The Disney Afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
503443.jpg

Say what you will, but from 1990-1997, there was the Disney Afternoon, and it created some of the best cartoon shows I've ever seen. And since I'm feeling particularly nostalgic today, I'm creating a thread in its honor.

Gummi+Bears+Article.jpg

The Gummi Bears. They drank a magic elixer which empowered them to bounce around and fight bad guys. This was the first lesson I ever had about the magic that is tequila.

ducktales3.jpg

Duck Tales was a cooler, updated version of the classic cartoons involving ducks. The heros were cool in their own ways, Gizmo Duck was brilliant, and some of the villains like Magica DeSpell and Flintheart Glomgold were tremendous. Spawned several 5-part episodes and a major motion picture, as well as a fan Nintendo game.

logo.jpg

They didn't look like the oiled up dancers, so thank god for small miracles. The Rescue Rangers were a redux on the old chipmunk cartoons, but cooler. The additions of Monterey Jack and Gadget were fun, but the villains made this cartoon fun. Professor Nimnul, Fat Cat, Rat Capone, etc. Always enjoyed them.

talespin.jpg

Take the entire cast of Jungle Book, modernize them, make the fat bear a pilot, and make his boss Sally Struthers. The results of a bad acid trip? Maybe. The baseline of a cool cartoon show? Absolutely. They started with a 12-week countdown to arrive at this show, and it didn't disappoint. Shear Khan played a ruthless business conglomerate, but Don Karnage the air pirate was one of the best villains in Disney history.

TV_darkwing_duck_on_bonkers.jpg

My love for this show is well documented, especially with my halloween costume in the pictures section. The terror that flaps in the night. He was an egomaniacal crime fighter who must have been built loosely off of the Maxwell Smart character from the TV sitcome Get Smart. The villains - Megavolt, Bushroot, Liquidator, Negaduck, and Quackerjack were a mix of Batman and James Bond baddies. LOVE it.

Goof Troop and Bonkers were respectable paricipants later on, and Gargoyles had staying power.

What are your memories of the Disney Afternoon, and what were the best shows?

What are your memories of the Disney Afternoon, and what were the best shows?

Great thread idea. I had completely forgotten about this lineup. I used to watch it all the time after school when I was little. The first few years I watched it I liked Rescue Rangers and Tail Spin the best because I thought all the characters were cool. Later on though, Goof Troop became my favorite one. It was hilarious and one of the best cartoons of all time because it was one of those shows you watched as a kid that would still be hilarious and awesome to us as adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back