The best band names

Hollywood Naitch

The current reigning and defending
We have already had a thread looking at what people believe are the worst band names of all time, so I thought "hey, lets do the opposite".

Here are mine

BLACK LABEL SOCIETY- To me, it sounds like a biker club or something, which actually suits what Zakk's band are all about. BLS make music for rough, tough bikers and they have the perfect band name in my opinion. Plus, the "Black Label" part links with the booze that they knock back...which by all accounts is alot lol.

Machine Head- This just makes me think of a loud, heavy band, smashing pieces of metal together, like a kind of Terminator. Which, I suppose, is kinda like how Machine Head are. A loud, brutal, heavy metal band. The name suits perfectly.

Audioslave- I think of this band name as meaning that your ears are a slave to you as you hear the bands music, as they blast the "Audio" into your mind. It is one of the coolest sounding band names out there

Nirvana- Nirvana is a place of peace, of tranquility where everything is perfect. However, to Kurt Cobain, life was anything but. I like how the band name is the complete opposite of how he felt inside. Also, its just a cool sounding name

Smile Empty Soul- Sean Danielson (lead singer/guitarist) of this band said that the name originally was the first song he had ever written and said the name talks about how society walks around with fake smiles, but yet their souls are dying on the inside. He said it also is a reflection of his lyrics, and anyone who listens to SES, you can tell Sean's lyrics are quite depressing at first, but make you feel really good. He said its to let people know that they don't have to be alone in what they are going through because he has been in that place before.

RED- Lol i know you're like wtf, but this is a pretty unknown christian rock band, who bear a little resemblence to Breaking Benjamin. They say their name represents the blood that Christ shed and they also said its short for "Redemption" which is pretty much the basis that faith revolves around. Short and simple but with a powerful point.

Killswitch Engage- Come on. That name is just fucking awesome

A great band name is one that rolls of the tounge and that everyone knows. Whenever you hear this name, you should instantly be able to think of one of their songs.
So the best are The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who etc. None of this death and murder shit that we get these days.

Killswitch Engage- Come on. That name is just fucking awesome

Indeed, I gotta give it up for that.

Marilyn Manson: The amalgam of hollywoods tragic sex idol, and Americas most reviled murderer and manipulator. I can't think of a cooler idea for a band name. And the fact that the band itself took names of murderers and blended them together.

Birthday Massacre: A bit cliche but it is just great sounding when on a concert bill.

Orgy: Self explanatory. They describe their sound as Death Pop, but the band name fits even better as a description as well as band name. Its like audio sex.

I dunno, but for some reason I like the word "Stone" in a band name. There are quite a few bands that have this that have decent names...

The Rolling Stones
Stone Roses
Stone Sour
Queens Of The Stone Age

and my 2 personal favourites

Stone Temple Pilots
and
Black Stone Cherry.

Also, band names that have contrasts in them work pretty well too. For example Velvet Revolver, The Stone Roses and Guns N Roses all have something violent and soft in the name. I think thats pretty sweet

I dunno, but for some reason I like the word "Stone" in a band name.

You like it elemental, huh? Me, too......so my favorite name was "The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band."

My second favorite was "The Lovin' Spoonful"

...and my third favorite was a kid's band that was named by John Sebastian....."The Ghastly Crumb Tinies."

There is also a local band in my city that is pretty well known called "Legacy Of A Downfall" I think that is a hell of a tight name, but to add on so this post wont count as spam,

30 Seconds To Mars- Its just an overall cool sounding name and Jared Leto (lead Singer) stated it pretty much describes every aspect of the band, they are kind of a, not really sure how to say it, but "fantasy" sounding band, and I think the name suits them perfectly, this may sound corny but I really feel like im in another world when I listen to their music

The Beatles - It's hard to believe that after almost 50 years of The Beatles, a 'beatle' isn't an actual word. It was an amalgamation of 'The Beetles' (a tribute to Buddy Holly and The Crickets) and the word 'beat'. It is so ingrained into everyone's mind and lexicon that you don't give it a seconds thought. Of course some of that is to do with the actual band and it's success, but it is also a sharp name. Quick and easy to remember. I feel it may have influenced their success somewhat.

This may sound a bit strange but I'm also going to say The Spice Girls. What a name! It is a name which captures the group perfectly. They were 1990s icons, all five members. Their icon status were down to their gimmicks. Sporty, Posh, Scary, Ginger and Baby Spice all had a unique look and image. This has ingrained them into pop culture history and I think that their name has played a large part in it. The Spice Girls evokes an image of female independence (indeed, 'girl power' was greatly associated with the group) and it is different to other all-female groups of the time.

Wu Tang Clan, nothing compares with it.

Also, at summer school this year I made a list of band names because my dad and his buds were looking for one, can't find the list, but I can remember some of 'em.

Iris The Hooker and Her Random School Supplies

Morgan Freemans Penis

Hitler and the Malnourished Jews

The Pope and his gang of thoroughly molested 8 year olds.

I'll keep looking for the list and post the rest of 'em.

Theo and the Bearded Babies. That is of course if I had a band and had to choose a name.

Gnarls Barkley (just because I love Sir Charles)
Lynyrd Skynard

The Angelic Diablos haha you gotta admit that would be a great band name.

I think Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, and Megadeth sound really cool

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Paramore, System of a Down, Arch Enemy, Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Rush yet.

They're pretty cool names. Maybe Anthrax, Saliva and Union Underground aswell.

Gorillaz, Green Day,The Butterfly Effect, ColdPlay, Slayer, AC/DC, Evermore, SilverChair, Cobra Starship.

Puscifer: It is the combination of Luscifer and pussy. Hardcore name.

The Doors: They named themselves such because in their opinion drugs were a door to open the mind, man. Also hardcore.

Megadeth: Mega. Death. Come on people that's rad.

Black Sabbath: Sabbath: A time of worship. Black: Obvious

I think mine right now is Jamie Jasta's new band Kingdom of Sorrow. I really like the way they are playing, it was deffinatly a good choice to get Kirk Windstein in the band because he's a fucking beast.

Bullet For My Valentine, Scorpions, Deep Purple...

Wow cant believe i forgot about those name.

New Found Glory, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, The Gaslight Anthem, Motion City Soundtrack, Social Distortion, Rancid, the Strokes, Bad Religion, Hoobastank [ok, I don't really care for the name, but I think it's fitting because there's always been some crazy speculation about where their name came from.] just to name a few.

I'm also a fan of musicians names being in the name of the band:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Butch Walker and the Black Widows, Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back