• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Case of Jim Leavitt: When Does A Coach Cross The Line?

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
South Florida's investigation is continuing into whether coach Jim Leavitt struck a player at halftime of the Nov. 21 Louisville game, as originally reported by AOL Fanhouse.

But the player in question -- Joel Miller -- told ESPN's Joe Schad that it never happened.

"I don't think anything should happen to him," Miller said. "Me and Coach Leavitt are fine. People can say different things but he only grabbed my shoulder pads to motivate me."

Miller's father originally made the allegations public in that Fanhouse story but backed off of them in subsequent reports. Joel Miller told Schad that his family's story had been "misrepresented" and that he told school officials that earlier this week.

This story, quite frankly, just strikes me as really bizarre. It's one of those things that we'll never know the full story, nor can we possibly come to understand it. The original report is that he actually grabbed a player by the throat, and struck him twice. That's since been disproven, but this seems to be the line of what people believe had happened. The player at least confessed to Coach Levitt grabbing his shoulder pads.

I used to play high school football, with admittedly coaches having no problem getting in your face. Some will grab at your facemask, while others may go as far as to throw you down. That's actually happened before, though the coach later apologized and said it was over the line. Nevertheless, coaches usually tend to get physical with their players. It's an extremely violent game, and the unfortunate fact is, most coaches tend to get swept in the emotion. Still, certainly abusing your players is unacceptable. Look at the case of Coach Mangino in Kansas.

Having said that, what is the line for Coaches, both on a college and professional level? I personally have nothing against a coach getting a tad physical. Not beating a kid up, but surely a tug of the facemask isn't horrendous, but some people feel otherwise. Where do you draw the line at coaches getting physical?

It's football. Emotions run high, shit happens. The kid doesn't seem to have a problem, so therefore, I don't have a problem with it. It's a shame that great coaches get fucked over (not calling Leavitt great) by pansy ass players or parents that think physicality is barbaric. It's a shame that a guy like Bobby Knight was run out of Indiana for essentially the same thing. Really, a guy called the "General" was physical with one of his student athletes, no way.

Leavitt has built the USF program from scratch, and got them as high as #2 in the country, #2, South Florida, let that sink in. Yes, USF is perennial chokers ala Tony Romo when it comes to the last month of the season, but the man has built his program from scrach, and is the program. He is emotionally invested into it, and sometimes emotions run heavy.

This is all heresay... Personally I don't believe he did it. Levitt is a loyal coach who has taken USF from the bottom and brought them to the top of the Big East.

But anyways there's a fine line but its a different line between College and the Pro's. I have no problem when an NFL coach hits a player. These are professionals who are playing for a check. Not Collegiate kids several months or years removed from HS. College Kids are playing the game for fun and possibly a big break. I would never strike a Collegiate athlete but I'd have no problem hitting a NFL'er.

Coach Cowher used to slap his players with there mask on or tug the facemask. He was just sending a message, get your shit together. A tug can happen at all levels but a punch or a slap shouldn't happen in College...

one of the ESPN analysts hit the nail on the head when it comes to this stuff. in his day coaches would shove you, smack you on the helmet, talk down to you all that shit. now-a-days you can't do any of that stuff without being sued. gone are the days where the coach can go "YOU IDIOT!" now he's or she's gotta go "HEY good job now TRY AGAIN".

I think that coaches are not allowed to motivate anymore. Nothing motivates one like fear. All the 8th place ribbons in the world don't equal the power of one slap to the head. My coaches got physical with us, and it made us better. In fact, it showed us that we needed to be fearless. If a 50 year old man is man enough to slap around a jacked up 21 year old kid who is in war mindset, then no one has the right to be scared to stick their nose in and make a tackle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back