas, etc)?

Not that I have any issue with the idea of giving Storm the ball, but considering the incredible success the company has found filming out of Manhattan — the most bleeding heart, so left they're left handed, liberal city on the planet — I'm just not seeing the need to put so much of the focus on the product on such a specific audience.

Though I will say this much to that effect... the good thing about good ol' country is they like things simple. Heels and faces. No need for tweeners. No need for nonsense. No frills. Just good ol' fashioned good guys versus bad guys. You can see it coming a mile away, but it doesn't make the impact any less impactful, all pun intended.

Haha...hockey's fine...maybe I'm just bitter because we don't have a team in my city

A lot of my theory is based off of observation. I find myself going to indy events and house shows in random towns when I travel. Also, living in Maryland, arguably the 2nd most liberal state in the union, it’s interesting to see just how grass-roots and conservative this state is outside and in between Baltimore and DC. For example, when an MCW event goes on in a rural unpopulated county in Maryland, 2,000 die-hards will find a way to show up. ROH does TV tapings at DuBurns Arena in Baltimore almost monthly and the same suburban crowd shows up every time.

Just like in Manhattan, chances are the greater portion of that audience commuted in from parts of Jersey, Long Island and Westchester County. TNA can continue on with its existing marketing strategy, but I don’t know that it’s ever going to drive the throttle beyond 1-1.5 million viewers. I think that rolling out a national campaign that would appeal to this very wide-spread market using a figurehead who those folks can support and would pay to see, is the way to go.

The Current Face of TNA like since the Beginning has been Bobby/Robert Roode as he started out in a Stable then went solo then to TNA's greatest Tag Team Beer Money. After this he had the longest TNA World Title Run in History and the Fans have been behind him since Day 1. SO THE FACE OF TNA IS "THE IT FACTOR" BOBBY ROODE like it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back