The Domestic Football Thread

Miko

WATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER!?
Didnt see a thread about domestic football (soccer, so the Americans know which one we mean) so I thought I'd create one. What with the domestic seasons under full flow in Europe, the closing of the transfer market until January and the Europa and Champions League getting underway.

Talk about upcoming fixtures in here, as well as matches already played, how well you expect your teams to do, as well as all of the Cup Matches, transfers in and out, what you'd do differently and all that.

I follow far too much football for my own good so chances are I'll have something to say on most topics. Hopefully this thread wont be limited to just Europeans and maybe we'll get some MLS fans and others still in here when their seasons are underway. Not really sure when most other continents actually start and finish theres.

Basically just talk to me and everyone else about football

It's hard for me to keep up with much football/soccer since I live in America and the MLS is pretty terrible, but I'll try my best not to sound very stupid. I've only been watching for about a year, but I try and follow Chelsea and Bayern Munich.

Chelsea are doing great, winning all of their games but two or more goals. Drogba has five goals this year, three coming in the opening game of the season against Wigan. I like how Chelsea have played so far, they look dominate and set to win the Premier League again this season.

Bayern Munich have started out a lot less fast and graceful as Chelsea. With Robben hurt and out for two months, they're missing the tandem of Robben and Ribéry. Müller has been playing pretty good and looks like he'll be a force in the future, with him only being 21. Bayern have had 0-0 ties the last 2 games, and I hope they can pull out a win against Hoffenheim.

Yeah Chelsea look like the team to beat at the moment, some people would argue that they havent really played anyone yet, that'll all change when they take on wannabe Chelsea at the Eastlands on Saturday. I expect a Chelsea win over a City side that have yet to start firing on all of the cylinders their pricetag would suggest.

I know it's early days, but the premier league doesnt look like the 2 horse race that everybody thought it would be with United and Chelsea. More like Arsenal and Chelsea, although like I said, early days and you can usually expect a very strong second half of the season from United.

With Munich one would suspect it's only a matter of time before they start playing how we know they can, dont really watch the Bundesliga but they were pretty impressive in the Champions League last year, well beaten by Milan in the final, but starting to look like the dominant side they were in the late 90's.

Well I'd argue that the quality of opponent isn't the reason, considering the margin and the ease with which they've won all of their games. As the season goes on and they get better competition, I think they'll still dominate or at least win the large majority of their games.

Bayern's problem I feel is the lack of Robben. They played great last season with him, winning the German Cup and the Bundesliga. After he returns from injury, I think they'll return to the team they were last year, and maybe even a little better.

A lot of people are not giving Chelsea due credit as they feel they have had an easier run-in then their title opponents, with games against West Ham, Wigan, Blackpool and West Brom hardly proving much of a challenge. I really hate this excuse. By the end of the season, EVERYONE will have played the tough matches. Yes, Man Utd have had some difficult fixtures in Everton away and Liverpool at home but with the squad United have and the rejuvenation of Berbatov, they will continue to pose a challenge to Chelsea. Arsenal are another team i expect to maintain a strong title challenge, as long as Fabregas overcomes his injury problems and can play 30+ league games for the Gunners.

Overall, i think once the Champions League and F. A. Cup reach the later stages and the squads are stretched more, teams like Man Utd and Arsenal may be able to mount serious title challenges. However, with Malouda and Drogba on fire at the moment, i find it hard to look past Chelsea for the title.

Sure, everyone will have played everyone else by the season's end but getting off to good start by playing the weaker sides can do wonders for your season.

Look at Liverpool. We've had our worst start to a season in 18 years because we have had to play Arsenal, City and Utd in the first month. That is going to be hard to recover from regardless of who we play next.

Because Chelsea have had an easy start they were able to build early momentum as well as a healthy points lead before having to play any team of consequence. They will now be primed and ready for City as they have brushed aside everyone so far and by Saturday afternoon they could already have an 8 point lead

I understand what you're saying, but a true championship team should be able to overcome a few tough fixtures, espcially so early in the season with only the Champions League group stages effecting the league, and with Man Utd putting out the reserves anyway.

Besides, look at Chelsea's next few games compared to United's:
Chelsea: Man City(a), Marseille(h), Arsenal(h), Villa(a), Spartak Moscow(a)
Man Utd: Bolton(a), Valencia(a), Sunderland(a), West Brom (h), Bursaspor (h)

I would say Chelsea had the tougher run in bar the Valencia game and i would expect United to claw back some of the points defecit in these fixtures. Yes, Chelseas have gained invaluable form due to their run in but with fixtures like that, true skill and class will have to prevail too.

I'd call Newcastle Chelsea first real test, even though its the Carling Cup and strange things happen, combined with the big teams seemingly lack of interest in it. Obviously Chelsea lost 4-3 a result that made me very happy because since they got relegated to the Championship, Newcastle with their new attitude and Sam Houghton at the helm have become my favourite team in the Premier League this year, despite all of the convicts playing for them.

That being said, it is the Carling Cup, to really judge Chelsea this year I still think it's against Man City tommorow, I cant see Man City winning at all, but they are proving to be quite difficult to score against, we'll see how Chelsea do against them and that'll be a pretty good indication of their form.

Hats off to Newcastle, who have also started brightly in the Premiership but having looked at the results in the Carling Cup, i think Arsenal have no better chance at winning it than this year. To say that Spurs, Man City, Everton, Liverpool and Chelsea are all out of the competition in the third round is remarkable and bar Man Utd and Aston Villa, i don't see many other teams challenging a strong Arsenal youth team.

And i agree that Man City are the first real test for Chelsea this season but i see them easily winning. With key defenders such as Richards and Kolorov missing for Man City and Boateng and Lescott doubtful, i can easily see Malouda and Drogba continuing their red-hot form from the beginning of the season. £10 on at the bookies for Chelsea to win 3-1 and hopefully i will be £180 richer...

£10 on at the bookies for Chelsea to win 3-1 and hopefully i will be £180 richer...

So my little jaunt to the bookies didn't work out! Great result for City, whose defensive play really stifled Chelsea and kept them out of the game. Not a pretty tactic to employ by Mancini but if it gets results like this, i can't imagine too many City fans will be upset. They're now level on points with Arsenal, who slipped up at home to West Brom so it looks like Man Utd can take a big step in closing the gap at the top down to a point at Bolton tomorrow.

Ancelotti's substitutions really undermined the injuries they have at the club, as they threw on youngster McEachran from a young bench when 1-0 down. Yossi Benayoun would have been a better option if fit and with Lampard out too, Chelsea look to be wobbling a little now with some very tough fixtures coming up. Also, Drogba looked very suprised to be substituted when Chelsea were chasing an equaliser. I would have to agree with him because as quiet a game he had had, the bench had very little proven talent on the field and as good a prospect as Sturridge was, i never saw him scoring on his return to his old club.

City are unbelieveably boring to watch with their 4-6-0 formation. Sure, Tevez is deployed as a striker but he spends most of his time pressurising the opposition and is not really a lone striker at all. They might be hard to score against and are grinding out results but their use of at least 2, sometimes 3, defensive midfielders, as mentioned in my DM thread, is a blight on the modern game

Барбоса;2464494 said:
City are unbelieveably boring to watch with their 4-6-0 formation. Sure, Tevez is deployed as a striker but he spends most of his time pressurising the opposition and is not really a lone striker at all. They might be hard to score against and are grinding out results but their use of at least 2, sometimes 3, defensive midfielders, as mentioned in my DM thread, is a blight on the modern game

It's remarkable that a team with the attacking talent of Silva, Johnson and Milner has to sacrifice 1/3 of these attacking options to play three defensive midfielders in Barry, De Jong and Toure. It's a shame because they could easily play a more attacking Chelsea-esque 4-3-3 with Toure, Barry and Milner in midfield supporting a front three of Silva, Balotelli and Tevez. Then you've still got the option of bringing on a more attack-minded Johnson as a sub. And as i said on your thread, the DM role is over-hyped in my opinion; there is certainly no need to be playing 3 DMs in any game whatsoever. Especially with £100m + of attacking talent at the club.

As a Liverpool fan, Барбоса, what did you make of Kuyt's goal? Was it karma for the beach-ball incident last season? I still can't believe it was given. I believe it was Charlie Nicholas who said you'ld be hard pressed to find a centre-half so arrogant as to backheel the ball to the keeper in open play and i would have hoped the ref had used some common sense and ruled it out.

As a Liverpool fan, Барбоса, what did you make of Kuyt's goal? Was it karma for the beach-ball incident last season? I still can't believe it was given. I believe it was Charlie Nicholas who said you'ld be hard pressed to find a centre-half so arrogant as to backheel the ball to the keeper in open play and i would have hoped the ref had used some common sense and ruled it out.

Personally, I do not think that anything illegal took place. Sure, perhaps the 'spirit of the game' was impugned and had the ref not turned his back he would have called Torres back but technically Turner purposefully kicked a stationary ball from the spot the free kick was supposed to take place so you could see why the linesman did not overrule the goal being given.

It should not have been given but with the amount of time-wasting that goes on in the modern game, fucking about like Turner did was bound to eventually lead to something ridiculous happening.

Барбоса;2465633 said:
Personally, I do not think that anything illegal took place. Sure, perhaps the 'spirit of the game' was impugned and had the ref not turned his back he would have called Torres back but technically Turner purposefully kicked a stationary ball from the spot the free kick was supposed to take place so you could see why the linesman did not overrule the goal being given.

It should not have been given but with the amount of time-wasting that goes on in the modern game, fucking about like Turner did was bound to eventually lead to something ridiculous happening.

Agreed. I'ld say it was more 'bad sportsmanship' than 'rule-breaking' but then i think 'bad sportsmanship' is a bit harsh. Torres kept looking at the linesman before celebrating which suggests to me that he knew he had bent the rules but a goal's a goal and it proved to be vital as Sunderland played brilliantly at times.

Looking at the Sunderland team, it is refreshing to see a team go to somewhere like Anfield and play 4-4-2 as opposed to 4-5-1. Bent and Wellbeck upfront caused a few problems and it was nice to see a team go to a big ground like Anfield and play to win. Is this a sign of how Liverpool have fallen now that teams view a trip to Anfield as winnable, or is it just the way Steve Bruce wants the team to play?

Bruce is a protege of SAF, the one manager who still knows how to play a proper 4-4-2.

As for Liverpool, I think we have the makings of a decent side. Our three new midfielders, Poulsen, Cole and Meireles, are all good while Konchesky was a decent signing to join an already reasonable defence. Together with Torres, Gerrard and perhaps the best keeper in Europe in Pepe I think it is only a matter of time before they gel.

I actually thought that our best 11 should have played against Northampton. I understand that Woy wants to keep players fit and rested by Torres in particular needs game time. It might only have been in the Carling Cup against lower league opposition but if he bags a brace there then he is well on the road to top form.

The two things we are lacking badly are pace on the flanks and another striker. Johnson is a good wing back (terrible defender though) but he cannot be expected to do all the wing work. Babel does his best work cutting inside, much like Steve McManaman, not on the wing while Kuyt and Jovanovic might as well be the same person: hard-working, chipping in with a few goals but ultimately second rate. Ngog is the same. Just not good enough to make the best 11. We need at least one pacey winger who will actually stay on the wing and a workhorse centre forward capable of holding up the ball and feeding Torres in the old Toshack/Keegan mould.

Барбоса;2464494 said:

Dont get me started on Citeh, it was a good result for them against Chelsea and fair play to them for it, I didnt see it coming. It's just so dull, the goal came from a moment of brilliance from Tevez which is all well and good, but outside the occasional Tevez moments Man City arent scoring many goals, if Tevez has an off match, or gets shut down like at Sunderland, City will probably continue to have results like the one at Sunderland.

I read that last bit somewhere but agreed with it enough to post it.

Thought I'd bump this to give it a new lease on life or something. Coming up to January and the season's starting to take shape, sadly City are sitting in the top four above the much more exciting Tottenham, I only hope Spurs can chuck that boring waste of a team out of the top four before it's all over. Liverpool's results have improved a lot with the result against Newcastle aside and Chelsea are struggling, what a change from the begginning of the season, would be really nice if Chelsea were miraculously kicked out of the top four as well, although I doubt it.

Barring a major fuck up it looks like Arsenal will win a trophy this season, even if it is only the Carling Cup, Wenger will continue to complain about people tackling his little boys despite Arsenal having some of the highest foul counts going. They're still getting destroyed by Barcelona in the Champion's League though, also not winning the Premiership either. Wenger, you inhereted a great team and won trophies, since they've gone you've done fuck all, truly pales in comparison to Fergie.

Benitez continue's to prove that he's rubbish and it looks like Milan are gonna sack him although that's just speculation at the moment, but 13 points behind Dad's Army in Serie A with a team that won the treble last year. Between him, Wenger and Cappello, Wilkins leaving Chelsea and their form plummeting I am begginning to think foreigners are overrated in football Management, harsh I suppose, they've all had successes, but I dont think they are any better than alot of the Englishmen out there that succeed with smaller teams that are never given the same chance with a big club, basically rich owners must have their token italians/spaniards/whatever.

As a nuetral still hoping Tottenham do well, as they're fun, Redknapp annoys alot of people which makes him okay in my book. COME ON BLACKPOOL!! Man United are still the greatest English team going, despite not having the quality on paper as some of their rivals, another testament to Fergie. La Liga is still a two horse race, even if Barca routinely massacre Real, that being said give Mourinho two years and it could be a different story.

That's my thoughts, yours?

Thought I'd bump this to give it a new lease on life or something. Coming up to January and the season's starting to take shape, sadly City are sitting in the top four above the much more exciting Tottenham, I only hope Spurs can chuck that boring waste of a team out of the top four before it's all over. Liverpool's results have improved a lot with the result against Newcastle aside and Chelsea are struggling, what a change from the begginning of the season, would be really nice if Chelsea were miraculously kicked out of the top four as well, although I doubt it.

Barring a major fuck up it looks like Arsenal will win a trophy this season, even if it is only the Carling Cup, Wenger will continue to complain about people tackling his little boys despite Arsenal having some of the highest foul counts going. They're still getting destroyed by Barcelona in the Champion's League though, also not winning the Premiership either. Wenger, you inhereted a great team and won trophies, since they've gone you've done fuck all, truly pales in comparison to Fergie.

Benitez continue's to prove that he's rubbish and it looks like Milan are gonna sack him although that's just speculation at the moment, but 13 points behind Dad's Army in Serie A with a team that won the treble last year. Between him, Wenger and Cappello, Wilkins leaving Chelsea and their form plummeting I am begginning to think foreigners are overrated in football Management, harsh I suppose, they've all had successes, but I dont think they are any better than alot of the Englishmen out there that succeed with smaller teams that are never given the same chance with a big club, basically rich owners must have their token italians/spaniards/whatever.

As a nuetral still hoping Tottenham do well, as they're fun, Redknapp annoys alot of people which makes him okay in my book. COME ON BLACKPOOL!! Man United are still the greatest English team going, despite not having the quality on paper as some of their rivals, another testament to Fergie. La Liga is still a two horse race, even if Barca routinely massacre Real, that being said give Mourinho two years and it could be a different story.

That's my thoughts, yours?

I can't believe I haven't been posting in here but I don't really come into this forum any more. Especially since football is not going very well up north. Let's face it, Celtic and Rangers are the best things that we have going and event then, they are absolutely crap this season. Not that I am surprised by that at all. In fact, they have been pretty worthless for the better part of 5 or 6 years. The last time I remember Scottish football being worth anything was when Celtic and Rangers reached the EUFA Cup final in their respective years. Still, it's been a terrible season for both. Both of the look utterly shite.

In the English game, I can't believe that Manchester United are still on top of the league. At the start of the season, I wonder what odds I would have gotten for that? They shouldn't have the tea to win the league. I mean, Ronaldo is gone and Rooney has basically been the worst striker they have this season. Who else has taken trips to Dubai this season... Just for the sake of it? Pathetic is what you call it. That being said, Berbatov has picked up the slack and it is about time. As you said, Arsenal have looked good and ought to win something this year. It will be a cold day in hell if they win the league though. I don't see it happening. I still think Chelsea will turn it around. Once Lampard and Terry are back and hitting form, they might start to turn it up a little bit.

Benitez is a joke. Not to mention the fact that he was a Liverpool manager, he is also utterly idiotic with his management style. You simply cannot rotate players like you did at Liverpool in Milan. Too many egos for that and it is not surprising to me that none of the players will play their best stuff for him. He is a bad manager and he will be gone by the end of January, if he even makes it that far. It just shows you the difference in class between someone like Benitez and Jose Mourinho. Mourinho is simply the best manager around right now.

As for Tottenham, I like them and hope that they can crack the top 4. Redknapp, I am not so sure about. He seems too cocksure for a manager but that is what attracts people to his character I guess. When Cappello gets sacked and he will get sacked. I think Redknapp will the man to take over. I's like to think that Tottenham can keep going in the Champion's League and do well in the league too. If nothing else, they are certainly exciting to watch.

I can't believe I haven't been posting in here but I don't really come into this forum any more. Especially since football is not going very well up north. Let's face it, Celtic and Rangers are the best things that we have going and event then, they are absolutely crap this season. Not that I am surprised by that at all. In fact, they have been pretty worthless for the better part of 5 or 6 years. The last time I remember Scottish football being worth anything was when Celtic and Rangers reached the EUFA Cup final in their respective years. Still, it's been a terrible season for both. Both of the look utterly shite.

I think your big two teams seem to have the same problem as your national team, they're too negative. I cant say as I watch the SPL and I assume it's not the same for them up there, but when your lot get to big european competitions they sit back and defend, which is annoying because with players like Kenny Miller and that they've always got a good chance at a smash and grab.

Same with the national side, when you play negative you get beaten by the Czech's, but when they went against Spain they went for it and only lost 3 - 2, they scored twice against a team that didnt concede 1 goal in the whole knockout phase of the World Cup. On the other hand I am English and am currently in no position to criticise.

In the English game, I can't believe that Manchester United are still on top of the league. At the start of the season, I wonder what odds I would have gotten for that? They shouldn't have the tea to win the league. I mean, Ronaldo is gone and Rooney has basically been the worst striker they have this season. Who else has taken trips to Dubai this season... Just for the sake of it? Pathetic is what you call it. That being said, Berbatov has picked up the slack and it is about time. As you said, Arsenal have looked good and ought to win something this year. It will be a cold day in hell if they win the league though. I don't see it happening. I still think Chelsea will turn it around. Once Lampard and Terry are back and hitting form, they might start to turn it up a little bit.

United always come strong this time of year, although they are the only predictable thing about the league at the moment, Chelsea just lost to Arsenal which is good news, even though I am not a fan of Arsene Wenger and his little foreign children.

I am certain of it, Rooney is a midfielder now, he plays deep, and when he doesnt score he's still invaluable because of the sheer amount of assists he's garnered, still a cunt though. Still, maybe the national team should make him a midfielder and get rid of that 10 year old joke that is "Gerrard and Lampard have to play".

Benitez is a joke. Not to mention the fact that he was a Liverpool manager, he is also utterly idiotic with his management style. You simply cannot rotate players like you did at Liverpool in Milan. Too many egos for that and it is not surprising to me that none of the players will play their best stuff for him. He is a bad manager and he will be gone by the end of January, if he even makes it that far. It just shows you the difference in class between someone like Benitez and Jose Mourinho. Mourinho is simply the best manager around right now.

I dont think Benitez is idiotic, he's just like his spanish counterpart Capello, a guy who's had tremendous success with various teams but is currently outdated. Only because they are stubborn ***** and refuse to learn and change, Benitez has gone downhill because he's still exactly the same manager now as he was 5 years ago, Capello will only play old men (Upson over Dawson??????) and Benitez couldnt identify a threat if they scored a hat trick against his team on their home ground with an away leg still to go.

As for Tottenham, I like them and hope that they can crack the top 4. Redknapp, I am not so sure about. He seems too cocksure for a manager but that is what attracts people to his character I guess. When Cappello gets sacked and he will get sacked. I think Redknapp will the man to take over. I's like to think that Tottenham can keep going in the Champion's League and do well in the league too. If nothing else, they are certainly exciting to watch.

I like old twitchy features, it's criminal that Tottenham are essentially his first big team, but thats the EPL, big teams import foriegners (I sound racist I guess). I personally hope Harry stay's at Tottenham mainly because he's doing a good job, and he's called Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard and Lampard "must play" even in four years time. As if a decade of failure wasnt enough for these frankly overrated players. Gerrard, Lampard and Terry cant even help their club teams at the moment.

Personally I hope the job goes to Steve Bruce or even though he's Scottish and played for Ireland Owen Coyle. . . Both have done great jobs with their club teams and they'll get a younger English team playing good football, more importantly, I get the impression they'll flog anyone with the mentality of "hoof it to the big man" which is what England have at the moment. England play Sam Allardyce football at the moment, which is horrible to watch, and the fact that they play that under a Spaniard show's how outdated Capello has truly become.

Sorry about doing that old debator trick of dissecting your post.

Why do people love Tottenham so much? 10 years ago we were doing the same things but the media hated us for it. Their player of the season was signed after deadline day and they have the worst set of fans I have ever come accross (my Dad tells me they used to be worse but I don't know if what he tells me is true). I hate how they've been the media darlings for years yet have never achieved anything of note (FA CUp in 2008 aside) for some time, but hey they're Londoners, they waste a lot of money, they underachieve and have delusions of grandeur and the media love that.

Change Southern to Northern and you get the media hating you for it. Baffles me.

Why do people love Tottenham so much? 10 years ago we were doing the same things but the media hated us for it. Their player of the season was signed after deadline day and they have the worst set of fans I have ever come accross (my Dad tells me they used to be worse but I don't know if what he tells me is true). I hate how they've been the media darlings for years yet have never achieved anything of note (FA CUp in 2008 aside) for some time, but hey they're Londoners, they waste a lot of money, they underachieve and have delusions of grandeur and the media love that.

Change Southern to Northern and you get the media hating you for it. Baffles me.

It's because the Nothern teams are dirty and the Southern teams all conduct themselves fantastically....oh wait they're Hooligans, cheaters and Man U fans.

I don't hate Tottenham but I hate their manager and I hate the fact they think they are a big club. Rafael Van Der Vaart has been amazing for them so far this year and he is the difference why Spurs are doing much better then they usually do. I hate Harry Redknapp with a passion, he is a piss poor manager without the backing of millions of pounds. He did fuck all with Pompy 1st time round and then Southampton and he fucked Pompy over the second time round when the money was gone. It amazes me how decent managers like Hughton and Allardyce get sacked without hardly spending a penny and that horrible excuse for a human is still getting paid millions to throw millions away.

Even the media know how bad he is. Spurs have been linked with just about everyone in the last few weeks. Taylor and Carroll from Newcastle, Samba from Blackburn, Parker from West Ham. All because they know how much Harry likes to spend. I don't understand why people love this guy

Jumping the gun a bit I think, I seem to remember the media hailing Newcastle as the new team to end Premier League monotony. The hating didnt start until the owners started sacking everything that moved for what they deemed as failure, I agree the fans got an unfair deal as the media often seemed to blame them for the bad decisions, as nearly every geordie I've met didnt have the delusion of grandeur that they're painted as having.

Still, you seem to think that Chelsea getting loads of money and winning everything was met with cheers all round, they're one of the most hated teams in the country, and they're Londoner's, go figure.

I cant really call it a waste of money though as it all came from club profits, and they've gone from near bottom, to 8th to 4th in the space of 2 years. Money well spent to me. Still, I've been a long time Newcastle sympathiser (you gave us Shearer, well, took him back from Blackburn anyway) so I am going to be a bit biased in favour of upstart teams.

Guaranteed if Tottenham dont make the Champion's league again this year the media will turn on them the same as they did to Newcastle when they started to drop.

I dont really like Spurs fans either though. Generally obnoxious in groups.

It's because the Nothern teams are dirty and the Southern teams all conduct themselves fantastically....oh wait they're Hooligans, cheaters and Man U fans.

Bit of hate coming through here. You'll find that sort all over the country.

I don't hate Tottenham but I hate their manager and I hate the fact they think they are a big club. Rafael Van Der Vaart has been amazing for them so far this year and he is the difference why Spurs are doing much better then they usually do. I hate Harry Redknapp with a passion, he is a piss poor manager without the backing of millions of pounds. He did fuck all with Pompy 1st time round and then Southampton and he fucked Pompy over the second time round when the money was gone. It amazes me how decent managers like Hughton and Allardyce get sacked without hardly spending a penny and that horrible excuse for a human is still getting paid millions to throw millions away.

With Hughton I'll refer you to Newcastle's owners stupidity and the reason the media "hate them". Sam Allardyce got sacked because Blackburn no longer wish to be associated with that horrible brand of football "Ooof it to tha big man". Thank fuck. Hopefully Big Sam will get a job abroad and take his hero Peter Crouch with him and we'll never hear from them again, meanwhile Owen Coyle can continue to have the same or more success than him at Bolton while his team play entertaining football.

With Redknapp, Portsmouth should have put him on a leash, no sympathy there, the guy can only spend what he's given. Spurs on the other hand could afford it at the time but now wont let him spend now unless it's from money made from transfers out. He is a bit loose with the cash though, I am not a big fan of spending like that, but I cant think of many teams that have done well in the league without forking out shitloads. The way it is.

Even the media know how bad he is. Spurs have been linked with just about everyone in the last few weeks. Taylor and Carroll from Newcastle, Samba from Blackburn, Parker from West Ham. All because they know how much Harry likes to spend. I don't understand why people love this guy

Chelsea, Man United, City, Arsenal even West Ham and Everton have been linked with some of or all of those names, Spurs are just apart of that list. Tottenham fans love Harry because he's taken them to the Champions League, everyone else hates him pretty much, I cant help but like him though, fact of the matter is, with Redknapp Portsmouth where promoted, stayed up, won the FA Cup, when he went they sucked, he came back, succeeded by spending money given to him by new owners, and qualified for Europe. Not his fault the club couldnt afford it really, they gave him money and he spent it.

I think a lot of it has to do with this 'English' spirit that the club has. With foreign stars like Torres and Drogba looking lacklustre and the national side underperforming under an Italian, I think some sections of the media see a team managed by 'everyone's favourite cockney' Harry Redknapp with such talent as Dawson, King, Defoe, Lennon, Bale and Huddlestoneand a sense of patriotism overcomes them (even though Bale is Welsh).

Of course, attempting to break the monotony of the top 4 and some impressive displays in Europe help too, but I think when compared to teams like Arsenal and their multi-national squad or Liverpool who are underachieving and only really have a few British first teamers, Spurs become viewed at almost romantically and suddenly become everyone's second club.

As if we needed reminding that the Premier League is the most overrated League in the World, and the fact that it isnt actually brimming with the World Class talent people seem to think it is. Here is the Fifa World 11 (4-3-3 Formation);

1. Casillas
2. Maicon
3. Lucio
4. Pique
5. Puyol
6. Sneijder
7. Xavi
8. Iniesta
9. Messi
10. David Villa
11. Christiano Ronaldo

Also the shortlist for the best player in the World contained about 3 players from the Premier League. I've always said that the Premier League can create stars, but it cant keep them or buy them. The top players dont really want to play here, they'd prefer Real or Barcelona or one of the Italian giants. Cant say I really blame them either.

Can't really complain about that team or the lack of Premier League talent. I couldn't name you a premier league footballer who did anything of note last year. Torres was woeful for club and anonymous for country and whilst Rooney went off the boil in Jan, he was out of the running too (although I wouldn't say he was ever in the running).

English teams lack of success scurped a lot of EPL players with Inter and Bayern's demolitions of United and Chelsea respectively in the quarters probably playing a large role in this final team.

I was going to argue that a 4-3-3 formation would favour the players playing abroad as English sides tending to play 4-4-2 but Arsenal, Chelsea and United all regularly play 4-3-3; it's just the players in the team of the year know their positions and don't drift.

Sadly, I don't see anyone upset this monopoly next season, not even Bale. If 4-3-3 is the favoured formation, with Iniesta/Xavi making 2/3 of your centre midfield, you would still pick Messi/Ronaldo as your wide attackers. I would say CM and CF/ST would be the two positions most likely to change next time so unless Bale moves position, i don't see him making the team unless Spurs do something remarkable like win the league/Champions league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back