The Excellence Of Execution Series: Belly-To-Belly Suplexes

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
This is the first in a series of threads dedicated to discussing which wrestler best executes a specific maneuver. While a lot of us like to discuss who pioneered what move, I think it is important to remember that those who refine the moves of others often end up performing them in a much more impressive manner. For example, although Jushin Liger invented the Shooting Star Press, both Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne and Takuya Sugi/Yoshitsune execute the maneuver in a much more awe-inspiring fashion.

Note: Before I discuss the move of this thread, I just want to make it known that I am aware that I am using one of Bret Hart's sobriquets. However, I couldn't think of a more suitable name for this series.

So, of all the wrestlers you have seen, which one best executed the belly-to-belly suplex (or any of its variants)? I would argue that no one better executes this maneuver than Kurt Angle. Most people that use the belly-to-belly suplex pivot back on one foot so that they can pick up their opponent and suplex them to the side. However, Angle is one of the only wrestlers I have seen that actually bridges and leverages his opponent over his head, so that the crowns of their heads end up touching. While I don't doubt that Angle gets help from opponents in literally flipping them over his head, I think it is important to remember that Angle does this with both opponents of his size and bigger. Thus, he is my pick for the best "belly-to-belly suplexer." Here's an example (ignore the botch headline, as it just refers to Angle and Michaels audibly calling their match at Wrestlemania 21):

[youtube]dldN29h7AtM[/youtube]​

I honestly can't argue with that. Kurt's belly to belly is awesome. Especially when he did the top rope one out of nowhere where he would zip up the turnbuckle and send them flying.

The Rock's wasn't too bad either. It seemed to rely more on momentum to toss the guy over than Angle's which seemed to focus on form. They were both equally impressive though but Angle's was the best all around.

Shane Douglas' Belly-To-Belly Suplex will always be THE Belly-To-Belly Suplex for me, since it was his actual finisher and since he defeated so many great wrestlers with the maneuver. Was it as pretty as someone like Kurt Angle's? No, but still... Douglas was the master of the move as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the Steiner Brothers both had BEAUTIFUL Belly-To-Belly Suplexes. In fact, I would say their Belly-To-Bellies were better looking then Kurt Angle's.

I'm going to go with either Scott Steiner, as jmt225 said, or Tazz.

Big Poppa Pump was a suplex machine, and could toss anyone, from any position. He's always had tremendous upper-body strength, and it showed when he did Belly-To-Belly suplexes.

I'm sure I'll be the only person to list Tazz, but I loved old school ECW, and I loved the gimmick he had even more. "Anyone can throw a suplex. Only Tazz can throw Tazzplexes." He wasn't the biggest wrestle in the company, but once he had his arms wrapped around you, you knew you were going for a ride. the Belly-To-Belly may not have been his best, but he still did it well.

For an over head belly to belly, they don't come any better than Kurt Angle's. The first time I saw him do one from the top rope I almost shat myself. That thing was beautiful and terrifying to watch.

For a general belly to belly, I gotta go with Scott Steiner. He is able to pull them off from all angles with any opponent and make it look incredible.

Today I will go with Kurt Angle probably because I know he is the only one who does it today. Overall, I believe Owen Hart does it the best. He does it so beautiful I am like wow whenever I look back at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back