The Conundrum of Roman Reigns

snazzy

The Future of WWE
So if you've watched TLC you'll know that Reigns returned at TLC to save Cena. I have always been one of Roman Reigns' detractors, I got very tired of his ~5 moves of doom and constantly winning matches, the superman treatment, if you will. However when he returned I simply could not help but mark out.

His return was handled very well (I almost think Big Show beat Rowan to make the return more effective) and he got a very very good reception (one of the loudest pops since perhaps Daniel Bryan). What I realised is that he most definitely has a special quality about him that makes him a unique superstar. His look is incredible and I must say he looked absolutely awesome storming through the crowd with that intense look in his eyes and his music in the background only complemented that. He has great "big" moves that can lift a crowd up at any moment and they're both moves that can be performed out of nowhere. It really did get me pumped after a lackluster PPV.

However with that being said, his return promo. I must say it was one of the worst I have ever seen. Okay he messed up on the "declare" bit (I cringed), but then when he stared at the camera it was almost as if he forgot his lines and that's when I couldn't bear it any longer and temporarily switched off (I watched it just now before making this thread and it isn't any better). I was recently defending his mic skills saying they were not that bad, but boy was I proved wrong. He lacks timing and emphasis, and most importantly of all he just needs to relax. His character is very intense so I somewhat understand what he's trying to do but it isn't working very well.

Now we clearly see that the WWE see him as the best thing since sliced bread and how reluctant the WWE universe are to accept this (even though casuals love him and even some smarks like myself could accept his push). My question is do you think he needs to be the Rock, Austin or Cena on the mic? Is it necessary for him to cut 20 minute promos every Monday night or could he simply be the champion that kicks ass and says few words? If he doesn't improve his mic skills is he doomed to fail? I personally think it's something you're natural at, you can improve how you cut promos but you certainly don't develop charisma.

I also think he can get by as a great main-event if he says few words and let his matches do the talking, there have been examples where this has been a recipe for success (Goldberg, Lesnar (albeit he has Heyman) and Ryback to an extent). You can certainly argue he has a much better look and character than all three of ones I mentioned. It worked for him fantastically well in the Shield where he was incredibly over and I think it could work for him as champion. There are many different types of champions. Three examples: there are champions who cut 20 minute promos with ease (CM Punk, John Cena, I'm sure you can think of more), and then you have the champions who you can fully believe would dominate the entire roster (Lesnar), and finally the ultimate underdog/someone you can really get behind in a big match (Cena, Bryan). I would place a WWE title holding Reigns in the last two categories, and that certainly isn't a recipe for disaster. Bryan in my opinion isn't the best on the mic or at cutting promos, yet he was told a story in the ring and was great at playing the underdog. Why is it difficult to believe Reigns could be a great champion despite the lack of mic skills? I don't find it too difficult to believe Reigns as a WWE World Heavyweight champion if he does it in his own way and I don't require him to behave like a Cena or a Punk for him to have a successful title reign.

I really want Reigns to succeed as I definitely see potential there, you must remember he is relatively young and has limited experience in the wrestling industry. I would hold off for the title run. I would have him enter a program with Rusev after the Royal Rumble (narrowly losing it to whoever else they have for Brock (which is another issue)). And then possibly a program with Rollins for the title leading up to Summerslam.

To summarise, I believe the conundrum is Reigns looks perfect for a superstar, has a great signature move set (move sets can always be developed), good intensity in the ring, but just sucks at cutting promos.

So now I've given my view, my questions to you are:

Do you think Reigns can make it right to the top despite the lack of charisma? (Keeping in mind he has other unique tools that other wrestlers would love to have.)

Is it vital for a WWE champion to have impeccable mic skills?

Who would you have Reigns enter the ring with at WM31?

Did his return do anything for you?

Yeah that promo was sooo awkward. The pause made the flub worse as it became obvious that he had forgotten his lines.

Personally, I'm for them cutting back on the dialogue for now. People were interested in him while he was in the Shield because he was a man of few words. Just have the writers give him minimal dialogue designed for maximum impact. I like Reigns, but right now he represents everything about the WWE that annoys me- its belief that it creates the stars, when in reality it should merely be booking them. To respond to the questions though

- If WWE pushes him too hard, fans will reject him. I think he needs another year and then MAYBE he will be ready. We need to know whether he can tear down the house before putting the belt on him. Hogan might not have been a great wrestler, probably even worse than Reigns. But he knew how to tear down the house.

- Ehhhhhh...no? I've always considered the Undertaker to be rather average on the mic, but his promos tend to be written in the way Reigns' should be. Make the little dialogue count.

- I have no idea. On one hand, I dont want to see Cena dethrone Brock and no one else is quite on the level to do so. Reigns, annoyingly, is the only good choice...unless they turn Brock heel and sick Rusev on him. Rusev's build has been much stronger than Reigns. So 'Reigns vs Brock' could work if WWE somehow books Reigns to perfection and he shows off some mad new skills. Otherwise....maybe Rollins? In my opinion, his match with Rollins was his best work. Strangely, his first match with the Miz was surprisingly decent, although the Miz would be a step down. Bray might be a good opponent.

- Yeah, although I would've preferred Orton. Yet oddly...I kind of want to see 'Reigns vs Big Show'. I'm sure it will be a terrible match, but Big Show is usually presented as a monster heel and that would make an interesting contrast to Reigns being the total opposite.

Do you think Reigns can make it right to the top despite the lack of charisma? (Keeping in mind he has other unique tools that other wrestlers would love to have.)

I think that Roman Reigns will be an upper tier level guy when it's all said & done. However, I personally don't believe that he'll ultimately be the next "Face" of WWE in the same way that Cena is. IF it's ultimately Vince's goal for Reigns to take Cena's spot, then Reigns is going to have to be able to forge a strong connection with fans, get then to rally behind him and to be constantly interested in what he's doing. Based just on what we've seen from Reigns in terms of charisma & personality, I don't see it happening. I think he'll be a top guy, but I have trouble seeing him as THE top guy.

Is it vital? Eh...it can be majorly important. . It's most certainly advantageous, but I don't think it's necessarily 100% vital. What's most important is being able to forge the connection with fans, to make them care one way or another and you don't necessarily have to be a master on the mic to do that. Daniel Bryan isn't fantastic on the mic, I think he does a pretty decent job though I think he'd do much better without scripted promos, but he's still been able to forge that connection with his character, his in-ring ability, a great portrayal of an underdog and his sheer likeability. People like the guy, they enjoy cheering for him, they genuinely want to cheer for him in a day & age where it's difficult for wrestling companies to get fans to cheer for the guys that the promoters "want" them to cheer for.

At this time, I'm not entirely sure. Again, based just on how things are looking right now and based on various reports, it'll be Reigns vs. Lesnar. As of this particular minute, I can't say I'm excited about that match because, right now, it just feels like it's gonna be some clash of the supermen. Roman Reigns has the whole big muscular, good looking stud thing going for him and we all know how much Vince loves that. That's all well and good but, inside the ring, on the mic and in the eyes of the fans, there are a lot better guys on the roster. I know that they've said that the Slammy Awards weren't fixed, but I can't help but feel that the Superstar of the Year award was at the very least. Compared to every other nominee, Reigns was just plain outclassed. If it's to be Reigns vs. Lesnar at WrestleMania XXXI, then Reigns needs to step up his game in a major way. In 2015, I don't think a lot of fans necessarily want another John Cena as the "face" of the company. I think the business is changing and, ironically, Vince seems to be pretty reluctant to change with the times.

It was good to see him. I like the guy, I think he's done a solid job on his own thus far, but I didn't mark out or anything. As I alluded to, I don't think he's ready for the spot he's reportedly being put into and if it turns out that he isn't, then it could lead to a dismal outing for him at WrestleMania.

If your definition of "right" to the top is Cena/Austin/Hogan level than I would say no. People seem to forget that those guys were MASSIVELY over for 6 years or more, where Reigns is already starting to lose some of his earlier momentum. To be at the tip top of the mountain, you have to be able to connect at least somewhat with your audience over the mic and that means having a lot of charisma. Bret Hart and Daniel Bryan, for example, were not the best on the mic, far from it, but they were able to exude something to the audience that they can get behind and understand. I have yet to see that with Reigns.

See above

Seth Rollins. Reigns is basically the only BIG babyface on the roster that Rollins has not had a drawn out feud with. They got it started a few months back but of course Reigns got injured and we never got the ending. This would be a great step for both guys and keeps Reigns momentum strong even though he's not competing for the WWEWHC.

It did to a point. Like you, I was pretty excited when I saw Reigns coming down to the ring looking like an ass kicking machine. The crowd was hot for it and it was very well booked... not too long and not too "flashy". But then when he got on the mic, he just froze up and I realized that he has not improved very much at all in that aspect, which kind of hurt the return for me. Still, I'm hopeful for Reigns and hoping he can improve.

Is it vital? Eh...it can be majorly important. . It's most certainly advantageous, but I don't think it's necessarily 100% vital. What's most important is being able to forge the connection with fans, to make them care one way or another and you don't necessarily have to be a master on the mic to do that. Daniel Bryan isn't fantastic on the mic, I think he does a pretty decent job though I think he'd do much better without scripted promos, but he's still been able to forge that connection with his character, his in-ring ability, a great portrayal of an underdog and his sheer likeability. People like the guy, they enjoy cheering for him, they genuinely want to cheer for him in a day & age where it's difficult for wrestling companies to get fans to cheer for the guys that the promoters "want" them to cheer for.

If your definition of "right" to the top is Cena/Austin/Hogan level than I would say no. People seem to forget that those guys were MASSIVELY over for 6 years or more, where Reigns is already starting to lose some of his earlier momentum. To be at the tip top of the mountain, you have to be able to connect at least somewhat with your audience over the mic and that means having a lot of charisma. Bret Hart and Daniel Bryan, for example, were not the best on the mic, far from it, but they were able to exude something to the audience that they can get behind and understand. I have yet to see that with Reigns.

I agree with you guys that they have to at least connect with the audience, and I think that Reigns currently connects with the audience. There's something about him that everyone likes, we saw that in his days with the Shield, he kicks ass and says little. I think what is irking everyone is the news of an impending Wrestlemania run-in with Lesnar. I think it contributed to people going off of Reigns. If Reigns reverted to minimalist promos and just kicking ass I think more people would accept him to go up against Lesnar and start to push towards being the top guy. I think the WWE tried to fix something that was not broken which will contribute to the backlash he will receive. I think he can pull off a dominant WWE World Heavyweight Champion very well, yet the WWE thinks he should be more like his cousin, trying to force charisma into him, but it doesn't work like that.

Do you think Reigns can make it right to the top despite the lack of charisma?

Yes, but I think that it would do no harm to make him the next Paul Heyman guy is Lesnar does finish up after WM. A few months under Heyman, regardless of him being a heel or face (I would prefer him as a heel) would give him more time to improve on the mic.

Not every champ has been good on the mic. Bret Hart, Sid, Benoit etc. if the in ring work can balance out the lack of mic skills then he can get away with it.

Rusev, if WWE wants to get Reigns over as the next megastar, have him end the streak of the Bulgarian Brute and take the US Title.

I haven't seen TLC but his promos on Raw haven't put me on the edge of my seat, but then that sums WWE up for the last while.

Yes, he could but if he ends up becoming let's say like The Rock I'd love to see a ''Stone Cold'' new superstar to make sure there isn't only one face of the WWE as it was just John in previous years untill Punk came.

I think it is so they can connect to the fans and make the fans care about the superstar and have their view on him.

Let Reigns win the Rumble and have him go against Brock at the Main Event for the title. So Reigns gets the title but make Rollins cash in! It will be an incredible way to end the show and it can restart his long-term feud with Rollins...

I think it's great he came back and the way he did by taking out Show and Rollins and doing it in a way that the fans were electrified. I'm happy he came back, but maybe they should have said he'll be out for longer so he could make a suprise return at the rumble.

I see people regularly putting Mic Skills and Charisma together, when Charisma is something on its own.

Charisma is defined as "compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others".

Now Roman Reigns does have charisma but it is isn't in his in-ring ability or in his promo/mic skills, rather it is in his "BadAss" look. That ability to get people to look at him and think, "This Guy looks like the Real Deal!".
It is the same kind of charisma possessed by Batista and the current WWE WHC, Brock Lesnar.

However, WWE has been trying to move too fast in his push because of him having "the Look", that his Mic Skills and In-Ring Skills just haven't had the time to catch up, and it has been to his detriment.

There is a reason that Roman Reigns' segments and staredowns with Batista,Cena and Triple H were greeted with approval by the majority of the fans, which was because he has that "SuperStar Look" which is associated with people in the Main Event scene and I believe that is what WWE is solely banking on going into the rumoured Lesnar vs Reigns showdown.

So far, the casuals seem to getting behind him, but the WWE has to be careful how they portray him.
Do they try to force him into longer segments on the mic, or do they try to incorporate other people into it, after all, Brock has Heyman, doesn't he?

I would like to see how he goes in the ring, before passing judgement, because whilst I do see he isn't anywhere near the finished product in the in-ring aspect, I do think he could be allowed to show alot more than he did pre-injury. That could very well be key to helping his momentum into Mania 31 and beyond.

Answering your questions:
At this point, I'm not sure. He does have Charisma required in having 'the Look'. However, other aspects such as Mic Work and In-Ring skills need improvement if he is to Stay on the Top, because given the rumours, it seems as if he will be getting there at Mania.

I think they need to be able to capture the audience's attention in some way through their promos, whether long or short. Not everyone is going to be a Cena, Punk, Rock or Austin. They are the best of the best, no shame in not being to such a level,lMO.
Unlike some others with regards to Reigns; I can see that the acting classes he took has helped in that his delivery style seems to of a more confident nature. However, I do wonder if the heavily scripted nature of his promos are hurting him.

Given his build and current following, I'd say the winner of the Brock-Cena 3 at the Royal Rumble. However, I'd dearly love both Ambrose and Rollins to have a role at the ending of the WWE WHC match at Mania, to setup a SHIELD 3-Way for the title post-Mania 31.

As a Reigns mark, I was excited obviously. The mistake and pauses thereafter in the promo brought it down a bit, but all in all, I am looking forward to RAW tonight! :)

Reigns..

It was an effective return storyline wise, but to see him still wearing that ridiculous ring gear and coming out to the shields music is disappointing. Thought maybe the future of the WWE would get his own unique character like the other two guys did. Haha

Also that promo was as bad as it was. All he really had to do was convey the fact that hes the first man entering himself in the Rumble.. you dont have to produce promos at a championship level to be a champion, but you certainly have to do better than that.

As for Wrestlemania, I think it should be Reigns, Ambrose and Rollins in a triple threat. Maybe put the breifcase on the line, maybe number one contendership. Unfortunately for Roman, its obvious either Rollins or Ambrose should go over in that match. Since the Shield disbanded two guys have shown they have what it takes and one hasn't. Best for business.

In the end I think the best thing for Reigns is to get a big time mouthpiece. Brock isnt going to be around for ever and to me, Reigns just looks like a bad guy. A Paul Heyman bad guy. Bingo.

I am going to be that guy. I don't think Roman has what it takes to be at the top. I don't see him ever being an all time great. There is many other wrestlers who should be in Romans spot.

I know Vince is going to force him down our throats anyway, but I can't get behind him. He knows less moves than Cena and Ryback. He has horrible mic skills, does awkward pauses and stutters/forgets his lines. He can't decide if he's laid back or super angry and it comes off weird.

Sure he is getting a solid reaction from the casual crowd now, but he has a long way to go before he can impress me and make me believe in him. He is being pushed too soon and until he proves me wrong, he will be known as Cena 2.0.

I've always been a fan of Roman Reigns and the Shield. But before I answer the questions put forth by the OP let me say this.

The Shield when they were together were the perfect group. You had Rollins the technical high flyer. Ambrose the lunatic fringe brawler, and Reigns as the silent powerhouse. As a group they were almost unbeatable as each one of them brought something to the ring the other two didn't possess. After the break up Rollins and Ambrose went on to have the feud of the year and Reigns, well he should have been booked solidly but they let him down badly.

He just sort of muddled around doing not really much of anything, other than getting involved in a lot of 6 man tag matches. He has pretty much proved time and time again the reason why he didn't say much on the mic as a member of the Shield, he sucks at it. I really thought after all this time off, plus acting lessons he would have felt a little more comfortable, but it's obvious he isn't.

Sometimes less is more, and giving him less to say would be better. In saying that however, they don't really give him long promo's and they aren't all that difficult. Last night during TLC it was cringeworthy watching him flub and forget his lines. I don't know if he'll ever get his feet under him, and if he can't, then he can't be the top guy. Now for the OP's questions.

He has a lot of charisma and presence when he's in the ring. He is almost perfect looking and everyone knows he's there. He is a force to be reckoned with once he gets going. Can he make it to the top, well that depends on how he is received by the fans, and turning him heel isn't the answer. They are looking for a face and he is the WWE's choice.

Very few have impeccable mic skills. Jericho, The Rock and Bray Wyatt have them. Ambrose, Cena and Rollins are pretty good. The rest are somewhere just behind them. Let's face it though, wrestling is all about promotion and promoting yourself. If Reigns can't promote himself he'll never make it to the top spot.

I wouldn't have him in the main event, he's not ready for it yet. He should be the one to take the title off of Rusev. Lana and Rusev get enough heat, to get the fans behind Reigns, he has to beat someone who they don't like, and Rusev is that person.

I'm glad to see him back and healthy. I really do like the guy. He's good looking and who doesn't like a good looking guy. He will have in time the goods to become a champion, just not now. Making him champion too early could damage his career.

Do you think Reigns can make it right to the top despite the lack of charisma?

I'll put it to you this way, if he didn't have charisma, he wouldn't be over.

Well, according to McMahon, it seems to be what is holding Cesaro back. If Reigns is going to be pushed for the long haul, he has to have a decent personality and character on the mic. This whole "man of few words" character may help him now, but if he is supposed to be the long term future of the company, he has to show dimension and depth to his persona. Cena has been the top guy for almost 9 years and has competently played virtually every type of babyface you can play. The "Underdog" babyface, the "I'm seeking revenge" babyface, the "Jokester" babyface, and even managed to survive the more morally complex storylines with CM Punk. Cena was very versatile on the mic and that is what Reigns needs to be.

Lesnar is a bad idea. Reigns is still inexperienced in the ring and I doubt Brock Lesnar cares enough to properly carry him. Also with Heyman being Brock's mouthpiece, there is a slight chance that Paul E. will expose his lack of mic skills in the build up to WM. I think Cena is probably the best option. He can be a solid promo hand for Reigns, it would be a great passing of the torch moment, and Cena would probably put on a better match than Brock if he really tried.

Personally, no. But the casual fans were eating them up and he looked like a legit world beater. The promo was okay, his facials seemed more organic than they were in the R Evolution promo. Yes there were some problems with the promo, but overall he is getting better in the mic department.

So if you've watched TLC you'll know that Reigns returned at TLC to save Cena. I have always been one of Roman Reigns' detractors, I got very tired of his ~5 moves of doom and constantly winning matches, the superman treatment, if you will. However when he returned I simply could not help but mark out.

His return was handled very well (I almost think Big Show beat Rowan to make the return more effective) and he got a very very good reception (one of the loudest pops since perhaps Daniel Bryan). What I realised is that he most definitely has a special quality about him that makes him a unique superstar. His look is incredible and I must say he looked absolutely awesome storming through the crowd with that intense look in his eyes and his music in the background only complemented that. He has great "big" moves that can lift a crowd up at any moment and they're both moves that can be performed out of nowhere. It really did get me pumped after a lackluster PPV.

However with that being said, his return promo. I must say it was one of the worst I have ever seen. Okay he messed up on the "declare" bit (I cringed), but then when he stared at the camera it was almost as if he forgot his lines and that's when I couldn't bear it any longer and temporarily switched off (I watched it just now before making this thread and it isn't any better). I was recently defending his mic skills saying they were not that bad, but boy was I proved wrong. He lacks timing and emphasis, and most importantly of all he just needs to relax. His character is very intense so I somewhat understand what he's trying to do but it isn't working very well.

Now we clearly see that the WWE see him as the best thing since sliced bread and how reluctant the WWE universe are to accept this (even though casuals love him and even some smarks like myself could accept his push). My question is do you think he needs to be the Rock, Austin or Cena on the mic? Is it necessary for him to cut 20 minute promos every Monday night or could he simply be the champion that kicks ass and says few words? If he doesn't improve his mic skills is he doomed to fail? I personally think it's something you're natural at, you can improve how you cut promos but you certainly don't develop charisma.

I also think he can get by as a great main-event if he says few words and let his matches do the talking, there have been examples where this has been a recipe for success (Goldberg, Lesnar (albeit he has Heyman) and Ryback to an extent). You can certainly argue he has a much better look and character than all three of ones I mentioned. It worked for him fantastically well in the Shield where he was incredibly over and I think it could work for him as champion. There are many different types of champions. Three examples: there are champions who cut 20 minute promos with ease (CM Punk, John Cena, I'm sure you can think of more), and then you have the champions who you can fully believe would dominate the entire roster (Lesnar), and finally the ultimate underdog/someone you can really get behind in a big match (Cena, Bryan). I would place a WWE title holding Reigns in the last two categories, and that certainly isn't a recipe for disaster. Bryan in my opinion isn't the best on the mic or at cutting promos, yet he was told a story in the ring and was great at playing the underdog. Why is it difficult to believe Reigns could be a great champion despite the lack of mic skills? I don't find it too difficult to believe Reigns as a WWE World Heavyweight champion if he does it in his own way and I don't require him to behave like a Cena or a Punk for him to have a successful title reign.

I really want Reigns to succeed as I definitely see potential there, you must remember he is relatively young and has limited experience in the wrestling industry. I would hold off for the title run. I would have him enter a program with Rusev after the Royal Rumble (narrowly losing it to whoever else they have for Brock (which is another issue)). And then possibly a program with Rollins for the title leading up to Summerslam.

To summarise, I believe the conundrum is Reigns looks perfect for a superstar, has a great signature move set (move sets can always be developed), good intensity in the ring, but just sucks at cutting promos.

So now I've given my view, my questions to you are:

I think he'll make it to the top. The writers just have to remember to show how Reigns deserves his push, show he earned his push vs. being forced like Batista earlier this year. I think him feuding with Show right now, definitely helps his case. A win over him then winning the Royal Rumble match could a long way.

No, I don't think it's vital for a WWE Champion to have great mic skills but I believe the wrestler should be able to connect with the crowd. His explosive moves and energy seems to do so.

If it was up to me, I'd have him face Rusev. I think they could sell Rusev as a legit threat to Rusev's winning streak. Yes, the US Championship is a step down from the WWE WHC, however, Reigns could elevate the championship. Cena won the US Championship at WM 20 and won the WWE Championship at the following WrestleMania.

I was surprised. I didn't see it coming. I'm surprised he didn't go after Rollins though.

Damn Vince might as well suck him off already. There booking him as if he can squash the entire roster by himself. He walks by John Cena at TLC and doesn't even acknowledge him. He's obviously going to take out Brock Lesnar. They are overpushing the hell out of this guy. He has a great look and presence I'll give him that but I need to see more. Vince think the current roster "lacks star power" when in reality he just lacks the patience to create a star that's not Cena. I think this is a panic move by WWE because clearly Reigns isn't ready. Let him develop more he looks way too green. Oh well, at least he isn't as cookie cutter as Cena. The thing with Cena though is as much as you want to bash him for his awful character he still can talk and can basically hang talking wise with anybody in the company. Reigns is a shithead on the mic and will get destroyed interacting with the top promo guys. If a guy like CM Punk was still around and feuded with Roman Reigns he would get embarassed on the mic. Let's see Reigns talk more please before you crown him as the next mega star. He needs to add more depth to his character I don't even know who he is besides cool looking guy who was in the shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back