The 2010 Home Run Derby

Who Do You Think Will Win the Home Run Derby?

• David Ortiz

• Corey Hart

• Robinson Cano

• Matt Holliday

• Miguel Cabrera

• Vernon Wells

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Insano Shiekh

Certified Mother Lover
Six All-Star players have committed to participate in the 2010 State Farm Home Run Derby, Major League Baseball announced Tuesday.

Representing the American League are the Red Sox's David Ortiz, the Tigers' Miguel Cabrera, the Yankees' Robinson Cano and the Jays' Vernon Wells.

The two National League participants include the Brewers' Corey Hart and the Cardinals' Matt Holliday.

Not quite the lineup that I expected, but I'm excited that Matt Holliday is hitting in the Derby this year, and I have hope that he can take a win home this year for the NL. Honestly, I just don't think that Big Papi has what it takes, because this isn't an actual MLB games, and on a report from Baseball Tonight, he said the following,

"I can't mess up my swing, I already try to hit homeruns."

Well, there's a difference between trying and actually hitting homeruns. I think that he'll go down in possibly the second round, but it's not likely he'll make it to the finals for me.

Also, there's been a lot of down talk about Robinson Cano joining the Home-Run Derby, even by Joe Girardi. Here's what some people had to say:

While Cano felt honored that he was asked, Yankees manager Joe Girardi and hitting coach Kevin Long were less than enthused. They understand, they said, there is prestige in the invite, but worried about the impact it could have on Cano's second half.

"Physically, I think is somewhat of a grind," Girardi said.

He added that the decision to participate is solely Cano's.

"I would rather him probably not to do it," Long said. "But I can understand him doing it and the excitement of it. It's a pretty neat honor."

And what's even worse is that Cano didn't speak to Long nor Girardi before accepting the invitation. What do you all think this means, and what are your predictions?

As a Blue Jays fan, I'll be rooting for Wells to win the HRD. He seems to have gotten his swing back this season and it's possible that he can hit a groove in the Derby and win it. It would give some good exposure to Toronto as well.

I think the other 2 threats are Holliday and Cabrera since both have power and good swings. I agree with you that Ortiz will not have a good showing. I think he's past his time to be honest and he just doesn't have it anymore.

An update for this: Apparently Robinson Cano has pulled out of the HRD citing back issues. However, with both his hitting coach and his head coach publicly stating their displeasure with him participating in the HRD, Cano may of pulled out because of them. Either way, Cano is out and now the MLB will have to find another player to take part.

An update for this: Apparently Robinson Cano has pulled out of the HRD citing back issues. However, with both his hitting coach and his head coach publicly stating their displeasure with him participating in the HRD, Cano may of pulled out because of them. Either way, Cano is out and now the MLB will have to find another player to take part.

This comes really as no surprise. With both coaches letting it be known that they don't like him playing in the Derby, and with the whole thing about falling off in the 2nd half, it was a decision that had to be made. I didn't consider him one of the favorites going into the Derby so its not a big loss.

I figured Cano would drop out, as his coachers were not happy, and he is too important to the Yankees right now for him to lose his swing for the Home run derby.

My favorite to win his Corey Hart, as he has the endurance and the power to win this competition. I don't see Vernon or Papi doing to well in this for some reason.

My second pick is Matt Holliday, although I prefer him not to be in this as Holliday has too good of a swing to risk it for this competition, but I see him doing well in this competition. I see an Angels guy getting in this as a sleeper to win though.

So with Robinson Cano out, I figure it is time to post a new question:

Who else do you think could participate in the HRD?

I personally would like to see some more NL participants, maybe David Wright. The stars are "stepping down" to give some other guys a chance, but I don't think it's a good idea. Just because you want to give some new stars in the MLB a chance doesn't mean that you can't participate and give the fans an exciting Home-Run Derby. I'd like to see Jason Heyward participate, and maybe Pujols again, just to give some star factor to it.

Your thoughts on the new matter?

So with Robinson Cano out, I figure it is time to post a new question:

Who else do you think could participate in the HRD?

I personally would like to see some more NL participants, maybe David Wright. The stars are "stepping down" to give some other guys a chance, but I don't think it's a good idea. Just because you want to give some new stars in the MLB a chance doesn't mean that you can't participate and give the fans an exciting Home-Run Derby. I'd like to see Jason Heyward participate, and maybe Pujols again, just to give some star factor to it.

Your thoughts on the new matter?

i think Jose Bautista of TOR will replace Cano because well as of now he leads the Majors in HRs with 23 (he should be in the Derby already alone because of that & yes he did make the All Star team lol)

& yes Captain Insano there will be more NL participants since the initial announcement only listed 6 participants (4 from the AL & 2 from the NL and annually there are 8 total with 4 from each league) but tonight they announced Hanley will be participating so that leaves 1 spot left from the NL which IMO will go to Joey Votto since he leads the NL in HRs with 22 & he just made the All Star team by winning the Final Vote (had he made it initially he wouldve already been announced as one of the participants) & plus Pujols and Howard have already said no to participating in it & last year's winner didnt even make the All Star team this yr (Prince Fielder)

so the list should look like this by Monday night:
AL- Miguel Cabrera, David Ortiz, Vernon Wells, & Jose Bautista (replacing Cano)
NL- Corey Hart, Matt Holliday, Hanley Ramirez, & Joey Votto

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back